• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Red

Working toward the kid now.

Not as hard as I thought it would be (saying this just from looking at the layout of the stage).

Skipped the chapter 4 character. Didn't see a special warp zone anywhere for it.

This game reminds me a lot of how I progressed through Trials HD. I see a new level/obstacle, try it a few times, try it a few hundred times, think to myself "impossible, this may be as far as I ever get." Then a couple hours later I'm zipping through Inferno 2 (Trials) with only 5 faults after originally thinking I just wouldn't ever be able to finish it. I committed parts of Trials to muscle memory that I used to fail out on after 30 minutes. Same is happening with SMB.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Parallax Scroll said:
Good choice on your avatar.

Imagine if THAT guy was in this game.

I honestly expected him to be, I know Terry and Edmund are good friends.

Charron said:
I honestly expected him to be, I know Terry and Edmund are good friends.
There are a lot of levels where his power just wouldn't work, though. He'd fly out the top of the screen and die, I guess.

Adventures of Lolo is one of those game I never really played much, but it still crossed my mind when I was trying to place that intro.

Hige

So, what levels make up the full 307? I'm at 286 with 11 dark world levels and 1 warp zone to go, and that's not going to get me to 307. I don't know what I'm missing. Here's the level breakdown that I can think of:

125 main levels * 2 = 250
20 warp zones (15 of which are non-character unlock)
7 boss levels
6 glitch levels

Teh Internets DLC levels don't count, they have their own leaderboard. Do warp zones count as 1 or 3 levels beaten? Can anyone check their leaderboard status before and after beating a non-character unlock warp zone? Unless my leaderboard was updating slowly, the glitch levels don't seem to count for total levels beaten, but beating one of them increased my overall progress by 1%. I think these glitch levels allow you to not have to beat every level for the 100% achievement/unlock since I got the achievement with ~17 dark world levels left to go. The unlocks in this game after 70 bandages have been disappointing. :(
The 100 bandage character is too floaty, and the 100% completion character disables leaderboards.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Parallax Scroll said:
There are a lot of levels where his power just wouldn't work, though. He'd fly out the top of the screen and die, I guess.

Adventures of Lolo is one of those game I never really played much, but it still crossed my mind when I was trying to place that intro.

Assuming his power were applied literally. If you didn't have to be on a surface to flip, it would make for some interesting solutions.

Charron said:
Assuming his power were applied literally. If you didn't have to be on a surface to flip, it would make for some interesting solutions.
True. It could work with some creativity. Who knows, if this game ever gets a sequel we might see it.

Red

20 minutes for The Kid stage 1.

Stage 2 is a sonuvabitch

Seriously how in the fuck

Ahhhh that easy first stage fooled me so hard goddamn these platforms. Goddamn

I'm trying to time these movements so I can hit them consistently. But I keep going

1 2 3 4 5.... 6. 12345fuuuuu

I swear I am clearing these platforms but dying anyway. Can't tell because it's all so damn small. Ahhhh... wish these stages were all similar to the first one. Really enjoyed that. Don't like this second one at all. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Fuck.

-PXG-

Holy shit. Dr. Fetus in the Dark World is no joke. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that shit. Maybe another day. Gonna try to get more bandages and maybe finally beat some minus levels.

Red

Alright I am done for the night. I can't for the life of me get the timing down for the second set of elevators. I always die on the fourth or fifth spike on the third elevator. My eyes are starting to hurt and everything is blending together.

The first kid stage is probably my favorite in the game so far. It was tough, but it's exactly the kind of level I enjoy, rewarding forward momentum. This second stage is the opposite. I hate it. I hate it so much. The first stage took between 15 and 20 minutes, and I have been playing the second one for literally over an hour. Fuck it. Fuck it right in the dick. Gah.

I feel like I need a shower.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have the kid! My god that was a horrific but awesome experience! Hour and a half on the first level, 20 mins on the second and 15 on the third. I think my thumb is going to fall off.

Ok just witnessed The Kid levels. Toughest challenge in the history of the 360? Maybe in time I'll change my mind.

I remember thinking that went to Inferno 2 on Trials but this tops it.

BolognaSoup said:
Ok just witnessed The Kid levels. Toughest challenge in the history of the 360? Maybe in time I'll change my mind.

I remember thinking that went to Inferno 2 on Trials but this tops it.
Gonna be honest, The Kids levels tops it for me. And Inferno 2 ripped me a new one.

Absolutely a blast. Loving it. Just a joy to play. Only through the first two worlds, but it seems much more fair and less frustrating than N+, which to my mind is the closest game to SMB (though I haven't played any of the indie PC masocore games referenced in SMB).

I'm seeing plenty of glitches, though. I'll get a bandage and it won't register the icon on the map screen. So I'll go back and get the bandage again and again and each time my percent total increases until I've got 117% or something. Then I quit out, reload and it's all gone. I've read that you can quit to the map after beating each level to try to avoid the glitch but I'm afraid that during the fast pace I'll forgot to do that somewhere along the line and lose more progress. Kind of afraid to keep playing until they release a patch.

BTW, I'm playing with the Madcatz drumpad and it's great.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387333

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
@RadarScope1

Here's what they had to say in their blog:
"Luckily this bug is rare, and can be avoided by simply exiting the game and coming back. So PLEASE, if youre doing some crazy hard levels, just do us a favor and pop in and out of the game from time to time so we can all sleep a bit easier at night :) Deal?

UPDATE: We believe the save bug is caused by replaying the level by pressing Y too quickly on the replay screen. To avoid the bug wait for the replay to finish or exit back to the map."

Just slow down, save a replay, and exit to the map. It takes seconds. Besides, with the title update, they're releasing a new soundtrack and more levels on teh internets!

Mimir

Just unlocked The Kid. That was quite a fun challenge, and I'm glad I've still got plenty of things to do in the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I beat the first glitch level, then I went back and beat it again because it wasn't ninja enough and it wouldn't let me save my replay. :lol

Darklord

Banned
catfish said:
he's not that bad, you can do him in about 30 lives, you just have to memorise the pattern, he doesn't change. I found you could stand in the middle while the burning guys fall down, if you stand dead centre there he misses you with the 4 hand smashes everytime.

you just have to learn the safe spots on the screen when he goes through his motions.

I hated the boss of 5. I couldn't figure out how to make them do the things I wanted. When I figured it out I beat him instantly. shame there isn't a boss replay save (is there?)

I can't get away from the first fist smash sweep he does. I tried standing in the middle and get killed. Is there a really specific spot?

Edit: Wait you can jump that sweep? God damn it wouldn't work before.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
I can't get away from the first fist smash sweep he does. I tried standing in the middle and get killed. Is there a really specific spot?

Edit: Wait you can jump that sweep? God damn it wouldn't work before.

haha yep. you have to jump at the right time, but thankfully when his face changes to look at you, that's roughly the 'right time. jump from the right higher to the left higher bit.

Trumpets

Just beat the 'True' final boss and now I'm not going to play this game anymore.

It's brilliant though, a true assault course of a platformer.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I just unlocked world 6 and have decided on this path to glory

beat all light worlds
beat all dark world levels, skipping any that give me LOADS of trouble, complete warps/bandages as I find them to a reasonable level of frustration, skip anything 'impossible'

then go back and tackle bandages/really tricky dark world levels/warps.

anything missing/hit a wall after this it's guide time.

I don't like standing on the frustrating side of the kids levels..... still didn't beat his first one. Have just started using a stick though, think I like it better.

Red

catfish said:
I don't like standing on the frustrating side of the kids levels..... still didn't beat his first one. Have just started using a stick though, think I like it better.
His first level didn't frustrate me. I wish there were more similar levels. I felt like that was one that was a test of my personal skill. The second kid level is much cheaper, I felt.

jergrah

Finished up Chapter 2 last night and really loving this game! Though I grew up in the early days of gaming and all of the 8-bit crazy platformers, I typically dont like overly hard games. But SMB manages to make dying not too frustrating (at least so far - I know Im still early)....mostly because of how quick the reloads are.

Not sure if Ill have the patience to knock out the Dark Worlds or not, but I certainly plan on at least getting through all of the light worlds.

Though I need to find a new alternate game....I was using Costume Quest to lower my blood pressure after 30 minutes with SMB. But I beat that last night, so need to find my new calm down alternative :lol

Cant wait to attack Chapter 3 tonight!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
finally beat light worlds, now going through and doing dark/bandages. will leave cotton candy and teh internets until after that I think. Still got 100% in my head, unsure if this is realistic though.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I got my portable RB drum kit today. Haven't tried the controller yet but I did want to say it's bigger than it looks in pictures.

Probably not quite as wide as an original NES pad but the size is very similar (buttons, cross pad.)

Are the save bugs fixed in the game yet? What about bandage tracking?

Top Bottom