• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Scarecrow

beat the light world today. The music in this game is incredible. Is it available anywhere?
also, what are the last two secret achievements? unlockable characters I presume.

Great. I was doing The Kid's second level, when something finished downloading (360). I got booted back to the main menu, and also lost ALL progress I made in Rapture. It took me about half an hour just to clear The Kid's first damn level.

At least let it be a lesson to the rest of you; don't play Super Meat Boy on the 360 while downloading stuff in the background.

The Friendly Monster said:
Got the Kid, took me fucking aaages. Still can't do 7-20. Had a look at a couple of the later dark stages, fuuuck that!
The dark version of 7-20 is in reverse -- it starts with those tricky jumps in the tiny corridor. You could use it to practice. I was able to breeze through the first 3/4 of that level... those little jumps killed me.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
The dark version of 7-20 is in reverse -- it starts with those tricky jumps in the tiny corridor. You could use it to practice. I was able to breeze through the first 3/4 of that level... those little jumps killed me.
Yeah likewise, it feels unfair that the more difficult stuff is at the end of the level.

Surely you can't try on the dark stage without having A+ the light stage though can you?

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Ben2749 said:
Great. I was doing The Kid's second level, when something finished downloading (360). I got booted back to the main menu, and also lost ALL progress I made in Rapture. It took me about half an hour just to clear The Kid's first damn level.

At least let it be a lesson to the rest of you; don't play Super Meat Boy on the 360 while downloading stuff in the background.

Shit that happened to me when I was downloading a demo. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't lose anything significant like you did though, sorry man :(

That being said, I really LOVE this game. So addicting. Reminds me a lot of Trials HD in some ways.

The Friendly Monster said:
Yeah likewise, it feels unfair that the more difficult stuff is at the end of the level.

Surely you can't try on the dark stage without having A+ the light stage though can you?
well fuck. It seemed like a good idea when I wrote it.

I probably played that level for an hour or two before giving up. Then I beat it the following day on my first attempt.

Kamillio

Neo Member
Yes, finally got The Kid. Took an hour and a half and my left hand hurts so bad. :lol

Also beat the Skyscraper warp zone and got the bandages. Overall it took about three hours to clear 6 levels :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cracked the top 300 (#299). I'm in the top ten in a few of the W7 Dark World levels :lol I don't think due to the fact that I'm particularly good, more due to the fact that only ten people have finished those levels at all.

"91%" completion.

The only thing that's bugging me is that I'm never going to get par time on W7-20, so I'll never unlock W7-20X, which I assume means I can't get 100% :/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Light World complete.

155/307 total levels complete. I'm near my personal limit. I haven't really set a stretch goal for myself... I probably should, or else I won't have much reason to keep playing. 307/307 is out of the question. Maybe I'll trying to get to 200...

And...I'm done. I did it. I really fucking did it. I got 100% in Super Meat Boy. I feel so incredible right now, like I could climb the side of snowy crag with only my pinky fingers, wrestle a Hammerhead Shark with my hands tied, or rip twenty phone books in half. I want to run out into my street and shout it out loud. I want to cry, laugh, and sing with joy. Thank you so much, Team Meat. From someone who has been playing video games for almost 23 years, you've given me and surely everyone an incredible example of why this medium is so fucking awesome. Kudos and respect.

Red

MyEpitomeCliché said:
And...I'm done. I did it. I really fucking did it. I got 100% in Super Meat Boy. I feel so incredible right now, like I could climb the side of snowy crag with only my pinky fingers, wrestle a Hammerhead Shark with my hands tied, or rip twenty phone books in half. I want to run out into my street and shout it out loud. I want to cry, laugh, and sing with joy. Thank you so much, Team Meat. From someone who has been playing video games for almost 23 years, you've given me and surely everyone an incredible example of why this medium is so fucking awesome. Kudos and respect.
Congratulations.

Not often I feel that needs to be said for completing a game :lol

NewFresh

My day:

Wake Up
Play MeatBoy
Get to Kid Warp Zone
Stay at kid warp zone lvl 1 (repeat for 30 min)
Make it to lvl 2
Stay at lvl 2
Go to class (leave Xbox on)
Get back
Get to lvl 3
Go to bathroom
Walk back to tv
Someone has shut off Xbox
Cry
Deep breaths
Cry
Buckle down
Unlock kid
:D

Red

EmmanuelMunoz said:
My day:

Wake Up
Play MeatBoy
Get to Kid Warp Zone
Stay at kid warp zone lvl 1 (repeat for 30 min)
Make it to lvl 2
Stay at lvl 2
Go to class (leave Xbox on)
Get back
Get to lvl 3
Go to bathroom
Walk back to tv
Someone has shut off Xbox
Cry
Deep breaths
Cry
Buckle down
Unlock kid
:D
Similar thing happened to me today. Left my X Box on overnight on Kid level 2, and power went out sometime while I was in class. Didn't try going for it again. I feel defeated in a profound way, and must recover from this emasculation before moving onward.

Also lost all my progress in Rapture and the boss of chapter 4.

MyEpitomeCliché said:

*hat tip*

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
GDJustin said:
Light World complete.

155/307 total levels complete. I'm near my personal limit. I haven't really set a stretch goal for myself... I probably should, or else I won't have much reason to keep playing. 307/307 is out of the question. Maybe I'll trying to get to 200...

now do what I'm doing. go back to the light worlds and a+ them after what you've just been through A+ on half the levels you missed first time round will be a cinch. I beat the game last night, then went back and got the 8 levels on ch 2 I had missed with 8+ took me 2 lives max for each level :lol

I even got the tricky bastard fan levels (hate fans)

FerranMG

So there's actually a dark lever for each light level?

And you unlock the dark levels when you A+ a light level?

Fuuuuuuuu, I though just some random levels had dark versions of them, and thought I was doing great progress beating this just few dark levels. :(

Nabs

Super Meat Boy Soundtrack by Danny B
http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/album/super-meat-boy-soundtrack
886296162-1.jpg

33 tracks - $3.99+

Jubbly

Full PR for soundtrack:

Danny Baranowsky has released the soundtrack to the hit XBOX Live Arcade game Super Meat Boy! From the composer of other game soundtracks such as Canabalt, Gravity Hook HD and Steambirds comes 32 tracks (over 90 minutes!) of delicious meaty tunes.

The soundtrack ranges from high intensity electronic rock to fully orchestrated action pieces, even including chiptune-style throwbacks to the classic era of gaming. This ain't yo daddy's soundtrack. It's available through Bandcamp at MeatBoyMusic.com. Name your price, minimum $3.99. Individual tracks for $.99.

The Package also includes 4 remixes of the Super Meat Boy soundtrack, by artists George Dziov, Inverse Phase, Mattias Häggström Gerdt (anosou), C418 and Josh Whelchel. The remixes are included with the soundtrack but are also available individually for FREE!

Download now at MeatBoyMusic.com!

I don't think I need to say much about this album to sell it. Anyone who owns Super Meat Boy or has played the demo, already has most of these tunes embedded in their brains. The soundtrack is amazing, without it Super Meat Boy would be kinda like Helen Keller except with the ability to see... so I guess just a deaf person, but a famous one.

http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/album/super-meat-boy-soundtrack

I cleared the light world last night, with A+ in all levels from stages 1-6. Not sure how much further I'll be able to get than that, but already the game has been absolutely fantastic and well worth the price. I'll attempt the dark world, but won't let myself get bent out of shape over it if it's more than I can handle.

If I have one complaint, it's that the game really doesn't need a run button - there's just no reason why you shouldn't be holding it down all the time. It's nice that Team Meat mapped it to three different locations on the controller, but an option to always run by default would definitely cut down on hand cramps. Reversing the functionality so that you can press a button to walk would have been more appropriate.

But that's a small complaint when everything else in the game is so perfect. As a $10 game made primarily by two dudes, Super Meat Boy makes a lot of big budget, derivative "triple-A" titles look downright silly and wasteful in comparison.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Boglinus said:
I cleared the light world last night, with A+ in all levels from stages 1-6. Not sure how much further I'll be able to get than that, but already the game has been absolutely fantastic and well worth the price. I'll attempt the dark world, but won't let myself get bent out of shape over it if it's more than I can handle.

If I have one complaint, it's that the game really doesn't need a run button - there's just no reason why you shouldn't be holding it down all the time. It's nice that Team Meat mapped it to three different locations on the controller, but an option to always run by default would definitely cut down on hand cramps. Reversing the functionality so that you can press a button to walk would have been more appropriate.

But that's a small complaint when everything else in the game is so perfect. As a $10 game made primarily by two dudes, Super Meat Boy makes a lot of big budget, derivative "triple-A" titles look downright silly and wasteful in comparison.

One of the most devious things that Team Meat did was make world 1 and 2's dark world *easier* than the last several light world stages. Don't be fooled - it ramps up to a brutal level soon enough. But by actually being not as bad as The End, players end up roped into more long Meat Boy sessions right when they think their time with the game might be winding down. :lol

MyEpitomeCliché said:
i1wtn4.jpg

I can tell I will never do this.

Falt

Got to Hell last night, completed 10 or so levels before calling it a night. I fucking love laser eyes! Something really satisfying about those levels.

MyEpitomeCliché said:

Congratulations. You have done something only a few of us can follow. I will try my best to do 100%... But it's looking pretty grim right now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
for the people that have even seen more than 1 glitch level, how did you find them/do it?

Is there a better way than starting a level, voluntarily dying then starting again until the girl is glitched?

Mimir

Unfortunately glitch levels are completely random. I think killing yourself at the start of the level until she's glitched is the best way of doing it. I've gotten fairly lucky, and unlocked 3 glitch worlds just through normal play.

catfish said:
for the people that have even seen more than 1 glitch level, how did you find them/do it?

Is there a better way than starting a level, voluntarily dying then starting again until the girl is glitched?
The glitch levels appear to only show up randomly.

You can always try to 'cheat' the system by retrying a short, relatively easy level over and over again until you can hear or see the glitched out Bandage Girl.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
leaderboards seem to be up around 50,000 in total now (one of my friends has 6 levels complete and is around #46,000 as of last night). that's a great first week by any standard.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OpinionatedCyborg said:

to get the dark version you need to A+ 7-20 regular :p

Barrett2

Man, this game is so damn tough. As someone who loves N+, Trials HD, etc., I'm surprised by my lack of patience with this. Definitely a lot of moments wanting to toss a controller.

Stumpokapow said:
leaderboards seem to be up around 50,000 in total now (one of my friends has 6 levels complete and is around #46,000 as of last night). that's a great first week by any standard.
49,xxx

It says the total number of players at the top.

I've finished 71% of the game so far. Finished the Light World today, and I can't say that those levels are all that hard.

Now it's time to try the fourth chapter Dark World. Can't say I'm looking forward to that, but I'm sure it's doable.

chixdiggit

Enjoyed the demo but will have to pass on this one. I have bought too many games of this type (SplosionMan,N+, Trials, etc) to now know better. I just end up getting frustrated with them and quitting before getting my moneys worth. I do like platformers... I just suck at them I guess.

Yes! I beat The Kid levels! :D

As I said last night, the game booted me out of the second The Kid level and back to the main menu after my 360 finished downloading something, and I lost all the progress I had made in The Rapture to that point (on top of the first The Kid level, obviously), which was seven levels, all of which I had got A ranks in (and a few bandages). However, although I was irritated, I wasn't particularly angry. I think that speaks volumes about Super Meat Boy, because if it were any other game, I'd likely have gone apeshit.

I think it's because no matter how hard a level is, you never feel cheated. The controls are damn near perfect (my only slight nitpick is that - as somebody else said earlier - controlling when you start/stop sliding down a wall isn't quite as intuitive and seamless as everything else), and even though you die again and again on a single level, as soon as you get the feel for it, it gets a LOT easier on repeat playthroughs. When I got back to The Kid levels, I beat the first one in less than ten attempts, whereas it took me well over a hundred last night.

Case in point, I just right now played The Kid levels again, and beat all three within 15 minutes.

EDIT: Man, The Kid makes a lot of levels MUCH easier, especially when it comes to getting an A-rank. Between him and Tim's invincibility trick (for levels where you have to dodge things), some potentially evil levels turn into cakewalks.

bistromathics said:
sorry, I don't have the game. I meant, if I were to get it, is there a preferred way to play?
Well, the analog stick on the 360 controller works great, but some people have said that an arcade stick is even better. Haven't seen anyone say anything about the madcatz street fighter pad, but if the dpad on that one is good then I would assume that it will work great. I would say that it's all down to personal preference since all three controllers should work great.

Personally I've only tried the 360 controller and the portable drum kit controller from mad catz. That's the one that resembles a NES controller. Since I started with the 360 controller and using the right trigger to run, it took a while to get used to the drum kit controller, but now I prefer it.

bistromathics said:
which controller should I use for this game: 360 pad, madcatz fight pad, or arcade stick?
Honestly, I switch between them depending on how much my thumb/hand hurts. Ahahha, they all work wonderfully. And the OST is SOOOOOOOO bought.

Do you have to A+ all the Dark World levels to get 100%? I know you do for the Light World, obviously, as that's how you unlock the Dark World levels.

Crunched said:
Similar thing happened to me today. Left my X Box on overnight on Kid level 2, and power went out sometime while I was in class. Didn't try going for it again. I feel defeated in a profound way, and must recover from this emasculation before moving onward.

Also lost all my progress in Rapture and the boss of chapter 4.

Give it another go. I got booted back to the main menu during The Kid's second level, but when I went back to it today, I beat the first level pretty quickly. As with most other levels in this game, once you've got the knack for a level and beat it once, doing it again is much, much easier. I've now beat all of The Kid levels three times, simply because I enjoyed them so much.

Top Bottom