• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Model 500

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

Jumpman to the Rescue:

C664-0000-0047-837E

Thanks!

Alright gonna be playing your guys' levels for a few hours. Quote me if you'd like me to play yours, and then I'll give some short feedback on here in bursts.

If you wouldn't mind giving mine a try, would love to get some more people playing! And if you have any you would like me to play just list them and I will try them also!

Maze of Madness
E692-0000-003E-60F1
Multiple paths to the exit, 3 hidden 1-ups and watch out for other hidden boxes for other goodies!

Wait for it!!
FB8F-0000-0049-23A0
This one I attempted to go for a more classic Mario feel. It has a hidden exit and 3 hidden 1-ups.

Thud

I'm planning on playing and critiquing a couple GAF levels. Please reply with your level. I prefer more attempts at fair Mario levels, no Kaizu stuff and My First Level please.

Alright gonna be playing your guys' levels for a few hours. Quote me if you'd like me to play yours, and then I'll give some short feedback on here in bursts.

Take your pick!

Bowser's Castle 64 [SMB]
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D

Cave Trolls [SMW]
8274-0000-0043-CBB2
Pick the pipe :)

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day) [NSMBU]
2BBD-0000-003F-47B9

Marioary [SMW]
73FC-0000-0028-6208

I'm planning on playing and critiquing a couple GAF levels. Please reply with your level. I prefer more attempts at fair Mario levels, no Kaizu stuff and My First Level please.

Critique Away!!!

Maze of Madness
E692-0000-003E-60F1
Multiple paths to the exit, 3 hidden 1-ups and watch out for other hidden boxes for other goodies!

Wait for it!!
FB8F-0000-0049-23A0
This one I attempted to go for a more classic Mario feel. It has a hidden exit and 3 hidden 1-ups.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

You Say Hello, and I Say Goodsky : 1AAB-0000-0049-7FAA

If anyone else has any comments, thoughts, etc on the stage I would love to hear it.

jholmes

Really fun level with a good staging. Do you have any others?

Yeah, a bunch.

The Spring's the Thing (just the basic tileset): F6DA-0000-0016-3AD4
Big Trouble: 3B43-0000-0016-FFC2
Shell Shock (the TMNT homage level): 0CCD-0000-001D-9748
Buzzy's Cavern: D2D2-0000-0026-9161
Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F
Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress: 92AB-0000-0032-4720
Magicant: A30E-0000-003E-82AB
Kubrick the Koopa's Hideout (My 1-1 level submission): 2A29-0000-004C-0556

Wanna try Caramel Cliffs?

F7F6-0000-0049-5E19

Keeping Track
15F9-0000-004D-5DC3

Started as a SMB3 course, and it's what it felt right as. Experimenting with secret blocks and warp pipes.

WVW69iZmxawNJyFu_M

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When I was little and lived in my old hometown, I had a friend named Michael.

Michael was like a character out of an 80's kid-focused adventure flick, the cool, wise-beyond-his-years kid who knew all the cusswords and taught the rest of the kids the best way to piss off old folks. His parents were going through a rather violent separation, and I was only allowed to visit his house on the occasions that his father was out of town and his grandmother came over to watch him, which became increasingly more and more frequent towards the end of his parent's relationship.

But whenever I went to his house, it was magical. Dude was an absolute Nintendo maniac, and he was relatively loaded for my neighborhood---he had all the systems, and a ton of games, many of them bootlegs if I remember. He had this one weird off-brand Chinese version of Super Mario Bros. 3, which just had one level playable---or, so I think, because the first time I asked to borrow it (not realizing it wasn't actually Mario 3, he tricked me in exchange for letting him borrow an X-Men game I owned!), the initial level seemed to glitch out. Basically, when you reached the "dark" part of the level where the goal should be, it just wrapped back around in on itself over, and over, and over. I thought perhaps there was some secret to beat it---some hidden route to go through---but could never figure it out. I spent literally an entire night searching every nook and cranny for a hidden block, but never found it. I actually ended up oversleeping the next day, and missed the bus. Incidentally, that was the last time I ever saw Michael---I found out when I got to school later that his father had set their house on fire, and was arrested for arson. I lost my X-Men game in the fire, and all I had to show for it was a broken Chinese bootleg game that only had one unbeatable level. Michael's mom gained full custody of him right after that, and as this was before the Internet, I never saw him again. I still have the bootleg Super Mario Bros. 3 somewhere in my basement hidden in all the junk---one day I need to look up Michael and see how he's doing.

Anyway, in honor of that crazy Chinese bootleg, I created my own "endless level" in Mario Maker---or is it? Once more I went for atmosphere---I know people dislike these puzzle levels, but I wanted to try just one.

Eternal Staircase
WVW69iZmhbEOt1zcwS

9A05-0000-004D-4420

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

Ghost House
(BD90-0000-004A-D937)

If it's not too late. Enjoy!

At the request of daydream, I'm throwing up some of my better levels.

Podoboo Palace (Has Secret Exit)

B181-0000-0039-E7BA

WVW69iY14FIzA0DiWU

This was the first level I made when I started getting serious about making good levels. There's two different ways to reach the secret exit, but keep in mind that they're both found before you take the pipe to Bowser.

Chain Chomp Plain Romp

DAB9-0000-0041-2D72

WVW69iZHQxsoCeKugS

There's a pretty apparent gimmick to this one. There's also two different routes through, so make sure to play it twice (and search hard) if you want to see all it has to offer.

Sunken Spirits

2EA2-0000-0046-ED1A

WVW69iZVn_U0hml5FM

This one's a throwback to earlier SMW ghost houses. Short and sweet, with a overarching puzzle to figure out. Anyone that enjoyed robin64's Light and Shadow level may get a kick out of this one.

Ramsiege

Just made my first level. I haven't unlocked any tools beYOND the basics so I just wanted to make a normal, easy, early level type adventure. If I could get your opinions I would be grateful.

Less is More
DB14-0000-004D-6DA7

Try mine! 73A1-0000-0049-51EA
Titled "My Little Yoshi: Friendship is Tragic"

I think most would agree that it's a fair level, but it's fairly long. I don't troll you though, and the challenges are all on the easy-medium side if you're proficient with Mario.

i really enjoyed all the creative uses of Yoshi as well as the theme of them all dying. Lots of good stuff here. It's a great level that stretches the use of Every aspect of Yoshi; however, there are 3 general problems with your level (if the goal was to make it fit in a normal Mario game).

1. Some things are explained too much like a tutorial. At times it felt like Jump challenge 1, jump challenge 2, jump challenge 3, now slide challenge 1, then 2, and 3.
  2. The level was too hard and too many challenges were immediately fatal. It felt like the thrust of your level was to teach the player all these aspects of Yoshi, but you kill off the player as they are learning. The first ducking challenge was a saw blade, why not just a low block? unless Yoshi can't duck a low block?
  3. Finally, the level was was too long for how hard it was.

If I were to improve the level I would first make it less fatal (except for the Yoshis). I cut the number of Yoshi abilities used by half and mix and combine them more.

Despite these it was a fun level with a great theme! Starred!

nikos

First course. Short and basic, as I'm using only the starting tools, but there's sort of a rhythm to it.

95D2-0000-004D-8A10

Jims

I have finished my third level. It is another "high concept" level. This one was extremely, extremely ambitious, so it took a really long time to design.

Level Name: Gravity Flip Ghost House!
ID: CB8E-0000-004D-6E5B
Features: A ghost house with a gravity flip mechanic! Every time you enter a pipe, the whole level flips upside down. This leads to some rather devious Super Mario World puzzles, and includes 3 separate exits. See if you can find the super secret exit and score the five 1-Ups at the end!

8CYhwcW.png

I officially quit making high concept levels now. They take way too much time and planning. Literally, adding one extra passage in places would completely break the puzzle because the reverse-gravity part would open up something I didn't mean it to. The super secret exit ended up happening by complete accident, when I realized the gravity flip mechanic and level design accidentally allowed for you to go somewhere I didn't expect. I had a lot of fun framing stuff, where you can kind of see something in advance, but can't get to it until later.

This level kind of took over my brain for awhile, so I'm going to quit designing and play through some of you guys' levels. I still owe jholmes some plays. Hit me up (quote, PM) if you want me to do a mini-review and I'll go through a bunch of them at once.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alright GAF, I will be streaming NeoGAF stages starting at roughly 9PM Pacific Time Zone. That will be roughly less than an hour from now on !

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Please quote this and give me a stage to play. I am not the best Mario player, so I will do my best to complete as many stages as possible :) Anyways, be gentle on me, GAF and give me your stages ! Hope I am able to provide you guys feedback from a non-pro Mario players. I've seen a few GAF members play Mario stages like a champ. That won't be me, haha !

kiryogi

Banned

Would absolutely love feedback!

Alright GAF, I will be streaming NeoGAF stages starting at roughly 9PM Pacific Time Zone. That will be roughly less than an hour from now on !

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Please quote this and give me a stage to play. I am not the best Mario player, so I will do my best to complete as many stages as possible :) Anyways, be gentle on me, GAF and give me your stages !

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab ! ! ! !
0B04-0000-0049-57CA

A Ghost House themed like an abandoned lab with overgrown monstrosities and lots of ghosts! Travel through various paths and puzzle rooms. Remember to not trust the arrow signs!

Sinvej7.jpg

Finished my newest level!!! I spent 2 days designing it. My first 2 levels were the super mario world theme so I decided to try something new and went with Mario 3. Its designed to be a mid level difficult stage with a slightly more difficult part. Really would appreciate if some of you would try it and give me feedback.

Under a Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

yH4Hu1r.jpg

Jims

Please quote this and give me a stage to play. I am not the best Mario player, so I will do my best to complete as many stages as possible :) Anyways, be gentle on me, GAF and give me your stages !

Awesome. I'll check it out when you start.

Try out the new stage I posted. I'd love to see how it plays for another person. It's got a lot of Super Mario World puzzles in it. I think the puzzles are pretty standard and there aren't too many enemies, the gimmick just makes it different.

Level Name: Gravity Flip Ghost House!
ID: CB8E-0000-004D-6E5B
Features: A ghost house with a gravity flip mechanic! Every time you enter a pipe, the whole level flips upside down. This leads to some rather devious Super Mario World puzzles, and includes 3 separate exits. See if you can find the super secret exit and score the five 1-Ups at the end!

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

You can try this one if you would like:

Maze of Madness
E692-0000-003E-60F1

Stoze

First few done:
065E-0000-004D-326C

I guess I'll do the same and play people's levels for a little while.

Satisfying to play through, but really, really short (better than too long though). Objects feel like they’re a little too close together, could space them out more horizontally. I do like how you can bust use the P-block though to get through the door or use the Tanooki tail up top.

I think my courses are difficult, so if you don't want to play them, I understand.

Here's one that 2 people so far have played a couple of times and gave up.

The Water Armada: D2AC-0000-0040-4CAD

Beat it! It was actually surprisingly fun and intense dodging all that stuff. Big problem though; I made it right near the end on my second try and found the p-switch, the problem was the Lakitu’s had spawned a bunch of spinys just floating around it while I was killing the hammer bros, making it impossible to progress without getting hit and dying. So I would take them out. The other thing, take out the bloopers man. They aren’t a good enemy, just terrible pathing on them. I don’t even know why Nintendo created those little bastards.

yVptvgr.jpg

Chain Chomp Zoo
5AE2-0000-0030-E6D6

tNssBQg.jpg

Shell Dome
E489-0000-0046-D2E4

Okay, chain chomp level was seriously fantastic. Loved the stop and go pacing and cautious playstyle, the chainchomps on the tracks, and even a well-constructed invisiblock->secret pipe. Only critcism is maybe make the player a bit more aware of the second, lower route during the last third of the level, didn’t think there was ground or platforms there even after trying to check. Unless that’s supposed to be a secret thing I missed in which case…shame on me.
Shell Dome; Took me a bit to wrap my head around the map and layout, but really cool level and theme. I think it’s a bit too cramped though in a few places, like the pipe that’s just below a platform; accidentally jumped up a level which meant going all the way around when I just wanted to go to the left and open the door.

Great stuff so far, followed all y'all. Gonna take a 10 min break to eat and then I'll keep cranking through them.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hope I am able to provide you guys feedback from a non-pro Mario players. I've seen a few GAF members play Mario stages like a champ. That won't be me, haha !

New stage!
NSMBU Tileset
"Castlemania 3: Bowser's Curse"

CPPFRFOWoAACL2O.jpg:large

My first experimentation with a full three act structure.

It's not great because I made the acts too distinct and the last one is super short because the level was getting long. I think otherwise it came out pretty well, though.

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

Please quote this and give me a stage to play. I am not the best Mario player, so I will do my best to complete as many stages as possible :) Anyways, be gentle on me, GAF and give me your stages ! Hope I am able to provide you guys feedback from a non-pro Mario players. I've seen a few GAF members play Mario stages like a champ. That won't be me, haha !

Might as well play this one.

You had me curious! I felt like I only got the emoticon and the tweet jokes, not sure what everything else was supposed to be.
you slide into DMs. You think of a good tweet idea and it turns out to be hot/fire. Stars are people giving you favorites and 1-ups are RTs. The bird sound effect is you sending the tweet. Then you think of another tweet and you get flamed (too far, offensive, not funny)

Critique Away!!!

Wait for it!!
FB8F-0000-0049-23A0

Make a level about waiting before moving forward, making a jump that requires dangerous backtracking if missed, or about challenges. Not all 3. The opening puzzle was cute... The first time. On multiple deaths it gets annoying. It was also glitchy in that I had to restart 3 or 4 times due to the turtle shell getting stuck.

On the right side of the cave I thought the wall jumping puzzle was a little too precise to not take damage. The long jump requiring a bullet bill hop was a little too tricky to come out of the blue like that. I fell the first time or two (requiring me to do the wall jump section again). If you want to include a section like this consider a few challenges that ramp up the difficulty to this blind bullet bill hop. The jumping to a single block surrounded by spineys is not necessarily hard but it is extra challenge that your level did not need at that point. The turtle section that comes afterwards took way too long to break the blocks, that or it glitches out and took a while to set back into place.

The furthest I got was the section with the flame jets and hammer bro. I made a mistake here and was frustrated enough to call it quits here.

Overall the idea of watching shells bounce a round to break some necessary piece was cute and some iteration on this could provide some interesting results, but the challenge then has to be super low as not to frustrate the player when they die and have to try it again.

Ranger X

Ok I revamped my first levels so they are more balanced and have more stuff to do/find in it.

Concept is still the same. If you preserve the unique mushroom, the level will be quite easy. If you lose it, the level can be completed but its hard!

WVW69iZbPH4vqLiHta

Easier With Mushroom 01(remix)
(BFDD-0000-0049-1F07)

WVW69iZbZosmDjKAuN

Easier With Mushroom 02(remix)
(7471-0000-0049-2A31)

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

2F61-0000-004A-7347
Wily's castle 2-1

Okay, chain chomp level was seriously fantastic. Loved the stop and go pacing and cautious playstyle, the chainchomps on the tracks, and even a well-constructed invisiblock->secret pipe. Only critcism is maybe make the player a bit more aware of the second, lower route during the last third of the level, didn’t think there was ground or platforms there even after trying to check. Unless that’s supposed to be a secret thing I missed in which case…shame on me.
Shell Dome; Took me a bit to wrap my head around the map and layout, but really cool level and theme. I think it’s a bit too cramped though in a few places, like the pipe that’s just below a platform; accidentally jumped up a level which meant going all the way around when I just wanted to go to the left and open the door.
Thanks for the feedback! On the Chain Chomp one, that was a thing I was curious about. On one hand, the path is supposed to be secret, but on the other hand I don't think there is enough to suggest it.

As for Shell Dome, it definitely does get pretty cramped and I was pretty pressed for vertical space, though I think I could lower that pipe in particular a bit, at least, I think I could, I'm not looking at it right now so I could be remembering incorrectly.

Theorymon

ShibaFan Gaming LIVE

If I'm not too late, here's a stage people seem to love!

The Goomba: A Sad Tale of Madness BDAB-0000-0033-2697

Take your pick!

Cave Trolls [SMW]
8274-0000-0043-CBB2
Pick the pipe :)

Really short! I played it a 2nd time just to see what was in that bottom door. It's generally fine as a level mostly to have fun and try to be cute in but I said I'd critique so here I go...

The biggest problem is that the P switch needed to beat the stage isn't telegraphed at all. I could see someone missing it completely and getting frustrated. There is a feather on the bottom path but if they use up the mushroom and take a hit they can't get to it, or they could take a hit with the feather, too. Both of these could be solved by providing them with pipe dispensers. I don't know if that would make it too easy but whatever.

The death trap door is probably a no no. Not a big deal since it comes so soon but I think more of an imminent death that the player can run from is preferable. Think that Bowser door in the Nintendo World Championships level.

Finally, I'd have liked to have seen a way for a skilled player to beat it through the thwomp/ bob omb door. Make it hard as hell and only give them 1 bomb to make the path. This is all fine since it's clearly hard as hell and they have other paths to try if they wish.

i really enjoyed all the creative uses of Yoshi as well as the theme of them all dying. Lots of good stuff here. It's a great level that stretches the use of Every aspect of Yoshi; however, there are 3 general problems with your level (if the goal was to make it fit in a normal Mario game).

1. Some things are explained too much like a tutorial. At times it felt like Jump challenge 1, jump challenge 2, jump challenge 3, now slide challenge 1, then 2, and 3.
  2. The level was too hard and too many challenges were immediately fatal. It felt like the thrust of your level was to teach the player all these aspects of Yoshi, but you kill off the player as they are learning. The first ducking challenge was a saw blade, why not just a low block? unless Yoshi can't duck a low block?
  3. Finally, the level was was too long for how hard it was.

If I were to improve the level I would first make it less fatal (except for the Yoshis). I cut the number of Yoshi abilities used by half and mix and combine them more.

Despite these it was a fun level with a great theme! Starred!

Thanks for your critique!! I really appreciate it. I've learned a LOT from seeing people try my level. I think you're right about it and I'll probably either make changes or alter the level entirely into a sequel level. I don't think it's particularly hard at any one point (I beat the level on my 2nd try, the long way)... obviously I know the intricacies of the level, but it does require you to be on point for a long time.

Did you manage to finish the level, or find any of the shortcuts?

Make a level about waiting before moving forward, making a jump that requires dangerous backtracking if missed, or about challenges. Not all 3. The opening puzzle was cute... The first time. On multiple deaths it gets annoying. It was also glitchy in that I had to restart 3 or 4 times due to the turtle shell getting stuck.

On the right side of the cave I thought the wall jumping puzzle was a little too precise to not take damage. The long jump requiring a bullet bill hop was a little too tricky to come out of the blue like that. I fell the first time or two (requiring me to do the wall jump section again). If you want to include a section like this consider a few challenges that ramp up the difficulty to this blind bullet bill hop. The jumping to a single block surrounded by spineys is not necessarily hard but it is extra challenge that your level did not need at that point. The turtle section that comes afterwards took way too long to break the blocks, that or it glitches out and took a while to set back into place.

The furthest I got was the section with the flame jets and hammer bro. I made a mistake here and was frustrated enough to call it quits here.

Overall the idea of watching shells bounce a round to break some necessary piece was cute and some iteration on this could provide some interesting results, but the challenge then has to be super low as not to frustrate the player when they die and have to try it again.

Thank you for the feedback I will definitely take that into account going forward. I don't know why that shell at the beginning is now getting stuck. I tested it so many times and It never got stuck. I will have to go back and take a look at that.

Top Bottom