• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

sonicmj1

jarosh said:
oh i know i can jump over them. but this whole thing basically amounts to nothing more than a tedious step-by-step game of simon. at least mega man (and similar) games give you the opportunity to survive long enough to see the whole pattern and even sudden attacks can usually still be avoided. plus, games that heavily rely on pattern memorization usually mix up and randomize attacks. you just have to know how to react to certain attacks or tells, but you still have to improvise. but this boss fight really IS just a punishing version of simon without the possibility to memorize anything until it's too late, so it boils down to memorizing every attack, one at a time, and there's no improvising either. not my idea of fun.

The World 4 boss is the worst stage I've encountered through the first five worlds. There are some similarities in design for the World 5 boss, but at least that level has some variability in the pattern. World 4 is exactly the same every time, and success just means standing in the right place at the right time, which is easy if you know what's coming, and nearly impossible if you don't.

It's not hard once you know the pattern, but it's basically trial and error in order to learn it.

Unless World 6 really disappoints me somehow, though, that stage is the first and last of its kind.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
In the later levels, I'm starting to notice a pattern in my emotions when I first start a new level:

1. Interest: Hmmm, I wonder what they have in store for me?
  2. Confusion: What in the hell do they expect me to do here?
  3. Understanding: Ok, I get it! Now it comes down to execution!
  4. Frustration: I hit the jump button god dammit!
  5. Outright Hostility: Fuck you devs! I will find you!
  6. Dejection: I'll never finish this. It's hopeless.
  7. Hope: Maybe if I just hold the wall slide just a half second longer...
  8. Exultation: I made it! Holy crap this game is amazing!
  9. Fear: Shit, I have 2 more levels to go before the end of this chapter.

Yea, that was me for worlds 4 and 5. I'm just about to start 6 and expect the pattern to continue.

theultimo

DancingJesus said:
How are supposed to beat 4-16? :(
Air Control. Slide up the wall with the breakable blocks, then jump through doing minute corrections until the second laser is not able to hit you. Then jump and dodge the top turret.

RiccochetJ said:
In the later levels, I'm starting to notice a pattern in my emotions when I first start a new level:

1. Interest: Hmmm, I wonder what they have in store for me?
  2. Confusion: What in the hell do they expect me to do here?
  3. Understanding: Ok, I get it! Now it comes down to execution!
  4. Frustration: I hit the jump button god dammit!
  5. Outright Hostility: Fuck you devs! I will find you!
  6. Dejection: I'll never finish this. It's hopeless.
  7. Hope: Maybe if I just hold the wall slide just a half second longer...
  8. Exultation: I made it! Holy crap this game is amazing!
  9. Fear: Shit, I have 2 more levels to go before the end of this chapter.

Yea, that was me for worlds 4 and 5. I'm just about to start 6 and expect the pattern to continue.

Ahahaahaha just wait man, you JUST WAIT asl;kjd;lakja;lsd.

theultimo said:
Air Control. Slide up the wall with the breakable blocks, then jump through doing minute corrections until the second laser is not able to hit you. Then jump and dodge the top turret.

Thank you.

After several million attempts, I beat it. :D

I really need to remember to restart the game if I die after trying to get a bandage. It would suuuuuuuck to lose progress on some of the more serious levels.

JimboJones

Woops, accidentally purchased this instead of getting the demo, second time I have done that now >_<
I am enjoying it though got through the first world so far.

Danielsan

AndyMoogle said:
3-17x is such a bullshit level. Rocket turrets in these kind of games have to go away.
Hahaha yes, but when you find the perfect route it's awesome. Just finished that level myself. :D
3-20x is some real bullshit. Well... getting the bandage is some real bullshit.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JimboJones said:
Woops, accidentally purchased this instead of getting the demo, second time I have done that now >_<
I am enjoying it though got through the first world so far.
MS's wonky Marketplace layouts FTW. :lol

I'm up to The End level 3, and I think N+ is probably still a better game than this. I sorta preferred the simplicity of N+, and how you had just a box with a level in it... that game depended so much more on it's genius level design. Yet I feel with SMB there's one or two more variables than there needs to be, which gives the feeling of them copping out with the level design in some respects by adding new obstacle #345346. Instead of making flat out amazing levels, they just seem to add something new.

Great game, though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It's been said, but stage 4's boss is absolutely unnecessary and horrible in design. It's seriously the main low point of the game, thus far...

Oldschoolgamer said:
It's been said, but stage 4's boss is absolutely unnecessary and horrible in design. It's seriously the main low point of the game, thus far...
Remind me who the boss is again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCnFRQdwY2Q
Also, finished uploading my video, it consists of just the last level to show you how much of a bitch it is. Its cam footage so sorry for that, thats all I can do at the moment. I don't finish it either till after I run out of memory lmfao. This is after 3 hours or so and my thumb is killing me at this point. Its just a taste of whats to come for other who have yet to attempt the asshole that is The Kid. :lol

alright so I was just playing the Light World equivalent of Whitewash in Level 1 - The Forest (the level with all the rotating saws and the bandage on the side of one of the platforms). I had already beaten it with an A+ and got the bandage but was searching for 3 bandages I couldn't find in the Forest and while I was navigating the platforms the Protoman whistle (from Megaman 3) went off out of nowhere and I got a cutscene with Meat Boy dressed as Protoman saying something about the Year 20XX, it went off pretty quick and didn't seem to unlock any levels or characters that I can tell of...

Anyone know what just happened?

I love this damn game

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
InfectedZero said:

Also, finished uploading my video, it consists of just the last level to show you how much of a bitch it is. Its cam footage so sorry for that, thats all I can do at the moment. I don't finish it either till after I run out of memory lmfao. This is after 3 hours or so and my thumb is killing me at this point. Its just a taste of whats to come for other who have yet to attempt the asshole that is The Kid. :lol

I beat it, but it was the
big domo from hell looking brownie

That looks absolutely crazy...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is dangerous to your mental health.

When I get stuck on a level, I can't stop until I've beaten it. There's no fuckin way I can quit the level or go to bed. It's obsessive. When I finally beat it the replay looks insane with 100 meatboys simultaneously jumping to their deaths.

Starting to meet my match with some of these dark levels now.

Snuggler said:

When I get stuck on a level, I can't stop until I've beaten it. It's obsessive. When I finally beat it the replay looks insane with 100 meatboys simultaneously jumping to their deaths.
Is 100 the max? On some of my speed attempts I can well imagine I'm up into the 500+ range. :lol

Snuggler said:

When I get stuck on a level, I can't stop until I've beaten it. There's no fuckin way I can quit the level or go to bed. It's obsessive. When I finally beat it the replay looks insane with 100 meatboys simultaneously jumping to their deaths.
Indeed. I've been rushing through the light world (79% complete) at the expense of warp zones and the dark world. I imagine when I go back to get A+ and complete the dark world, I will lose my mind entirely. It's difficult enough as it is. On 5-18 at the moment.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Psychotext said:
Starting to meet my match with some of these dark levels now.

Is 100 the max? On some of my speed attempts I can well imagine I'm up into the 500+ range. :lol

100-ish is my max so far, but I'm barely over halfway through the 2nd level. I don't know what the max on deaths is, if there even is one. There have been a few levels where I couldn't nail a certain part, but I haven't had any super difficult moments yet. I'm sure that I'll never be able to beat the later levels.

elwes

InfectedZero said:

Dude! I was just coming here to post this video. :lol

I also posted it to my facebook with the caption: "If you listen really closely, you can actually hear his sanity dissolving." :D

I'm coming up on that world. The amount of dread is immeasurable.

Flambe

Fuck, THIS game is what makes me finally want a 360 goddamnit :lol :lol

Videos of people playing is the funniest goddamn thing

Oldschoolgamer said:
I beat it, but it was the
big domo from hell looking brownie

That looks absolutely crazy...
Just get his pattern down and you will conquer him :). And I know what your talking about Snuggler, I wont stop till the current level is done. I clear it first, then I Grade A+ it if I didn't already, then I attempt to get the bandage last.

Edit: You guys just wait, wait till we have Teh Internets version of The Kids levels, I don't even want to think about it. 20 Levels of pure hell.

I can hear the game calling me from my TV in the other room...

...or it may just be that I want to go and shut off that really annoying looped menu music. :lol

theultimo

Snuggler said:
100-ish is my max so far, but I'm barely over halfway through the 2nd level. I don't know what the max on deaths is, if there even is one. There have been a few levels where I couldn't nail a certain part, but I haven't had any super difficult moments yet. I'm sure that I'll never be able to beat the later levels.
I broke it on Rapture. I died 2300 times, and it didn't show one, the whole replay was borked :lol

Red

How do you actually beat warp zones? I've done three so far and "completed" them all, but only one is meat-colored. The last one I did was Castle Crushers, and I'm assuming somehow I unlock a Castle Crasher through here, but simply finishing it did nothing. What gives?

Crunched said:
How do you actually beat warp zones? I've done three so far and "completed" them all, but only one is meat-colored. The last one I did was Castle Crushers, and I'm assuming somehow I unlock a Castle Crasher through here, but simply finishing it did nothing. What gives?
Meaty colored ones are character unlocks, obviously because your playing the character through it and there is no 3 life limit. Purple are regular warp zones that have 3 life limits per level and usually have a bandages included in each area, sometimes they don't.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Crunched said:
Blue ones don't have any unlocks, brown ones indicate unlockable characters. All the ones with unlockable characters play a little intro cutscene, and you play as that character through their levels.

I'm not sure if beating warp zones counts toward completion, but bandaids are part of completion and practically all the blue ones have 2 bandaids. You have to beat all 3 levels in the same run as you get the bandaids to actually have them credited, so...

Red

InfectedZero said:
Meaty colored ones are character unlocks, obviously because your playing the character through it and there is no 3 life limit. Purple are regular warp zones that have 3 life limits per level and usually have a bandages included in each area, sometimes they don't.
So Castle Crushers is no indication of an unlockable character? I assume I have to collect more bandages to unlock him, then. Is that how all unlocks work?

Crunched said:
So Castle Crushers is no indication of an unlockable character? I assume I have to collect more bandages to unlock him, then. Is that how all unlocks work?
They work both ways, find the warp zones for certain ones, unlock some with bandages.

ShogunX

Flambe said:
Fuck, THIS game is what makes me finally want a 360 goddamnit :lol :lol

Videos of people playing is the funniest goddamn thing

Totally worth the price of admission for XBLA alone.

Why is it when playing this game you press the jump button really fucking hard when you're a little desperate and end up destroying your finger/thumb?

naib

I consider myself quite the pussy when it comes to viddya games. If I beat games at all it's usually on normal/easy. I'm usually just in it for the MP.

But I'll be damned if I don't love thus fuckin' game. Halfway through world 3.

naib said:
I consider myself quite the pussy when it comes to viddya games. If I beat games at all it's usually on normal/easy. I'm usually just in it for the MP.

But I'll be damned if I don't love thus fuckin' game. Halfway through world 3.
You're a man now son. :lol

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bought one of those RB drum controllers, it looks fantastic. For $13 and the good suggestions in this thread I can't go wrong. On Amazon someone wrote that it works on PCs too, cannot wait.

Also definitely going to pick up VVVVVV based on suggestions in this thread. Might get N+ too but I haven't heard such universal praise about that title.

I'd be interested to know other platformers that I've missed this gen that compete with/are better than Super Meat Boy. I can understand the frustrations, and although I spoke highly of SMB in no way is it of equal to a Mario title. I merely meant to compare the frantic nature of SMB to some of the more intense Mario Lost Levels levels, or perhaps airship levels on SMB3.

Red

Fuck Meat Boy why aren't you jumping when I hit A aagghhhhhhh

So frustrating. I don't know what's going on but it feels less and less responsive as I progress. Driving me crazy. I've never yelled fuck so many times so fast before.

DJ_Tet said:
Bought one of those RB drum controllers, it looks fantastic. For $13 and the good suggestions in this thread I can't go wrong. On Amazon someone wrote that it works on PCs too, cannot wait.

Also definitely going to pick up VVVVVV based on suggestions in this thread. Might get N+ too but I haven't heard such universal praise about that title.

I'd be interested to know other platformers that I've missed this gen that compete with/are better than Super Meat Boy. I can understand the frustrations, and although I spoke highly of SMB in no way is it of equal to a Mario title. I merely meant to compare the frantic nature of SMB to some of the more intense Mario Lost Levels levels, or perhaps airship levels on SMB3.

I prefer both VVVVVV and N+ to SMB thus far. N+ is a zen experience, and VVVVVV is really clever and fun to play.

theultimo

DJ_Tet said:

If you want to try the demo, its here. VVVVVV is worth playing through at LEAST once:

http://thelettervsixtim.es/

mavs

Crunched said:

Warp zone unlocks don't show up until you unlock them. Bandage unlocks can all
most all?
be seen on the character select screen.

Red

mavs said:
Warp zone unlocks don't show up until you unlock them. Bandage unlocks can all
most all?
be seen on the character select screen.
I googled for the list. Looks like there is a character unlock warp zone once in each of the 5 main stages. The rest are about every 10 bandages, and there are a few which are just variations on Meat Boy himself.

I want to like this game but damn am I getting frustrated. I know that's the intent, but I'm getting mad here for the wrong reasons.

Might be time to switch to getting bandages in the early levels for me. I seem to have developed Tourette's over the course of the dark levels in the later stages. I'm a little concerned that I'm going to wake my neighbours. :lol

Red

Ranked 135 on Teh Internets leaderboards, but I still can't get stage 3 under par time. Anyone able to offer tips on that one? I'm like two seconds over.

TheOddOne

Psychotext said:
Might be time to switch to getting bandages in the early levels for me. I seem to have developed Tourette's over the course of the dark levels in the later stages. I'm a little concerned that I'm going to wake my neighbours. :lol
Hahhaha, same situation here also :lol

Danielsan

I just spent 2 and half to 3 hours trying to beat the Kid's warp zone with a buddy of mine.
We died around 1600 times... and we did not beat it.
I managed to clear the first stage, but we met our match at the fucking second stage. My buddy almost got it, but slipped up just a bit and that was that. We gave up. Tomorrow I will try again. Having to go through the first stage again *sigh*.

And yes, we both cursed up a storm. :lol

Top Bottom