• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Shig said:
OH MY GOD THERE ARE 18 LEVELS IN CHAPTER 2???? THANK GOD YOU SPOILER TAGGED THAT
Some people don't want to know which levels have bandages. Though in this case you can't really miss it.

I hate it when people spoil stuff for me, even if it seems like nothing to others, so I'd rather not be an asshole about it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Fair enough, I guess. I can't imagine many people enjoy the aspect of guessing which stages have bandages, though, especially when going back for completion. One of the game's sore points for me.

Shig said:
Fair enough, I guess. I can't imagine many people enjoy the aspect of guessing which stages have bandages, though, especially when going back for completion. One of the game's sore points for me.
I can't imagine many people enjoy the plot of Halo because I don't like it, but I still wouldn't spoil it for them.

McLovin

I didn't want to buy those points but I couldn't help myself. Game is bought, now I have 1000 points left over. Any suggestions?

McLovin said:
I didn't want to buy those points but I couldn't help myself. Game is bought, now I have 1000 points left over. Any suggestions?
Aren't you playing Meat Boy?

Worry about spending the rest later. They're not going anywhere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
McLovin said:

No specific suggestions (I liked Costume Quest a lot recently) but remember that if you spend 2400 MS points this month you get 800 points back, so consider just spending another 1600 points and you'll get Meat Boy for free!

Mimir said:
That parts a lot easier than it looks. Once I figured out how to get past the first part of that level without needing to pause anywhere, the rest of the level only took a couple of tries.
There's far worse in other levels too... far worse.

/weeps

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
McLovin said:

similar situation thanks to meatboy I've got points over and have to spend them within this month to get the 'get meat boy free' promotion I now consider it to be.

I'm thinking N+ but I might have played them in the wrong order, I straight up prefer meatboy, so this might feel like going back to a worse game :/

How does pinball fx work? There is pinball fx 2 tables available and it says 'compatible with pinball fx' but there is no pinball fx2 game to buy.... I don't understand.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
catfish said:
How does pinball fx work? There is pinball fx 2 tables available and it says 'compatible with pinball fx' but there is no pinball fx2 game to buy.... I don't understand.

Pinball FX is a pinball game that costs money.

Pinball FX2 is the sequel, which is being released this wednesday, which is free. It's free because you buy pinball tables separately. If you already own Pinball FX, you can import your tables from that game into Pinball FX2 for free.

Rlan

Yup, there will be a free version with no tables, but you can buy a pack of 4 new ones for 800msp (aka the new game). You can import or buy Pinball Fx1 tables from within 2, as well as any of the DLC from the original.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
catfish said:
similar situation thanks to meatboy I've got points over and have to spend them within this month to get the 'get meat boy free' promotion I now consider it to be.

I'm thinking N+ but I might have played them in the wrong order, I straight up prefer meatboy, so this might feel like going back to a worse game :/

FX2 comes out this Wednesday. It works sort of like Hasbro Game Night, you download a free "hub" to house the games, but buy them individually. If you have the first Pinball FX or any of its DLC tables, they can export to FX2's engine with its improved physics.

Far as other XBLA (exclusive) games go, I recommend:

Geometry Wars 2
Trials HD
Pac-man CE
Marble Blast Ultra
'Splosion Man
Monday Night Combat (pretty much multiplayer-only, though)
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
Poker Smash (FYI: not actually a poker game! It's a Panel de Pon/Puzzle League clone.)
Dead Rising 2 Case: Zero
Outrun Online Arcade
Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Ikaruga
Shadow Complex
Rez HD
Galaga Legions
Jetpac Refuelled

Axiom

I've rediscovered Every Extend Extra after those sessions of Super Meat Boy in which it turns my hand into a claw...like just now.

And as for the reason, after beating
The Kid
levels I figured out why I found the first part so much harder than the second and third. You have to be perfectly precise in that first part, which is nothing new, but there's also no rhythm to get into which will get you though. The second and third have that 'beat' that once you practice and get it down, you can see the end in sight because you know your timing. If I went back to it, I'd probably still struggle so much more on the first part than the second or third.

I think this is why I hate the projectile obstacles so much, they're a separate rhythm completely dependent on your own mixed with having an element you have to finesse that isn't the player character and it completely ruins my fun learning the level, and destroys any will on my part to speed run it. It reminds me of the frustration of rubber banding AI when you're running a perfect race.

I had no issues learning to finesse the
flying Phanto-style heads
but the projectiles...man, I may be missing something but I like them as a way to keep you moving on something you'd want to take slow, but they don't work great for that purpose, I've found no pleasure in beating levels that feature them, and lack any desire to return to any of them.

FerranMG

Guys, I need help beating The End boss
dr. Fetus

I get to the end of the level, in which there's a big empty room. Dr. Fetus comes along, but I don't know how to kill him.

Help plz? :/

FerranMG said:
dr. Fetus

I get to the end of the level, in which there's a big empty room. Dr. Fetus comes along, but I don't know how to kill him.

Look at the centre of the ceiling in that room.

I missed it the first few times too.

see5harp

FerranMG said:
dr. Fetus

You don't kill him. Just survive in that box for a while.

Wrekt

Garcia el Gringo said:
Wow, fuck Hell's boss.

Oh, but how I love the torture!
Agreed. I finished the light world last night and the boss of hell was the only level I didn't enjoy. He wasn't hard and he didn't test any of your skills. It was just remembering a pattern and eating unavoidable deaths along the way.

Mike M

Nick N
I fear this game might be too much for me in the end... I cruised through world 1 with relative ease, then went back through the Dark World, which was significantly more difficult. Not impossible, but definitely a couple notches harder.

Then I unlocked the negative zone, and god DAMN am I boned. For the life of me I can't get past the floating spikes...

atomsk

Party Pooper
Mike M said:
I fear this game might be too much for me in the end... I cruised through world 1 with relative ease, then went back through the Dark World, which was significantly more difficult. Not impossible, but definitely a couple notches harder.

Then I unlocked the negative zone, and god DAMN am I boned. For the life of me I can't get past the floating spikes...

I've finished the game and still havent beat any minus worlds

Foob

god damn is the second part of ozmo's unlocking level thing specifically designed to be impossible FUCK

edit: i don't even think that's his name anymore i've been playing this for so long i forgot

-PXG-

I have an A+ on every single Light World level in chapters 1 through 6. I just have four more A pluses to get in Cotton Alley. Oh, and only 13 more Dark World levels to beat, until I unlock the "real" final boss.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone compiled a master list of video game references yet? I've caught quite a few in the cutscenes (and the characters) of course, but I have a feeling there's a lot more I'm missing.

And then I wonder if something very small like the pigeons flying away in The Salt Mine is a reference to Canabalt. :lol It's the first thing I thought of, at least.

Another question - how many total levels are there? Do the new free DLC levels count towards the total?

As for the discussion regarding flaws on the last page - I wouldn't call SMB perfect. The controls are great but not FLAWLESS. There is a tiny bit of weirdness around interacting with ledges and sticking/unsticking to walls. JUMPING off a wall is perfect, but just trying to unstick and fall from one can be a bit unpredictable. Same with trying to run and (accurately) fall off a ledge. I just don't feel like Meatboy is consistent when falling off ledges. It's a small issue, though. It is just magnified because the game is so brutal and requires perfection.

On a more subjective note, I consider the setup of glitch levels/warps/bandages to be a flaw as well. I disagree with the design decision to hide them. Super Meat Boy is in the "frustration platformer" subgenre... it's bread and butter is requiring (extremely) precise and accurate input from the player. This doesn't mix well with exploration. A player should "win" the game and earn all unlockables just by being super super good, in my opinion. Not by exploring. That's why I'm going to use a guide for the warp zones and bandages. You still need to be skilled to get them... so why hide them.

I can see how someone would disagree with this stance. But for me, not knowing when a level is 100%'d is a big bummer.

Mimir

GDJustin said:
Anyone compiled a master list of video game references yet? I've caught quite a few in the cutscenes (and the characters) of course, but I have a feeling there's a lot more I'm missing.

And then I wonder if something very small like the pigeons flying away in The Salt Mine is a reference to Canabalt. :lol It's the first thing I thought of, at least.

Another question - how many total levels are there? Do the new free DLC levels count towards the total?

As for the discussion regarding flaws on the last page - I wouldn't call SMB perfect. The controls are great but not FLAWLESS. There is a tiny bit of weirdness around interacting with ledges and sticking/unsticking to walls. JUMPING off a wall is perfect, but just trying to unstick and fall from one can be a bit unpredictable. Same with trying to run and (accurately) fall off a ledge. I just don't feel like Meatboy is consistent when falling off ledges. It's a small issue, though. It is just magnified because the game is so brutal and requires perfection.

On a more subjective note, I consider the setup of glitch levels/warps/bandages to be a flaw as well. I disagree with the design decision to hide them. Super Meat Boy is in the "frustration platformer" subgenre... it's bread and butter is requiring (extremely) precise and accurate input from the player. This doesn't mix well with exploration. A player should "win" the game and earn all unlockables just by being super super good, in my opinion. Not by exploring. That's why I'm going to use a guide for the warp zones and bandages. You still need to be skilled to get them... so why hide them.

I can see how someone would disagree with this stance. But for me, not knowing when a level is 100%'d is a big bummer.
The Salt Factory definitely has some references to Canabalt. This was confirmed on Twitter today by Team Meat and Adam Atomic.

The top people on the leaderboards have beaten 307 levels, so I'm guessing that's the current total. I think Teh Internet updates count towards that total.

And I agree with all of your complaints, though none of them are big issues for me. I think the .2 seconds it takes to unstick from a wall is way too long, but it's not a huge issue once you become accustomed to it. Dropping off of platforms is also a bit odd, but I don't think I've ever died because of it, just lost some time.

I don't mind warp zones being hidden in a level, but I think warp zones and bandages should be marked on the map. That's my biggest complaint with the game so far.

GDJustin said:

There are 307 levels at the moment.

I don't think teh internets counts -- I did 3 of those and my leaderboard ranking did not change (however, there is a separate leader board for teh internets).

I think falling off walls if fairly predictable. The higher on the wall you are/the faster you're moving when you leap on the wall influence the way you fall/how much control you have of the fall. It's fairly precise.

I like that the minus world depends on randomness because the surprise in discovering one aligns really well with old school serendipitous moments. I agree that bandages should be listed in the world map, but I'm OK with warp zones remaining hidden as I think they add to the old school mystique of the game... if that makes any sense. But your criticisms are definitely logical.

oh, and as for your older post in this thread: my initial goal was simply to beat the game. I skipped all dark worlds, didn't play teh internets, didn't collect many bandages, etc. Now I'm working my way through Cotton Alley and all the dark worlds I previously skipped. And I'm collecting bandages. And my new goal is to beat 250 levels. So yeah... you are better than you think you are, and you will play more of the levels than you can possibly imagine now.

btw. beat 7-20 on my first try today after plugging away at it for hours last night :D.

GDJustin

Mimir said:
I don't mind warp zones being hidden in a level, but I think warp zones and bandages should be marked on the map. That's my biggest complaint with the game so far.

Yeah. I should have been more clear. I'm OK with bandages and warp zones being hidden inside levels. The problem is not knowing what level they are in. That's the flaw. It's a drag not knowing when a stage is 100% complete.

The game could even compromise. Not tell players what levels have bandages or warp zones, but give some indication (like a little crown?) when everything in a stage is done. But it doesn't. So without a guide, bandage/WZ hunting would be a massive pain.

catfish said:

N+'s great, can't go wrong with that one if you're in the mood for another platformer. Also has a leaderboards replays, a map editor as well as a few multiplayer modes (though admittedly the netcode isn't stellar). Think the devs also added around 500 extra levels through DLC, but I can't remember if those were free.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
Ok, how the FUCK do you beat the World 4 boss? There's just no way I...argh-ARGHGFHFDGHTG.

he's not that bad, you can do him in about 30 lives, you just have to memorise the pattern, he doesn't change. I found you could stand in the middle while the burning guys fall down, if you stand dead centre there he misses you with the 4 hand smashes everytime.

you just have to learn the safe spots on the screen when he goes through his motions.

I hated the boss of 5. I couldn't figure out how to make them do the things I wanted. When I figured it out I beat him instantly. shame there isn't a boss replay save (is there?)

Atomski

Having a hell of a time with the last level before the final boss. >_<. I get so close and always screw up. The part after the key is the worst I can never time it right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Axiom said:
And as for the reason, after beating
The Kid
levels I figured out why I found the first part so much harder than the second and third. You have to be perfectly precise in that first part, which is nothing new, but there's also no rhythm to get into which will get you though. The second and third have that 'beat' that once you practice and get it down, you can see the end in sight because you know your timing. If I went back to it, I'd probably still struggle so much more on the first part than the second or third.

I got through both the second and third stages by counting out beats in my head, so I am very inclined to agree wi you on is.

Mike M

Nick N
So I just tried out the original Flash game, and um... It's really not good, the wall jumping controls in particular are pretty terrible compared to SMB...

GDJustin

SapientWolf said:
Technically, they're space worlds, which makes the name of Nintendo's conference make a lot more sense.

Wait wait wait. WHAT?? Mind BLOWN for the first time on NeoGAF in... I don't even know how long.

Someone bump the mindblowing video games thread STAT.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GDJustin said:
Wait wait wait. WHAT?? Mind BLOWN for the first time on NeoGAF in... I don't even know how long.

Someone bump the mindblowing video games thread STAT.
That's the thread where I got the info from.

see5harp

Metalic Sand said:
Damn, didnt think of that :lol

It's not like Braid where only green objects stay put when rewinding. So basically you jump down to grab a key or bandage, hold rewind and your guy basically goes back to the point you jumped off the ledge. This even works for moving platforms. So you can jump off, then rewind, and as long as you hold rewind, he'll just float in that spot until the platform is back underneath you. There was a random level I got a bandage this way.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Tim is freaking amazing. The best part about him isn't rewinding, it's his invulnerability. The rewind ability only takes you as far back as when you ended your last rewind. So if you double tap X, you'll simply float in place, invincible for as long as you want. Makes a lot of the levels with missiles and shit really easy, and if you don't care about A+ you can cheese most of the levels with a hazard that follow you - just let it go past.

Top Bottom