• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

RedStep

Baloonatic said:
The problem is it kicking you back to the map I think. If it just sent you back to the first stage when you lost all your lives then that would be better.

I agree with this. I feel the rage rising when I have to select the warp zone and watch the intro for the 40th time.

Shig said:
I'm okay with them, they add a bit of consequence to the second and third levels. They at least serve a purpose, though you may not agree with it.

Where the 3 lives thing makes zero sense is on the minus levels. There's no "fail the second or third stage and you have to start over from the first one again" threat there... It's one level, you're going to be starting from the same start point no matter where you die. Kicking you back to the map screen and making you watch the glitched intro screen every three tries is completely arbitrary and serves no purpose.

The three lives stuff only adds pressure, and pressure is the last thing you'd want in this game. The reason why this game is so good is the pacing, it's so intense, you keep dying and trying again. The lives stuff really hurts this feeling. It's a shame because these bonus levels themselves are actually great.

JRW

Wow this game is addicting but it also made me realise im due for new 360 controllers, they're to worn out for this game lol.

Done speed running the Dark levels of World 1. Finished well within the top 100 of the leaderboards with the majority of 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NILcGXF8_IA

On that note:

10xd3tg.png

Kinda weird how you can run 'through' the saw blade somehow on 1-20X. Almost seems luck dependant, too.

JRW

Is there some trick to find some of the bandages? Does each level have them? Im missing like 14 in the first world lol.

rj118

MicVlaD said:
Kinda weird how you can run 'through' the saw blade somehow on 1-20X. Almost seems luck dependant, too.

That happened to me once! It would have been perfect for a speed run had I not died almost instantly after because of my confusion. :(

Amir0x

Banned
damn i've ranked like 160 on a few of these, but so many of the freaks above me are 0.00. I can't wait to see ranks after they're eliminated from the lists

Shig said:

That blog post is amazing.

This game is amazing.

If I could change anything, it would be to give unlimited lives during warp zones (it is too punishing as it is, and totally unnecessary), make it so that my progress is saved all the time (my workaround is to save a replay after EVERY level I complete... so far that has fixed the issue... I just go into replays when I'm done playing and delete everything), and I would also put a callout on all the stages that have bandaids (that wouldn't make them any easier to obtain, and I would rather know in-game instead of referring to an online cheat sheet which is what everyone will ultimately end up doing anyway, so why not put it in-game).

Other than that, this is perfection... a true gamer's game.

My highest ranking is a Cotton Alley level -- the one where you hurdle over progressively higher saw blades. I'm 35 at the moment. I can't see myself competing in the top 100 consistently, but the leaderboards make this game ridiculously addictive... fuck.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
My highest ranking is a Cotton Alley level -- the one where you hurdle over progressively higher saw blades. I'm 35 at the moment. I can't see myself competing in the top 100 consistently, but the leaderboards make this game ridiculously addictive... fuck.

Speaking of leaderboards, it would be cool to have your closest friend's time on the screen while you are playing, Geometry Wars 2 style.

Urgh, fuck any level with a homing missile, shitty things ruin levels. Fully agree with the lives talk, ruins the flow of the game.

Got to 6-5, even managed the drop section, but I'm done for the night, need something else.

Curently: 44% - 2396 deaths - 84/30 light/dark %

Darkflight said:
Urgh, fuck any level with a homing missile, shitty things ruin levels. Fully agree with the lives talk, ruins the flow of the game.

Got to 6-5, even managed the drop section, but I'm done for the night, need something else.

All of the levels in "The End" make you feel like a ninja. The music and the challenge are both ridiculous in scope. At times, I would forget to jump simply because I was amazed with my own awesomeness. My brain could not comprehend the insane shit my fingers were doing -- "You're jumping from a wall onto that 1 foot ledge 30 feet away and then jumping 10 feet into the air around an obstacle to wall jump from that? what the fuuuuck??" I am now hopelessly addicted.

oh, and my brain cannot deal with either 7-3 or 7-4 right now, I can't remember which. It just isn't happening. Fuck those saws. I'm sure if I watch a youtube of it, it'll reveal itself to be very easy with the problem timing. I lack such timing now.

edit:

we should also have our replays uploaded to xbox live. What makes Forza so great is being able to watch the top players' races and download their car setup. Being able to watch the top players' replays in SMB would be great too.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Beat the first of the Kid's stages, and triumphantly walked across the room. Fucking forgot there were two more stages. bah. lmao

Darkflight said:

I fully agree about the homing missiles, they are extremely annoying. That's one reason I quit playing N+. It's more luck than skill when it comes to those fuckers.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Speaking of leaderboards, it would be cool to have your closest friend's time on the screen while you are playing, Geometry Wars 2 style.
Sounds like that would have been really annoying in this game. Most levels are finished in seconds, there's no time to look at leaderboard scores while constantly running and jumping!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AndyMoogle said:
Sounds like that would have been really annoying in this game. Most levels are finished in seconds, there's no time to look at leaderboard scores while constantly running and jumping!
I agree, the game's too fast paced to pay attention to any hud elements or whatever.

Trials shows a small list of your top friends' times as you highlight each stage in the level select, though. Now that would be nice here.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I was trying to beat times on some levels and it told me i beat a level in 0.02 seconds and the replay showed the level starting then just ending. What the fuck!!? It luckily didnt post or i would be afraid i would get banned or something.

it was 2-10X.

see5harp

I'm at 188 levels beat and really starting to get the hang of it. I love how you can hold turbo in mid air to increase speed. It really gives you ultimate control on speed runs. I have a feeling that when they get rid of the 0 sec times, I'll be ranked decently. Overall, I'm already in the top 500.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
DevelopmentArrested said:
I still can't beat The End. 6-5. the section after you get the key is absurd, how do you jump down while avoiding the spikes grrr
Just gotta freefall in the middle and nudge to the left and right to avoid the saws. Don't try to walljump down.

Hixx

MicVlaD said:
Done speed running the Dark levels of World 1. Finished well within the top 100 of the leaderboards with the majority of 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NILcGXF8_IA

On that note:

http://i52.tinypic.com/10xd3tg.png[/.IMG]

Kinda weird how you can run 'through' the saw blade somehow on 1-20X. Almost seems luck dependant, too.[/QUOTE]

Done that a couple of times on that level then died later on, mainly due to confusion I think :lol

Shig said:
Just gotta freefall in the middle and nudge to the left and right to avoid the saws. Don't try to walljump down.
Really? I wall jumped the first saw (which is relatively easy) and the second one I ever so delicately hopped out of harms way.
7-20 "Four Letter Word"...

FUCK YOU!!!

God damnit. My index finger is killing me.
hahah. I just finished 7 - 13, and I'm already hurting a lot. Oddly enough, I find these really difficult levels the most relaxing. I don't get frustrated because they're so absurdly difficult. They make me laugh. And their extreme difficult forces extreme repetition, resulting in pinpoint muscle memory. Even so, after 3 - 4 of these levels in a row, I tend to go back to the first few worlds and focus on completing the dark world levels I skipped -- I haven't even finished world 3s.

-PXG-

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Really? I wall jumped the first saw (which is relatively easy) and the second one I ever so delicately hopped out of harms way.

hahah. I just finished 7 - 13, and I'm already hurting a lot. Oddly enough, I find these really difficult levels the most relaxing. I don't get frustrated because they're so absurdly difficult. They make me laugh. And their extreme difficult forces extreme repetition, resulting in pinpoint muscle memory. Even so, after 3 - 4 of these levels in a row, I tend to go back to the first few worlds and focus on completing the dark world levels I skipped -- I haven't even finished world 3s.

I can almost do half the level blind folded. I won't be surprised if I had over 100 attempts.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Saerk said:
I don't quite understand what to do on the fans to get the best height. Sometimes I pull it off sometimes I don't.

I think the closer you are to the bottom of the fan and the more you hit jump while in the fan = higher.

Just did 5-19 first try and hit 20th in the world :D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
see5harp said:
If you didn't know, Jill makes getting many of the bandages super easy. Like first try easy.

I still havent unlocked jill. Think i passed up world 2's warps though. Havent got them yet. Same for world 3.

Just thought I'd play this for 10 minutes or so and get through chapter 5 before some Fallout, then I stumbled into the kid's warp zone which I obviously just had to get through for some unknown reason... After well over an hour and a half I thought it best to finish the game off.

Part that really got to me was the fast I couldn't avoid the close spikes when going downwards on level 2 for some reason.

see5harp

OpinionatedCyborg said:
here's a low quality video of my repay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aunQ47l0EAk

the walljumps work, I swear...

notice how incredibly cautious I am in the end. I can probably take a couple seconds off my time by blowing through that section.

I did the same thing. There's a small window where you can safely wall jump as long as you are holding the direction towards the wall. You gotta tap the jump though.

Pydte

Unlocked The Kid this evening - felt sooooo good. =) Died around 600 times, most of them on the first level, which I definitely think is the hardest of them. Given their considerable difficulty, however, they pale in comparison to the levels of IWBTG.
Thank God for that
!

This game is simply amazing. It manages to balance difficulty and skill progression like few other titles. I've never been frustrated with the game, nor felt that it was unfair in any way. From the fluidity of the gameplay to the responsiveness of the controls, Super Meat Boy really is a lecture on good game design.

Bring on the GotY nominations!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the IDEAL way to play Super Meat Boy just as someone stated earlier in this thread. I was curious on how precise and fluid the controls would be and holy fuck shit. Not only will this get rid of my thumb hurting but the amount of precision that you are able to have is beyond that of a Dpad or a Analog stick. If you guys have a stick I highly recommend trying it out.
004-6.jpg

see5harp

InfectedZero said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the IDEAL way to play Super Meat Boy just as someone stated earlier in this thread. I was curious on how precise and fluid the controls would be and holy fuck shit. Not only will this get rid of my thumb hurting but the amount of precision that you are able to have is beyond that of a Dpad or a Analog stick. If you guys have a stick I highly recommend trying it out.
004-6.jpg

No way. The analog is perfect in this game. I suppose tapping left or right will work in most situations though.

Top Bottom