• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Amir0x

Banned
OHMAHGEE

CAMEO FROM ONE OF FAVORITE DLC GAMES ALL GEN

BIT TRIP RUNNER

how did I miss this the first time!?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

this game is sick sick sick SICK

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
see5harp said:
How the hell do you get to the warp on 2-12? It's like in the ground.
A key drops on the left of the warp hole platform after you get the first key. It just freefalls from the ceiling and plummets into a pit, you gotta time your jump precisely to grab it.

TheOddOne

Amir0x said:
OHMAHGEE

CAMEO FROM ONE OF FAVORITE DLC GAMES ALL GEN

BIT TRIP RUNNER

how did I miss this the first time!?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

this game is sick sick sick SICK
I've never seen you this exited Amir0x. Its kind of ... scary.

see5harp

Shig said:
A key drops on the left of the warp hole platform after you get the first key. It just freefalls from the ceiling and plummets into a pit, you gotta time your jump precisely to grab it.

Thanks got it.

There's this weird warp zone I unlocked in world 1, the name is all glitchy and stuff. How the hell did I unlock it? I was just searching for bandages and it unlocked randomly at the end of a level.

Red

Baloonatic said:
There's this weird warp zone I unlocked in world 1, the name is all glitchy and stuff. How the hell did I unlock it? I was just searching for bandages and it unlocked randomly at the end of a level.
Yeah same thing happened to me. Pretty difficult stage, too. Not really up for it right now. Teh Internets tired me out :lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Baloonatic said:
Every so often, the Bandage Girl waiting for you at the end of a level is all glitched out and making sort of a modem noise. Rescue her during this turn and it unlocks a -1 level, every chapter has one. I'd say it happens somewhere between 1/50-1/100 tries. Once you unlock it, it should be on the map as a yellow square before the first level.

It sounds easy enough, but in later worlds it's quite a feat to actually beat the level on the same try where it occurs, considering you're going to be dying a lot. Once you lose a life, she goes back to normal and then it's another while until you'll see her again.

Chapter 6's minus level is the best (although, curiously, one of the easiest), it's too bad so few people will actually get it.

Amir0x

Banned
Shig said:
Every so often, the Bandage Girl waiting for you at the end of a level is all glitched out and making sort of a modem noise. Rescue her during this turn and it unlocks a -1 level, every chapter has one. I'd say it happens somewhere between 1/50-1/100 tries. Once you unlock it, it should be on the map as a yellow square before the first level.

It sounds easy enough, but in later worlds it's quite a feat to actually beat the level on the same try where it occurs, considering you're going to be dying a lot. Once you lose a life, she goes back to normal and then it's another while until you'll see her again.

Chapter 6's minus level is the best (although, curiously, one of the easiest), it's too bad so few people will actually get it.

Jesus. There's no way i am ever going to waste time doing that. That's silly that it unlocks by some random roll of the dice. I don't care if it's difficult to GET to, but to have to just hope this load of the level makes the bandage girl glitchy is retarded to a fault

Hige

Amir0x said:
Jesus. There's no way i am ever going to waste time doing that. That's silly that it unlocks by some random roll of the dice. I don't care if it's difficult to GET to, but to have to just hope this load of the level makes the bandage girl glitchy is retarded to a fault
It's not that bad. I've unlocked a couple while going through levels for par times or bandages. You can also repeat an easy level where Bandage Girl is visible on the screen and die if she isn't the glitched version. Even in the later chapters there's usually an ideal level for brute forcing it. It's easier than it sounds IMO.

I've never experienced a game that physically gave me sore thumbs, but Meat Boy somehow managed to do it - and I loved every minute of it. However, I don't think I can handle the Dark World on some of the later chapters...

The ending is hilarious and satisfying even if you only complete the Light World.

JEKKI

2-9 dark world stage.

wtf I cant get that bandage!!! >_<

or is it 2-10?? not sure... the one with the dang fans!!

deadnoob

Duuuuude.

That kill screen on World 1 was killing me last night but I somehow manages to get passed it. I honestly don't even know how I got passed the middle but the end section I actually did my first try (thank god!)

theultimo

Man, you have to complete
Dark world Levels for
the true boss and ending
...28 in, hopefully can do the rest. 96% done with light world.

JEKKI

hmmm... it appears that some of the bandages are impossible to get unless u use the powers of the other selectable characters???

coz I only got 2 doods unlocked and I came across a bandage (stage 3-4 I think?) that I really dont think meat boy can grab without dying...

Got hit by the save bug because I was stupid. :lol I didn't realize that I got the same bandage twice cause I died and tried the watch replay trick, which doesn't work by the way, and lost just a few Grade A+ level completions that I can re-do real quick. Man, I was thinking yesterday that I would of SUCKED HARD if I was hit with the save bug while doing The Kids levels, that or a system update in the middle of running through the levels since I am in the beta. That would of sucked so bad.

Edit:
JEKKI said:
hmmm... it appears that some of the bandages are impossible to get unless u use the powers of the other selectable characters???

coz I only got 2 doods unlocked and I came across a bandage (stage 3-4 I think?) that I really dont think meat boy can grab without dying...

Yes you need certain characters for certain bandages, I've so far used Commander video for some and The Kid for a few.

seat

This is easily one of the best games on XBLA. It definitely makes up for the disappointment that's known as "Limbo".

Nabs said:
They wanted to add the dude from Cave Story, but the dev said no :(

What would have been awesome would be a character sprite creation mode like 3D Dot Heroes or Cladun: This is an RPG had.

Naturally that would result in a lot of youtube videos of penises jumping into buzzsaws...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just hope that I can at least earn one achievement before I die of grief from not being good enough at this game. I'm still making good progress, I'm almost done with world 2, but if the difficulty is significantly ramped up in the preceding worlds, it's gonna be tough.

it's weird because I A+ some in my first try but others take me a few dozen tries. Fun game, though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So....4-16. It's the first level I'm straight up stuck on. I just don't understand how to beat it. My best guess is to leave to top block undissolved to block the left laser, but that seems insanely difficult if it even works at all.

Hige

NameGenerated said:
So....4-16. It's the first level I'm straight up stuck on. I just don't understand how to beat it. My best guess is to leave to top block undissolved to block the left laser, but that seems insanely difficult if it even works at all.
Jump up the wall with the dissolving blocks but hold A to extend your vertical range. Both blocks dissolve and the left laser is blocked by a solid block next to it. Slide to the right into this newly created opening, pause briefly next to the wall on the left so the left laser is blocked, then run up the right side and do a short hop slide up the dissolving wall to avoid the missile fragments. From there you're home free.

Salsa

Patch coming soon

For those of you who have really begun to dig into Super Meat Boy, you might have run into an issue or two. For some players, the bandages they earn in levels aren't showing up on the map as "collected," but their total bandage count is increasing.

Yeah, that's not supposed to happen. On a related note, earning the same bandage multiple times can lead to problems with the autosave functionality not working properly. Thankfully, Team Meat is on top of it, and should have a title update with the necessarily remedies soon.

There's also the more common issue of the timer being stuck at zero seconds when players switch characters right after entering a level, which is making the leaderboards look silly. That's also a known issue, so nothing to fret over.

Fletcher

Totally had no idea about this game at all. Saw it on sell on the home screen when i woke up. Bought it on a whim.

Best decision I've made in a long time. Made my weekend.

mavs

The Kid's warp zone is teaching me just how little innate talent I have at platforming. Probably 250+ attempts and I only got to the horizontal section of the first level once, and instantly died.

hampig

Psychotext said:
I wonder how many 360s will die from having been left on to avoid re-doing stage 1 / stage 2 of The Kid. :D
Stage 3 of the kid was the hardest by far. My thumb still hurts.

Nabs

SalsaShark said:
Patch coming soon

The patch may also come with a whole chapter for Teh Internets. Lucky bastards.

To sweeten the deal, and also to attempt to make up for the minor annoyances I personally am working on an unannounced internets chapter to be released with the title update. this exclusive chapter called "I Meat Boy" will feature 20 amazingly challenging levels that will keep your attention for some time

Monocle

I checked out some pics of Super Meat Boy and wasn't particularly interested, but I downloaded the demo anyway since everyone seemed to be losing it over how awesome the game is. 10 minutes of playing and next thing I know I've bought the full version. :lol

This is a really slick package with a lot of content. Negative World, bonus characters with different abilities, warp zones, and the fantastic replay system that makes every victory so sweet...there's so much more than I expected. This game is right up there with Castle Crashers in terms of its distinctive and memorable presentation. Great music, great visual aesthetic. Meat Boy's design is hilarious, and the little touches like his meat trail and squinchy sounds give him a lot of character. I love the unlockable gamerpic with his face.

The controls gave me some issues in several of the demo levels, but after a half hour or so they felt just about perfect. Meat Boy is a badass with his crazy speed and wall acrobatics. It feels awesome to make him shoot through a level over wide gaps and between sawblades.

Super Meat Boy is easily one of the top five XBLA games currently available. Easily.

ArjanN

InfectedZero said:
Remind me who the boss is again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCnFRQdwY2Q
Also, finished uploading my video, it consists of just the last level to show you how much of a bitch it is. Its cam footage so sorry for that, thats all I can do at the moment. I don't finish it either till after I run out of memory lmfao. This is after 3 hours or so and my thumb is killing me at this point. Its just a taste of whats to come for other who have yet to attempt the asshole that is The Kid. :lol

This is pretty funny, but you can tell right from the start you are already way too frustrated.

When you die the restart time is so short that it's tempting to just try to brute force the levels, but they're too difficult for that.

Kweh

Shig said:

I lucked out and got this on 1-1 :lol

Started collecting bandages, but it's frustrating as fuck to have to return to the menu if you die after grabbing one. I think I'll leave it for a while.

Amir0x

Banned
I must be fucking lucky this year or something. This year was pretty mediocre and then all of a sudden Super Mario Galaxy 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Super Meat Boy and Vanquish enter into my life. And before this year, I was always pretty meh on the downloadable service... now TWO downloadable games are among the top contenders for games this year, if not the generation.

I am in bliss heaven right now.

God bless this wonderful world of ours *salute*

seat said:
This is easily one of the best games on XBLA. It definitely makes up for the disappointment that's known as "Limbo".

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light already washed that nasty taste from my mouth. This just erased my memory too :lol

Hige

Psychotext said:
Started collecting bandages, but it's frustrating as fuck to have to return to the menu if you die after grabbing one. I think I'll leave it for a while.
I honestly don't know what causes the save bug anymore. Team Meat said it was getting the same bandage twice, but I've been doing exactly that and the save bug hasn't activated.

So right now I'm just getting a bandage after several attempts without exiting the stage, check if the bandage is on the map tile and then exit back to the dashboard and relaunch. It's tedious, but less so than exiting the stage each time after a failed bandage attempt. Currently at 97/100, so close! :D

Also if anyone wants to add me my GT is in my profile. Could use some more motivation to go back for faster times.

Amir0x said:
wait wtf

why do you have to return to the menu if you die after grabbing one!?
Team Meat said on their twitter that the save bug was due to getting a bandage twice in a row. (link) This can happen if you collect a bandage but fail to complete the level, thus the bandage will still be there for you to collect when you respawn. But I've been collecting the same bandage more than once on the harder levels and the game hasn't glitched. *shrug* So I don't know what causes the bug exactly, but I've been saving my progress by relaunching the game after I get a bandage.

Danielsan

Amir0x said:
wait wtf

why do you have to return to the menu if you die after grabbing one!?
You don't. It's bullshit, it's not what causes the bug.

Also:
181590640-eb538922d1ecd45ec3c5dc61940a20a7.4cc2e358-scaled.jpg

Fuck this level and anyone involved in its creation. I can make it up to the third elevator and then the Kid goes splat.

depward

I'm enjoying this... but I'm preferring N+ for a couple of reasons:

1) I really like that I can push one button to retry a level on N+. For SMB, I need to run into a chainsaw or something. I get why they went this route - so they can show all of your deaths after doing a successful run, but what about adding an explosion when you do push a button to restart so you can still get that "this is how far I got til I restarted" type of view.

2) Bandage bug. This fix will come in time, though.

3) I like the slower pace of N+ but I'm slowly adapting to how quick everything is, especially when wall clinging. You really slide down quickly :lol

That being said, it's definitely a great game and a really good deal @ 800 points.

Top Bottom