• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

I'm telling you there is some magic with this, you should check it out if you have a stick. I've been able to pull off maneuvers that I wasn't able to do with analog. I'm going to play with it for the rest of the night and see how my performance improves.

Barrett2

InfectedZero said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the IDEAL way to play Super Meat Boy just as someone stated earlier in this thread. I was curious on how precise and fluid the controls would be and holy fuck shit. Not only will this get rid of my thumb hurting but the amount of precision that you are able to have is beyond that of a Dpad or a Analog stick. If you guys have a stick I highly recommend trying it out.
004-6.jpg
Love that Game Boy case.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
InfectedZero said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the IDEAL way to play Super Meat Boy just as someone stated earlier in this thread. I was curious on how precise and fluid the controls would be and holy fuck shit. Not only will this get rid of my thumb hurting but the amount of precision that you are able to have is beyond that of a Dpad or a Analog stick. If you guys have a stick I highly recommend trying it out.
Yeah, I feel sorry for the people trying to play this with a stock 360 dpad.

lawblob said:
Love that Game Boy case.
Thank you. And I was able to get past a certain part in one of the glitch levels just for the precision that I had and was able to make a landing. :lol
I was also going to give my MadCatz Fightpad a go to see how well that plays.

Game is a tonne of fun, however world 4 boss and the critters in world 5 drag down the awesome.

I have been fixated on getting an A+ on every level before moving on to the next, so I am only about 1/3 done world 5 and have only A+'d the first two dark worlds. This doesn't even include bandages, warp zones and those specialty zones. There is so much content in this game for the price.

i finally got to play this AMAZING WONDERFUL game and my xbox just shut off after i beat the first chapter (non-Dark Zone).. goddamnit, it's so great it killed my xbox ;_;

Monocle

Jax said:
seems to review really well, but btw the title of the game, (AWESOME) and seeing those screens (eh?), interest deflated. :p
Don't bother trying the demo or anything. That would be madness.

Edit: I suppose I should add that I felt the same way as you until I played the game.

Amir0x

Banned
blame space said:
i finally got to play this AMAZING WONDERFUL game and my xbox just shut off after i beat the first chapter (non-Dark Zone).. goddamnit, it's so great it killed my xbox ;_;

wait your xbox died?

fuuuuck

REV 09

Jax said:
seems to review really well, but btw the title of the game, (AWESOME) and seeing those screens (eh?), interest deflated. :p
NES = worst system confirmed. The game is an homage to the 16 bit era.

Red

cjelly said:
I use the dpad...
I wish I could stand using it. Drives me crazy how imprecise and mushy it feels. I'm still not comfortable with using the analog stick, but it's miles ahead of the 360's d pad in terms of precision.

Adam J.

I beat the brown guy Boss tonight. The race to the top of the level was one of the most thrilling experiences I've ever had with a video game.

I messed around in Hell and beat a handful of levels. Game is starting to get scary. Hope I can beat all the Light levels.

Team Meat are game design gods. Cannot wait to see what kind of stuff they come up with in the future.

Kevtones

Phenomenal game. I'm at 23% with about 600 deaths.

Couple things:
- I've twice lost progress due to save glitch. I beat the 1st world light/dark and played two levels in the 2nd world but came back the next day to find that I needed to start at square one)...
- Warp zones... Are they random, completely?

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
what in the what what

:lol I have a friend who said the reverse. I tell him that Super Meat Boy is pretty awesome and that it's launching at a discounted price, he tells me, "it might be good but I will never buy a game named Super Meat Boy."

smfh

Nert

The further I get into this game, the better it gets. I still have quite a ways to go, but I'm already starting to compare this game to Super Mario Galaxy 2 in my head in terms of the satisfaction that I get out of it :0

BiggNife

What's the trick for getting the most boost from the fans?

I haven't been able to figure out how to do it reliably and it's pretty much essential for the Dark World levels in World 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
see5harp said:
Why would you use the d-pad when the analog stick works perfectly well?
I don't know if that's the ideal solution, because the analog stick has a dead zone, but I guess it's still better than the dpad.

RedStep

BiggNife said:
What's the trick for getting the most boost from the fans?

I haven't been able to figure out how to do it reliably and it's pretty much essential for the Dark World levels in World 2.

Go in low - either jump in from the side or float up, cut a little to the side, then go back to the middle .

Or use Ogmo/The Kid to double-jump your way to victory.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Phenomenal game. I'm at 23% with about 600 deaths.

Couple things:
- I've twice lost progress due to save glitch. I beat the 1st world light/dark and played two levels in the 2nd world but came back the next day to find that I needed to start at square one)...
- Warp zones... Are they random, completely?
If you don't know already, you can avoid the save glitch by only collecting bandaids once. That is, if you collect a bandaid, die, and then collect it again you will get the save glitch as I understand it. A fix is coming next week apparently.

The warp zones are not random at all. They appear in the same spot every time for a short duration before disappearing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This game has taken a physical toll on me. I think I need to take a day off to recuperate. It's like I'm on a powerlifting program or something.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
World 4 boss: fuck you
World 5 boss: Fuck You
World 6 boss: FUCK YOU

The bosses get worse and worse and is one of the few blemishes on this game. That and not knowing which stages have bandages or warp zones are my only major gripes.

Archie said:

The bosses get worse and worse and is one of the few blemishes on this game. That and not knowing which stages have bandages or warp zones are my only major gripes.
World 6's boss was the worst. First, it takes about 5 seconds before you can begin moving forward in a meaningful way. Second, your progress is constantly constricted -- I hate the levels that do that. I want to go at my own pace. Finally, after you've spent all of your energy getting through it... you have to go back. ughhhhh

World 4's boss was super easy for me. Yeah, it's kinda lame that its patterns are set in stone, but I still got a lot of satisfaction leaping over those hands and avoiding the pounding fists.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Archie said:

That, and the slow restarts for limited-life levels.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I noticed a leaderboard bug. If I open a leaderboard, I see a bunch of my friends who haven't played the game. If I use LT to page up, I can't actually get to any of my friends scores. If I page down and then page up again, the scores appear

elwes

Archie said:

World 5 boss was awful. Most bosses have some kind of pattern or "path" that needs to be taken to beat them. Aside from the first worm, killing the other two always felt incredibly random. Sometimes they would jump, sometimes they wouldn't. Worst part was when I had one worm left and the larvae that erupt out of the ground when it jumps killed me.

World 6... Just... Yeah. Untold amounts of frustration. I had the first 70% of that level down with such precision that I was constantly waiting to progress further. Having to wait for those first few seconds was torture after the billionth time I died.

Tain

I wish this was nothing but the limited lives levels.

I like that kind of pacing way more than the million retries a second that this and N+ use.

-PXG-

Tain said:
I wish this was nothing but the limited lives levels.

I like that kind of pacing way more than the million retries a second that this and N+ use.

Wrong.

It would make the game too frustrating. It's fine as is. They balance out the insane difficulty with an infinite supply of lives. The game punishes you with difficult level design and well placed traps, not with shitty limitations and constraints. Having to start over from the beginning of the chapter or wait through load screens and menus would be irritating. That doesn't sound like it would be fun at all.

Let's not forget the extremely fluid and intuitive controls. It's a very solid and well designed game. If you fuck up, it's your fault, not the game's. Most games are artificially hard, with unfair and grueling measures in place, only to annoy you. Good design rewards the player for being skilled or playing smart. Bad design screws you over, and no matter what you do, you're going to lose. That's ain't fun.

Amir0x

Banned
Super Meat Boy Review

Amir0x said:
What a year for downloadable games! Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is one of my favorite games all gen. Scott Pilgrim is a brilliant love letter to old school beat 'em ups like River City Ransom. The WiiWare's impressive Bit.Trip series has consistently been the only thing that keeps me coming back to the Wii. And now we have Team Meat's SUPER MEAT BOY, yet another game that lovingly cradles its nostalgia for old school gaming the way a mother does her newborn child.

Like another hardcore gamers serenade, Demon's Souls, Super Meat Boy holds back none of its punches for the twitter generation's pussy gaming skill set. Every level is designed for you to die over and over again, and then some more, while you butter your death sandwich with some death mustard and a side of murder soup. Levels are designed simply; you are faced with a series of platforming challenges which impede your progress toward saving bandage girl. Spikes, saw blades, monsters and precarious cliffs hanging over flaming pits are all you have in store for you as you try to get your best times and unlock all the secrets. It's completely unforgiving and it doesn't give a fuck if you cry about it.

But that doesn't mean it's unfair. The game features Meat Boy, who is extremely fast and is designed with just the most amazing, perfectly refined controls that are possible for a platformer. He's not alone, however, and throughout the game you'll unlock other characters with their own unique skillset which can themselves be used to take advantage of each level's unique challenges. Add to that, some of the extra characters are pretty fucking amazing, including a cameo from Bit.Trip Runner and much more. All of them were polished to a fine sheen, blinding in its radiance. Other developer's should take note that all the amazing level design and set pieces in the world won't help you in a platformer if the fundamental foundation is not in place via the controls/character momentum/etc.

Due to the perfect controls, deaths almost always feel like it's your fault, instead of the game's. And that's a crucial distinction in the ability to maintain a high difficulty level without frustrating the gamer. The only exception to this in the game are some of the bosses, which end up requiring an insulting amount of memorization and very little improvisation. If you can get passed these, though, it's a relatively minor complaint out of all the game contains.

There's a huge amount of content as well. I'm not precisely sure what the final count will be ('cause even I haven't beat some of the more shockingly difficult stages), but there are certainly well over 300 stages and there are more to come for free. The developers have integrated a system that allows players to download new levels with no price required on the XBLA. And on PC that was never a problem, so you'll get that naturally.

There are some bugs, including a save bug that happens for some users if they collect the same bandage after they've died in a level. Also, because of the huge amount of levels, some of them are not always winners, and some blend together and could have been cut altogether. In the grand scheme of things, these are pretty understandable complaints for a game that's this fun.

The game is temporarily on sale for 800 MS points (which is $10 bucks) so you'd do yourself a disservice not to take advantage of that. But even if it was 1200 Allards, it'd be worth every fucking penny. It's already worth more than most games I've purchased this year.

Score: THREE AND ONE HALF STARS/****

McLovin

I haven't really given my 360 much love but when I tried the demo I had to get this game. I wasn't gonna put my cc no. in the 360 so I asked a friend how much for 800 points at the store. He laughed at me.. I had no idea you had to buy 1600points - $19.99 wtf is this shit?! I honestly can't believe people put up with that.. I mean is that even legal? I'm gonna wait for the pc version :/

Wessiej

McLovin said:
I haven't really given my 360 much love but when I tried the demo I had to get this game. I wasn't gonna put my cc no. in the 360 so I asked a friend how much for 800 points at the store. He laughed at me.. I had no idea you had to buy 1600points - $19.99 wtf is this shit?! I honestly can't believe people put up with that.. I mean is that even legal? I'm gonna wait for the pc version :/
You can also buy 800 points, so stop bitchin'

Also, there is A LOT of other good games in the 360 marketplace if you can only buy 1600 points.

McLovin said:
Or you can get the 1600 card and spend the remaining 800 Ballmer Bucks on another game along with Super Meat Boy. Like N+.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
McLovin said:
Uh, the same story would apply if you wanted to buy something on the Wii's online service, Mr. Miyamoto Avatar.

Red

Disagree with the perfect controls. They're good, but they're not perfect, and plenty of my deaths seem due to that limitation than any of my own.

It is a good game though. I love the humor, the challenge, and the presentation. But the controls I take issue with (partly due the 360 controller's own design).

I need a better d pad, for fuck's sake.

I see many vocal supporters for the controls, which makes me question if my controller is wrong somehow. The A button doesn't always seem to register and the analog sticks seem too twitchy. Doesn't seem to consistently mirror my input, so I end up dying when I'm sure I did something exactly the same way successfully at an earlier time. I haven't noticed the same problems in other games, but Meat Boy relies on such exact control that it's easier to find them here.

sonicmj1

McLovin said:

Buy N+, Bionic Commando Rearmed, or Geometry Wars 2 to go with your Super Meat Boy purchase.

JRW

Crunched said:
Disagree with the perfect controls. They're good, but they're not perfect, and plenty of my deaths seem due to that limitation than any of my own.

It is a good game though. I love the humor, the challenge, and the presentation. But the controls I take issue with (partly due the 360 controller's own design).

I need a better d pad, for fuck's sake.

I see many vocal supporters for the controls, which makes me question if my controller is wrong somehow. The A button doesn't always seem to register and the analog sticks seem too twitchy. Doesn't seem to consistently mirror my input, so I end up dying when I'm sure I did something exactly the same way successfully at an early time. I haven't noticed the same problems in other games, but Meat Boy relies on such exact control that it's easier to find them here.

Yea this game seems to magnify 360's controller weaknesses, Im willing to bet PC's version will be slightly less frustrating with a PS3 controller connected. (thank you motionjoy)

I'm only on the 4th world but I don't see why people's thumb's hurt. How hard are you pressing the buttons? Maybe I just haven't got far enough.

Helmholtz

McLovin said:
Same story for me. I'm waiting for the PC version because I don't want to pay $15 for 1000 points when I won't be using the remaining 200 any time soon. Stupid, stupid system. I'm still really tempted, though :(

72% through and loving it.

A+'d all of the light world zones + worlds 1 and 2 of the dark. I'm going for all bandages at the moment.

Certainly a goty contender.

Helmholtz said:
Same story for me. I'm waiting for the PC version because I don't want to pay $15 for 1000 points when I won't be using the remaining 200 any time soon. Stupid, stupid system. I'm still really tempted, though :(
Buy a coupla Indie games with the extra, you won't regret it :p

Do warp zone levels count as completed levels on the leaderboards? If so, are they secretly timed as well?

Holy fuck. Just beat the Dark World
Dr. Fetus
level. The Kid levels are seriously tame by comparison. 96% done. Gonna try for 100%.

Downloadable GOTY, easily.

Oli

Just got my Iron Boy achievement! :D

This game is great in little bursts at a time. That's how I've been playing it so far. It's kind of funny that I've derived a bit more pleasure out of this than Kirby, and at 1/5 the price. That's generally my feelings towards downloadable games though, which is why I love em so much!

Top Bottom