• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Nert

This game is fantastic. I'm really glad I decided to take the plunge; hopefully I'll continue to enjoy myself as my deaths increase exponentially :D

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I feel like the right trigger, the left stick, and the A button are all going to be worn out on my launch Elite system controller by the end of the week because of this game.

It is already starting to sound squeaky.

My god, this game is fantastic. I spent 20 minutes trying my hardest to beat the first killscreen. It was weird to go back to Enslaved after an hour of this. Enslaved seems so peaceful in comparison :lol

Oli

This game is amazing. It plays fine with the analog stick. If you have a 360, download this!

Frostburn

Played 2 levels of the game before buying. I love it, definitely brings out the "gotta get the fastest time and all the collectibles" in me but I like going through the levels themselves and the controls are spot on. It will be nice to revisit with other playable characters and get all the bandages and such.

Flib

I had been looking forward to this because of the positive previews, but wasn't that excited. Decided to play a quick game before getting back to New Vegas.

That was 4 hours ago. What have I done??

Stuneseht

I was reading the the super meat boy thread over at xbox360achievements.org;and a solution that a poster suggested to get past the save bug was to watch a saved replay. The poster said that watching a saved replay triggers the autosave.
Also i noticed that if you save a replay of the level you completed, it also triggers the autosave.

Hige

Got back up to 6-5 again. Only died 23 times and even made the par time! :D Taking a break does wonders for beating some of these levels.

Hige

InfectedZero said:
6-4
is fucking me harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd. I have atleast 150 deaths and my fingers are hurting.
What part are you having trouble with? If it's the beginning saws,
run to the right as soon as the level starts to bypass the 1st saw, pause briefly at the next spot then jump over the 2nd saw as it comes down and the 3rd saw isn't even an obstacle if you're still running.
There's a few safe spots at the part with 2 saws at once too.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Gotta love that a game as hard as this randomly decides NOT to save any of your progress.
Huh?

Anyway I picked this up today as well if anyone cares to look up my pathetic times.

What sold it for me was the variety, number of levels and the fact that I was humming along with the first chapter's tune the first 20 seconds of playing the demo. That's important to me.

Great game. Love it.

Hige said:
What part are you having trouble with? If it's the beginning saws,
run to the right as soon as the level starts to bypass the 1st saw, pause briefly at the next spot then jump over the 2nd saw as it comes down and the 3rd saw isn't even an obstacle if you're still running.
There's a few safe spots at the part with 2 saws at once too.
I was finally able to beat it after about another 15 minutes lmfao :lol . But shiiiiiiiiii, the next one is even more rage inducing,
Dr Fetus Boss: the fact that you have to wait for the blade walls to move is fucking testing my patience cause I just want to blaze through the level to the part where I haven't passed. Dr. Fetus you asshole.
and can I just share, that the amount of challenge that is present is so satisfying. Started on Darkworld Forest to take a break from the previously mentioned death.

feel

After playing just a bit of the demo, had to buy it (specially considering the discount price for early adopters, other devs, take note). Fantastic little game, I love watching the replays, with the hundreds of failing pieces of meat on screen while a single one makes it through all the way. :lol

Salsa

Just wanted to say that its official now: Mr.Minecraft will be a playable character in Super Meat Boy (PC version)

:D

also,

Danny Baranowsky, the composer for Super Meat Boy, is holding a contest. Remix one or two songs from the game's score, and you could land a spot on the official soundtrack.

Really tempted to give this a try..

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SalsaShark said:
Just wanted to say that its official now: Mr.Minecraft will be a playable character in Super Meat Boy (PC version)

Goddamn this is the first game ever I am double dipping on.

PasteyMF

Something about a perfectly controlled and executed platformer that comes in bite sized levels and being able to restart in .0001 nanoseconds makes it so gooooooooood.

Buy this game already.
And if you love it, BUY N+.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see co-op levels like N+. Doing those levels are some of my most favorite moments in video gaming ever. I would love to see Commander Video and Gish doing a level together.

Bought the game on a whim. Holy shit.

I pretty much entirely forgot about my love of this "masochist platformer" subgenre. It's been years since my Jumper 1 and 2 days, and though I hated the unfair deaths of I Wanna Be The Guy, I at least enjoyed the concept.

This, though. This is pure platforming bliss set at breakneck speed. This is literally no reason not to own this game if you enjoy platformers. Even if you think you suck, these levels are based ENTIRELY on that part of your brain that retains short term muscle memory. They live to be brute forced, and when you get them you feel like a god.

PasteyMF said:
Something about a perfectly controlled and executed platformer that comes in bite sized levels and being able to restart in .0001 nanoseconds makes it so gooooooooood.

Buy this game already.
And if you love it, BUY N+.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see co-op levels like N+. Doing those levels are some of my most favorite moments in video gaming ever. I would love to see Commander Video and Gish doing a level together.
This game has already gotten me preferring two things I thought I'd never get used to in a 2D game.

1) Use the analogue stick to move.

2) Pressing right trigger to run instead of "X".

For some reason this just feels right in this game.

Letters said:
After playing just a bit of the demo, had to buy it (specially considering the discount price for early adopters, other devs, take note). Fantastic little game, I love watching the replays, with the hundreds of failing pieces of meat on screen while a single one makes it through all the way. :lol
It's like the little sperm that could or something. I like to think of myself as that sperm. :3

DJ_Tet

Banned
This has probably already been said...but I'll reiterate:

If you are in any way a platform fan you need this game. I say that as someone who dominated SMB 2 Japan SNES All-Stars version (got A-B-C-D and Level 9 opened and completed) and got 100% on every Yoshi's Island stage.

This game is balls out platforming greatness, I can tell after just the first 'world.' I can only imagine what lies in store for me.

Two things really take it to platforming bliss and make it something all new:

1st. Levels start out really small but just expand, but the music doesn't start over every level or every time you die. Instead it just keeps going, building and growing. And when you die there's no useless screen or anything, nope it just throws you right back in there like an FPS or something.

2nd, and most important. It makes you appreciate your 'stupid' deaths. In platformers back to the original Super Mario Bros, we've laughed at our friends as they gear up to make this awesome jump only to just run off the cliff harmlessly. It's hilarious, and when it happens to the gamer it's infuriating!

Well Super Meat Boy as we all know records all your deaths and then plays them back on top of each other. I did not anticipate how great that would be. Not only graphically while you are playing the world, seeing all your mistakes in blood all in front of you. But the replay, you can have a good laugh at the time you jumped right into the saw right off the bat. Or you can cringe at how you f'ed up right at the end, as two Meat Boys fight for the princess, with only one to make it!

The sense of humor is right up my alley too.

Fantastic game, could end up being my favorite XBLA game to date (although admittedly that isn't saying a lot.) If it does though, it would be a surprise to me personally as Bionic Commando was one of my top 5 NES games growing up. To put Super Meat Boy in that class already is as high an honor I can give it.

Can't wait to see what's next (when my hands stop cramping!)

SpacLock

I want to play this game sooooooooo bad, but I recently canceled my CC after I paid it off. Now I have to wait until after work tomorrow before going to the store and buying a damn point card.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
caJoT.png

alright I got it

good luck with your situation, spaclock
sounds like you don't have much time to play it right now anyways

DJ_Tet

Banned
Also, just because developers read this forum I'll add this here:

I normally do not buy any DLC or XBLA games unless they are discounted, or I have a deal on point cards, or hopefully both. It helped that MS is running a 2400 get 800 pt sale, but the real kicker was having the game on sale at launch.

I was considering getting Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers but seeing what they went for in the Summer Sale I am going to hold off on another sale for those. I would have likely waited for Super Meat Boy, although it is WELL deserving of a 1200 price tag imo.

Giving early adopters good value is a great way to earn customers imo.

SpacLock

Snuggler said:
caJoT.png

alright I got it

good luck with your situation, spaclock
sounds like you don't have much time to play it right now anyways

Thanks. Yeah, I won't have time because I'll be too busy crying myself to sleep tonight knowing that possibly the greatest game ever is just out of my reach.

The demo is still fun though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SpacLock said:
Thanks. Yeah, I won't have time because I'll be too busy crying myself to sleep tonight knowing that possibly the greatest game ever is just out of my reach.

The demo is still fun though.

I'll try not to have fun, in regards to your feelings.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SpacLock said:
I want to play this game sooooooooo bad, but I recently canceled my CC after I paid it off. Now I have to wait until after work tomorrow before going to the store and buying a damn point card.
Aw, why would you do that? Credit cards are so handy.

I think I'm gonna go find my joystick and dl SMB, right after I beat Give Up, Robot. The last level should make for a nice warmup.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
DJ_Tet said:
Also, just because developers read this forum I'll add this here:

I normally do not buy any DLC or XBLA games unless they are discounted, or I have a deal on point cards, or hopefully both. It helped that MS is running a 2400 get 800 pt sale, but the real kicker was having the game on sale at launch.

I was considering getting Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers but seeing what they went for in the Summer Sale I am going to hold off on another sale for those. I would have likely waited for Super Meat Boy, although it is WELL deserving of a 1200 price tag imo.

Giving early adopters good value is a great way to earn customers imo.
Ummm I do not think that the SMB sale counts towards your 2400 pts for the month. Sorry buddy!

Top Bottom