• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Snuggler said:
I just hope that I can at least earn one achievement before I die of grief from not being good enough at this game.
One of the achievements is "find a warp zone"... How have you not done this? There's one sitting there right in plain sight in one of the first few levels (1-5).

The Tin Boy one's really easy too. Just go back and start at the first level then beat 10 without dying, those first levels are easy-peasy once you've dealt with a few of the later ones.

Unlocking Commander Video is pretty simple also. Warp for him is on 1-12.

Hige

Danielsan said:
Fuuuu, just made it to level 3 of The Kid's warpzone. This looks to be the easiest one, but it's very demanding... my hand hurts.
For the 2nd spike wall, you can time your jump from the 1st to the 2nd hallway so that you are chasing after the 2nd wall. You'll just barely reach the 3rd hallway before the wall comes back to kill you. That technique made that final level a little more manageable, since I was already tired from the first two levels.

Danielsan

Hige said:
For the 2nd spike wall, you can time your jump from the 1st to the 2nd hallway so that you are chasing after the 2nd wall. You'll just barely reach the 3rd hallway before the wall comes back to kill you. That technique made that final level a little more manageable, since I was already tired from the first two levels.
Thanks for the tip, will try it out in a few minutes. The second hallway is the easiest one though. The first and the third are hell.

edit: scratch that, the first hallway is ridiculously easy. The other two suck. :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Archie said:
http://www.diygamer.com/2010/10/super-meat-boy-bandage-warp-zone-guide/

I found this (incomplete) bandage guide online. My biggest complaint against the game is that there is nothing on the world map to show a level has a bandage or warp zone and I hate combing levels when I feel the game has a speed run focus so this guide is very helpful!
Thanks for this. I wanna get bandages and warp zones but cant be arsed to comb levels, either.

Amir0x

Banned
depward said:
I'm enjoying this... but I'm preferring N+ for a couple of reasons:

1) I really like that I can push one button to retry a level on N+. For SMB, I need to run into a chainsaw or something. I get why they went this route - so they can show all of your deaths after doing a successful run, but what about adding an explosion when you do push a button to restart so you can still get that "this is how far I got til I restarted" type of view.

2) Bandage bug. This fix will come in time, though.

3) I like the slower pace of N+ but I'm slowly adapting to how quick everything is, especially when wall clinging. You really slide down quickly :lol

That being said, it's definitely a great game and a really good deal @ 800 points.

you can slow the pace down. use a different slower character :D

Finally beat the game. Now time to unlock more characters besides Jill.

Oh, Cotton Alley is quite fiendish. I'm loving the bubblegum music, though. Feels like I'm playing an evil Kirby game or something...

I had a hell of a time with the final boss because I didn't see the switch at the top of the final room, so I had no fucking clue how to beat him. Ugh.

Looks like there are now 7 nutters on the leaderboards with 307 levels completed. I can't even imagine doing a lot of the levels, and frankly I'll be content if I can get to 250.

Hige

Psychotext said:
Looks like there are now 7 nutters on the leaderboards with 307 levels completed. I can't even imagine doing a lot of the levels, and frankly I'll be content if I can get to 250.
You might surprise yourself. I'm currently around 275 levels beaten and I never thought I'd get that far. It's mainly about being persistent and watching yourself get a little bit further each time as you build muscle memory. Also, I recommend checking the individual leaderboards to see what characters people used as sometimes certain characters can make a level much quicker and easier.

MMaRsu

Psychotext said:

7 nutters hahaha :D

Hige said:
You might surprise yourself. I'm currently around 275 levels beaten and I never thought I'd get that far. It's mainly about being persistent and watching yourself get a little bit further each time as you build muscle memory.
Maybe, but I'm not even attempting The Kid's world. :lol

RJNavarrete said:
How the hell do you beat the digging level on Teh Internets? Seems impossible :/
Get into a pattern of jumping against the side then sliding down, and repeating. You'll open up a hole under you each time, but you'll keep moving forward. When you get to the end simply headbutt the stuff above you.

I've not tried parring it yet though.

AndyMoogle said:
They really need to get rid of the 3 lives for warp zones. It does nothing but piss you off when you're going for bandages.
I'm happy enough with 3 lives, it's part of the challenge... but they need to make it load as instantly as possible once you've watched the intro once.

OMG Aero

AndyMoogle said:
They really need to get rid of the 3 lives for warp zones. It does nothing but piss you off when you're going for bandages.
Or at the very least give you a retry option when you die so you don't have to return to the map then load the stage again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
LordPhoque said:
So isn't this game supposed to have free DLC ? Can't find any on the market place.
nope. not yet.

EDIT. sorry, spoilerish I guess
during the course of the game you can unlock a world called 'the internets' which contains a list of the dlc, there is 1 there already and it's fucking hard. the rest have 'coming soon' placeholders

Danielsan

Darkflight said:
I can't even beat the first, it's fucking ridiculous.
The first is actually quite easy after 3 hours of failing. :lol
At least his first stage is all based on your own trajectory. The second and third stage add other moving elements which are fucked up.
I gave up at the third level. Couldn't get past the third floor...

Amir0x

Banned
LordPhoque said:
So isn't this game supposed to have free DLC ? Can't find any on the market place.

This game has tons of content. Frankly, if they do release a DLC, I hope it's just to change the retarded roll of the dice way one must find glitchy bandage girl

Shurs

Amir0x said:
This game has tons of content. Frankly, if they do release a DLC, I hope it's just to change the retarded roll of the dice way one must find glitchy bandage girl

They're going to release free DLC through Teh Internets Chapter. I think there are 3 level packs promised for this year.

If by DLC you guys mean level pack, there's aleady one out on "Teh Internets" but you have to unlock it first. You'll find it to the left of the first overworld.

Amir0x said:

Yes it does, but I was just wondering. Fair enough then, it's not like I'll be done with this game in a near future :lol
Oh and I did unlock the internets level. I thought it was just exclusive to the XBLA version of the game though, not DLC.

aw fuck. I'm going back to the first levels to complete the dark world and get all of the bandages I skipped earlier, but I keep running into the glitch :(. My times are on the leaderboard, but the game says I haven't completed the levels. How annoying.

edit: don't collect the same bandaid twice, right?

Amir0x

Banned
God these Super Meat Boy developers are just gaining an insane amount of respect. No pretensions like the Braid dude, just straight fucking unashamed hardcore gaming. And fuck everyone else.

Have they made anything else before? This shit is just incredible.

Amir0x said:
what's with all the bullshit 0.00 times on the leaderboards on 360?

They better fix that shit
Yup, the devs are aware of those 'illegal' times fortunately. Someone here posted a quote of them planning to fix that bug with the upcoming patch.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AndyMoogle said:
I'm okay with them, they add a bit of consequence to the second and third levels. They at least serve a purpose, though you may not agree with it.

Where the 3 lives thing makes zero sense is on the minus levels. There's no "fail the second or third stage and you have to start over from the first one again" threat there... It's one level, you're going to be starting from the same start point no matter where you die. Kicking you back to the map screen and making you watch the glitched intro screen every three tries is completely arbitrary and serves no purpose.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I hope someone compiles all of the cameos from the "sorry but our princess is in another castle" parts preferably with pictures. I was able to recognize the Darwinian but that's about it so far.

RedStep

Amir0x said:
jesus what is there to suggest he is capable of making a masterpiece

so amazing. should give any aspiring game developer hope *FLAG SALUTE*

Indeed. The only thing missing to make it perfect is Kinect support!

Can you imagine it? Turn left or right, then run in place to move. Jump to jump. Put your arms straight up to make Meat Boy run. You are the Meat Boy!

Shit, maybe it should only support Kinect!

Feindflug

Shurs said:
It's more than just a level. They're going to upload the best user created levels from PC as well.

That's great news but how the hell did MS let this happen? Team Meat = <3.

I'm having great fun lately - I'm playing Lara Croft & TGOL searching for all the secrets/doing the trials, just started Vanquish and of course continue playing the brutally awesome Super Meat Boy. :D

Amir0x

Banned
RedStep said:
Indeed. The only thing missing to make it perfect is Kinect support!

Can you imagine it? Turn left or right, then run in place to move. Jump to jump. Put your arms straight up to make Meat Boy run. You are the Meat Boy!

Shit, maybe it should only support Kinect!

maybe you should stop playing games and save the entire industry the trouble of you shitting it up because even your sarcasm is not wanted here.

Please visit this message board to find users more supportive of your joking commentary.

Amir0x

Banned
RedStep said:
Dude, I was just kidding - not even being sarcastic. That would be ridiculous, and a terrible idea. Absolutely no intent to offend.

I knew it was a joke, that's why I said "even your sarcasm is not wanted here."

I know it was a joke - but the idea behind it was so horrible that if there was a 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% chance of anyone taking it seriously and in the future a Super Meat Boy sequel was done with Kinect, it must never be spoken

speaking it gives it LIFE. We must be more, RedStep! WE MUST! :lol

Shig said:
I'm okay with them, they add a bit of consequence to the second and third levels. They at least serve a purpose, though you may not agree with it.

The problem is it kicking you back to the map I think. If it just sent you back to the first stage when you lost all your lives then that would be better.

Top Bottom