• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Jucksalbe said:
Fix your spoiler tag.

You're missing the one in stage 5.

DUDE are you fooling me?! I just looked at that stage for around 5 minutes and completed it a bunch of times. can't find it! this is dark world.

(above spoiler in regards to the bandages in the first world. must..... get..... 20)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm already at 1-15. I'm making this game my bitch, this shit ain't tough for a true gangster like me.

I'm now using the unlocked gamer pic as my gamer pic. It's pretty cool.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
I'm already at 1-15. I'm making this game my bitch, this shit ain't tough for a true gangster like me.

HA!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Snuggler said:

Prepare to be MURDERED!!!

DJ_Tet

Banned
xxracerxx said:
Ummm I do not think that the SMB sale counts towards your 2400 pts for the month. Sorry buddy!

CheapAssGamer said:
@Xboxsupport has said MANY times ANY AND ALL DLC and XBLA games.

I'm gonna go with them.

The confusion is that people will have to spend more since the price dropped, it's some twitter conversation that isn't really worth anyone's time.

Point is, all other XBLA games that go on sale are part of this promotion, Super Meat Boy is as well.

edit:

Here's a quote

@Xboxsupport said:
@Zeiu_HD The Deal of the Week and that particular sale for that XBLA game actually will count toward the promotion. ^JD

Don't know how to link tweets but here's Zeiu's

@Zeiu_HD said:
@XboxSupport The free msp deal says it can't be combined with sales, does that mean Super Meat Boy wouldn't count towards this? It's 400 off

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fuck

just beat the first boss, pretty sure there was something wrong with my controllers because

fuck

that was INSANE. What the hell.

I feel like I need to play some Kirby Epic Yarn now. I need a smoke.

mavs

Chapter 5 creeping me out. Think I'm done for one day, chapter 3 almost broke me and I don't want to go into this fucked up shit tired.

What a game, though. I think the music makes it. Of course everything else is great too, and I'm really surprised how many animations Meat Boy has.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Snuggler said:
fuck

just beat the first boss, pretty sure there was something wrong with my controllers because

fuck

that was INSANE. What the hell.

I feel like I need to play some Kirby Epic Yarn now. I need a smoke.
Haha I feel you man. I need to take constant breaks but as soon as the girlfriend starts watching tv for more than ten minutes I start to get the meat shivers and I need to get into the game again just for a few minutes more. Oh why oh why can't i just get on for a few minutes?!? Fuck Teen Mom, I need some Meat!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
xxracerxx said:
Haha I feel you man. I need to take constant breaks but as soon as the girlfriend starts watching tv for more than ten minutes I start to get the meat shivers and I need to get into the game again just for a few minutes more. Oh why oh why can't i just get on for a few minutes?!? Fuck Teen Mom, I need some Meat!

Oh god I know exactly how you feel. I really do.

This game is pretty awesome, definitely the kind of platformer that 360 needs. I know that the first level boss is easy shit but it was tough for me. I love that it requires perfect memorization for success, it feels SO good when you beat it.

It kinda makes me wish there was an Xbox portable so I could put this game on it and play it on the go, it would be perfect.

DJ_Tet said:
This has probably already been said...but I'll reiterate:

If you are in any way a platform fan you need this game. I say that as someone who dominated SMB 2 Japan SNES All-Stars version (got A-B-C-D and Level 9 opened and completed) and got 100% on every Yoshi's Island stage.

This game is balls out platforming greatness, I can tell after just the first 'world.' I can only imagine what lies in store for me.

Two things really take it to platforming bliss and make it something all new:

1st. Levels start out really small but just expand, but the music doesn't start over every level or every time you die. Instead it just keeps going, building and growing. And when you die there's no useless screen or anything, nope it just throws you right back in there like an FPS or something.

2nd, and most important. It makes you appreciate your 'stupid' deaths. In platformers back to the original Super Mario Bros, we've laughed at our friends as they gear up to make this awesome jump only to just run off the cliff harmlessly. It's hilarious, and when it happens to the gamer it's infuriating!

Well Super Meat Boy as we all know records all your deaths and then plays them back on top of each other. I did not anticipate how great that would be. Not only graphically while you are playing the world, seeing all your mistakes in blood all in front of you. But the replay, you can have a good laugh at the time you jumped right into the saw right off the bat. Or you can cringe at how you f'ed up right at the end, as two Meat Boys fight for the princess, with only one to make it!

The sense of humor is right up my alley too.

Fantastic game, could end up being my favorite XBLA game to date (although admittedly that isn't saying a lot.) If it does though, it would be a surprise to me personally as Bionic Commando was one of my top 5 NES games growing up. To put Super Meat Boy in that class already is as high an honor I can give it.

Can't wait to see what's next (when my hands stop cramping!)

Great post, and I agree completely. The replay at the end is a great ( and hilarious ) touch. This game really is polished to the tee, and makes you forget everything else around you.

We'll see how well this game goes this morning - I'm still a bit fuzzy from waking up about half an hour ago, and my reflexes aren't up to par yet. :D

Danielsan

Just unlocked Tim. Decided to skip dark world 3 and finish the light world levels first. So far Hell isn't as bad as I thought it would be. :lol

Salsa

Snuggler said:
give me your babies so I can flush them down the toilet and save the world

Saving the world from getting great game recommendations ?

im just gonna give you the bale smug right now

smug.jpg

PasteyMF

Just beat all of the light world levels except for
the last half of Cotton Alley
. My hand hurts like hell. Sign of a good game I think.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
God damn those levels for The Kid took me SO long, especially the 2nd. I was terrified I would be hit with the save bug which has happened to me a few times now but it seems I was lucky. Still loving the game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anyone beat that gamecrash level?

because that's the only one so far in world one (98% complete) that makes me think I may not be a man.

Hixx

Danielsan said:
Just unlocked Tim. Decided to skip dark world 3 and finish the light world levels first. So far Hell isn't as bad as I thought it would be. :lol

Hell has some spectacularly easy levels but also some of the hardest I've done in the 4 worlds so far.

Aaaaaand I have the save bug. Nice. Fucks sake.

Jucksalbe

Banned
catfish said:
DUDE are you fooling me?! I just looked at that stage for around 5 minutes and completed it a bunch of times. can't find it! this is dark world.

(above spoiler in regards to the bandages in the first world. must..... get..... 20)

When you get past the first saws, where you would continue left, go up. Right under the left saw is the bandage.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Jucksalbe said:
When you get past the first saws, where you would continue left, go up. Right under the left saw is the bandage.

blaaargh. that's actually the way I went for the time trial, it's a hard jump but possible. I'm due to get my glasses next tuesday, bandages on white backgrounds, I just can't see them I think. Or maybe they are just hidden that way.

Hige

I don't understand why N+ is being mentioned so much. I'm finding SMB to be more enjoyable than N+ was for me, despite the fact that they're the same genre.

Danielsan said:
I think the dark world levels are meant to be played after beating all the light world levels. I've beaten every main stage in the light world, except for a few warps/"glitch" levels, and even chapter 2 and 3 on dark world were quite challenging.

catfish said:
anyone beat that gamecrash level?

because that's the only one so far in world one (98% complete) that makes me think I may not be a man.
For that level, the hardest part for me was the middle section. My strategy was to
only use the top two walls and ignore the lower ones
. I still found this level hard even after beating the game, so if you're trying for 100% completion before moving on from the world you may want to reconsider. It's easier to come back to it after you learn more techniques and timing from the later levels.

Kweh

Any strategies for 3-17?

I can get to the key up top and back down again fine, but the turrets pretty much destroy my route back up again.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Kweh said:
Any strategies for 3-17?

I can get to the key up top and back down again fine, but the turrets pretty much destroy my route back up again.

Don't let the game fool you!

Always use only one wall to get up.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hige said:
For that level, the hardest part for me was the middle section. My strategy was to
only use the top two walls and ignore the lower ones
. I still found this level hard even after beating the game, so if you're trying for 100% completion before moving on from the world you may want to reconsider. It's easier to come back to it after you learn more techniques and timing from the later levels.

yeah I have been trying to do what you said there. the trouble I have is sticking to walls that are so short, sometimes meat boy just slides right off the bottom too quickly. I'm ACE at the first section due to the failures here. I just hate the restart/reload/game over mechanic of these otherwise excellent worlds.

I'm to around 5-2 at the moment and the game isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Granted, I'm only playing on the light world at the moment (although I did beat all of world 1-1 in dark) but so far, I haven't had that much of a problem with the standard levels (some bandages are hard to get but they are achievable).

I like how static and non-random the worlds are, whenever I start a level, I pretty much know exactly what to do and then it's just a matter of executing it. There's no bullshit. If you die it's your own fault. I think this is where the N+ comparisons come from.

The only thing that I don't like is the limit of three lives on each warp zone level. Seeing as you can select them from the world map, the only thing that the limit does is adding unnecessary loading.

Hige

Yeah, the warp zone/glitch levels are starting to annoy me. It's probably my biggest gripe with the game so far. It feels disjointed to have only 3 lives and be kicked back to the world map constantly with frequent load times. I don't see why they couldn't limit you to 3 lives and just restart you from the first screen (in the case of warp zones) instead of that.

Also wish I could disable that announcer that yells WARP ZONE all the time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hige said:
Yeah, the warp zone/glitch levels are starting to annoy me. It's probably my biggest gripe with the game so far. It feels disjointed to have only 3 lives and be kicked back to the world map constantly with frequent load times. I don't see why they couldn't limit you to 3 lives and just restart you from the first screen (in the case of warp zones) instead of that.

Also wish I could disable that announcer that yells WARP ZONE all the time.

this would be perfect. I can see why they wanted the warp zone levels to be harder, but the unnecessary loading is just annoying. Considering how good the rest of the game is with dying, the difference is jarring.

Danielsan

Hige said:
I think the dark world levels are meant to be played after beating all the light world levels. I've beaten every main stage in the light world, except for a few warps/"glitch" levels, and even chapter 2 and 3 on dark world were quite challenging.
I think you are right. Some of the dark world stages of world 2 blow all the light world stages of world 3 and 4 out of the water. :lol

catfish said:
this would be perfect. I can see why they wanted the warp zone levels to be harder, but the unnecessary loading is just annoying. Considering how good the rest of the game is with dying, the difference is jarring.
Agreed, hopefully they'll patch this in along with a save bug fix.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm on the first stage of the second warp zone in world 5 "
The Guy!
". In the upper right part, how do you get to the right wall? The spikes on the ceiling are always killing me, no matter how low I get.
This game is too hard for me, I guess. :lol

catfish said:
Yeah, the whole retro thing about having 3 lives and then it's Game Over was kind of funny the first time; not so funny after the 125th time.

EDIT: Only one bandage left in the first world... Some of those are really hard to spot.

robot

AndyMoogle said:
Yeah, the whole retro thing about having 3 lives and then it's Game Over was kind of funny the first time; not so funny after the 125th time.

EDIT: Only one bandage left in the first world... Some of those are really hard to spot.

I kept finishing a level in World One with the bandage (1-7 maybe?) and when I return to the map screen, it isn't showing I got it. Is there something else I need to do when getting a bandage (besides beating the level)?

robot said:
I kept finishing a level in World One with the bandage (1-7 maybe?) and when I return to the map screen, it isn't showing I got it. Is there something else I need to do when getting a bandage (besides beating the level)?
That's the save bug. You need to go back to the main menu (or do you have to leave the game?) and then back in again and it should work. You'll lose progress though, but there is no way around that.

EDIT: You can trigger the auto save by watching or saving a replay.

robot

AndyMoogle said:
That's the save bug. You need to go back to the main menu (or do you have to leave the game?) and then back in again and it should work. You'll lose progress though, but there is no way around that.

EDIT: You can trigger the auto save by watching or saving a replay.

That explains why all of my progress in World 2 was gone when I played this morning. Thanks.

Love this game, bought it immediately after finishing the trial.

What's the deal with people on the leaderboards with times of 0.000? Are these people cheating, or is it a bug/glitch?

Danielsan

Man I love the flow of some of the levels when you get all your timings just right, 5-6. <3
But also fuck this game up the ass. I just unlocked the kid's warp zone. Yeah there's no way I'll ever get passed that first stage.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
roommate and i A+ the first light world, workin on A+ the first dark world

fucking A this game is amazing

Rad-

Dead Man Typing said:
Love this game, bought it immediately after finishing the trial.

What's the deal with people on the leaderboards with times of 0.000? Are these people cheating, or is it a bug/glitch?

Glitch. If you change characters after dying, the timer freezes.

Top Bottom