• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

So I'm jumping on the Shmup bandwagon. Here's my take. https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B3D1-0000-0127-3BE7

Let me know what you think! I'm going to go through this page and play what I see.

Finally got around to playing this tonight, super fun stage. Reminds me of the fast "escape the base" stages from the Gradius games which I'm guessing is what you were going for. Nice use of the charge shot, power up management and needing to strategically get through the barriers. I was able to kill Bowser too. :)

btw is commenting disabled on your Miiverse profile or something? I'd either get an error when I'd try to post my message and when I backed out the comment button wouldn't even respond. Oh well, in any case I was able to Star your stage.

Here are my two Day 2 courses. Just like the first, they're both pretty short. Next one will have multiple days of effort and content, I promise!

Rising Dragon

358A-0000-013F-DFCA.jpg

Sky Pirate Escape
C5B8-0000-0140-D254_full.jpg

KScorp

Just got the game today. I haven't played any of the 2D Mario games... so this is a fairly large learning experience for me. I did watch a lot of experts play this game though, so I think I'm ahead of the curve in terms of knowing what is possible in the game, but still terrible in execution.

Played around with making a level, and created something I'm (currently) proud of. Bookmark site isn't showing it right now, guess it takes some time to update. I'll post about it later I suppose.

Please play my level, gaf. I'm sick of the 10-course limit, and not too proud to beg:

Bookmark

This is what happens when I give up on baby-proofing courses and just make something destined to murder 90% of players (it's still not that hard). It's inspired by my love of 3D Land's obstacle course style bowser levels.

First autoscroller I've played, and it ended up being pretty good. You're right, not particularly difficult, but I still died several times.
It didn't help that I forgot that NSMB had ground pounds...

J-Fr

Well done, I ended up doing a speed run! (30 seconds)

Fun stage. The last obstacle felt a little out of place as you are rushing for the entire course. You end up on a falling platform with no other choice but to jump in the flames if you haven't timed your previous jump.

Reposting because the original post was an incomprehensible mess.

Plant Dominion-2
3FC8-0000-0134-CC76

I liked the part with the plants/vines.

A someone else said I was also stuck with the spin jump section, I first assumed you had to jump on the pipes while avoiding the piranhas. Maybe put a lethal obstacle between pipes and the piranhas plants apex? (Sawblades?)

Sorry. I haven't played in a while and forgot all about the newfangled bookmarks:

Bookmark:

Thanks to everyone who played.

I liked the frantic pace and I feel like the rodeo jump is breaking the pace.

Pretty straight forward, I imagine you'll hit that 30-40% clear rate pretty easily. No much else to add, life in the middle of the chasm was nice.

Thanks! Unfortunately the clear rate droped below 20..
A Japanese player even took the time to destroy the world record and didn't left a star.. If you love the level enough to make a speed run of it why not leave a star too?

Next level in my new series, it's a direct follow-up of MTW 1-1.

Mega Thwomp World 1-2
562C-0000-0134-2D1A_full.jpg

Preview, it's a traditional course with a lot of Thwomps and a lot of spinning! It's shouldn't be hard, I aim for 25-15% clear rate.

Dario ff

Banned
Saw RagnarokX starring my random gimmick level and I checked this topic to see if it was indeed the same person I knew from GAF. :p So hi! Got this game 2 weeks ago.

Profile.

I mostly like trying weird mechanics instead of making real levels for now. (Just never play this one)

Hey everyone. So after about a month of not making any new levels I finally got into grind mode. Just wanna share my profile first. You can find all my levels there. If you are looking for some traditional Mario levels in the normal to expert difficulty range I should have some stuff in there you might enjoy.

My Mario Maker Profile

With that outta the way I have a new level. Level number 13 for me. I present Volcano Peak. I wanted to try a theme we mostly haven't seen much of (I've only seen 1 other one) and I think I did a decent job in presenting the idea. This is a medium difficulty level with a large focus on fire and flame enemies and obstacles. There are a few tricky parts but I mostly think it's manageable. Looking for as much feedback a possible as I try to shake the rust off. Let me know what you think :) It hasn't appeared on the Mario Maker Website yet but I'll add the bookmark when it does.

ID: 8490-0000-0147-E9D7

Ranger X

Here's a new update for my level.

- New checkpoint placement (resulting in a less frustrating level)
- Added some arrows so the player gets the way to go quickly
- Hammer brother doesn't fall on our heads anymore
- New power-up! (might save a fall!)

NOW THAT'S A SKULL RIDE (v.3)
BD1E-0000-0144-3540

BD1E-0000-0144-3540_full.jpg

Bookmark this!

WVW69ir5oaYx6e_ZOr

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright slightly trickier one from me, although still nothing compared to what some of you guys make. Check it out, let me know what you think!

Mario's Test Kitchen (97B7-0000-0148-AAEC)

WVW69itU7yE9ppizbE

KScorp

Here's a new update for my level.

- New checkpoint placement (resulting in a less frustrating level)
- Added some arrows so the player gets the way to go quickly
- Hammer brother doesn't fall on our heads anymore
- New power-up! (might save a fall!)

NOW THAT'S A SKULL RIDE (v.3)
BD1E-0000-0144-3540

Bookmark this!
I just kept throwing bodies at this level until I got to the checkpoint, then threw bodies at the last part. Pretty sure I sequence broke something to get to the checkpoint, not sure if that's intended or not. This isn't my kind of level.

Anyway, here is the second course I've ever made:
Escape from Piranha Plant Peak!

D15A-0000-0145-07FE_full.jpg

It's designed to be a short, themed stage. It has some puzzle elements, requires careful maneuvering around the enemies in the level, and certain parts need precision. I wouldn't consider this stage to be easy, but not too difficult either. (I can pass this stage about 30% of the time, and I'm new to the game.)

It needs some improvements before I'm truly happy (I want to remove softlocks), but I'd still like to hear feedback on the course.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bookmarks really is a game changer. Been playing lots of your levels now since it's so easy to just queue a bunch up. Though I realise I should also be giving some feedback so I plan to put together some comments on what I've been playing.

Put together a new level finally. I've played around with this gimmick before but I've never really been happy with the progress and have just scrapped previous attempts, but finally it all clicked. Amusingly part of it was switching theme. Originally it was a SMW grass level but switching it to NSMB castle seemed to suit it better. As a bonus this marks my first proper castle as well so now I finally can be the final level of someone's 100 Mario run.

Cling 'n' Climb Castle
2387-0000-0146-1F56_full.jpg

Grab a vine and travel along the rails avoiding the obstacles. (Think SMW's cheese bridge) There are the usual three 1-ups.

I see this as about a midway game level. So not too difficult but not a complete walk through the park. Of course by the end of it I could easily beat it without a single hit, but that's because I knew the perfect route. Hopefully I managed to keep a nice balance despite that since it's so easy to think something is too easy after you've playing is a zillion times.

-----------------------------------

Since I've not posted my profile yet, here's some of my previous levels:

Skiddy Ridge
9FB5-0000-010C-00C5_full.jpg

A quick auto scrolling level requiring skilled platforming. There's a neat little bonus area if I do say so myself (fans of Super Mario All-Stars should enjoy it). This was toned down from a more difficult incarnation. The timer is cut back to just the time required to beat the level to hopefully give an indication to how close to the end you are.

Go My Way!!
DCB5-0000-0055-83D8_full.jpg

My first go at a music level, based on the catchy tune from The iDOLM@STER series. Unlike the majority, this isn't an auto complete level (you can probably see that in the preview) You're going to have to pay attention if you want to make it to the end. Oh and hold down right when you start the level, there's a pipe you need to enter pretty much straightaway since I've seen a few Xs there. I might have taken the idea of being the complete opposite in playability compared to other music stages a bit far ha ha ha.

Storm the Stronghold V2
F6C7-0000-0043-DA6C_full.jpg

A tribute to the penultimate level of the original SMW. I think I'm going to reupload this again with a checkpoint, but I'll link to it for now. The original version V1 is still in my profile, but that has no mushrooms whatsoever so is extremely hard and the sublevel was a little unfocused.

The Spiny Subterranean
1F8A-0000-0031-288D_full.jpg

My first proper level. It was made pretty much with no planning with early parts but I think it came out pretty good despite that.

imBask

Banned
I just got the game on christmas and had some time to play around, i'm really sad about 100 mario challenges... 90% of expert levels I get are just trolly garbage or a series of "pick a random door and cross your fingers!"

and the normal mode 100 mario challenge is too easy, and filled with 9 year olds level with no challenge whatsoever

meh. I'll check out some codes in here instead

Anyone know how long it takes a level to appear on the Mario Maker Website?
My level was poste 4 hours ago but it still hasn't shown up. Should I be worried. . . haha

Anyone know how long it takes a level to appear on the Mario Maker Website?
My level was poste 4 hours ago but it still hasn't shown up. Should I be worried. . . haha

They updated right away when it launched, but then it got slow around Christmas. I was waiting on an update for about 8 hours last night, I think. I hope they fix it, because the website isn't nearly as useful when you have to wait so long for it. It's probably just heavy traffic.

I just got the game on christmas and had some time to play around, i'm really sad about 100 mario challenges... 90% of expert levels I get are just trolly garbage or a series of "pick a random door and cross your fingers!"

and the normal mode 100 mario challenge is too easy, and filled with 9 year olds level with no challenge whatsoever

meh. I'll check out some codes in here instead

You should go to courses, bookmarks and then bookmark all on the recommended stages. They are all normally solid quality. The search feature on the website brings up lots of good levels too. You just gotta use those. 100 man mario is a mixed bag. Gaf has many wonderful courses as well.

They updated right away when it launched, but then it got slow around Christmas. I was waiting on an update for about 8 hours last night, I think. I hope they fix it, because the website isn't nearly as useful when you have to wait so long for it. It's probably just heavy traffic.

Good to know. With how convenient bookmark links are without the site updating I fear no one will wanna bother with my levels haha. As long as it updates I'm good with that though.

---

As a side note, I have this older level I posted. Wasn't really as well recieved star like as I was expecting and apparently its harder than I thought too. It's pretty traditional so if anyone is interested

Muncher Plains

MST3K "Nooooo Springs!"

MidweekMatinee-SpringFever-03-Coily.jpg

Course ID: 77DC-0000-0149-428D

(Uploaded it earlier today but still not showing up on the bookmark site yet)

Inspired by the creepy, bizarre and classic MST3K short "A Case of Spring Fever." As soon you see a spring in this stage, push it and you shall discover the power of perpetual motion jumping only possible through the physics of THE SPRING! Coily the Spring Sprite says you're 99% likely not to be stopped but only if you really, truly appreciate springs! Or will you be the 1% to face Coily's Wrath? Noooooo springs!!! Also includes a secret 1-Up area and an extra path to the Goal.

"Low completion rate people?! You'll be the first to die!!! Ehehehehe"

Coily_7705.gif

jholmes

Attack on Molehill Bunker

With this I tried to make something a bit more classic while still having a surprise or two. I'm not sure I like how the level actually ended up but it's pretty speedrun friendly.

I don't have a whole lot to say other than that I liked this! Good classic feel, really nice stage. I should check out more of your stuff.

This was really good! Didn't love the bit right before the goalpost, but I had a good bit of fun here!

MST3K "Nooooo Springs!"

Will bookmark when it becomes available, but only to kill time before the inevitable Mitchell-themed stage.

People in 100 man mario expert are so snarky. Like they put a whole bunch of shit in thir levels with an impossible bowser trap. You genuinely think I'm stupid enough to believe you didn't hide a vine somewhere near the beginning to skip all of this? Like its dumb but its an easy win in 100 man so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How can I view the amiibos that I unlocked, and the Event Courses characters as well?

Go to Create Mode, click on Super Mario tileset, then click on the Mystery Mushroom and place it in the level. Click on the Mystery Mushroom again, and you can see all your choices/unlocks.

I just started making my first non-tribute based Shmup stage with the Fire Car and am having a rediculous amount of fun, so many ideas already starting to come together.

imBask

Banned
You should go to courses, bookmarks and then bookmark all on the recommended stages. They are all normally solid quality. The search feature on the website brings up lots of good levels too. You just gotta use those. 100 man mario is a mixed bag. Gaf has many wonderful courses as well.

the bookmark stuff does look good so far! thanks

I had a big long post about my thoughts on shortcomings in my previous levels, and for my next one: some changes from the first upload, story ideas, and things I had to reluctantly cut and why they failed mechanically, but then I refreshed the page and it got wiped out and I'm not retyping it all.

So here's the Necromancer's Mountain Temple: 5D4E-0000-014B-BD92

I'll update this later with the bookmark and screens, and maybe retype what I had before, like the stuff about my failed mini boss idea.

Inkwell

Banned
I don't have a whole lot to say other than that I liked this! Good classic feel, really nice stage. I should check out more of your stuff.

Thanks! I would like to make more of these traditional levels, but I feel like they don't get as much attention. I have some issues with this level, but I think my worst offense was enemy placement. It's a little sloppy and something I need to work on.

Next level in my new series, it's a direct follow-up of MTW 1-1.

Mega Thwomp World 1-2
562C-0000-0134-2D1A_full.jpg

Preview, it's a traditional course with a lot of Thwomps and a lot of spinning! It's shouldn't be hard, I aim for 25-15% clear rate.

I've played both levels. Both are good, but I feel 1-2 is much better. The difficulty seems very balanced and I like the consistency to which you stick to your theme. It makes everything feel very cohesive.

Here are my two Day 2 courses. Just like the first, they're both pretty short. Next one will have multiple days of effort and content, I promise!

Rising Dragon

358A-0000-013F-DFCA.jpg

Sky Pirate Escape
C5B8-0000-0140-D254_full.jpg

Dragon Rising definitely felt short, but it felt like an official castle level. It was fun, but I wish it lasted a little longer.

Sky Pirate Escape was a little more difficult. I actually got trapped the first time I tried it. You can get stuck on top of the level where you break those blocks on the return trip.

MST3K "Nooooo Springs!"

(Uploaded it earlier today but still not showing up on the bookmark site yet)

Inspired by the creepy, bizarre and classic MST3K short "A Case of Spring Fever." As soon you see a spring in this stage, push it and you shall discover the power of perpetual motion jumping only possible through the physics of THE SPRING! Coily the Spring Sprite says you're 99% likely not to be stopped but only if you really, truly appreciate springs! Or will you be the 1% to face Coily's Wrath? Noooooo springs!!! Also includes a secret 1-Up area and an extra path to the Goal.

"Low completion rate people?! You'll be the first to die!!! Ehehehehe"

Coily_7705.gif
My wife made a level with that exact theme and name a few days after launch. Who would have thought somebody else would have done that?
Edit: Here's the bookmark.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People in 100 man mario expert are so snarky. Like they put a whole bunch of shit in thir levels with an impossible bowser trap. You genuinely think I'm stupid enough to believe you didn't hide a vine somewhere near the beginning to skip all of this? Like its dumb but its an easy win in 100 man so I suppose I shouldn't complain.
Came across a level day before yesterday during a normal run that ended with three giant Bowsers stacked. By luck I came across a hidden Pow block to clear it. Apparently I was the first clear. I expect that level to end up in expert soon because it was so cheap.

theluma

Played through a few bookmarks!

Firstly, the whole of Super Mario Planets so far, by Koopakid! Really excellent series of levels. Especially playing them all in a row the difficulty curve was very impressive, although I can tell shit's gonna get hard. Especially once you hit world 2 there are some really great levels, You manage to take some very unique and quite obscure setups and build a whole platforming-filled level around them. Only level I wasn't wild about was the cape one (1-8 maybe?). Although it was very clever I just felt some of the cape puzzles were overly frustrating to execute - mainly because of the mechanics of the cape itself.

This was actually very good - probably the best underwater stage I have played (not saying too much). Something about the positioning of the enemies was very well thought out and the level flowed great.

Also played SnowySky Lift by Spartacris and am looking forward to checking out more of his stuff. Very visually impressive! Need to step my game on that front.

Is the Mario Maker website not updating for anyone else? I've uploaded two levels now that aren't showing up and I'm like 5 stars behind what it shows on the actual game. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the site or if my profile got glitched somehow.

pringles

Hey guys, would appreciate if some of you could try out this level my sister made:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BDA7-0000-013F-0F41

BDA7-0000-013F-0F41.jpg

BDA7-0000-013F-0F41_full.jpg

She's visiting over the holiday and playing a lot of Mario Maker, really wants some more people to try her level so she can get input on how to build on it. It's fairly short and not too difficult (imo).

Rest of the levels on my profile are mine. Feel free to try 'em out and give input. So far I think my latest level, Thwomp Run, is the most fun.

218D-0000-0149-AAD4_full.jpg

The first two levels I made I was going for something more 'advanced' but I probably need to make some changes since they seem to have low clear rates so far (1/9 and 4/25). Maybe trying to incorporate too many different elements in one level. Going to try and create more "focused" levels I think.

Btw I was wondering if there's any way to place powerups (shrooms/feathers/etc) in the levels without hiding them in a ?-block and having them just staying in place. I haven't found a way yet.

Is the Mario Maker website not updating for anyone else? I've uploaded two levels now that aren't showing up and I'm like 5 stars behind what it shows on the actual game. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the site or if my profile got glitched somehow.
It seems pretty slow on updating. Takes a long time for it to show the new levels I've uploaded or remove the ones I've deleted.

Same for me, a level I uploaded early yesterday still wasn't showing up on the bookmark site as of last night.

My wife made a level with that exact theme and name a few days after launch. Who would have thought somebody else would have done that?

And here I thought I was the only one to rep MST3K on the server. I'd like to see it, what's the course ID?

I was just coming in to ask the same. Haven't had my first level update yet on the site.

Inkwell

Banned
Igloo on the Mount

EboBAwc.jpg

KBzs0As.jpg

This level is pretty difficult, but there are no tricks / puzzles. It is made entirely of ice, making a lot of the jumps tricky. Took me a while to upload it!

This was a good level. A few jumps were close calls. I think the level can stand on its own as is, but I do have one thing to critique. I think it could be improved aesthetically. I understand you want everything to be ice, but I think using blocks or ground blocks as a base for some of the ice to sit on would add a little more visual variety, as well as using semi-solid platforms for some slight change in background once in a while.

Hey guys, would appreciate if some of you could try out this level my sister made:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BDA7-0000-013F-0F41

BDA7-0000-013F-0F41.jpg

BDA7-0000-013F-0F41_full.jpg

She's visiting over the holiday and playing a lot of Mario Maker, really wants some more people to try her level so she can get input on how to build on it. It's fairly short and not too difficult (imo).

Rest of the levels on my profile are mine. Feel free to try 'em out and give input. So far I think my latest level, Thwomp Run, is the most fun.

218D-0000-0149-AAD4_full.jpg

The first two levels I made I was going for something more 'advanced' but I probably need to make some changes since they seem to have low clear rates so far (1/9 and 4/25). Maybe trying to incorporate too many different elements in one level. Going to try and create more "focused" levels I think.

Btw I was wondering if there's any way to place powerups (shrooms/feathers/etc) in the levels without hiding them in a ?-block and having them just staying in place. I haven't found a way yet.

It seems pretty slow on updating. Takes a long time for it to show the new levels I've uploaded or remove the ones I've deleted.

Your sister's level is pretty decent. It's definitely basic, but there's a lot of platforming without being overly difficult. It's hard to give any advice since the level is a little bare-bones. This isn't necessarily bad since it shows restraint, and it's not the mess that a lot of other people's levels are when they try to use everything. Visually it could be improved a little bit, and maybe adding a little more variety with enemies and obstacles (but not too much).

Simbabbad

The expert/normal classification is pretty weird. My Sonic level has a win/visit ratio of 59% and a win/attempt ratio of 15%, my Tourian (Metroid) level has a win/visit ratio of 30% and a win/attempt ratio around 11%, and yet the Sonic level is classified as "expert" and the Tourian level as "normal".

What the Hell? Nothing indicates the former is harder than the latter, and myself I find the Sonic level much, much easier than the Tourian one. The Sonic level has twice the win/visit ratio as Tourian!?

The site is just backed up. It'll appear eventually. Took mine well over 7 hours to pop up yesterday.

Yeah, I just had the level I posted 13 hours ago show up even though I almost immediately deleted it because of a spot you could get stuck that my brother pointed out. Then I uploaded a fixed version last night that I deleted this morning after I changed a big portion of the level just now.

If anyone wants to try the stage before I get the bookmark it's 2535-0000-014E-955A

Top Bottom