• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

jigglywiggly said:
It was after the screen had faded to black that I realised
that white square meatboy pulled out was a pillow
. So fucking dark. :lol

Ha, I was scrolling through this page from the original post about this just to ask if I interpreted that correctly too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fuuuck, I switched characters on a level to get a bandage and see I have a leaderboard score at 25 with 0.0. I hope they fix that, it's really easy to reproduce.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Son of a bitch, the progress I had on the first world's dark levels are all gone when I just got home and turned it on - fuck.

Granted that they were easy and I was only halfway, I set some great times where I was the best out of my friends for most of them that I tried to improve my times on.

This is exactly the kind of bug that you do NOT want to have for a game like this.

Other than that, fucking awesome game - I just love that when you try to get some ridiculous ribbon in a warp zone and finally concede to it, to come back later and just blow through the entire warp zone, getting all ribbons in one go without dying. The short-burst, quick-loading concept of the levels in this game are genius - it's hard to get mad when you don't have to do that much to pass the level.

Atomski said:
Have yet to have a save bug. But you guys are making me seriously paranoid about progressing further :/.
You'll see the autosave icon pop up in the lower left corner after each level; when it works that is. If you suspect that it doesn't pop, save a replay after the next level and the autosave should kick in again.

AndyMoogle said:
You'll see the autosave icon pop up in the lower left corner after each level; when it works that is. If you suspect that it doesn't pop, save a replay after the next level and the autosave should kick in again.
That's good to know. I lost a bit of progress from yesterday but it's not a big deal. The levels are so much fun that I don't mind doing them again. Are there any problems with the leaderboards besides 0 second times?

soothe.

JESUS FREAKING CHRIST the warp zone where you get
the kid
was insanely HARD!

Must have taken me at least two hours and easily a thousand death just on the first level alone. No way am I ever using that character ever again but goddamn was it satisfying to finally get to that last bandage girl. My hands are still shaking and my heart is pounding.
If there is any level anywhere near that level of difficulty still left in this game then I think that's pretty much it for me. Or atleast until I take a loooong, long break from playing. That warp zone just completely drained me.

Man, what a game.

Zomba13

Just finished the salt factory. I'm reeeeeeally liking the game. It's also great for short play sessions because the levels are so short.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Fuuuck, I switched characters on a level to get a bandage and see I have a leaderboard score at 25 with 0.0. I hope they fix that, it's really easy to reproduce.

they could simply delete all 0.0 scores from the leaderboards and that would correct the issue.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zomba13 said:
Just finished the salt factory. I'm reeeeeeally liking the game. It's also great for short play sessions because the levels are so short.

This is what I really like about this game so far. It helps a lot with the tougher stages, since you respawn instantly and don't have to worry about losing more than 30 seconds or so of progress when you die. It's perfect for both quick sessions or long, addicted sessions like Trials HD.

fuckin work sucks, I wanna play this now :(

Atomski

Zomba13 said:

Aw its salt? I kept imaging it was a bleach factory. Shit would burn so bad on your meat flesh :lol .

Love this game so much. Almost done with world 4.

see5harp

Zomba13 said:

This is the perfect way to play. Except when you are trying to get a little Fallout time in. 4 hours later I was up way too late and in danger of having to call in sick the next day. I like that you don't even need checkpoints, unlike Trials where a mistake could completely kill your momentum. This game, even with it's similarities to Trials, really hasn't hit my "frustration bone" at all.

Hixx

2-5x warp zone is infuriating. In the first level the blocks dissipate so inconsistently. Sometimes not at all, sometimes instantly... second level is annoying because sometimes touching the emitters kills you, othertimes it doesn't. Third I've got to once and lost concentration when I got to the top thinking 'where the hell do I go?'

First level that has REALLY tested my patience rather than me knowing its my fault. Went out to collect a bandage in a dark world level, got it, save bug :lol Turned it off when I saw it didn't save that I had it, fuck that for now!

Atomski said:
Aw its salt? I kept imaging it was a bleach factory. Shit would burn so bad on your meat flesh :lol .

Love this game so much. Almost done with world 4.

Yeah, why is salt deadly to Meat Boy? It's a preservative! :)

Oh my god.
The Cotton Alley has had me rolling on the floor. The irony :lol I was all expecting it to be kinda easy, boy was I wrong. Holy fuck.
About to attempt The Kid again. But I don't know if I want to :( lmfao

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jigglywiggly said:
It was after the screen had faded to black that I realised
that white square meatboy pulled out was a pillow
. So fucking dark. :lol
OH GOD. just did that.

had that fucking save bug as well. what's the deal?!Do I got that thing 3 times, saved a game, quit to menu watched replay then quit to main screen NO BANDAGE. Do I have to quit to dashboard after I get it?! god that's annoying, what exactly is the procedure?

1. get a bandage
2. die
3. get same bandage

now you have the bug? What should be the steps after that if i';m right?

Danielsan

Ok fuck this shit. Just lost 6 level of progress in the dark world salt factory thanks to that shitty bug, and no, that replay nonsense does not work.

This might be my GotY. I love games who are not overly long and filled with filler crap. Still the replayability is insanely high. This is how all games should be done! Instead of filling the games with boring tedious shit, just reward us with unlockables for getting better on the game. The art is awesome too.

One of the reasons I could never get into N+ was the boring art.

Danielsan

The bugs are a pity and hopefully they will get resolved soon. Slight blemish on an otherwise glorious game.

Here are my current stats for world 1:

uDXVv.jpg

And yes these are my saved stats. :lol

Sniper McBlaze said:
This might be my GotY. I love games who are not overly long and filled with filler crap. Still the replayability is insanely high. This is how all games should be done! Instead of filling the games with boring tedious shit, just reward us with unlockables for getting better on the game. The art is awesome too.

One of the reasons I could never get into N+ was the boring art.
Exactly the reason why I never bought into N+. Felt like they didn't even bother with the presentation. Which meant that I didn't bother with buying their game.

jarosh

kinda baffled at the unanimous praise this game is getting. it's a neat time waster, but it feels mostly like a throwaway experience. i wouldn't call the level design "genius". it's conservative and utilitarian at best and predictable and boring at worst. sure, it can be punishingly hard, but outside of the difficulty the levels are extremely straightforward, the obstacles obviously placed, the frustration factor a tad too calculated. there's nothing particularly clever about the level design, it speaks volumes that the dark world levels often simply consist of "same layout, more of the same obstacles and traps". the levels never throw you for a loop. it's all just "variations on a theme" and none of the themes feel particularly fresh or inventive. besides that i find the characters and the style to be devoid of charm, the humor crude, the world design sterile and the music gratingly harmless.

Hixx

jarosh said:
kinda baffled at the unanimous praise this game is getting. it's a neat time waster, but it feels mostly like a throwaway experience. i wouldn't call the level design "genius". it's conservative and utilitarian at best and predictable and boring at worst. sure, it can be punishingly hard, but outside of the difficulty the levels are extremely straightforward, the obstacles obviously placed, the frustration factor a tad too calculated. there's nothing particularly clever about the level design, it speaks volumes that the dark world levels often simply consist of "same layout, more of the same obstacles and traps". the levels never throw you for a loop. it's all just "variations on a theme" and none of the themes feel particularly fresh or inventive. besides that i find the characters and the style to be devoid of charm, the humor crude, the world design sterile and the music gratingly harmless.

The developers can't account for poor taste fella, sorry.

;)

Lonely1 said:
Wow, that bug sounds bad. i hope it isn't present when other versions show up.
I can't see it appearing in the PC version, but the Wii version might have it depending on how long before the release they have to send it in to Nintendo. I have no idea how fast games can be patched on Wii either, but on 360 it will most likely take 3 weeks for a patch to be released.

jarosh said:

Go back to Mega Man.

Kidding.. you're entitled to be wrong.

Danielsan

jarosh said:
How far have you gotten? If you are basing these conclusions on the first world then you should press on. If not, well there's no accounting for taste. I find this game to be the greatest platformer since the original super mario bros and super mario world. The levels are extremely tightly designed and are clearly made for speed running. If you time and execute every move right you can basically finish a level without ever stopping. Furthermore there are plenty of later stages that deliver downright clever problems that will make you smile and gloat when you manage to pull them off.

Jucksalbe

Banned
jarosh said:
kinda baffled at the unanimous praise this game is getting. it's a neat time waster, but it feels mostly like a throwaway experience. i wouldn't call the level design "genius". it's conservative and utilitarian at best and predictable and boring at worst. sure, it can be punishingly hard, but outside of the difficulty the levels are extremely straightforward, the obstacles obviously placed, the frustration factor a tad too calculated. there's nothing particularly clever about the level design, it speaks volumes that the dark world levels often simply consist of "same layout, more of the same obstacles and traps". the levels never throws you for a loop. it's all just "variations on a theme" and none of the themes feel particularly fresh or inventive. besides that i find the characters and the style to be devoid of charm, the humor crude, the world design sterile and the music gratingly harmless.

Somewhere between these two posts lies the truth.

Danielsan said:
How far have you gotten? If you are basing these conclusions on the first world then you should press on. If not, well there's no accounting for taste. I find this game to be the greatest platformer since the original super mario bros and super mario world. The levels are extremely tightly designed and are clearly made for speed running. If you time and execute every move right you can basically finish a level without ever stopping. Furthermore there are plenty of later stages that deliver downright clever problems that will make you smile and gloat when you manage to pull them off.

Also, my thumb hurts, I should stop playing

I'm amazed about that comment on the level design. Maybe it's because I'm playing for A+ times, but I've realised that almost every level has a perfect route you have to use with nigh on perfect timing to get the absolute best times. A second too late to a specific point and an enemy will be in the way, pause to reposition and you'll be waiting for the saw blade to pass, don't nail the jump at the start of the level and the platform will be in the wrong place when you get to the end. It's sublime.

Danielsan

Psychotext said:
I'm amazed about that comment on the level design. Maybe it's because I'm playing for A+ times, but I've realised that almost every level has a perfect route you have to use with nigh on perfect timing to get the absolute best times. A second too late to a specific point and an enemy will be in the way, pause to reposition and you'll be waiting for the saw blade to pass, don't nail the jump at the start of the level and the platform will be in the wrong place when you get to the end. It's sublime.
Exactly. And when you get the timings right, that feeling is just amazing. Such an incredible flow to the game. The last game I had this much fun with was Bit.Trip.Runner.

Danielsan said:
Ok fuck this shit. Just lost 6 level of progress in the dark world salt factory thanks to that shitty bug, and no, that replay nonsense does not work.
Now I'm scared. I've done loads tonight and I don't want to turn off my console just in case it hasn't been saving. :lol

OMG Aero

Has anyone managed to complete the Castle Crusher warp zone on world 2 yet (It's the Gameboy one)? I can't do it at all and the 3 life limit is making me rage so hard. As far as I can work out there is a specific noise you listen to and then the next chainsaw is delayed so you can run past it but I can't ever get past the second one.

Edit: Typical that I do it after posting. You have to wait for the weird noise and jump then instead of waiting for the chainsaw to pass.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarosh said:
kinda baffled at the unanimous praise this game is getting. it's a neat time waster, but it feels mostly like a throwaway experience. i wouldn't call the level design "genius". it's conservative and utilitarian at best and predictable and boring at worst. sure, it can be punishingly hard, but outside of the difficulty the levels are extremely straightforward, the obstacles obviously placed, the frustration factor a tad too calculated. there's nothing particularly clever about the level design, it speaks volumes that the dark world levels often simply consist of "same layout, more of the same obstacles and traps". the levels never throws you for a loop. it's all just "variations on a theme" and none of the themes feel particularly fresh or inventive. besides that i find the characters and the style to be devoid of charm, the humor crude, the world design sterile and the music gratingly harmless.

I don't really know why people are jumping on you, because you're right about everything you say. The game, like most of the best flash platformers, is pretty utilitarian and obvious. The humor is patently crude. There's no disputing that. VVVVVV and Zeta's World are two examples of games with much better, more inspired level design. It's not as frustrating as Mario Air or IWBTG or any of the other "you must die a million times to be able to succeed" class of games, but some of the deaths are frustrating rather than encouraging.

The thing that you're missing, at least in my opinion, is that the game really has a "zen groove" like the best platformers; it's true that the obstacles aren't really novel in design, concept, or placement, but when you get a good streak going or when you get the perfect muscle memory after fighting a war of attrition with a given level, there's a really wonderful cathartic response, and you can easily slip into a trance playing the game. The short level length also enables a real "just one more level" feel, combining the addictiveness of a good puzzler with the platformer genre. It's also got, like N+, sublime controls so you always feel like your actions directly lead to the outcome you get.

I think all of Danielsans' points about the game's better aspects are true, and all your points are true (I don't think any of the arguments are really mutually exclusive, honestly), although my conclusion about the actual quality of the game is closer to his than yours.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Danielsan said:
Exactly. And when you get the timings right, that feeling is just amazing. Such an incredible flow to the game. The last game I had this much fun with was Bit.Trip.Runner.

Yeah, the flow you get into is what I'm enjoying. It reminds me of the hardest but best designed parts in the Lost Levels. You're always a fraction of an inch from disaster but in complete control of your guy. The precision in the air as well as the two wall climb maneuvers produce a fun way to fling your guy around.

I've only played through the first light world completely though, so I'm anxious to see where it goes design-wise. Aesthetically I'm not worried but I am a little worried about level design, mostly on if I'll even be able to finish it :lol

I really liked the handling of the warp zones so far, provide a nice change of pace, although they are frustrating as hell lol.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fuck that Dr. Fetus stage, I got to the end and I fucking ran into the saws.. Now I cannot get there again arghhhhh :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stumpokapow said:
Well I loved the demo but I think I'm going to wait for the patch to buy the game. Leaderboard bugs in a score attack game + save bugs in an incredibly challenging game are not a good combination.
The interesting thing is that N+ had save bugs as well.

Mar

I have fallen in love with this game. I'm not that far in (finished world 1 and 2 and world 1's dark levels) but so far this is GOATY material. The guys who made this are geniuses.

PasteyMF said:
Buy this game already.
And if you love it, BUY N+.

Entirely disagree. I found N+ boring.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Label said:
Fuck that Dr. Fetus stage, I got to the end and I fucking ran into the saws.. Now I cannot get there again arghhhhh :lol

Did that three or four times. :D
But by then you know the level by heart and it becomes pretty easy.

Gribbix

-Mikey- said:
Has Team Meat said anything official about the save bug?
http://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy/status/28011526922
Team Meat said:
it only happens when you collect the same bandaid 2 times. avoid that and youll be ok. eithe rway it will be fixed very soon
http://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy/status/28032497450
Team Meat said:
It'll fix stuff. 0.0 scores will be deleted, bandaid counts will be recalculated and all will be right with the world

Top Bottom