• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Crunched said:
Disagree with the perfect controls. They're good, but they're not perfect, and plenty of my deaths seem due to that limitation than any of my own.

It is a good game though. I love the humor, the challenge, and the presentation. But the controls I take issue with (partly due the 360 controller's own design).

I need a better d pad, for fuck's sake.

I see many vocal supporters for the controls, which makes me question if my controller is wrong somehow. The A button doesn't always seem to register and the analog sticks seem too twitchy. Doesn't seem to consistently mirror my input, so I end up dying when I'm sure I did something exactly the same way successfully at an earlier time. I haven't noticed the same problems in other games, but Meat Boy relies on such exact control that it's easier to find them here.
Analog stick feels spot on for me (but I never liked playing with d-pads anyway). Only issue I have with the controls, is that the jump button tends to be a little unresponsive at times, but that might be a fault of the game itself rather than the controller (or me simply mistiming jumps).

elwes said:
My issue isn't that my fingers have been hurting. I grip the controller so tightly when I play, my hand aches afterwards. :lol
I hold the left trigger constantly, which fucks up my hand. I have tennis elbow in my left arm as well, and this is not doing it any favours either. fuuuuck

I think I'm getting pretty close to the peak of my skills. I'm really struggling through level 3's dark worlds (some come quickly, others take 10 - 15 minutes), and I have just 3 more levels in Cotton Alley to finish. In total, I've beaten 197 levels, I believe. My goal was 200. I'll reach that... but going much further beyond is going to require a lot of effort.

I haven't played teh internets yet. Do those levels count towards your total? I'm not sure where the 307 levels come from if teh internets' levels do not count.

-PXG-

Trying to unlock The Guy. I beat the first level...only took me about 300 attempts. On the second level now. Jesus Christ...

EDIT

Fuck it, decided to quit. It's not worth it.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I hold the left trigger constantly, which fucks up my hand. I have tennis elbow in my left arm as well, and this is not doing it any favours either. fuuuuck

I think I'm getting pretty close to the peak of my skills. I'm really struggling through level 3's dark worlds (some come quickly, others take 10 - 15 minutes), and I have just 3 more levels in Cotton Alley to finish. In total, I've beaten 197 levels, I believe. My goal was 200. I'll reach that... but going much further beyond is going to require a lot of effort.

I haven't played teh internets yet. Do those levels count towards your total? I'm not sure where the 307 levels come from if teh internets' levels do not count.
Protip: hold the right trigger instead. ;) You'll thank me.

elwes said:
My issue isn't that my fingers have been hurting. I grip the controller so tightly when I play, my hand aches afterwards. :lol
I got both, but I tend to clamp my toes (not sure how to say it) when I get frustrated. So after a while my feet also hurt. But yeah, only happened after hours of play and on the last two worlds.

EDIT: Wait, you can use the triggers? I finished the games without them, I just used A and X. Damn it.

Yeah, I use the trigger. Never even tried "x". :lol

Just beat world 4. The boss wasn't as bad as I thought he would be but some of those levels towards the beginning...what a pain. And yeah, I definitely reached the peak of my gaming skill awhile back. I think some levels I die over 200 times. :lol

Morphis said:
Raaaage @ save glitch... All my world 2 progress gone :( This could end up ruining this game for me :(
Edited out, don't want to possibly give incorrect info.

On a random note, apparently I'm now over 8,000 deaths. lol

I´ll try to get used to the triggers now then, my poor thumb.

Also, just save a replay when you exit the game, I believe it helps against the bug, also just watching one works I think. I haven´t had problems with the bug and I always save a replay before I quit.

Psychotext said:
At this point I'd basically ignore any bandages you see. No bandages = No possibility of save bug.

Pretty sure bandages have nothing to do with it. They said on twitter it was to do with replaying levels.

Collecting the same bandage twice is a sign you've got the save bug, not the cause.

I'm telling you guys, SAVE A REPLAY after each level you complete, and that will ensure that the game is saving. After you complete a play session, or the next time you boot the game up, just delete all the replays.

I haven't had a single issue after I started doing this.

Morphis

Psychotext said:
At this point I'd basically ignore any bandages you see. No bandages = No possibility of save bug.

But... but... the bandages... must... get...

Anyway, played some more, now almost up to where I was before my save vanished. It's saved now, gonna try this next time:

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm telling you guys, SAVE A REPLAY after each level you complete, and that will ensure that the game is saving. After you complete a play session, or the next time you boot the game up, just delete all the replays.

I haven't had a single issue after I started doing this.

Edit: didn't read last post. Is there no surefire way to make sure the game saves, apart from not picking up any bandages?

-PXG- said:
Yeah. I think I'll have another beer...

I have found that beer + Super Meat Boy doesn't necessarily make me a better player, but I get less pissed off, so I play for longer periods of time, therefore maximizing my progress.

FerranMG

I'm stuck at the boss of world 6.

The game is absolutely awesome, but bosses suck. Ever since world 4, each boss has been tedious and boring.
I hate them because the break the pace of the game. I want to run and jump at maximum speed my skill allows me, but in boss stages you have to wait for them to do something, or for the screen to scroll... It sucks.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
hmmm I have a stick... it's really good with a stick? Going to try.

Red

I've collected bandages dozens of times after dying. Still haven't run into the save bug.

Much different than my Castle Crashers experience, where all progress vanished virtually every time I booted up the game :lol

Crunched said:
I've collected bandages dozens of times after dying. Still haven't run into the save bug.
Strange. I just tried it again with a new profile and it happened right away. I wonder if there are other factors.

Psychotext said:
Strange. I just tried it again with a new profile and it happened right away. I wonder if there are other factors.

There must be, because I just died a ton of times after collecting a bandage on 2-2, and once I got it, I made sure to save a replay like I've been doing the whole time. I went back to the title screen, even exited the game entirely, and when I went back, my progress was still saved.

whatevermort said:
Is the demo the actual beginning of the game? Because i got ten levels in and find it insanely hard already...

The demo is a mix of levels from throughout the game... note the numbering system, as it skips around and gives you several levels from a few different worlds.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
whatevermort said:
Is the demo the actual beginning of the game? Because i got ten levels in and find it insanely hard already...

There are a few levels that are skipped in the demo, I think (didn't play it much) but yeah, it's the beginning of the game. It might seem hard now but later on, if you go back to the first level, you won't believe how effortless it is to beat.

On a different note, my goddamn cat likes to watch meatboy move on the screen and he keeps hopping up in front of the TV and fuckin me up. Hopefully the humane society is accepting drop-offs right now...

Ok... I just tried it again on another profile and this time it didn't work at all.

Well, either way, I'm not messing around with bandages until it's patched. I was doing the save replay thing and it didn't stop me losing a bunch of progress. Have edited out what I said, I think it'd just add to the confusion. Supposedly the patch is coming next week, so fingers x'ed.

Mimir

I was going to wait for the PC version, but after playing the demo I couldn't resist picking it up yesterday. I beat the Light World last night, and I've completed almost 60 Dark World levels. I should probably start using some alternate characters for some levels, because some of them are getting really difficult as Meat Boy.

I'll probably pick up the PC version as well when it's on sale.

Psychotext said:
Supposedly the patch is coming next week, so fingers x'ed.
The patch'll be finished next week, but then it has to be checked by Microsoft, etc. Could take ages couldn't it?

I hope it's soon though. I can't really play it any more because I'm doing harder and harder levels and losing progress kills.

toythatkills said:
The patch'll be finished next week, but then it has to be checked by Microsoft, etc. Could take ages couldn't it?

It makes me wonder... all those testers that are in the credits, I mean, this bug never came up once? Does a game really never get the "real world" treatment, ever, before it is released into the wild?

seat

Some of you guys use the trigger to run? That seems very counter-intuitive to me for a platformer since I grew up on classic Super Mario controls.

toythatkills said:
Bollocks, didn't think of that.

I guess if I want some bandages I'm quitting out and reloading after to be sure. :lol

seat said:
Some of you guys use the trigger to run? That seems very counter-intuitive to me for a platformer since I grew up on classic Super Mario controls.

Same here, I tried the trigger for a bit and couldn't get my head round it, too used to games like Super Mario Bros. Might give it another go to see if it's more comfortable, the pad pains I get from this game are crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcMV7i4HO8o

This took me a really long time, but I was disturbingly relaxed throughout and I was finally awarded after probably 20 - 30 minutes on the same stage. It's just too bad I couldn't figure out a more clever strategy for dealing with these things -- I feel like I was fighting the game instead of doing what it wanted me to do. Any suggestions for this level?

It's weird how some levels trip you up for a long time, but others do not. The rest of Cotton Alley (besides the last level, which I have yet to attempt) took several minutes in total.

Oh, and I have decided that I hate missiles more than anything else. It's somehow more frustrating to die via explosion... even once you get hang of the timing, I hate the missiles. ugh.

Same here, I tried the trigger for a bit and couldn't get my head round it, too used to games like Super Mario Bros. Might give it another go to see if it's more comfortable, the pad pains I get from this game are crazy.
I was using X as well, but I reached a point in the later worlds where it simply wasn't feasible physically. After a few rounds of dying, I got used to the trigger, and now I play with it held down constantly. As a result, I'm a lot faster than I once was and my jumps are a lot more precise because my thumb has less work to do.

atomsk

Party Pooper
dug out my DOA4 arcade stick from the attic, and it got me past 6-5 and the final boss

fuck world 7 though, jesus

Amir0x

Banned
Crunched said:
Disagree with the perfect controls. They're good, but they're not perfect, and plenty of my deaths seem due to that limitation than any of my own.

It is a good game though. I love the humor, the challenge, and the presentation. But the controls I take issue with (partly due the 360 controller's own design).

I need a better d pad, for fuck's sake.

I see many vocal supporters for the controls, which makes me question if my controller is wrong somehow. The A button doesn't always seem to register and the analog sticks seem too twitchy. Doesn't seem to consistently mirror my input, so I end up dying when I'm sure I did something exactly the same way successfully at an earlier time. I haven't noticed the same problems in other games, but Meat Boy relies on such exact control that it's easier to find them here.

The controls are perfect. Your complaint is that the controller used to service those controls is subpar. That complaint does not apply to me since I have a controller with a modified d-pad.

In any event, analog works perfect too.

-PXG-

whatevermort said:

It's a combination of levels from the first three chapters.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Air Zombie Meat said:
Interesting, I'll definitely give it a shot later then. Also need to try my arcade stick with it.
There needs to be an option to reassign the run button to make it easier for arcade stick users. My Hori 2 puts all the buttons in funky places.

I've seen that A button thing a few times, generally just after landing from a jump. It's almost like he lands then bounces a bit, making it so that the A button doesn't register.

MMaRsu

Amir0x said:
The controls are perfect. Your complaint is that the controller used to service those controls is subpar. That complaint does not apply to me since I have a controller with a modified d-pad.

In any event, analog works perfect too.

Yup analog works perfect indeed :)

Top Bottom