• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jarosh said:
bs. good d-pad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> analog stick. :p

for somethings sure, but I think meatboy actually benefits from analogue control. can't really explain why though, it just feels really good with the analogue stick. Probably due to me liking to point in the direction I'm jumping when I jump.

jarosh

catfish said:
for somethings sure, but I think meatboy actually benefits from analogue control. can't really explain why though, it just feels really good with the analogue stick. Probably due to me liking to point in the direction I'm jumping when I jump.
hm. i doubt there's any sort of analog sensitivity that would come into play when running, considering that there's a run button, right? it's a simple (digital) on/off affair, i believe. iirc the control layout in the menu actually recommends using the dpad (although i understand that you'd prefer the analog stick over the shitty default dpad, but not over a DECENT one).

So I bought the game yesterday but did not have time to play it yet, is this bug a really big problem and should I wait untill the patch is out or?
ccording to tweets posted on Super Meat Boy’s twitter account, the game’s got an “auto-save bug” which prevents your progress from being saved if you collect the same band-aid more than once every level.

The problem’s been fixed, apparently, and a patch will be released next week.

????

Hige

The Dutch Slayer said:
So I bought the game yesterday but did not have time to play it yet, is this bug a really big problem and should I wait untill the patch is out or?

????
I would just play the game as is. The bug is avoidable as long as you don't grab a bandage > die > grab the same exact one when you respawn. If you grab a bandage and die, until this gets patched I would either avoid the bandage a 2nd time or just go to another level.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hige said:
I would just play the game as is. The bug is avoidable as long as you don't grab a bandage > die > grab the same exact one when you respawn. If you grab a bandage and die, until this gets patched I would either avoid the bandage a 2nd time or just go to another level.

Does anyone know if once you have activated the bug, is there a way to deactivate it? I've quit the entire game and restarted and the bug remains in play, it seems I can no longer collect ANY bandages.

Hige

That's weird. If the bug's been activated, my game always goes back to normal after I exit to dashboard and restart the game. I still lose some progress, but it hasn't prevented me from collecting extra bandages.

NameGenerated said:
I that really how it happens? I've done that tons of times (like the one in the Factory where you just drop straight down and grab it) and haven't been bugged.
That's what Team Meat is saying. (link)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hige said:
I that really how it happens? I've done that tons of times (like the one in the Factory where you just drop straight down and grab it) and haven't been bugged.

Danielsan

catfish said:
Does anyone know if once you have activated the bug, is there a way to deactivate it? I've quit the entire game and restarted and the bug remains in play, it seems I can no longer collect ANY bandages.
That's odd. The bug should go away after a reboot. Try collecting a different bandage (perhaps from a warp zone) to see of that offsets the bug.

NameGenerated said:
I also don't believe this is how the bug occurs.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
That's odd. The bug should go away after a reboot.

you have to exit to dashboard? I didn't do that, I quit the game back to menu. Didn't have enough time to write a test plan for this annoying bug... which I nearly would do, cause it's otherwise perfect.

Bugs aside I'd give this game 10/10 if it wasn't for the 3 lives then a loading screen thing for the warp zones. It's the only fault I can find with the game.

I finally found this generations monkey ball for me. I perfected monkey ball one on the GC, I'm sure as hell going to do it for this as well. This will be the second game after pacman CE that I get 200/200

jarosh said:
i have never not played the game for a+ times. so my experience is no different from yours. i actually find that the game is fairly forgiving in giving out the a+ badges. i usually replay a level until i get a+ and then move on.
To start with... later on, not so much.

But anyway, for the "perfect" runs I'm talking about times considerably better than what you'd need for A+. It's actually a shame you can't see the top leaderboard replays because you'd get a better idea of what I mean if you could.

jarosh

Psychotext said:

But anyway, for the "perfect" runs I'm talking about times considerably better than what you'd need for A+. It's actually a shame you can't see the top leaderboard replays because you'd get a better idea of what I mean if you could.
i agree, that is a shame! i was hoping you'd be able to check out other people's replays, like in mm10. i'd be very interested in that.

Danielsan

Jucksalbe said:
I started to use the left trigger. Much more comfortable.
I've been using left trigger since the start. Keeps my entire right hand focussed on jumping. :lol
Also prevents my right hand from turning into a claw. That said, my wrist has seriously been hurting since this game came out. I can feel the muscles connected to my thumb tense up whenever I make a button pressing movement with it. :lol

Shurs

pad2.jpg

I don't know what this is, but I want it.

What is it called?

How much is it?

Where can I get two?

h3ro

Shurs said:
I don't know what this is, but I want it.

What is it called?

How much is it?

Where can I get two?

I think that's a Rock Band portable drum controller. I'm sure one of the guys that has one could hook you up with a link on where to pick one up.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
catfish said:
thank god. something that really irks me in games is being able to get more than 100%. that's not how percent works!
I'm fairly certain you can get much more than 100% in world 1, and that has nothing to do with glitches. Dunno about the other worlds, based on the percentages I have vs. what I need, they're either 100 or not as much over it as world 1.

The End's glitch world is awesome.
SMB3 Airship!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Finished unlocking the kid at 2500 deaths and 50% complete(although save bug might be messing that stat up). The game is on easy mode now that i only use the kid. Being able to change your momentum in the air at the drop of a dime is so useful. It makes avoiding obstacles you're flying into and landing on those tiny platforms a cinch. I cant tell for sure but i think because of the double jump he can jump further and higher then meat boy too. His only real weakness is wall jumping straight up tall walls or cliffs. He's my only unlock except for jill, gish, and alien hominid so maybe there are even better characters but hes my favorite so far. I can't wait to unlock Tim.

I dont understand why anyone would choose to only play as meat boy. I've heard a lot of people say they are denying themselves something if they skipped some obstacles using character abilities but I think your denying yourself more for not trying the different gameplay of the different characters and solving the puzzles of who would work best where.

This game doesn't need a d-pad. The controls are just perfect with the analog stick. The controls are actually 50% of why this game is so good.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
This game doesn't need a d-pad. The controls are just perfect with the analog stick. The controls are actually 50% of why this game is so good.

I agree completely.

My interest in the Rock Band pad is for other games.

Shurs said:
I agree completely.

My interest in the Rock Band pad is for other games.

It wasn't adressed to anybody lol, just giving my opinion in this debate.

Anyway, I think I'll just stop playing until the patch comes out. Although it's going to be hard because I'm addicted to this game.

Psychotext said:

jarosh said:
i agree, that is a shame! i was hoping you'd be able to check out other people's replays, like in mm10. i'd be very interested in that.
Actually, I'm going to try recording my speed run attempts for all worlds if you're still interested in watching this, boss fights included even though there's no timer for those. I've only done the Light version of World 1 so far as I'm busy editing and improving a few times of the Dark stages, but I should be able to finish that up today I think. A+'d everything, but suffice to say, I feel I can still shave off a few seconds here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cXegfFwPs

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So how difficult is this game just to clear all the "main world stages" ?

I haven't even THOUGHT about doing Dark World stuff or collecting bandages. I just want to clear the normal levels...

theultimo

Adam Prime said:
So how difficult is this game just to clear all the "main world stages" ?

I haven't even THOUGHT about doing Dark World stuff or collecting bandages. I just want to clear the normal levels...
Not too terrible until world 3, but it does get frustrating in the later levels.

Played through the demo last night. Amazing game.

Not sure if I'll buy it though. My hands were sore and my controller almost went flying just from the demo. I might be too weak to handle the real deal!

I just tried the portable drum controller on this game, and it's pretty damn terrible. The buttons on that controller are awful.

EDIT: After playing a few levels with it, it's not too bad, but using the X button to run is definitely way worse than using a trigger.

Danielsan

I just racked up about 2000 deaths or so just trying to beat the first stage of the Kid's warp zone. I've become pretty good at the first 2/3 but the end just kills me. I made it up to the last jump and then..splat. Jumped in too low. :lol :(

Didn't know you could use the left trigger... that should ease the pain in my right hand. Maybe I'll just tape it down... walking is for wimps. :lol

Hixx

How the hell do you get 3-4's bandage. I mean, really. I suppose you need an unlockable character for it?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
HixxSAFC said:
How the hell do you get 3-4's bandage. I mean, really. I suppose you need an unlockable character for it?

I've just passed a salt level where there is a warp that meat boy can in no way make. which one is the bandage you are talking? Involves locks?

I've seen 2 instances so far where I thought 'meat boy cant make that' anyone confirm?

Hmm... I thought Hell would be harder. Oh well, plenty more to come.

catfish said:
I've just passed a salt level where there is a warp that meat boy can in no way make.
You're right, you need
Captain video
or whatever his name is.

jarosh

a+'d all the levels up to the end of world 4. and the world 4 boss is so unbelievably stupid, i think it just made me quit the game for good.

total death count: 540

AndyMoogle said:
I got that achievement one level too early.

Running with the right trigger is so much better.
I tried switching to that after playing it for awhile, and my brain couldn't catch up fast enough to convince me to switch. The trigger's quite deep, so holding it and releasing it in rapid fashion for certain parts of the game would be a bit more difficult, I think. I wish I could customize the controller layout.

pad2.jpg

I want this.

Danielsan

DancingJesus said:
This game deserves to be higher rated by 360 users.

Do it!
Already gave it 5 stars.

HixxSAFC said:
Use Ogmo. Ogmo is the man. Has the same skills as The Kid as far as I can tell. Except he is 100x easier to get.

jarosh said:
a+'d all the levels up to the end of world 4. and the world 4 boss is so unbelievably stupid, i think it just made me quit the game for good.

total death count: 540
Jump over his fists as they are coming your way. If you are like me and actually think you can't jump over the fists resulting in pure rage as you try to side jump the platform. :lol
Though clearly this game isn't for you.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Anyone have info on the Steam release, other than it's out in late Nov.? Don't know if I should get the XBLA version or that--Steam achievements plus user-created levels might sway me that way.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Danielsan said:
Jump over his fists as they are coming your way. If you are like me and actually think you can't jump over the fists resulting in pure rage as you try to side jump the platform. :lol
There is a bit of a difference. The Kid has a stock of 2 jumps no matter what. IE, if you jump off a platform, you have one more jump left. But if you walk/run off a platform without jumping, you can jump twice in the air afterwards.

Whereas once Ogmo's in the air, he only gets one more jump.

Fox318

I can't wait for the PC version to pick this up. I would get it for the xbox but the PC community will probably be nuts for this.

And how is the guy from VVVVV not in this?

eQlVX.jpg

NewFresh

Fox318 said:
I can't wait for the PC version to pick this up. I would get it for the xbox but the PC community will probably be nuts for this.

And how is the guy from VVVVV not in this?

eQlVX.jpg

I think VVVVVV (six V's) was not in it because he is newer to the Indie scene

jarosh

Danielsan said:
oh i know i can jump over them. but this whole thing basically amounts to nothing more than a tedious step-by-step game of simon. at least mega man (and similar) games give you the opportunity to survive long enough to see the whole pattern and even sudden attacks can usually still be avoided. plus, games that heavily rely on pattern memorization usually mix up and randomize attacks. you just have to know how to react to certain attacks or tells, but you still have to improvise. but this boss fight really IS just a punishing version of simon without the possibility to memorize anything until it's too late, so it boils down to memorizing every attack, one at a time, and there's no improvising either. not my idea of fun.

Red

SolidEyeSystem said:
The timer resets when you die, you don't have to restart the level to earn the A+. Or am I missing something here?
Eh, that's weird then. I'm nearly positive I finished levels under par time but failed to get the A+ because of multiple deaths prior to completion. I then replayed, taking the same amount of time, but got the A+ because of (I'm assuming) not dying.
LordPhoque said:
I disagree. I loved the analog controls in N+, but something about them feels off to me in SMB. Not sure what it is. Maybe that they're too precise, or that the sticks are too loose or something. I keep over/underjumping and spazzing out when I try to land on a specific location.

Makes me look forward to the Razer Onza, that's for sure. Adjustable stick sensitivity = win.

Plus the D-pad on that controller looks a hell of a lot better than the 360's default anyway.

For reference I played through a majority of N on PC and 360 and finished VVVVVV without issue. I typically love games like this. There's just something about Super Meat Boy that feels frustratingly cheap. I don't feel limited by my abilities and I don't feel I'm beating stages because of any particular skill. Many of my deaths are my fault, sure, but when it seems they aren't maaannnnnnnn do I rage. Keep feeling robbed of progress because of things I can't control.

Top Bottom