• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Draft

This game is fully 3D, right? Seems to be at least when they do the end of level close ups.

If so, this is maybe the best 2D impersonating 3D I've ever seen. I don't know if it's the art of some filter they're using, but the IQ reminds me of something like Kid Chameleon.

eznark

Banned
How does saving in this game work? I beat the first stage up to the boss yesterday, loaded it up today and it only has me beating the first 4 levels. I didn't see a save option anywhere?

Danielsan

Draft said:
This game is fully 3D, right? Seems to be at least when they do the end of level close ups.

If so, this is maybe the best 2D impersonating 3D I've ever seen. I don't know if it's the art of some filter they're using, but the IQ reminds me of something like Kid Chameleon.
Wait what? It's 3D? I never would have guessed.

eznark said:
How does saving in this game work? I beat the first stage up to the boss yesterday, loaded it up today and it only has me beating the first 4 levels. I didn't see a save option anywhere?
It auto-saves. Well... it should. There is a save bug. You can spot if by checking the map for recently collected bandages. If they show up the game is saving. If they don't, reboot the game cause it's fucked.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Draft said:

I think (assume may be more accurate) that it's that Flash-style vector based 2D.

Fucksake. Appears I had the save bug too. Lost all of the levels on "The Internets" and "The Hospital" dark side. Really, really annoyed right now.

Danielsan

Psychotext said:
Fucksake. Appears I had the save bug too. Lost all of the levels on "The Internets" and "The Hospital" dark side. Really, really annoyed right now.
Ouch, the dark world level in the Hospital are no slouch. Really sucks that you lost all that progress. I've now taken the habit to exit out to the map every time I get a bandage.

Danielsan said:
Ouch, the dark world level in the Hospital are no slouch. Really sucks that you lost all that progress. I've now taken the habit to exit out to the map every time I get a bandage.
Does that make a difference? They all showed as completed on the map yesterday, but today they're all gone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well I loved the demo but I think I'm going to wait for the patch to buy the game. Leaderboard bugs in a score attack game + save bugs in an incredibly challenging game are not a good combination.

Rad-

Just had the save bug myself, fortunately only for few dark levels. I think I'm going to stop playing until they fix it. Gonna be hard though as the game is amazing.

eznark

Banned
wow, how often does this bug happen?? I just got like 6 bandages and commander video but none of the bandages showed up on the map. I love the game but if I reboot this and lost that stuff I'm done til they patch it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Stumpokapow said:
Well I loved the demo but I think I'm going to wait for the patch to buy the game. Leaderboard bugs in a score attack game + save bugs in an incredibly challenging game are not a good combination.
N+ had a very similar save "bug" (in quotes because they noted it was intentional) and it was never addressed.

The gist of it for N+ is that there is a time frame for a game to write to the GamerTag (the data is saved there, not locally) and because N+ levels could be beaten very quickly, they could not save after every level was completed, so it was purposely set to only save when you exited to the menu. Of course, that's off memory for a couple of years old game so I might have a fact slightly off or so.

Axiom

The first Kid level is the first brick wall I've ran into during the game. I went back to do some dark worlds for a break!

Hige

Someone mentioned earlier that saving or watching a replay triggers autosave. I haven't lost any more progress since I started doing that. I just watch a replay from the main menu when I want to be sure the game gets saved.

Danielsan

Axiom said:
The first Kid level is the first brick wall I've ran into during the game. I went back to do some dark worlds for a break!
Seriously. It's just retarded. It doesn't help that I absolutely suck at these narrow pits with spikes on either side that you have to fall through.

Psychotext said:
Does that make a difference? They all showed as completed on the map yesterday, but today they're all gone.
Make a habit of watching, or saving, a replay before quitting the game. That should trigger the autosave.

Hige said:
Someone mentioned earlier that saving or watching a replay triggers autosave. I haven't lost any more progress since I started doing that. I just watch a replay from the main menu when I want to be sure the game gets saved.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nabs said:
they say it happens when you collect the same bandage twice. they have a fix on the way.
good to hear! If only they would roll up a fix in there for not having to reload the glitch/warp worlds every time you want to replay them as well.. even just a 'you failed, retry?' y/n type prompt.

Davey Cakes

Princess Skittles said:
I Wanna Be the Guy and its ilk are horrible, awful games.

It saddens me to hear that there are levels like that in this game.
IWBTG isn't the most refined game ever, and its use of the "unfair difficulty" gimmick me be off-putting to some. But, I remember enjoying it heavily, and getting addicted to it, even though I was pretty much continually dying and being pushed to the brink of insanity due to continual frustrations.

The game is quite an experience, I'll say. It deserves its cult following. It also deserves to go down in the book of video game legends.

I'm glad The Kid, among many other characters, is getting represented in Super Meat Boy.

I bet a lot of people will get the 100% achievement without actually doing everything. I have 128% on the first world because of the save glitch, so I would assume that I will get 100% overall sooner than I should.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Rash said:
IWBTG isn't the most refined game ever, and its use of the "unfair difficulty" gimmick me be off-putting to some. But, I remember enjoying it heavily, and getting addicted to it, even though I was pretty much continually dying and being pushed to the brink of insanity due to continual frustrations.

The game is quite an experience, I'll say. It deserves its cult following. It also deserves to go down in the book of video game legends.

I'm glad The Kid, among many other characters, is getting represented in Super Meat Boy.
I Wanna Be the Guy is basically an internet meme.

It has no redeeming qualities as a video game.

luffeN

Some hours ago I was number 11 on the world 1-5. Is this a world wide leaderboard or just Europe and US and so on?

Futureman said:
How do I play this on my Mac? Steam?

Sorry I don't know shit about this whole "gaming" thing.
if there is going to be a mac version then yeah, probably through steam. PC version comes out sometime in November.

Hige

DancingJesus said:
Anyone figure out the secret achievements?
From what I remember:
The Kid - Beat the 3 warp zone levels for the IWTBTG character (world 5 I think).
Suffragette - Beat the bonus chapter (unlocks after world 6).

Glix

Ranked 27 in Whitewash, I think its called when I went to bed last night. But the top ten all had times of 0. :(

Stuneseht

DTLIONS1013 said:
Im trying to hold off on buying this until the save bug is fixed, but its so hard to resist

There are ways around the save bug. Go ahead and treat yourself to a a very good game.

The warp zone where you unlock
The Kid
are super tough. I've made it through levels 1 and 2 which were hard enough but you need super fast reaction times for 3.

Matll

Damn this is a great game. I just A+ graded all the light world levels. My statistics.

I also took a bad quality video of me A+ grading the last level of the game. Obvious spoilers in the video if you don't want to see the last level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhaWbMI25iY

Secret achievement:
You get the achievement when you complete the last chapter. Suffragette (You've beaten the Cotten Alley all by yourself!)

jergrah

Well - just bought this. Didnt think I would enjoy it, but played the demo last night and was blown away by it. Didnt pull the trigger last night since I had already bought Costume Quest, but after reading the thread - navigated over to xbox.com and went ahead and snagged it.

Cant wait to play it this evening and die 1,000 times :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Princess Skittles said:
I think (assume may be more accurate) that it's that Flash-style vector based 2D.
IDK about the 360/PC versions, but the Wii version was/is developing in flash.

Is anyone else playing this like me?

Light World, Dark World, Light World... etc. Seems everyone I've spoken to is going through all the light world stuff first.

I played through the demo last night. It's very cute, and it controls well, but a couple of the levels in the demo greatly frustrated me with their difficulty and that's just something I can't deal with that much any more. I guess I suck now, and as I've gotten older I find the stress from work is enough stress for me.

I can see the game is high quality so I wish these guys the best, though.

Hixx

Psychotext said:
Is anyone else playing this like me?

Light World, Dark World, Light World... etc. Seems everyone I've spoken to is going through all the light world stuff first.

I was blitzing through the light world but I've gone back and 100% the Forest and working my way through doing the same for the Hospital now. Not as hard as I'd expected, there's only been one bandage that took me about 100 deaths to get. In the end I had to change to Gish to get it, there's no way Meat Boy would be able to do it. No way.

Axiom

I need a break, just beat light world
and that damn cotton rocket turret chasing you obstacle course is the only time I've had no fun with the mechanics
. The Kid levels are all about precision perfection - I appreciate and get behind that, this sort of thing just made me put the controller down because I didn't enjoy the type of challenge it was offering.

I'll probably ace it tomorrow with a break, but that was a bummer way to end the evening.

Wait, what do you mean it's 4:30am? FUCK

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Love the game so far. Part of the reason is that the levels are short. They avoid the cheap difficulty inflation effect of being too long and making you repeat big chunks of gameplay.

I am annoyed by the warp/secret levels, though. They abandon the instant-retry of the conventional levels and are much more frustrating as a result.

Oli

WyndhamPrice said:
The cutscene when you beat chapter 2 made me laugh harder than I ever had at a video game before, this game is amazing.

That part was hilarious. :lol

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I love love LOVE this game, the only thing I hate is the damn 3 lives in warp zones, reloading takes so fucking long.

FUUUCK the 3 lives thing. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom