• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I know it's been repeated dozens of times, but I keep seeing Mixed reports. This counts towards the spend 2400 get 800?

Glix

In a fair world, this game retails for at least 40 bucks. I wish these guys all the success in the world.

For a game this hard, its amazing how easily it can get lapsed gamers into very quickly, I've seen this with a few of my buddies already. I guess its like Edmund (is that the guys name) said...

It really captures the feeling of Super Mario Bros, of just holding down run, and making fuck-all awesome jumps.

I'm stuck on Omega right now, but I also have a bunch of bandages and dark stages done, I'm feeling very good about my progress.

Anyone else set "rules" for themselves? I won't beat a level with a secret character. I'll par time, and use them to get bandages, but never for the initial clear. Anyone else do this?

Took me a while, but finally done speed running World 2, both Light and Dark. I blame the fan stages. As per usual, aimed for a time in the top 100 at the very least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4krR9Sn2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mMWzhlHeU

That said:

25al1c3.png

Top 10 spot 'robbed' by those bugged-out 0.00 times. And I've seen levels where there are even more of 'em in the leaderboards. Hope the patch gets out soon. :[

Ben2749 said:
Do you have to A+ all the Dark World levels to get 100%? I know you do for the Light World, obviously, as that's how you unlock the Dark World levels.

Quoting for new page, as I really want to know this.

Zachack

Ben2749 said:
Do you have to A+ all the Dark World levels to get 100%? I know you do for the Light World, obviously, as that's how you unlock the Dark World levels.
I don't know because I've A+ all levels in World 1, plus done a few warp zones and have some bandages, and my percentage is like 107% right now.

Nabs

shintoki said:
I know it's been repeated dozens of times, but I keep seeing Mixed reports. This counts towards the spend 2400 get 800?
Yes. The 800pt deal is not coming from Microsoft, it's by Team Meat.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
You do not need to A+ Dark World stages to get 100%. I have 100% in world 1 without getting A+ on all the dark stages.

Glix said:
Sorry. RichGlix. This is turning into a pain for you, so sorry! I was really high up, if you removed the glitched 0.0 times.

You're now #211 with 2.90 seconds, but there are 109 times of 0.0 seconds, so you're actually #102.

EDIT: And now you're ranked at #212, as I just matched your time, which makes me #211. I'm an asshole like that.

EDIT 2: #125 now (actually #16).

EDIT 3: #120 (#11)...

Haha, in all fairness, you did use Meatboy, and I used other characters with good abilities.

EDIT 4: #113 now. That's actually #4! There's only 0.06 seconds between me and the person in first. Man, I'm going for #1!

EDIT 5: #1 BABY! 2.05 seconds! #2 is miles behind with 2.28 seconds!

My GT is BENJO KAZ00IE, if you want to check/marvel at my awesomeness.

Unfortunately, I forgot to save a replay. So now I'm going to keep trying until I can top/match that time.

EDIT 6: Topped it (and saved a replay) with 1.92 seconds. However, I'm curious as to if that's my actual time, as the replay timer showed 2.02 seconds, yet the leaderboard shows 1.92 seconds. I wonder which is correct, and if everybody recieves the same discrepancy? If not, that kind of breaks the whole point of time trials.

nli10

Ben2749 said:
EDIT 6: Topped it (and saved a replay) with 1.92 seconds. However, I'm curious as to if that's my actual time, as the replay timer showed 2.02 seconds, yet the leaderboard shows 1.92 seconds. I wonder which is correct, and if everybody recieves the same discrepancy? If not, that kind of breaks the whole point of time trials.

GRATS!!

And yeah - I noticed a discrepancy, but I put that down to the replay time being funny sometimes.

My best level (a W2 dark one) has over 300 0.0 times on it, but my time is in the top 150 so I'm all happy considering I bought the game about 4 hours ago.

And I am assured that you DON"T have to 100% A+ the Dark World for 100%, just beat them.

Ben2749 said:
Yes, there is. Noticed it a lot when I checked the replays and leaderboards back to back. Reckon it's just the instant replay time that's inaccurate though, as it already suffers from several bugs.

nli10 said:
And I am assured that you DON"T have to 100% A+ the Dark World for 100%, just beat them.

Awesome, I'm going to try for all A+ ranks, but it's good to know I can still get the full 200 gamerpoints and can still claim I got 100% if I'm unable to.

Is anybody else loving Tim? His ability is so useful in a lot of levels. He can remain stationary and invulnerable, which is great for avoiding hazards/waiting something out. He can cancel all momentum, which helps you judge jumps/drops better and change your path. And of course he can make wild leaps for key/bandages, and then just rewind.

I always use Meat Boy when starting a new level, and beat it with him when I can (which is about 90% of the time), but when I'm struggling, I find that Tim is often the character who helps out the most. The Kid comes a close second though.

Stuneseht

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D
I have unlocked The Kid:D :D After 3 hours of nonstop trying; my hands are killing me:lol
It is doable like everyone posted; but be ready to set some time aside so that you can focus.
The Lord only knows how many times i wanted to give up. The thought of having to beat a stage again was enough motivation for me to move foward:lol

Stuneseht said:
I have unlocked The Kid:D :D After 3 hours of nonstop trying; my hands are killing me:lol
It is doable like everyone posted; but be ready to set some time aside so that you can focus.
The Lord only knows how many times i wanted to give up. The thought of having to beat a stage again was enough motivation for me to move foward:lol

I'm glad you unlock an achievement with him, as it's one of my proudest and most satisfying of any game.

JEKKI

aw man I played again for my first time since the weekend...

beat chapter 3 easily... but then started the Dark stages... dang...

beat the 1st three so far...

Ugh, this last boss is ridiculous. Since I've been playing on a friends 360 I haven't been going for 100%, side characters, bandages, etc... but I may call it a day with this guy. The pausing is just killing me when I just want to run. I'm sure it's been mentioned but the pausing after a game of running full speed is stupid.

sonicmj1

After two hours of effort, I finally beat the last boss of the dark world and got the True Ending. Hell yes.

I am not sure if I will ever touch this game again, but it was well worth the money and time spent.

Turnstyle

Did anyone else fudge their way through the boss for
level 5
?

After a few failed attempts, I decided to jump through the gap in the cogs, and just stand on the edge of the platform. The worms (or whatever) just head straight for the cogs and kill themselves. Only thing to look out for is the projectiles, but they're easily avoided.

JEKKI

whoo! finished all the dark stages in ch.3.

everything A+ up to this point too!!

played the first 3 stages in ch.4 and got damn theyre easy compared to 3X stages X_X

now I can take another break from this game for a few days =P

Turnstyle said:
Did anyone else fudge their way through the boss for
level 5
?

After a few failed attempts, I decided to jump through the gap in the cogs, and just stand on the edge of the platform. The worms (or whatever) just head straight for the cogs and kill themselves. Only thing to look out for is the projectiles, but they're easily avoided.

I did that too. It turns what would be a really difficult boss fight into a laughably easy one.

Turnstyle

On entering a new level, I am always convinced there will be a cheeky shortcut somewhere, and fling myself around the outer walls looking for it.

I am always wrong. :eek:(

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Turnstyle said:
On entering a new level, I am always convinced there will be a cheeky shortcut somewhere, and fling myself around the outer walls looking for it.

I always did that aswell. It pays off! At least in one or two levels.

Davey Cakes

I bought this the other day, upon getting a new X360 (where my old one died a few months ago).

As a fan of games like Jumper, I've really been enjoying Super Meat Boy. I'm only a little bit into the second world, but I have the first world 99% complete (still trying to find that last ever-evasive bandage). As expected, the gameplay is addictive, and even when I find myself dying a lot (world -1, looking at you), I just can't stop. Also, the retro sections are really a great way to mix up the aesthetic of the game, and I even find myself enjoying the 8-bit tunes more than the regular ones. Though, the music in general is pretty good.

Glad I got a hold of this game before it went up to 1200 points. I feel like I'm going to get some great value out of it.

AniHawk said:
So anyway, this game is way more than I thought it would be. It's like 'Splosion Man except good.
I played the demo of 'Splosion Man and said "meh." I played the demo of SMB for a few minutes and then said "fuck it, I'm buying this."

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stuneseht said:
I beat the first two levels and the last one just broke me. It was 2:30A.M. and I couldn't physically hit the jump button fast enough to complete the level. I guess I'll just do it all over again.

Stuneseht

SapientWolf said:
I beat the first two levels and the last one just broke me. It was 2:30A.M. and I couldn't physically hit the jump button fast enough to complete the level. I guess I'll just do it all over again.
Man that sucks. The last stage almost broke me too.You've probably built alot of muscle memory by now:lol
If I were you, I would have just paused the game and returned to it later. Though you may have taken the smarter route; becuase my thumbs are in pain from pressing the A button so much:lol
It should be much easier the second time around.

Stuneseht

Garryk said:
Is this game more or less frustrating than Trials HD? I beat all of the extreme tracks but it wasn't pretty.
I would say that there about equal in terms of difficulty. I would give Trails HD a slight advantage due to it's physics based game play; but SMB isn't a slouch either.
This game should be a part of you collection if you enjoyed Trails HD.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Turnstyle said:

I can't remember the level (I made a mental note and then promptly forgot said mental note), but there is a level in the latter half of the game where you can run along the roof, off-screen Super Mario Bros. style, and not die. Allows you to skip a bit.

There's also a dark salt mine level where you're climbing a structure, and you can get outside of it to climb instead of inside, making it a good bit easier.

Veal

I don't know if this question has been asked, but is this still coming out for Wiiware? I remember it being announced for it, but I haven't seen any info for that version. It'd be a shame if it doesn't make it...

Nabs

Veal said:
I don't know if this question has been asked, but is this still coming out for Wiiware? I remember it being announced for it, but I haven't seen any info for that version. It'd be a shame if it doesn't make it...
Yes, it's coming for PC/Mac (Steamplay) and WiiWare.

Amir0x

Banned
FUCK YOU GLITCH LEVELS I BEAT YOUR ASS FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

this game has some incredible level design. They're best illustrated in the simple way the game turns levels on its head: the way a level is beat when you're going one direction, and the way it's conquered when it's flipped the other way in the dark world. It's constantly amazing because there's some insane symmetry, where either direction compliments the other with its own unique strategies. (example: that level with the fans where in light world you going downward to beat the level, but in dark you're going upward... and all the challenges are rewound with fierce precision).

Really, this game is sickeningly good.

Anihawk said:
So anyway, this game is way more than I thought it would be. It's like 'Splosion Man except good.

imo it may just be the best 2D platformer in nearly a decade.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I play in short bursts and I kinda suck so I'm taking my time with this game, but I got a few levels into The Factory and I just found my first warp zone (holy shit).

this game is the real deal, the platforming is perfect in pretty much every way

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Let's not go nuts.

But it is very close.

Okay, I guess it's not that crazy.

Also: a decade? What 2D platformer from 1999-2001 are you comparing this to? Klonoa 2? Shantae? Wario Land 4?

Anyway, I think this should have had a retail release.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ben2749 said:
I did that too. It turns what would be a really difficult boss fight into a laughably easy one.
wish I knew this. I spent so many lives on it, then when I did beat it, I did it as they ruptured the surface 3 times in a row. Without this trick it must have been a massive speed run contender.

I figured that if I ran left and jumped as they were emerging, they jumped into the cogs every time. 3 perfectly timed runs/jumps towards cogs = fight over

It's easily my favourite if the title doesn't contain the word 'mario'

the thing I love about mario is how awesome the control feels, this game completely nails it as well. Meatboy has good weight, stopping power and weaknesses you can counter, it's brilliant.

Top Bottom