• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Neki

Did play some of your guys stages tonight and recorded them while I was at it, with a bit of commentary.

Now, the video quality is pretty meh, but I figured it might be good enough for watching your own levels get played as feedback ;)

My commentary is probably hard to understand, too, I put down the game volume after the first part so it should be better after that, will sit closer to the micro when I do this again next time though.

The videos are on twitch as they are still getting rendered for youtube. Just tell me if you want to watch a part on youtube instead.

Part 1 including (starting at):
Axiom - Snake Oil
Neki - Traveller of the Cosmos (5:00)

Part 2
Neki - Traveller of the Cosmos (continuation)
Jocchan - Super Dude Bros. II 1-2 (0:12:30)
Schlomo - Escape from Koopatraz (0:21:00)
Schlomo - Dino cloning Lab (0:25:10)
WoopWoop - Cloud Bully (0:38:00)
CrisKre - A bob-omb of Ice and fire (0:44:20)
CrisKre - Corono Mountain: hat beats Lava (1:01:25)
Kirk - The Ghostess with the Mostest (1:06:40)
Anteo - I've been here before (1:25:20)
correojon - RtDL 4,5,6 (1:37:30)

Part 3
correojon - RtDL 6 (continuation)

@correojon I did run into some problems with your levels again, lol :D

btw I think you guys should slow down a bit with the reposts.

Thanks for playing my level. I always feel bad when people spend so much time on my level and die, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I didn't anticipate the first section being much harder than the second one though, it's weird! Also you showed me a lot of potential bugs. If anyone has any bug fixes or suggestions I'd love to hear them, because I will probably have to sadly take the level down tomorrow to fix them. :(

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
One for Halloween, to celebrate ghosts. I mostly made it just because I liked the "evil" smiley face for Mario 1 airship stages I could make. Also a bit of proof of concept for the idea of ghosts chasing you, and one I will make more use of for a later stage someday.
Take The Ghostly Copter : C9BC-0000-00C5-47FF
untitled-1cxu2s.jpg

Second one started off as a remake of Yoshi Island stage and somehow turned into multiple paths because there is not enough screen real estate and I never quite got comfortable replicating throwing things as Yoshi Island allowed.
Take A Path, Any Path : 598D-0000-00C5-890E
untitled-2teu0j.jpg

Comments, criticisms, improvements, all would be appreciated.

Now to try and catch up on all of your stages.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
UPDATE ON MY CHANNEL

I asked YouTube for clarification, this is the part they said I was "noncompliant" with:

What the fuck? I've never used a bot or a spider to do anything to my channel. I honestly don't even know how to.

What the fuck is going on?

So sorry to hear this is happening to your channel, friend ! Hope it gets resolved soon... I have no idea what's going on there.

Another update on my channel: It's back!

YouTube said that they've reviewed my channel and have determined it doesn't violate the ToS.

I still have no clue why any of this happened, but I'm glad it's back.

daydream

Banned

YouTube said that they've reviewed my channel and have determined it doesn't violate the ToS.

there are jokers out there who just like to report channels for the heck of it, i think. wouldn't rush to blame nintendo in this case without knowing for sure

there are jokers out there who just like to report channels for the heck of it, i think. wouldn't rush to blame nintendo in this case without knowing for sure
Yeah, I think you're right. I jumped the gun and assumed it was Nintendo but at this point I just think some guy got pissed that I gave him a timeout during my last stream when he was harassing my other viewers.

So glad it got resolved! Love your channel.
Thank you! :D

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yay, tentakul is back!

Did play some of your guys stages tonight and recorded them while I was at it, with a bit of commentary.

Now, the video quality is pretty meh, but I figured it might be good enough for watching your own levels get played as feedback ;)

My commentary is probably hard to understand, too, I put down the game volume after the first part so it should be better after that, will sit closer to the micro when I do this again next time though.

The videos are on twitch as they are still getting rendered for youtube. Just tell me if you want to watch a part on youtube instead.

Axiom - Snake Oil
Neki - Traveller of the Cosmos (5:00)

Part 2
Neki - Traveller of the Cosmos (continuation)
Jocchan - Super Dude Bros. II 1-2 (0:12:30)
Schlomo - Escape from Koopatraz (0:21:00)
Schlomo - Dino cloning Lab (0:25:10)
WoopWoop - Cloud Bully (0:38:00)
CrisKre - A bob-omb of Ice and fire (0:44:20)
CrisKre - Corono Mountain: hat beats Lava (1:01:25)
Kirk - The Ghostess with the Mostest (1:06:40)
Anteo - I've been here before (1:25:20)
correojon - RtDL 4,5,6 (1:37:30)

Part 3
correojon - RtDL 6 (continuation)

btw I think you guys should slow down a bit with the reposts.
Thanks for playing mine :) Will watch the video later after work.

That is awesome hahaha he even has the NeoGaf logo on a pin! That game looked very Contra-ish too, that´s where the feeling came from. BTW, are you developing that game?
Yup! With a bunch of GAFfers, in the few(er and fewer) scraps of time left by my job.

Yeah I understood that part, it was very good and fresh. I had comments off, I must rememeber to turn them on when I replay it. I think I used the same pipe trick in Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree for the top P-Switch room, you overlapped two pipes, right?

Great, I´ll try to find everything next time!

Thanks, glad you liked them! RtDL6 also uses dual worlds like RtDL2, but it´s more tricky, when you play it please let me know which one you liked more.
I will! And yeah, you can do lots of interesting stuff by stacking pipes.

Same thing than CrisKre's level but much more: in your level, I felt more like a viewer than a player. A lot of mechanics don't actually require thought or skill, you just have to go through them. The part with the trampoline and the very high jump is also a bit confusing: since the scrolling doesn't follow Mario, you think there isn't any platform there. I then died at the flying Bob-omb part and quit.
Oh wow, this is one feedback I honestly wasn't expecting. I was unsure if the level was any good before and was actually surprised by all the positive reception it got, but not for this reason.

I guess you're mostly talking about the part in the subworld and not what came before it, right? That is meant to be a (spoilers)
sort-of-hallucination sequence, with the main goal to weird you out about what's going on
. It's actually pretty short and one-time, and funnily enough the checkpoint system exists to get you back exactly where you said you died (so, if you got the passcode, whose importance I tried to stress by putting it in a mandatory room with just the code and nothing else, you don't have to go through the whole sequence twice).

At least that was the goal. Hopefully the execution was up to snuff, even if in your case it seems it didn't convey everything well enough (again, if I'm not misunderstanding your post).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I forgot to ask in my post before, but if anyone has ideas on how to try and replicate or at least get close to the feeling of Yoshi Island egg throwing, I would love to hear it. Simply picking up and throwing up enemies/shells doesn't really seem to do it.

Oh and thank you for anyone who has played any of my stages. Stars or not, I appreciate it and I hope they gave you some bit of fun.

Youtube is just strange with all the changes going on for it's new services. Screwed up the programming they use and how easy it is for false reports to get through. Glad to see it back.

Hey everybody,

I've just finished a new stage. It started with a simple idea of a thing I love in Super Mario that is missing in Mario Maker : the 3 hidden coins challenge. And because it's really too easy to create the hardest it became :
3coins.jpg

It's not that difficult to finish the stage, but finishing with the 3 coins, that's another story !

One thing I'm not happy with this stage, it's how I wanted to use the black background to achieve some visual tricks with moving enemies and platforms... way too difficult to achieve for me :-/

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy it, feedback always welcome !

I won't say it's cruel, but I may have shaken my fist at you when I thought I got to the row of coins and wasn't sure what to do next for half a minute. Coin finding though, that took me two attempts and I'm interested in playing more like this now.

WVW69ifCuc8cFZncfo

Mr. Bone's Spooky House.
(5333-0000-00AB-46EB)

Just messing around with ghost house stuff really.

Nice and simple for a ghost stage. I liked the hidden drop.

New level.

This one turned almost into an (unintended) sequel to my Grand Vertical Adventure course. It has a pretty moderate difficulty curve, a bit of an adventurous feel and features quite a bit of verticality.

M9xZBjz.png

Amazing work as usual. Making it a construction zone with all the little touches, the "crane wires" holding the pipe up in particular, were brilliant. A lot of fun to go through it just to see what you built and played.

The Journey to Yoshi's Home! (Bad name, I know)
CEC5-0000-00AC-403E

wiiu_screenshot_gamepoju66.jpg

I'm very very pleased with how this level turned out. First time I planned a level out on paper, and I think it turned out really well. It's everything I've wanted to do in level but never felt I could before, which is making a traditional style level that uses many different mechanics without feeling chaotic or overwhelming. Normally I make traditional style levels that focus on a single idea.

Anyways,hopefully ye like it!

That was a lot of fun. The starting part of going around in a circle with a vine made me smile as it was so unexpected for me. The fact it was linear, yet still made me want look around to the left or down, made for a very good stage design.

For as many different ideas you may have used, it never felt like it was too much or distracting. Good work.

As there is nothing blocking up top, it's rather easy to skip the majority of the entire stage due to that. Beyond that it's a fun stage when I took my time with it. Nice to see Fire Emblem characters, those seem to be lacking as go to outfits.

I picked up the 30th anniversary amiibo. Totally worth it, or at least downloading a level with the big mushroom to use in level creation. My first creation just goofing around with it.

WVW69ifzEBACtYZ_Fa

I'm a bit jealous of that amiibo, as making stages with it does seem like a lot of fun.

I'm afraid I didn't have that great of a time with this one however. The constant flow of giant mushrooms was great, as were the doors to reset things, but it's far too easy to destroy the blocks needed to move forward.

A bit of leeway would go a long way to making it more bearable, without sacrificing any of the platforming fun or smashing through things.

Finally had some time to play this again and polished off what I think is a challenging, but fair level. I'm aiming for special/ super star road difficulty. The stage has my take on a snake platform, fire jets, thwomps and 4-1ups (yeah, still wanted to let you get 3 if you skip a section). There are also shortcuts and some "script breaking" if you know some of the lesser known abilities mario has. These aspects allow someone to collect every coin in the stage in one run.

Skull King's Keep - C45C-000-00B1-0C27
k6F9byv.jpg

You'll find an easier version at

Skull King's Keep: Helmet Edition - 83BB-0000-00B5-DE50

Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Good work on this one. Nice set up allowing the player to face a lot of danger, but always have time to react properly, especially with the snaking platform. I have no complaints as you did succeed at making it challenging like a special level should be early on.

Edit: Never mind. I saw you did an update to the stage and made it more consistent for the mushroom, spacing of things, and added the helmet. Well that takes away any things I had to speak on.

Fire flower seems a bit superfluous, while something like a Yoshi might feel more rewarding and a lot more useful for anyone that managed to get to that section.

correojon

Part 2
Part 3

I´ve watched only your first attempt at Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree, you broke the level in 2 ways in the first 30 seconds lol. Watching you get lost has been incredibly useful, I was getting this complaint a lot but couldn´t figure out what to change; now I have some ideas, thanks a lot! BTW, before dying you broke the level again XD I´ll watch the rest of the stream later at home ;)

Thank you very much for your feedback, but I will clarify a few things.

1) The Lakitu encounters are not boss fights; the change in music is simply meant to telegraph their arrival
2) I put the P-Switch there on purpose because I like presenting risk/reward scenarios to the player
1) Ther really are no bosses in SMM, but the way you set it is what is usually called a boss (change in music, closed room, no other substantial obstacles...). The thing is that they add nothing to the gameplay as you can easily skip them. Maybe you could block the path to the pipe with some coins and a P Switch activated by an enemy offscreen, so the player is forced to spend some time Lakitu.

2)Oh, ok, the way it was presented looked like you may have not taken that into account. I think it would be better if you put something right next to the P-Switch that forces Mario to become small to pass, like a Grinder taking all the space or a spike leaving only 1 square of space to pass, that will make it look deliberate.

Being subscribed to Correojon on youtube is a treat

I love mario maker videos
Thanks! I started this mainly to give feedback to the creators, but it´s nice to see it´s being enjoyed by more people :)

Good news!

Simbabbad

I guess you're mostly talking about the part in the subworld and not what came before it, right?
No, I'm not talking about the hallucination part, I'm talking about the level design in general, it's very "do this one thing and then this one" without the player having much freedom.

JC Sera

I´ve watched only your first attempt at Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree, you broke the level in 2 ways in the first 30 seconds lol. Watching you get lost has been incredibly useful, I was getting this complaint a lot but couldn´t figure out what to change; now I have some ideas, thanks a lot! BTW, before dying you broke the level again XD I´ll watch the rest of the stream later at home ;)

1) Ther really are no bosses in SMM, but the way you set it is what is usually called a boss (change in music, closed room, no other substantial obstacles...). The thing is that they add nothing to the gameplay as you can easily skip them. Maybe you could block the path to the pipe with some coins and a P Switch activated by an enemy offscreen, so the player is forced to spend some time Lakitu.

Thanks! I started this mainly to give feedback to the creators, but it´s nice to see it´s being enjoyed by more people :)

Good news!
:D

Btw I've seen videos of 3 different people play my level now and it super useful for figuring out how to do better. I removed the massive cheese shortcut, but left the other two in
which I noticed you found pretty much immediately found in your video

when check points are released I'm going to put one at the start of the ice area, and incremental powerups in the hammer bro section

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Yeah, I think you're right. I jumped the gun and assumed it was Nintendo but at this point I just think some guy got pissed that I gave him a timeout during my last stream when he was harassing my other viewers.

Glad to hear that it's back. Sucks that you were maybe potentially reported due to some disgruntled viewers :( Something about Mario Maker stream can sometimes bring out the worst of people. Very demanding and rude and just post code and demand you to play their level. Some viewers need to learn some civility for sure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks to both of you, correjon and JC Sera! It's amazing to hear such great impressions about one of my levels :D
@correjon: All my levels for NSMBM, so far, present several secrets, alongisde the placements of 1 Ups. It seems there was a good balance between apparent simplicity and discoverability in this one, nice.
And yes, JC Sera, since these are the levels from the 1st World of my own Mario game, they can't be difficult. Thus, I tested 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 to see if less skilled players could play them by using a rule posted by 645: walking across the level. 1-3 is the first level with sections where even children have to run to jump across specific platforms...but there were just two of them, the rest of the level could be played by simply walking.

Again, thanks for your enhusiastic feedback.

JC Sera

Thanks to both of you, correjon and JC Sera! It's amazing to hear such great impressions about one of my levels :D
@correjon: All my levels for NSMBM, so far, present several secrets, alongisde the placements of 1 Ups. It seems there was a good balance between apparent simplicity and discoverability in this one, nice.
And yes, JC Sera, since these are the levels from the 1st World of my own Mario game, they can't be difficult. Thus, I tested 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 to see if less skilled players could play them by using a rule posted by 645: walking across the level. 1-3 is the first level with sections where even children have to run to jump across specific platforms...but there were just two of them, the rest of the level could be played by simply walking.

Again, thanks for your enhusiastic feedback.
thats a really good rule of thumb, I'll remember that for the next time I make an easy level

Dimentios

Conclusion: Awesome level to play and great to study to learn more about amazing design.

Wow, thank you very much. It is indeed true, although the level seems quite simple, I put tons of effort into it. I'm glad it's appreciated.
And I don't think all my levels have that great of a design. So chances are, your first interpretations of some of my other levels are justified.

You might wanna check out, if not yet done, Carnivore Hollows (1CAE-0000-0062-93FD), my most successful level yet, (since being promoted by nintendo on their offical super mario maker website). It is again quiet simple, but I liked the idea.
The chain chomps always fell in their pit, the skeletons in every pit... et cetera.

Thx for covering my level. I gladly will play some of yours in the following days.

wow the glacier cocktail level is really something
super pretty and I love the falling ice blocks mechanic!
also do you own the mabel amiibo

Thank you! :3
Nope, just a costume I won in 100-er Challenge.

correojon

3 more videos:
Firey Choices-- 9975-0000-00C3-323B
Could really use some feedback. If anybody else wants to give it a shot, that would be great too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2733pFEDU
A demanding obstacle course, which does something not usually seen in this type of levels and offers you 3 different routes to take. I could only beat one of them, the other 2 seemed too difficult and I was already a bit stressed after sucking repeteadly at SMM again. Anyway, it´s a nice detail and serves to differentiate this level from all the fast obstacles courses out there.
The second Mega Thwomp in the main path was too tight and after taking the jump Bowser flames will spawn from the right. If you didn´t make the fall perfectly the flames may force you to move a bit to left, so you won´t be able to get out of the way before the Mega Thwomp gets you. I would tweak this a little, because without getting through here once there´s no way to foresee the flames and I think all obstacles should be clearable at the first try.

I´m not sure about this one, but in the lower path I think there´s a jump you can´t make if you´re Big Mario (I died there on one of my attempts, I think you won´t have problems locating it but let me know otherwise).

The "extra" paths look really scary: one features really tight jumps with spikes and the other one has bouncing flames, lave pits, Hammer Bros and fire bars forcing you to deal with the Bros while the path opens. They provide a nice challenge for players who´re up to them. I think it´s a great idea branching the paths, as putting all obstacles in the main path would´ve made the level too hard and long, nice design decission. There are many different elements, but the challenges are well separated so it doesn´t become a mess and everything is well structured.

I found very original the jumps over spikes with Koopas between them, the last having both a Koopa and a Spiny. It was a nice evolution of a simple challenge using simple elements that totally changes how the challenge works. Very clever!

There´s a Super Mushroom at the start which can be easily skipped, it´s a nice secret however after many deaths it becomes a bit of a chore having to get it (you have to wait for a ParaKoopa to bounce on him and reach a higher ledge). Maybe you could make it more accessible.

Conclusion: Challenging obstacle course with 3 different paths to destroy you in many ways.

The Infamous Red Shell Heist (B7D7-0000-00B9-07BF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFT5g2oVLhg
I enjoyed this one. It´s a very fast paced obstacle course in which you really have more time than it seems, but the sense of urgency is nontheless well achieved: the pacing is fast, the SFX add to his urgency and you won´t know about the time being more than enough until you reach the goal. The obstacles themselves force the player to run continuosly without any other subterfuges like automatic scrolling or moving platforms (except for a little part). So the main objective, which is to communicate this urgency to the player is correctly achieved. There are also some safe platforms along the path which you´ll probably never use after a few tries, but are nice to separate some challenges and provide the player a place to get together, specially in the first tries.

You have to take a Red Shell with you from the start in a sequence that kinda reminds of stealing an item from an altar in a temple and firing up all the traps to escape in an Indiana Jones-y way. Many challenges very well communicated in advance to the player through coins and arrows; i really apreciated that. The whole level is short but intense, I don´t think it would really benefit from being longer: it´s designed as a short burst of adrenaline and achieves this perfectly.

A think I specially liked is that it uses few elemens, mainly Thwomps, however they provide a number of different challenges. This helps to keep the level consistent and also allows the player to instantly identify the challenges even when running at full speed.

Only minor complaint is the last Thwomp, which will most likely get you the first time as there´s no way to spot the platform that stops your fall with enough time to dodge it, dying there right next to the goal felt a bit trolling. Some coins next to the safe wall would be nice. However in no time I was back there with the lesson learned, the level being so intense and short helps in easily convincing the player to try again. The Blue Skull platform is also a bit glitchy as it´s easy to slide between each skull and fall to your death when you don´t know well how it works, but this is more Nintendo´s fault.

Conclusion: Nice short burst of adrenaline in a fast paced obstacle course with good guiding and consistent mechanics. I had lots of fun with this course.

Bombé Alaska Jail [HARD] ID: 4C5F-0000-00C3-9C1D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLWwODq-xE
Another obstacle course, but less linear this time. Lots of different elements (Cannons, Grinders, Skull Rafts, Piranha Plants, Fire Piranha Plants, Moles, Fire Bars, Blasters, Donut Platforms, Falling Platforms, Mega Hammer Bros, Ice...the list goes on). Maybe there are too many different things, it would´ve been a more memorable level had it focused on less elements and given each one more importance.

The level flows well, you´ll instinctively advanced at a much faster pace than what´s really necessary, maybe because of the anixety created by all the surrounding enemies which in fact can´t get you at most times. You have to advance in all directions at certain points, so even if main path is linear this mitigates this feeling and also allows for some small shortcuts. I liked the part with the Hammer Bro: you can choose to get the Mushroom and make the challenge easier, or get the Fire Flower and go through a harder version. It´s small things like this that make this level feel less linear than it really is. A simple and elegant setup with more implications, very intelligent design.

I didn´t like much the section with the blue Skull Raft, the beginning and the ending were nice, but all the part in the raft itself doesn´t add anything: you just have to stand still and let the raft safely take you next to the falling platform.

Conclusion: Nice short and challenging level, but the lack of focus hurts it.

Pending:
Neki said:
Traveller of the Cosmos
A257-0000-00C3-2EFF
Will upload the video and review later today.

I´m opened for more submissions, so bring them on!

And now the obligatory self-promotion:
RtDL7: Cookie Mountain Mine
CBAD-0000-00C6-7A5C
Mario´s journey has taken him to Cookie Mountain. Things have changed a lot since Mario last visited this place and now the mountain is a mine from which Bowser is getting the resources to fund his army. The uncontrolled drilling of Bowser´s minions has severly damaged the structure of the mountain and serious seismic activity is taking place more frequently in the zone...
Mario must descend deep into the mine to sabotage it, but...will he be able to get out?
I´d love to hear what you guys think of this one, I think it´s a new style on what I usually do.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mpl90's random feedback time

"Rules": I play random levels from the last page / pages and I give feedback on them, both here and on Miiverse, which means you get a star anyway (it's a difficult world we live in, too many people are stingy with stars, yadda yadda yadda :p ).

So...let's go!

This level was a freaking marathon. It has several good ideas / concept, but I think it was waaaay too long.
The checkpoint system is nice
, but it's way too long, and such length can make a, more or less, fairly difficult level a frustratingly difficult level. If it had less, but more fledged out ideas, and if it were smaller, it would have been a better level. It's not bad: again, there are good and challenging moments, but the length is excessive.

World X-4: 8E9C-0000-0094-5FFB

Nicely done. Good pace, fair platforming, and
it even trolls you with that pipe leading back to another part of the level. But I don't consider it as a negative, since it's not one of those troll pipes / doors I've seen too much times, leading to death. It's just a joke, and it doesn't bring you that far from where you were
. Yeah, quite neat.

Egg Carrier Yoshis!

9B5E-0000-00B5-34B2

This level is an ingenious puzzle-based Yoshi level, it's undeniable, and I'm probably stupid, but
I don't get what I should do, after bringing the Yoshi's Egg in the Koopa Car at the top of the structure. Seriously, I don't get it. And it pains me, since I'd love to continue the level, considering the precedent puzzles
. I'll see if I can play it again today, I need to get it, argh. Starred anyway, since it's very good.

Old School Super Mario (Plains) (1E58-0000-00BE-70AF)

Nice concentration of classic levels from classic Mario games, rearranged in such a way it plays well. Neat.

That's it for now. As always, if you want to check my levels and give feedbacks, here's my page on MarioMakerHub.com

Double

I noticed the far distance from the mic makes me sound quite annoyed most of the time, which definitely wasn't the case lol.

Thanks for playing my level. I always feel bad when people spend so much time on my level and die, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I didn't anticipate the first section being much harder than the second one though, it's weird! Also you showed me a lot of potential bugs. If anyone has any bug fixes or suggestions I'd love to hear them, because I will probably have to sadly take the level down tomorrow to fix them. :(
You're welcome! Ya I know that feeling, watching someone play your level and increasingly hoping for him not to die :D

Not sure about the first half (before the password) being easier as I died a few times in both the fire and wiggler section. The wiggler deaths may have been because my Mario skills seemed to have been resetted after the break watching football though, lol. The flamethrower-platform part definitely was quite challenging. I'd say both these sections offer a high risk of dieing, while in the ice section it's almost impossible to die but it's still quite demanding in terms of agility. The very last section definitely had a higher risk than the ice section, but I managed to get through it just fine.

Definitely your hardest level (I think I got through both your previous Rosalina stages on the first try^^) but I do enjoy me a good challenge, as long as failures feel like they are my fault and not the levels. The last part in the fire section and the middle part in the wiggler section admittetly felt at least close to crossing that line, but that's probably also because of the length of the level... which I think was fine though, thanks to the password system.

Hahaha, seems like I really am the one-man-wrecking crew for your levels lol. I don't think it tried the Steampunk Tree again after that as I was getting tired and wanted to get to your other levels too. Also didn't realize you already had a new level uploaded?! Gonna check that out later! ;)

Thanks for all the support guys :D

Glad to hear that it's back. Sucks that you were maybe potentially reported due to some disgruntled viewers :( Something about Mario Maker stream can sometimes bring out the worst of people. Very demanding and rude and just post code and demand you to play their level. Some viewers need to learn some civility for sure.
Yeah it's kind of annoying. Most people have been pretty good about using the form once they know it's there but I've definitely noticed some rude users.

I've got to think of what my next game to stream will be.

Double

Thanks for all the support guys :D

Yeah it's kind of annoying. Most people have been pretty good about using the form once they know it's there but I've definitely noticed some rude users.

I've got to think of what my next game to stream will be.
What you mean, "next game"?! You can't aboard the Mario train :D

I honestly think there will be dicks around no matter what you play once you got big enough to lure a few extra people to your stream.

JC Sera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLWwODq-xE
Another obstacle course, but less linear this time. Lots of different elements (Cannons, Grinders, Skull Rafts, Piranha Plants, Fire Piranha Plants, Moles, Fire Bars, Blasters, Donut Platforms, Falling Platforms, Mega Hammer Bros, Ice...the list goes on). Maybe there are too many different things, it would´ve been a more memorable level had it focused on less elements and given each one more importance.

The level flows well, you´ll instinctively advanced at a much faster pace than what´s really necessary, maybe because of the anixety created by all the surrounding enemies which in fact can´t get you at most times. You have to advance in all directions at certain points, so even if main path is linear this mitigates this feeling and also allows for some small shortcuts. I liked the part with the Hammer Bro: you can choose to get the Mushroom and make the challenge easier, or get the Fire Flower and go through a harder version. It´s small things like this that make this level feel less linear than it really is. A simple and elegant setup with more implications, very intelligent design.

I didn´t like much the section with the blue Skull Raft, the beginning and the ending were nice, but all the part in the raft itself doesn´t add anything: you just have to stand still and let the raft safely take you next to the falling platform.

Conclusion: Nice short and challenging level, but the lack of focus hurts it.

Yeah I went for three themes Bombé (Fire) Alaska (Ice) Jail(Straight forward)
when I should have probably stuck to two.
The fire parts where about waiting for the right timing, while the ice parts where focused on not losing your footing.

AlsoI must admit that level was pretty self-indulgent of me experimenting with different elements.
Such as making my favourite SFX when you duck
venge-smirk.gif

correojon

You really nailed it, great work.

Wow, thank you very much. It is indeed true, although the level seems quite simple, I put tons of effort into it. I'm glad it's appreciated.
And I don't think all my levels have that great of a design. So chances are, your first interpretations of some of my other levels are justified.

You might wanna check out, if not yet done, Carnivore Hollows (1CAE-0000-0062-93FD), my most successful level yet, (since being promoted by nintendo on their offical super mario maker website). It is again quiet simple, but I liked the idea.
The chain chomps always fell in their pit, the skeletons in every pit... et cetera.
I played it yesterday (I played a few of your levels in a row but didn´t record it, sorry). I liked it a lot, your style showed through all the level. After playing Glacier Cocktail I think I would have recognized this level was yours without knowing, the same degree of polish, careful design and mechanic evolution is present everywhere. I´ll add it to the list to record a playthrough.
Also, I LOVED Heaven´s Keep, really cool level and nice concept on the usage of the PSwitch. I was going with something similar with one of my levels but ended up with a big mess, while you made it surprinsingly clean. You have a really amazing skill of simplifying concepts to the core and then expanding them in cool ways, I envy you :)

Hahaha, seems like I really am the one-man-wrecking crew for your levels lol. I don't think it tried the Steampunk Tree again after that as I was getting tired and wanted to get to your other levels too. Also didn't realize you already had a new level uploaded?! Gonna check that out later! ;)
Please don´t break my new level, it´s still shiny...lol, now really thanks a lot, I hoped my copy of SMM had a button to instantly watch you play my levels, you have an awesome abbility to find the cracks in the designs.

jarosh

@correojon: I would definitely give you one of my levels to play through and give feedback on, but I think you already played through all of them and I'm not sure how fun that would be for you ;)

Amazing work as usual. Making it a construction zone with all the little touches, the "crane wires" holding the pipe up in particular, were brilliant. A lot of fun to go through it just to see what you built and played.

Thank you!

Thud

My cousin has kids who play mario, if they come over I should start making a list of levels I can give them to play
:)

I have a few friendly stages they may want to play

Marioary
73FC-0000-0028-6208

I had just unlocked pipes that day, so I experimented with that. It's a stage that teaches the player that you need to be super mario to spin jump through blocks in safe environment.

WVW69iYcjLkzwcoS93

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1150-marioary

Casterly Shroom (Hold & Tap Y)
0B81-0000-004F-CF08

Teaches some moves done with the Y button. It has some shortcuts so you don't need to repeat the whole stage again. There is also a room to practice with the cape. Now I would add a comment instead of using coins.

WVW69iZtwIsVTTmixO

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1147-casterly-shroom-hold-tap-y

Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF

Lost Levels is the tag I used to show it's an alternative fun 1-1 stage. There are enough secrets to find.

WVW69iaAKFgiDm_f7Q

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1142-mushroom-world-1-1-lost-levels

JC Sera

I have a few friendly stages they may want to play

Marioary
73FC-0000-0028-6208

I had just unlocked pipes that day, so I experimented with that. It's a stage that teaches the player that you need to be super mario to spin jump through blocks in safe environment.

WVW69iYcjLkzwcoS93

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1150-marioary

Casterly Shroom (Hold & Tap Y)
0B81-0000-004F-CF08

Teaches some moves done with the Y button. It has some shortcuts so you don't need to repeat the whole stage again. There is also a room to practice with the cape. Now I would add a comment instead of using coins.

WVW69iZtwIsVTTmixO

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1147-casterly-shroom-hold-tap-y

Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF

Lost Levels is the tag I used to show it's an alternative fun 1-1 stage. There are enough secrets to find.

WVW69iaAKFgiDm_f7Q

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1142-mushroom-world-1-1-lost-levels
Thanks a lot!
Relevant story to this:
I visited them a couple of weeks ago to drop off a b'day present for the youngest
He was playing New Super Mario bros. for the DS.
I noticed he was having a bit of trouble and wasn't running. So I told him the Y/B button will let him run and showed him getting past a giant pirahna plant with a running jump. He was amazed and told me he had never been able to get past that with a power up. But it was a bit to fiddly for him to run and jump. (Hes going to primary school next year). I asked him to open the menu and got "Whats a menu" so I opened it to see if it had a "Left trigger to B" like pokemon which would be easier for him (it didn't). I left him alone to play and chatted with his mum. Came back and he was getting his older brother to finish a level for him and he was enthusiastically telling him "Did you know you can press B to run???" it was so cute

Neki

Mpl90's random feedback time

"Rules": I play random levels from the last page / pages and I give feedback on them, both here and on Miiverse, which means you get a star anyway (it's a difficult world we live in, too many people are stingy with stars, yadda yadda yadda :p ).

So...let's go!

This level was a freaking marathon. It has several good ideas / concept, but I think it was waaaay too long.
The checkpoint system is nice
, but it's way too long, and such length can make a, more or less, fairly difficult level a frustratingly difficult level. If it had less, but more fledged out ideas, and if it were smaller, it would have been a better level. It's not bad: again, there are good and challenging moments, but the length is excessive.

World X-4: 8E9C-0000-0094-5FFB

Nicely done. Good pace, fair platforming, and
it even trolls you with that pipe leading back to another part of the level. But I don't consider it as a negative, since it's not one of those troll pipes / doors I've seen too much times, leading to death. It's just a joke, and it doesn't bring you that far from where you were
. Yeah, quite neat.

Egg Carrier Yoshis!

9B5E-0000-00B5-34B2

This level is an ingenious puzzle-based Yoshi level, it's undeniable, and I'm probably stupid, but
I don't get what I should do, after bringing the Yoshi's Egg in the Koopa Car at the top of the structure. Seriously, I don't get it. And it pains me, since I'd love to continue the level, considering the precedent puzzles
. I'll see if I can play it again today, I need to get it, argh. Starred anyway, since it's very good.

Old School Super Mario (Plains) (1E58-0000-00BE-70AF)

Nice concentration of classic levels from classic Mario games, rearranged in such a way it plays well. Neat.

That's it for now. As always, if you want to check my levels and give feedbacks, here's my page on MarioMakerHub.com

Yeah I probably could have shaved off a section in each world and it would have been more ideal length. But going into the map I wanted to utilize all the space to imitate a sprawling world, which I did go overboard, my number one criticism is I always go overboard on length. I maxed out the block and sprite limit in the main world and sub world, lol. Thanks for playing it though, one day I'll make a short map and you guys will be disappointed. ;)

Thud

Thanks a lot!
Relevant story to this:
I visited them a couple of weeks ago to drop off a b'day present for the youngest
He was playing New Super Mario bros. for the DS.
I noticed he was having a bit of trouble and wasn't running. So I told him the Y/B button will let him run and showed him getting past a giant pirahna plant with a running jump. He was amazed and told me he had never been able to get past that with a power up. But it was a bit to fiddly for him to run and jump. (Hes going to primary school next year). I asked him to open the menu and got "Whats a menu" so I opened it to see if it had a "Left trigger to B" like pokemon which would be easier for him (it didn't). I left him alone to play and chatted with his mum. Came back and he was getting his older brother to finish a level for him and he was enthusiastically telling him "Did you know you can press B to run???" it was so cute

Aww, that's really cute.

Played a lot of games with my nephew, but I never went easy on him. He hated losing more than anything. I let him win a few times so he could brag to his mom. Told him about Mario Maker a few weeks ago and he wanted to save his money to buy a Wii U. He's playing shooters and fifa on the PS4, but Nintendo still has that magic touch haha.

Double

Please don´t break my new level, it´s still shiny...lol, now really thanks a lot, I hoped my copy of SMM had a button to instantly watch you play my levels, you have an awesome abbility to find the cracks in the designs.
You're welcome and also lucky, as I didn't find my button to break it this time :D

Video of my RtDL7 playthrough

Definitely something different. The gameplay / platforming wasn't top notch, but the theme was nice. All those blocks and coins inside the terrain were a bit confusing to normal Mario standards tho, haha.

Killua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFT5g2oVLhg
I enjoyed this one. It´s a very fast paced obstacle course in which you really have more time than it seems, but the sense of urgency is nontheless well achieved: the pacing is fast, the SFX add to his urgency and you won´t know about the time being more than enough until you reach the goal. The obstacles themselves force the player to run continuosly without any other subterfuges like automatic scrolling or moving platforms (except for a little part). So the main objective, which is to communicate this urgency to the player is correctly achieved. There are also some safe platforms along the path which you´ll probably never use after a few tries, but are nice to separate some challenges and provide the player a place to get together, specially in the first tries.

You have to take a Red Shell with you from the start in a sequence that kinda reminds of stealing an item from an altar in a temple and firing up all the traps to escape in an Indiana Jones-y way. Many challenges very well communicated in advance to the player through coins and arrows; i really apreciated that. The whole level is short but intense, I don´t think it would really benefit from being longer: it´s designed as a short burst of adrenaline and achieves this perfectly.

A think I specially liked is that it uses few elemens, mainly Thwomps, however they provide a number of different challenges. This helps to keep the level consistent and also allows the player to instantly identify the challenges even when running at full speed.

Only minor complaint is the last Thwomp, which will most likely get you the first time as there´s no way to spot the platform that stops your fall with enough time to dodge it, dying there right next to the goal felt a bit trolling. Some coins next to the safe wall would be nice. However in no time I was back there with the lesson learned, the level being so intense and short helps in easily convincing the player to try again. The Blue Skull platform is also a bit glitchy as it´s easy to slide between each skull and fall to your death when you don´t know well how it works, but this is more Nintendo´s fault.

Conclusion: Nice short burst of adrenaline in a fast paced obstacle course with good guiding and consistent mechanics. I had lots of fun with this course.

Awesome! Yeah, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's cool that you brought up the Indiana Jones feel. That's exactly what I was going for. I was also trying to make it also feel like a bank heist with the alarms and security going off.

Also, the little chicken sound fx in the beginning used to say "grab the shell and run!" Like from a walky talky. I didn't realize until after I uploaded that Nintendo blocked voice recordings for online. Oh well there's a random chicken in it now lol.

woopWOOP

Slowly making my way through that GAF Excel sheet.
On that note, any way to change the level ID that's currently on the sheet? Planning on re-uploading/replacing most of my stages with the checkpoint update, including the one stage I currently listed on there.
Cloud Bully might be my new favorite stage. Even though it has one hell of a frustrating ending. I died many times but played until I cleared it. It's a fantastic idea to iterate on and subvert the piranha plant section from earlier in the level, but the way you set it up, it's entirely too arbitrary and I couldn't really make it work the way you intended, so I ended up just cheesing it by getting hit. Still, hell of a fun stage with a fittingly straightforward but very deliberate design. I actually experimented for quite some time with a similar spring cloud mechanic, but it didn't occur to me to turn the spring sideways before putting in the cloud, and my tests turned out to not be very fun to play. This is much better.
Thanks for playing/feedback both of you!

Yeah, the final piranha section is a bit too finnicky. The Koopa respawns when you move all the way to the right against the wall, but it'd probably be nicer if I placed a block to make the shell bump the other way if you accidentally kicked it into the abyss.
But I have no problem with people cheesing through that part. If you've come that far as Super Mario I consider that option to be your reward ;]

chrixter

The wait for the update is killing me. Just sitting on a finished level to be uploaded so I can add checkpoints and progressive power-ups next week.

Hey NeoGafgang,

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm about 5 stars away from having my stage limit upped, any help getting some stars would be most appreciated. Once the checkpoints are introduced I'll probably revisit some of my more challenging levels to insert the checkpoints. You can of course access my creator profile and like my other levels not listed below. Much obliged, dolls!

Choose Your Own Adventure
D55C-0000-0067-7413

Friend or Foe / Beetle Bounce
6D4F-0000-004D-D586

Crafty Castle
3DB3-0000-0024-1285

high road /low road
71D8-0000-001A-64CB

shy guy submerged
DBFB-0000-0021-810D

Don't "P" Yourself
7F8D-0000-0052-BAEC

Here Comes the Hauntstepper
136B-0000-0037-2832

KooopaKid

Banned
I´ve uploaded a new course:
RtDL7: Cookie Mountain Mine
CBAD-0000-00C6-7A5C

This is the first stage in which I´ve let the theme guide all the design of the level and the gameplay mechanics. I´ve also put a lot of effort in the decorations, for example at the start of the mine the walls are thin and hollow as they´ve already been emptied, however as you get deeper into the mine they gradually get thicker and house minerals and gold. Some enemies are used both as decoration and as gameplay challenges.

Hope you enjoy it and please send me some feedback :)

Finished it on my first try!
Several interesting obstacles, in particular the moving "car" and the Thwomps on rails with the protecting blocks.
The name of the level made me think the theme would be dessert-related but not at all, so I didn't understand why there was all this machinery at the beginning ^ ^, maybe you should rename the level and replace the word Cookie. The decoration using yellow blocks is a bit too much and makes you think there are several potential secret areas but no, they are misleading and make the level a bit too charged. The sounds at the end are a bit too much too.
Enjoyable level nonetheless. Starred it.

correojon

You're welcome and also lucky, as I didn't find my button to break it this time :D

Video of my RtDL7 playthrough

Definitely something different. The gameplay / platforming wasn't top notch, but the theme was nice. All those blocks and coins inside the terrain were a bit confusing to normal Mario standards tho, haha.
You didn´t break it but you were close when you got into the wall through the Yellow Block and with your comment on the Helmet and the Thwomps. That last one has given me the idea to include a new small section, good eye once more! The coins inside the walls were weird, but they are the center of the theme so...I´m pretty happy that you seemed to understood what everything was: the truck, the coins getting pumped out from the mine, the eruption, the engineer Mole, the burning trucks...

I´ve also watched your playthroughs of my other levels. You discovered a place to get trapped in Goomba´s Quantic Lab, I´ll have to solve it. Also, I may have to do something about the hidden 1-Up so you don´t have to repeat everything after getting it.

Thanks a lot for the videos and for all your discoveries, it´s really useful feedback ;)

Finished it on my first try!
Several interesting obstacles, in particular the moving "car" and the Thwomps on rails with the protecting blocks.
The name of the level made me think the theme would be dessert-related but not at all, so I didn't understand why there was all this machinery at the beginning ^ ^, maybe you should rename the level and replace the word Cookie. The decoration using yellow blocks is a bit too much and makes you think there are several potential secret areas but no, they are misleading and make the level a bit too charged. The sounds at the end are a bit too much too.
Enjoyable level nonetheless. Starred it.
Thanks for the comments! The name "Cookie Mountain" is a location from SMW. Almost all the Return to Dinosaur Land levels are loosely based in locations from SMW and how Bowser has transformed them:
  • RtDL1: Yoshi´s Island
  • RtDl2: Donut Plains (the lake and ground stages mixed by Bowser´s climatic machine)
  • RtDl3: Vanilla Dome (turned into a Greenhouse to grow Munchers)
  • RtDl4: Outside Vanilla Dome (This i just a vertical stage to access Sky Bridge in RtDL5)
  • RtDl5: Butter Bridge (turned into a stone bridge with towers where you face the Trolling Koopa)
  • RtDL6: ehhh...a random Fortress/Ghost House :p
  • RtDL7: Cookie Mountain (turned into a mine)
They´re also in the same order you visit them in SMW. RtDL8 will take place in the Forest of Illusion. So...the name stays :)
You seem to have the exact same complaints as Double, I´ll think I´ll remake the level leaving out the Yellow Blocks and toning down the SFX. Thanks again!

I made a video of this level if anyone wants to check it out:
https://youtu.be/oSb4vN279is

Awesome! Yeah, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's cool that you brought up the Indiana Jones feel. That's exactly what I was going for. I was also trying to make it also feel like a bank heist with the alarms and security going off.

Also, the little chicken sound fx in the beginning used to say "grab the shell and run!" Like from a walky talky. I didn't realize until after I uploaded that Nintendo blocked voice recordings for online. Oh well there's a random chicken in it now lol.
Yeah the chicken felt random, but the altar thing was cool once I reached the end without the shell once and instantly understood what was going on. Great job!

New video:
Neki said:
Traveller of the Cosmos (A257-0000-00C3-2EFF)
https://youtu.be/B3mre7LrFJg
This level is amazing, but it has some weak points. You have to unlock 4 barriers by going into different subworlds, each one with it´s own theme and mechanics: fire, ice, plants and metal. First of all, the theming is awesome: it really feels like each subworld has it´s own theme. The diversity of mechanics is very well done, as each is separated and confined to it´s own world and correctly presented and developed there. The subworlds are presented in 2 pairs: you first have to beat the fire and ice worlds to unlock the path to the metal and vegetal worlds. The level is really long and it seems impossible to complete in one go. To solve this, RagnarokX´s password system is used so once you beat the first 2 worlds you´ll be able to continue from there. It´s also really nice that each world is based on a diferent mechanical theme:

The Fire World is based on timing and so, enemies on tracks and periodic enemies are used.
The Ice World is based on preservation of speed, so it uses ice blocks and fast paced sections with PSwitchs.
The Metal World is based on autoscroll and intercepts, so it uses Grinders and Bullet Bills. It ends with a boss fight which is nice, but not as cool as that of the Vegetal World.
The Vegetal World is based on vertical movement, so it uses Wigglers to bounce on and vines. It also features a very nice boss fight against Reznor.

Overall the level is awesome, all challenges are fair and well designed and difficulty is very balanced all around, except for the Ice World. This world has an introductory part that is nice and continues the difficulty trend of the rest of the worlds, but the latest part spikes in difficulty and ends up being frustrating. This part consists of some moving ice blocks which you have to traverse before a PSwitch expires. There are some problems with this:
  1. First of all it´s done in the higher part of the level, so even if the challenge is hard on itself (1 square width sliding moving platforms) jumping makes Rosalina leave the screen so you can´t see her and must calculate the jumps blindly.
  2. Secondly, the PSwitches add another layer of diffficulty by timing the challenge in a really strict way: just failing the first jump of he sequence means that you won´t be able to make it in time.
  3. Thirdly, The PSwitch dispensing system uses conveyor belts, so once you hit a PSwitch the conveyor belt stops and you won´t be able to get another PSwitch until the effect of the previous one ends. So if you fail a jump, you must wait to try again, wasting the much needed time and not being able to do anything.
  4. Last, the last jump of the last sequence is the trickiest of the challenge, so this can frustrate the player a lot. it would be much better to have the most difficult jump somewhere in the middle of the challenge, that way the player will have more chances to practice it and if he fails it won´t be as frustrating as having victory at the tip of your fingers and seeing it slip through.

Once you get past this it´s soon forgotten as the other wonders of the level take over the frustration: by the time you reach the goal and that last cathartic sequence you will be sorry that the level is ending.

Conclusion: AWESOME level with some very localized flaws, but it´s really worth it to give it your all and get over them. This is one of the best SMM levels I´ve played, top 5 no doubt. Besides, I suck at SMM so you´ll probably get over that difficult section with less effort than me.

BTW I have another video of this level from yesterday of 30 minutes, but I won´t upload it as it´s basicly me failing at the last Ice World challenge :S

I´ve already recorded and am uploading a video on Dimentio´s Carnivore Hollows (1CAE-0000-0062-93FD) and then I´ll be recording in a single session some levels that are having great reviews from the last pages and some random levels from Gaf users who´ve made levels I´ve enjoyed. Suggestions are welcome!

fabprems

Super Mario Rugby (0BEE-0000-00C2-CC0F)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gVWUrMh5NM
I didn´t manage to beat this one (I should make a series and name it "Watch correojon fail at SMM"), but I enjoyed it. Really nice presentation and theming and cool gameplay ties with the Rugby theme. I was thinking of making a soccer game using Goombas as the ball but I wasn´t able to come up with a cool way to use this in challenges, however you came up with some neat things. The level gives you little time, which is nice for setting a fast rythm, but hurts it a bit in some challenges where you have to think of a solution or do some "complex" actions. Also, loosing the "ball" means that you´ll have to restart. It´s a short level, so it facilitates that the player just gives it "one more try".
I was stuck at what seemed the final goal before the public but couldn´t come up with a solution
By any chance, is there a hidden block over the 2 yellow blocks that gives a star? It just occurred to me and I can´t remember if I tried that

Conclusion: Cool level and awesome theming, but the time limit somewhat crashes against the nature of some of the challenges.

Wow, that the first time I see someone play my level and that was awesome (and kind of moving I must confess ! ).

During the first minute, I watched you play the stage and I shouted so many time "OH NOOOO, I'M SO SORRY MAN !!!" at my computer that my girlfriend kind busted out laughing. But really man, I'm so sorry. You did so many (awesome) things that I did not expect and and I realize that some things I designed really weren't even logical for the player. I never expect that you would keep the goomba in the second part of the level (cause there's no use of it) but how could you know, right?

I learned a lot about my way of designing a stage by watching you, thank you so much for that !!

I'm gonna re upload a modified version of the level with a little more help for the player. Or maybe with comments, I don't know...
Anyway, you were so close to finishing the level but the goomba thing completely putted you on the wrong track ...
the answer is indeed in the second yellow block ;)

Thanks for playing my level !

EDIT : Here's the update version :
supermariorugby2.jpg

Neki

New video:

https://youtu.be/B3mre7LrFJg
This level is amazing, but it has some weak points. You have to unlock 4 barriers by going into different subworlds, each one with it´s own theme and mechanics: fire, ice, plants and metal. First of all, the theming is awesome: it really feels like each subworld has it´s own theme. The diversity of mechanics is very well done, as each is separated and confined to it´s own world and correctly presented and developed there. The subworlds are presented in 2 pairs: you first have to beat the fire and ice worlds to unlock the path to the metal and vegetal worlds. The level is really long and it seems impossible to complete in one go. To solve this, RagnarokX´s password system is used so once you beat the first 2 worlds you´ll be able to continue from there. It´s also really nice that each world is based on a diferent mechanical theme:

The Fire World is based on timing and so, enemies on tracks and periodic enemies are used.
The Ice World is based on preservation of speed, so it uses ice blocks and fast paced sections with PSwitchs.
The Metal World is based on autoscroll and intercepts, so it uses Grinders and Bullet Bills. It ends with a boss fight which is nice, but not as cool as that of the Vegetal World.
The Vegetal World is based on vertical movement, so it uses Wigglers to bounce on and vines. It also features a very nice boss fight against Reznor.

Overall the level is awesome, all challenges are fair and well designed and difficulty is very balanced all around, except for the Ice World. This world has an introductory part that is nice and continues the difficulty trend of the rest of the worlds, but the latest part spikes in difficulty and ends up being frustrating. This part consists of some moving ice blocks which you have to traverse before a PSwitch expires. There are some problems with this:
  1. First of all it´s done in the higher part of the level, so even if the challenge is hard on itself (1 square width sliding moving platforms) jumping makes Rosalina leave the screen so you can´t see her and must calculate the jumps blindly.
  2. Secondly, the PSwitches add another layer of diffficulty by timing the challenge in a really strict way: just failing the first jump of he sequence means that you won´t be able to make it in time.
  3. Thirdly, The PSwitch dispensing system uses conveyor belts, so once you hit a PSwitch the conveyor belt stops and you won´t be able to get another PSwitch until the effect of the previous one ends. So if you fail a jump, you must wait to try again, wasting the much needed time and not being able to do anything.
  4. Last, the last jump of the last sequence is the trickiest of the challenge, so this can frustrate the player a lot. it would be much better to have the most difficult jump somewhere in the middle of the challenge, that way the player will have more chances to practice it and if he fails it won´t be as frustrating as having victory at the tip of your fingers and seeing it slip through.

Once you get past this it´s soon forgotten as the other wonders of the level take over the frustration: by the time you reach the goal and that last cathartic sequence you will be sorry that the level is ending.

Conclusion: AWESOME level with some very localized flaws, but it´s really worth it to give it your all and get over them. This is one of the best SMM levels I´ve played, top 5 no doubt. Besides, I suck at SMM so you´ll probably get over that difficult section with less effort than me.

BTW I have another video of this level from yesterday of 30 minutes, but I won´t upload it as it´s basicly me failing at the last Ice World challenge :S

I´ve already recorded and am uploading a video on Dimentio´s Carnivore Hollows (1CAE-0000-0062-93FD) and then I´ll be recording in a single session some levels that are having great reviews from the last pages and some random levels from Gaf users who´ve made levels I´ve enjoyed. Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for the great feedback and criticism, I know the ice world would be the most controversial section because of the strictness of it. It's hard to solve the the height issues because I'm out of real estate and I didn't want players bypassing the section by running under and jumping to the end. The p block dispenser was a design oversight, I underestimated how many times people would need it. I'd probably change it to just be the bullet bill if I could. And I know the last jump is gonna kill a lot of runs, but before adding the top layer, you could full run jump from the 3rd last platform and easily make it. Thank you for playing it though, and I'm glad you liked it. The map definitely still has problems I can fix, but I don't really want to take it down and lose comments lol, I wish Nintendo made a better system for bug fixes.

Schlomo

I made a puzzle level today:

One-Way Heroics
(1B45-0000-00C8-3082)

WVW69ihaFngjFSrCNA

It's pretty short but I'm unsure how hard it is, so please let me know if certain parts are too confusing.

Neki said:
Traveller of the Cosmos (A257-0000-00C3-2EFF)

After the high praise this got I had to try it, and it really is an awesome level! Only issue is length and difficulty. I found the ice section easiest actually, didn't have any problem with the timed runs. Two places that I found very frustrating are the final fire barrier during the (otherwise incredible) burner ride in the fire world and the big chain chomp in the clown car (way too unpredictable).

Double

Hey NeoGafgang,

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm about 5 stars away from having my stage limit upped, any help getting some stars would be most appreciated. Once the checkpoints are introduced I'll probably revisit some of my more challenging levels to insert the checkpoints. You can of course access my creator profile and like my other levels not listed below. Much obliged, dolls!
I just played through all of your levels and recorded them
with my terribad setup
. Not much commentary at first as I had to get into the mood ;)
May have given you some stars in the process. Happy Birthday! :)

Thanks a lot for the videos and for all your discoveries, it´s really useful feedback ;)
You're welcome, happy to help make your levels even better :)
Also, your feedback on all these levels seems to really be spot on as well and very well written! Totally agree with your review of Nekis new great stage for example! And yeah, what KooopaKid wrote basically mirrored by impression of your level 1:1^^ except that I didn't really think about the name, haha.
Already looking forward to when my level is gonna be ready to get reviewed by you :D

Thank you for playing it though, and I'm glad you liked it. The map definitely still has problems I can fix, but I don't really want to take it down and lose comments lol, I wish Nintendo made a better system for bug fixes.
It's still a pretty young level, so you wouldn't lose too much, would you?! Also, imagine all the even more even greater comments you will get once you've updated it to become an even better level...! ;)
You have to think for the long run, dude! Also, keep making levels like this! :)

Neki

I just played through all of your levels and recorded them
with my terribad setup
. Not much commentary at first as I had to get into the mood ;)
May have given you some stars in the process. Happy Birthday! :)

You're welcome, happy to help make your levels even better :)
Also, your feedback on all these levels seems to really be spot on as well and very well written! Totally agree with your review of Nekis new great stage for example! And yeah, what KooopaKid wrote basically mirrored by impression of your level 1:1^^ except that I didn't really think about the name, haha.
Already looking forward to when my level is gonna be ready to get reviewed by you :D

It's still a pretty young level, so you wouldn't lose too much, would you?! Also, imagine all the even more even greater comments you will get once you've updated it to become an even better level...! ;)
You have to think for the long run, dude! Also, keep making levels like this! :)

I guess you guys you will just have to comment again on it when I fix it. I might be able to lower the ice stage a few blocks to get more room at the top, and I can definitely change up the p switch dispensers. I can also add a more leeway to the wiggler section. My only problem that I don't really have a solution for is the boss at the end of the plant world can spawn incorrectly sometimes and it looks really bad, but that's because of how Mario Maker handles enemies off the main screen. But that is more of an aesthetics issue rather than a gameplay issue. Did you want anything look at Double before I make a revision? I want to make one or two revisions at most before I leave it alone.

Also these 30 min long youtube videos, all spent on that darn ice level, lol.

I haven't been feeling any of the last three stages I've made, something just doesn't quite seem right with them.
I'll probably just wait until the checkpoint update before uploading anything else, I've got 2 simple SMB overworld stages but they just feel waaaay too short as they are but I don't feel like stretching them into sublevels.

When the update hits I think I'll finally make some tweaks to most of my existing stages alongside the adding of checkpoints.

Top Bottom