• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

cjelly said:
Do the glitch levels count towards chapter complete %?

I believe so.
And I agree on the Arcade stick button placement being a bit odd, my run button is directly above jump or two buttons over to the right. Its quite awkward at first.

They made an update concerning the save but on their site. I didn't see anyone post it yet.
"UPDATE: We believe the save bug is caused by replaying the level by pressing Y too quickly on the replay screen. To avoid the bug wait for the replay to finish or exit back to the map. "

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm not ashamed to admit it - This game is too hard for me :(

And I don't mean "Oh man this is so hard it's great!" Instead, it's more "FUCK THIS GAME" hard.

Mainly the dark world, though. Light world is fine and the right level of challenge for me. So I'm probably just going to ignore the dark world. :lol

Absolutely loving this game.

And to much joy I unlocked Teh Internets tonight. I had no clue about it and when it happened there was just a grin from ear to ear on my face. I'm glad I hadn't been looking at the the thread over the last few days.

Still only in Chapter 4, been switching between this and Costume Quest (going to CQ when I want to throw my controller against the wall in Meat Boy). Wrapped up Costume Quest so I'm hoping to make some more progression in the game this week.

Can't recommend this game enough.

-PXG-

JacksUsername said:
Absolutely loving this game.

And to much joy I unlocked Teh Internets tonight. I had no clue about it and when it happened there was just a grin from ear to ear on my face. I'm glad I hadn't been looking at the the thread over the last few days.

Still only in Chapter 4, been switching between this and Costume Quest (going to CQ when I want to throw my controller against the wall in Meat Boy). Wrapped up Costume Quest so I'm hoping to make some more progression in the game this week.

Can't recommend this game enough.

I love how they put Trollface in it :lol

Red

How do teh internets levels rank in comparison to the rest of the game? I'm only on chapter 3 in the main game, but I finished teh internets and didn't find it too difficult. Only the very last stage gave me trouble (and even then, it's my favorite in the game so far).

Red

Amir0x said:
The controls are perfect. Your complaint is that the controller used to service those controls is subpar. That complaint does not apply to me since I have a controller with a modified d-pad.

In any event, analog works perfect too.
I still disagree. D pad is only part of the problem. Unresponsive jumps are another. Analog controls are okay, but I prefer the control in N+. That's a game whose controls I'd consider perfect. Meat Boy is too twitch-heavy for me to place it on the same level. That may be preference, and I said earlier I'm really looking forward to the Razer Onza so I can adjust stick sensitivity for this game. My controller is too loose at the moment for me to jump accurately.

As a comparison, consider how crisp and precise slight movements are in VVVVVV using a keyboard. That's a step above Meat Boy, which is held back by the 360's controller. N+ is a little less quick to accelerate or a little slower at top speed than Meat Boy is; I'm not sure what the exact difference is but there is a divide in controls between the two games, and N+ comes out on top for me because it seems to compensate for worn thumbsticks. It's easier to maneuver at top speed and while falling.

Honestly it's the unresponsive jumping problems that get to me more because fuck you meat boy I know I hit A graaahghgghhh

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
If anyone needs someone to compare with add me, Im top 100 in alot of the levels. still speed running world 3+ atm. Havent speed runned 3 Dark or 4 and above yet.

Just unlocked
Ogmo and 8 bit meat boy. So awesome

7-20 has me temporarily beaten. My vision was starting to go and I feel like going to sleep. I'm exhausted. Even at full speed, it's about 25 seconds to the section I have problems with. Thank god I bought a truckload of Mountain Dew: Code Red back when it was taken off store shelves. One sip of that putrid elixir, and I'll be good as new.

In more positive news, I gave 7-15x "Patience" an attempt after hearing how hard it was... and I beat it in a couple minutes. It's so simple!

Here's the video if any of your are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4FJBo_FXRo

Using this strategy will make it a pretty easy level... notice how I died like 3 times right near the end.... urgh.

see5harp

Damn 4-6 darkworld first obstacle had be stuck...finally got through and beat the second one on the first try. This game is boss.

Garcia el Gringo said:
Wow, fuck Hell's boss.

Oh, but how I love the torture!
I don't get all the hate for him. Took me around 8-10 tries to beat him. Not that he's a great boss or anything, but he's definitely not hard.

Mimir

Crunched said:
I still disagree. D pad is only part of the problem. Unresponsive jumps are another. Analog controls are okay, but I prefer the control in N+. That's a game whose controls I'd consider perfect. Meat Boy is too twitch-heavy for me to place it on the same level. That may be preference, and I said earlier I'm really looking forward to the Razer Onza so I can adjust stick sensitivity for this game. My controller is too loose at the moment for me to jump accurately.

As a comparison, consider how crisp and precise slight movements are in VVVVVV using a keyboard. That's a step above Meat Boy, which is held back by the 360's controller. N+ is a little less quick to accelerate or a little slower at top speed than Meat Boy is; I'm not sure what the exact difference is but there is a divide in controls between the two games, and N+ comes out on top for me because it seems to compensate for worn thumbsticks. It's easier to maneuver at top speed and while falling.

Honestly it's the unresponsive jumping problems that get to me more because fuck you meat boy I know I hit A graaahghgghhh
I had a very different experience. When I die in SMB, I know it's because I screwed up. The controls feel spot on, with either the 360 analog stick, or an arcade stick. However, after playing a bit of SMB, I decided to take a break and play some more N+ and found it nearly unplayable. While I prefer the wall hugging of N+, I found the jumping completely unresponsive. I had to quit pretty quickly because I was getting utterly frustrated with the controls, which never happened for me in SMB.

I'll agree that the controls in VVVVVV were quite good. It did take me some time to get used to how much you slide after you stop pressing a direction, but after that hurdle it was easy.

Saying "when I die it's 100% my fault" is such nonsense. The game isn't flawless, or even close. There have been many times where I clearly did not touch whatever killed me, and other times you can go straight through a saw blade. The hit detection is very inconsistent.

I love the game, but I'm not going to say that it's anywhere near perfection.

Mimir

I can't say I've ever been killed by something that clearly didn't touch me, though there have been times when I've survived things that should have killed me. The game isn't perfect, but it's one of the best platformers I've played.

Amir0x

Banned
Crunched said:

man i guess the disagreement is i haven't had one single jump not respond exactly as I wanted the millisecond I wanted, and I'm a pretty substantial amount of levels in :lol

Can only go by what problems I've had. I feel like Meat Boy has the controls of a God and I am not worthy

Mimir said:
I can't say I've ever been killed by something that clearly didn't touch me, though there have been times when I've survived things that should have killed me. The game isn't perfect, but it's one of the best platformers I've played.
The hit boxes on spikes are obviously squares. You don't have touch the actual spike to get killed.

see5harp

AndyMoogle said:
Saying "when I die it's 100% my fault" is such nonsense. The game isn't flawless, or even close. There have been many times where I clearly did not touch whatever killed me, and other times you can go straight through a saw blade. The hit detection is very inconsistent.

I will say that I end up cursing a lot when playing SMB, but hit detection is not an issue at all.

I've died a few times when I was near lava but never touched it. Think I have some footage of it in one of my videos but I'd have to browse around for awhile. Also my little meat boy hasn't always jumped when I pressed A if I started out running but that could just be a game mechanic to prevent rushing or something. I like the controls but a little better would be, well, better.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
AndyMoogle said:

Yea the hit detection is broken is some levels. I actually managed to jump off a moving saw blade as well(Major wtf moment)

It really varies by level on the hit detection. Some things just werent checked well enough but its still solid.

Edit: Nvm it mite have been jill. bleh

One saw away from beating 7-20. Choked. This can't be life.

I cannot time those little jumps. Ugh. I have the rest of the level completely mastered, but FUCK. Where have my powers gone??

Red

AndyMoogle said:
The hit boxes on spikes are obviously squares. You don't have touch the actual spike to get killed.
There are instances when you're like between > < and >< to objects and you die, and others when you skim right through their edges with no consequence.
Amir0x said:
man i guess the disagreement is i haven't had one single jump not respond exactly as I wanted the millisecond I wanted, and I'm a pretty substantial amount of levels in

Can only go by what problems I've had. I feel like Meat Boy has the controls of a God and I am not worthy
Haha, fair enough :lol

It's not that the control issues destroy the game for me, but when they crop up it's an agonizing experience, like a dick shearing right before climax.

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the game, because I'm really really enjoying it. Already convinced two friends to pick it up and watching them play is nearly as fun as playing myself. Never heard such tirades from these guys before :lol

I simply want to like it more, and I can't because of unjustified frustrations. But then, things like this pop up in virtually every game. They're just niggles in an otherwise focused experience. I think an apt comparison is to the challenge rooms in Arkham Asylum: a totally different game, but with a similar "muscle-memory" emphasis on the really extreme side. Both have very refined controls, but wind up causing frustrations in isolated incidents where, in the case of Meat Boy, a jump won't occur when A is pressed, or in Arkham Asylum, Batman lunges at the wrong opponent or attempts to punch and whiffs the attack. Both games are incredible, and I enjoyed both, but fuck if I didn't want to murder someone when I felt I was being robbed of my efforts.

Beat the killscreen levels in worlds 1 and 2. 2's was bitch, especially when you go through the whole thing perfectly and die riiiiiight at the end.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Amir0x said:
man i guess the disagreement is i haven't had one single jump not respond exactly as I wanted the millisecond I wanted, and I'm a pretty substantial amount of levels in :lol

I've found that you can't jump from certain small ledges (the game just ignores the input) but other than that quirk the controls are pretty great. I've played some janky platformers before and SMB is definitely not one of them.

I like how some of the levels have a light puzzle element to it. That really adds some depth to the proceedings.

see5harp

Absoludacrous said:
Beat the killscreen levels in worlds 1 and 2. 2's was bitch, especially when you go through the whole thing perfectly and die riiiiiight at the end.

The craziest thing is playing through a level on Chapter 6, knowing that if you can somehow get through without dying, you will unlock the glitched level. That's when I completely freeze up and cannot seem to make the easiest jumps.

Hige

see5harp said:
The craziest thing is playing through a level on Chapter 6, knowing that if you can somehow get through without dying, you will unlock the glitched level. That's when I completely freeze up and cannot seem to make the easiest jumps.
Funny thing is that the Chapter 6 killscreen level is one of the easiest too. :lol

mj1108

see5harp said:
Last level of the end. Dark level. Fuck you. http://twitpic.com/30o8lq
:lol :lol I don't know why but that's morbidly funny.

I did download the demo but haven't bought it yet. I swear this is the kind of game you buy someone if you truly hate them. :lol Yet....I'm....hooked... Will definitely buy the whole enchilada.

see5harp

Hige said:
Funny thing is that the Chapter 6 killscreen level is one of the easiest too. :lol

The cool thing is that after getting through the bulk of the dark levels, I go back to any level and I can almost guarantee I'll beat it on the first or second try. Those dark levels though...jesus.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm foolishly convincing myself currently that when I change to a stick this evening, I'm going to be able to complete the kid levels :lol

tetrisgrammaton said:
i'm getting really sick of reading this is one of the best platformers ever
Stop reading about it then. It can't be that hard to avoid.

I mean, coming in to this thread was a bad idea for a start, whatareyalike?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
tetrisgrammaton said:
Please continue. Because a lot of us whom have been gaming for a long time think very highly of this game. And there's a reason for it.

Hige

tetrisgrammaton said:
Yeah I don't know what all these people are going on about. This game is terrible...
TERRIBLY ADDICTIVE!

soothe.

Amir0x said:
fuck these glitch levels FUCK THEM

so, do we know how you actually get the glitch levels? i mean, i know you get them by getting to bandage girl when she's all glitchy, but is there a pattern when she's glitchy or is it totally random?

OMG Aero

soothe. said:
so, do we know how you actually get the glitch levels? i mean, i know you get them by getting to bandage girl when she's all glitchy, but is there a pattern when she's glitchy or is it totally random?
Seems to be random, I was testing it out before by picking a level and just running into the first saw and then doing it over and over when I respawned. Rarely she would glitch out, so it seems like on each life she has a small chance to glitch out.

Hige

soothe. said:
It's random but you'll get them while you're going about your business just clearing levels or going for bandages. I only had to go back and brute force maybe 2 glitch levels that I hadn't gotten through normal gameplay. You just have to find an easy level where bandage girl is visible on screen and keep dying until the glitched bandage girl appears.

Insured

As a Wii/PC owner, reading all these raving reviews (and this thread), the wait is pretty much torture :lol I don't think I've been ever so hyped up for a game before!

Been playing Meat Boy to easen the wait, and just got done collecting all bandages in the flash game... That was "something special" indeed. Uh.

Top Bottom