• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ben2749 said:
No, I mean I'm at 96% for Hell. Despite beating/clearing everything in that world.

And apparently, Teh Internets has no bearing on your completion/leaderboard ranking.

You probably didn't actually clear one of the four Warp Zones. There is no way to track which ones are beaten and which ones are unbeaten. Unlike normal levels, collected bandages, etc.

Wizpig

Patch can't come soon enough.
I want to play this.

Also an interesting blog post: No SMB 2!
http://supermeatboy.com/52/No_SMB_2_/#b

Both tommy and i have talked it over many times and agree strongly that sequels tend to tarnish the original. Now there are always exceptions to this, mario for example, zelda and so on. but when you really think about it amazing games like, Tomb Raider, Mario Party, Tony Hawk and dare i say... Mega Man in a lot of ways have taken away from the original experience intended and muddied the memory of how great these games originally were.

GDJustin

Mixed feelings about this news. Ultimately I think it is a positive thing.

#1 Team Meat is clearly talented. I'll be just as hyped for their new project as I would be for SMB2.

#2 SMB is already huge, and Teh Internets ensures it's going to get even... huger. No need to pump out a sequel.

#3 They can always return to the series down the road. I wouldn't be surprised if we DID see a new Meat Boy, sometime next gen.

Amir0x

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I meant Teh Internets has no bearing on overall completion percentage/leaderboard rankings. Stop nitpicking. :p

Thanks for the list, but I posted that a little while ago, so I've already used it.

Besides, apparently, some other people are having the same problem, but they said they got the achievement. I just hope they mean the "I am a Golden God!" achievement, as if I'm denied that, I'll be livid. I currently have absolutely everything done (A+ ranks, bandages, warp zones, minus levels) right up to
Cotton Alley
, in which I'm up to Light World level 15 (all A+ rank so far). If I get absolutely everything, but get nothing for it due to a glitch, I won't be happy.

Yeah that would blow for people who care about achievements.

I hate achievements so I don't give a fuck but I doubt you really have to worry. If it is a glitch, probably be fixed in some patch, no?

weepy

This game is kicking my ass and back. I just got past the second world...barely. It seems to really be unforgiving with miss jumps.

Mimir

GDJustin said:
You probably didn't actually clear one of the four Warp Zones. There is no way to track which ones are beaten and which ones are unbeaten. Unlike normal levels, collected bandages, etc.
I can't remember any warp zones that didn't either have unlockable characters or 2 bandages, which would make it fairly obvious which ones are unbeaten.

OnPoint

Got a time last night in a level that was 0.02. The replay glitched out or something. I hope I don't get banned for that.

Finished
The Cotton Alley
light world levels today.

I like a challenge, but I think I'm pretty much done with the dark world stuff. I got the Kid. I beat a ton of earlier dark world levels. It just started to become too stressful. Maybe I'll eventually go back, but not now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ARGHHHHHHHHH.jpg

AGHHHHHHHHH!!!, seriously, this section on 6-5 is such a pain in the ass, been trying this for 4 hours now, I can get to this point with my eyes closed now but getting down from there is soooo hard :-(

Stuneseht

lowrider007 said:
AGHHHHHHHHH!!!, seriously, this section on 6-5 is such a pain in the ass, been trying this for 4 hours now, I can get to this point with my eyes closed now but getting down from there is soooo hard :-(

This part had me going crazy too. I had two methods to solve this area:

1. Slide down the wall on the left; do a little wall jump as if i where going to go up again; but instead, guide your jump down slightly to the right, then to the left.
2. jump down from the platform that your on clearing both the walls and the blades. Immediately hit the analog stick to the right as you begin to fall; then quickly turn left, making sure that you clear the saws on the left and bottom right.

Though both methods are easier said than done.:D

Sad_Panda

lowrider007 said:
ARGHHHHHHHHH.jpg

Don't try to stick to the left wall when falling down, that didn't work for me. It's waaaaaay easier to jump and aim so that you fall right between the buzzsaws. Takes a bit of practice, but it's definitely not that hard.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Stuneseht said:
This part had me going crazy too. I had two methods to solve this area:

1. Slide down the wall on the left; do a little wall jump as if i where going to go up again; but instead, guide your jump down slightly to the right, then to the left.
2. jump down from the platform that your on clearing both the walls and the blades. Immediately hit the analog stick to the right as you begin to fall; then quickly turn left, making sure that you clear the saws on the left and bottom right.

Though both methods are easier said than done.:D

Cheers, I've done it now using your number 1 method, I actually jumped out my chair and did a little dance when I passed it :D, I think I'll leave the boss for another day, a cold beer is what I need now after that.

GDJustin

lowrider007 said:
ARGHHHHHHHHH.jpg

That part was tough for me but I eventually got it down consistently. It was he NEXT jump that killed me.

I did mini wall jumps off the left wall and then the right, to clear it. The trick is to watch meat boy, and jump just before he slides down into the buzzsaw.

I need help GAF

I can't get the bandage in: World 3 "The Salt Factory" - Warp Zone Cartridge Dump - 1-1.

Seems like a regular jump wont get you high enough and the obvious way to get it is to wall jump off of one of the 2 single blocks in the middle, but even that doesn't seem to get me high enough, is there something I am missing?

Mimir

TheVisualizer said:
I need help GAF

I can't get the bandage in: World 3 "The Salt Factory" - Warp Zone Cartridge Dump - 1-1.

Seems like a regular jump wont get you high enough and the obvious way to get it is to wall jump off of one of the 2 single blocks in the middle, but even that doesn't seem to get me high enough, is there something I am missing?
It requires an extremely well timed wall-jump from one of the middle blocks. I've managed to grab it once, but died on a later level.

I just got The Kid. Bow down.

EDIT: Looks like a few others here did it too. It's good to be in the club. I'm one bandage from unlocking Tim, and then it feels like the rest will be easier.

Amir0x

Banned
That bandage was such a bitch. But I got it down after trying it a bunch of times. Just practice wall jumping from the two middle blocks, back and forth, until you can safely time the jump distance between the two middle blocks. Eventually, when you feel comfortable, launch yourself as high as possible, and you'll get the bandage.

The key is people get so nervous so they tend to overshoot or undershoot and then miss the platform on return, so you have to have complete control.

Anyway, getting that bandage was one thing, but then I had to get to 1-3 and get that bandage too on the same go. It's an easier bandage to get, but when your hands are sweating over the idea that you'll lose the first bandage you got... not so easy :lol

I just got up to Hell. I've done 100% of all worlds up to this point, and all but two of Teh Internet levels. Trying to be real deliberate, not just trying to A+ everything but want good leaderboard rankings on every level so I'm playing over and over. I unlocked Tim already in the middle of the third world so that's good.

FUCKING FIX THE LEADERBOARDS TEAM MEAT.

Also, I just love love love how this game turns expectations on its head.

Like how during that one level, you're being chased by blades and have to go through a real elaborate obstacle course and then swing back around to the start to get Bandage Princess...

...but then later you realize that if you time your jump JUST RIGHT, you can jump in between the advancing blades, skipping the entire obstacle course and beating the level in 2 seconds. It's SUCH a hard precise jump to make but it's so amazingly satisfying, just shows the level of tinkering the developers did on this level.

Or another where you have to ride an elevator and pass a series of spike traps...

...but then when you go for a good time, you realize you can actually proceed through the little holes the elevator passes through, thus skipping all the spike traps and allowing you to finish waaay faster
:lol

Also, one difficult bandage for me was on the one level where you gotta ride those escalators up, grab a key and then jump the gap and immediately grab another key that falls from the sky. And then there's a bandage between two saw blades that you need a really precise jump for. And that'd be all fine and dandy, if you didn't immediately need to get another key and then another dropping key falling from the sky, which requires a far different and more complex type of timing. And you have to do it all right in one turn, because if you miss either falling key, the level is over. Was so happy when I got that bandage :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jonnyboy117 said:

EDIT: Looks like a few others here did it too. It's good to be in the club. I'm one bandage from unlocking Tim, and then it feels like the rest will be easier.
The feeling you get right after unlocking the kid is something else. You feel like you could wrestle a bear and win.

Amir0x said:
That bandage was such a bitch. But I got it down after trying it a bunch of times. Just practice wall jumping from the two middle blocks, back and forth, until you can safely time the jump distance between the two middle blocks. Eventually, when you feel comfortable, launch yourself as high as possible, and you'll get the bandage.

The key is people get so nervous so they tend to overshoot or undershoot and then miss the platform on return, so you have to have complete control.

Anyway, getting that bandage was one thing, but then I had to get to 1-3 and get that bandage too on the same go. It's an easier bandage to get, but when your hands are sweating over the idea that you'll lose the first bandage you got... not so easy :lol

I just got up to Hell. I've done 100% of all worlds up to this point, and all but two of Teh Internet levels. Trying to be real deliberate, not just trying to A+ everything but want good leaderboard rankings on every level so I'm playing over and over. I unlocked Tim already in the middle of the third world so that's good.

FUCKING FIX THE LEADERBOARDS TEAM MEAT.

Also, I just love love love how this game turns expectations on its head.

Like how during that one level, you're being chased by blades and have to go through a real elaborate obstacle course and then swing back around to the start to get Bandage Princess...

...but then later you realize that if you time your jump JUST RIGHT, you can jump in between the advancing blades, skipping the entire obstacle course and beating the level in 2 seconds. It's SUCH a hard precise jump to make but it's so amazingly satisfying, just shows the level of tinkering the developers did on this level.

Or another where you have to ride an elevator and pass a series of spike traps...

...but then when you go for a good time, you realize you can actually proceed through the little holes the elevator passes through, thus skipping all the spike traps and allowing you to finish waaay faster

Also, one difficult bandage for me was on the one level where you gotta ride those escalators up, grab a key and then jump the gap and immediately grab another key that falls from the sky. And then there's a bandage between two saw blades that you need a really precise jump for. And that'd be all fine and dandy, if you didn't immediately need to get another key and then another dropping key falling from the sky, which requires a far different and more complex type of timing. And you have to do it all right in one turn, because if you miss either falling key, the level is over. Was so happy when I got that bandage :lol

everything you said is what makes this game so great, yeah I'll keep trying on that 1-1 bandage, I got them all in Salt Factory with the exception that one and the one in one of the last dark levels where you got to dig down and dodge the 3 missile launchers than come back in once you get the key and go all the way up in that corner for it..yeah fuck that one. I managed to get back up there a few times with Meat Boy but I can't manage to squeeze into that little corner to get the bandage while dodging missiles.

Today I finished up Hell and got all A+ on all Hell's Dark World levels, couple real pain the ass ones there, seemed like the harder ones were in the middle 10-15, the last couple were pretty easy

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Amir0x said:

Something akin to this is the worm boss(chapter 5? IIRC). I ended up beating it by wall jumping off the rising platform through the really small gap in between the blades, then you just wait on the ledge for them all to jump into the saws.

FerranMG

Got the Kid as well. :D

As others said before, I spent an hour to beat the first stage, and much less to beat the other two.

Though stage 3 was such a bitch. It's so fucking ruthless it really got me on my nerves. You have to start playing at 100% of intensity, because each of these moving spike blocks can kill you if you blink or hesitate for a millisecond.

Jonnyboy117 said:

Yeah, between Meat Boy, The Kid, and Tim, there's not really much reason to use any other characters. Meat Boy is for speed, The Kid is for jumping around easily, and Tim is for dodging stage hazards and stopping momentum mid-fall/jump.

Just a heads-up though; always try and beat levels with Meat Boy first, as the last two worlds don't let you change character, so it's not good to become too dependant on switching out.

Done. I've now finished absolutely everything at A+ rank, collected all the bandages, cleared all the warp zones, and beat all the minus levels.

What a ride. I don't think I've ever had such mixed emotions on completing a game before. I'm incredibly proud of myself, and happy that I finally managed what I've been determinedly working towards for a solid week now (I downloaded it on the 23rd), but at the same time, I'm sad that it's over. Here's hoping they fix the leaderboards with a patch, which will make time trials viable for replayability.

For the record (in case anybody else has a similar issue), I finished with 96% in Hell, and 103% in
Cotton Alley
, and the "I am a Golden God!" achievement unlocked for me after beating Dark World level 18 of
Cotton Alley

Speaking of
Cotton Alley
, some of those levels were just insane. But then, some of them were strangely easy (Light World level 2 in particular felt like it should have been in The Forest or The Hospital). But overall, it was still definitely the toughest world in the game. Although some of the warp zones were more demanding, but that's because of the fact that you have a limited number of lives.

I'm ranked at #46 on the overall leaderboard (out of 60530 people), but the first 2 people have glitched their way in, as it says they've beat 357 levels, which is 50 more than the actual number. In any case, I'm pretty satisfied.

I tip my hat to Team Meat. This is one of my favourite games this year, and I'd say it's easily a contender for best game on XBLA. The fact that only two guys can put out a platform game with some of the best physics, level design, and difficulty level ever seen, is just mind-blowing. And while the graphics are nothing too special, the music is absolutely incredible, and I bought and downloaded the soundtrack as soon as somebody posted a link to it here.

I seriously do hope they make another Super Meat Boy in the future, despite how they feel about the prospect now. But whatever their next game is, I'm already looking forward to it.

That 6-5 part was tough for me. I didn't hold right trigger at all so I would be going at the slowest speed. Then I jumped to the left wall, slid down, jumped to the right, slid down, and you're free. If you jump at the last second you'll almost get it every time after awhile.

Godslay

Banned
I bought this out of boredom yesterday, and because of this thread. What a magnificent game! I haven't experienced this much good frustration in such a long time. Actually, some of the stages reminded me of the days when I used to play Ghost 'n Goblins on the NES. That feeling of this game is beating the hell out of me at points, but I'm not letting it get the best of me.

Best 800 points I've spent on XBLA, hands down:D

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah this is the ultimate example of how frustration leads to determination to improve skill which leads to an incalculably higher level of satisfaction and joy-for-reward.

The difference between good devs and bad devs is the good ones realize the frustration MUST be the gamer's fault, not the games. Trial-and-error must be kept to an absolute minimum. You must always feel your death is as a result of you being just too slow or just over calculating your jump, never because of some bullshit that's virtually unavoidable the first few times.

Pussy games with no challenge don't entertain me. Super Meat Boy is exactly the type of game I want.

800 points for this was such a steal.

TheVisualizer said:
everything you said is what makes this game so great, yeah I'll keep trying on that 1-1 bandage, I got them all in Salt Factory with the exception that one and the one in one of the last dark levels where you got to dig down and dodge the 3 missile launchers than come back in once you get the key and go all the way up in that corner for it..yeah fuck that one. I managed to get back up there a few times with Meat Boy but I can't manage to squeeze into that little corner to get the bandage while dodging missiles.

That last bandage was a bitch, but the slipping into that hole isn't so tough. You have to do the wall-up slide. Just calculate your jumps so that you land just under the hole and then slide up into it. Don't try to jump up into it.

The trick is to do it with missiles raining down upon your head, so don't get too nervous :lol

At this point I've got like 5000 deaths. So many retries trying to get best times damn!

Ugh, that bandage was a bitch, but then some of the worst bandages in the game are the ones that require you to go back to the start after getting a key at the end.

Another nasty example was the second level in one of the Rapture warp zones. And of course that had the added bonus of making you play through the first (fairly long) level every three failed attempts.

Anyway, has anybody else managed to do absolutely everything (All A+ ranks, all minus levels beat, and bandages collected)?

It's nice that there's a reward for getting all 101 bandages (
Ninja Meat Boy
), but it does seem a little pointless.
He's can run slightly faster and can jump slightly higher than Meat Boy, but he disables leaderboards, so you can't use him to set new records. And it's not like you'd need him for anything else once you've unlocked him.

Amir0x

Banned
Ben2749 said:
Ugh, that bandage was a bitch, but then some of the worst bandages in the game are the ones that require you to go back to the start after getting a key at the end.

Another nasty example was the second level in one of the Rapture warp zones. And of course that had the added bonus of making you play through the first (fairly long) level every three failed attempts.

Anyway, has anybody else managed to do absolutely everything (All A+ ranks, all minus levels beat, and bandages collected)?

It's nice that there's a reward for getting all 101 bandages (
Ninja Meat Boy
), but it does seem a little pointless.
He's can run slightly faster and can jump slightly higher than Meat Boy, but he disables leaderboards, so you can't use him to set new records. And it's not like you'd need him for anything else once you've unlocked him.

Ninja Meat Boy should have a separate leaderboard. Let's demand it!

IF TEAM MEAT CAN FIRST FIX THE LEADERBOARDS WE HAVE!

WHAT THE FUCK ALREADY

Godslay

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah this is the ultimate example of how frustration leads to determination to improve skill which leads to an incalculably higher level of satisfaction and joy-for-reward.

The difference between good devs and bad devs is the good ones realize the frustration MUST be the gamer's fault, not the games. Trial-and-error must be kept to an absolute minimum. You must always feel your death is as a result of you being just too slow or just over calculating your jump, never because of some bullshit that's virtually unavoidable the first few times.

Pussy games with no challenge don't entertain me. Super Meat Boy is exactly the type of game I want.

800 points for this was such a steal.

Without a doubt. After the thousands of deaths that I have had, I haven't reached a point where I have either smashed a controller or yelled out fuck this game. I know what I have to do, I just have to get my mind and fingers to execute it.

To me it is incredibly rewarding to watch the replays of hundreds of little meatboys getting destroyed, and seeing the one break the cycles of death and make it to the end. I don't want to sound too crazy, but it's strangely poetic to see that one little guy make it out alive.:lol

Is there a gamertag list for this game or something? I need more leaderboard competition, not many of my friends have bought this for some reason.

GT is number1jagsfan if anyone wants to add me

Red

Amir0x said:

l
Huh, I thought that was how you were meant to beat the level. Never tried actually just riding the platform :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Crunched said:
Huh, I thought that was how you were meant to beat the level. Never tried actually just riding the platform :lol

how could you confuse how the developer's intended player's to first take the level!? What did you think a moving platform that perfectly moves through the level would be for :lol

Red

Amir0x said:
how could you confuse how the developer's intended player's to first take the level!? What did you think a moving platform that perfectly moves through the level would be for :lol
Is that the level that has a horizontally moving platform that passes through vertical columns through these perfectly Meat Boy-sized spaces? I just saw spikes, and then holes with no spikes and thought: "no spikes is the way to go." It's like a five second long level, you just jump jump jump jump done. No worrying about obstacles at all.

I thought the platforms were another obstacle that would push you out of the small spaces if you took too long.

Wizpig

eternalb said:
I <3 the soundtrack...
The gameplay is fucking ace, and that's the important part.

But i don't quite "love" the graphics and the soundtrack.

The graphics, well, it depends on the level, some are colored in a nice way, while others are like puke green.

The soundtrack, i dunno, i'm only in World 2 and while it is memorable i liked the VVVVVV songs more.
Chiptune, etc.

OH SHIT.

According to the Super Meat Boy website, there's a shitton of stuff to look forward to.

First of all, there's going to be 3 Super Meat Boy tracks as DLC in Rock Band 3. That's fucking awesome, especially since after downloading the soundtrack, I was imagining how awesome that would be. I wonder which tracks they'll use...

Secondly, the should be a title update out soon that fixes a few glitches, and it's going to come with a new Teh Internets chapter called "I Meat Boy", which is apparently 20 incredibly challenging levels. There's also going to be two other Teh Internets chapters before the end of the year; "The Sewers of Dross" (med dificulty) a 20 level chapter where you play as Gish, and "Meat Boy Remix" (med-hard) another 20 level chapter that remixes old favorites from the flash protype.

Amir0x

Banned
Wizpig said:
The gameplay is fucking ace, and that's the important part.

But i don't quite "love" the graphics and the soundtrack.

The graphics, well, it depends on the level, some are colored in a nice way, while others are like puke green.

The soundtrack, i dunno, i'm only in World 2 and while it is memorable i liked the VVVVVV songs more.
Chiptune, etc.

This track is fucking SO BADASS

The graphics are a splendidly simple mix that encourages a happy blending of styles for the appropriate send-ups, but it emphasizes function over form. Everything is made to be as easily identifiable as possible, for the most clear cut obstacle avoidance.

Ben2749 said:
OH SHIT.

According to the Super Meat Boy website, there's a shitton of stuff to look forward to.

First of all, there's going to be 3 Super Meat Boy tracks as DLC in Rock Band 3. That's fucking awesome, especially since after downloading the soundtrack, I was imagining how awesome that would be. I wonder which tracks they'll use...

Secondly, the should be a title update out soon that fixes a few glitches, and it's going to come with a new Teh Internets chapter called "I Meat Boy", which is apparently 20 incredibly challenging levels. There's also going to be two other Teh Internets chapters before the end of the year; "The Sewers of Dross" (med dificulty) a 20 level chapter where you play as Gish, and "Meat Boy Remix" (med-hard) another 20 level chapter that remixes old favorites from the flash protype.
Awesome news all around. Can't wait to play some SMB songs in RB3.

Haunted

So can someone who played both versions compare the retail release to the Meat Boy newgrounds flash? (or direct me to a link where someone has already done that).

I didn't really feel the love in the flash version, is this one markedly different, or just more of the same with new levels and characters?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
can't get the warpzone on level 3 I think it's the first one, how the hell do you pass the 2nd level of that? It's just a wide gap that meatboy can't jump, also wtf at the bandage the level before it!

Amir0x said:
That last bandage was a bitch, but the slipping into that hole isn't so tough. You have to do the wall-up slide. Just calculate your jumps so that you land just under the hole and then slide up into it. Don't try to jump up into it.

The trick is to do it with missiles raining down upon your head, so don't get too nervous :lol

At this point I've got like 5000 deaths. So many retries trying to get best times damn!

finally managed to get the bandage earlier today, i got the cartridge dump warp zone one too. I got 100% for the first 3 worlds now, just missing the glitch level for the Salt Factory...

Amir0x

Banned
Haunted said:
So can someone who played both versions compare the retail release to the Meat Boy newgrounds flash? (or direct me to a link where someone has already done that).

I didn't really feel the love in the flash version, is this one markedly different, or just more of the same with new levels and characters?

What didn't you like about it?

Fundamentally, the biggest improvement seems to be refinement of the controls. Xbox 360 control's are inarguable some of the most pitch perfect platforming controls in the entire genre. Meat Boy has the perfect level of momentum with his jumps and the player assumes the perfect level of control. It is, in a word, perfect.

Of course, there is also the amazing level design.

Red

Amir0x said:
What didn't you like about it?

Fundamentally, the biggest improvement seems to be refinement of the controls. Xbox 360 control's are inarguable some of the most pitch perfect platforming controls in the entire genre. Meat Boy has the perfect level of momentum with his jumps and the player assumes the perfect level of control. It is, in a word, perfect.

Of course, there is also the amazing level design.
You seem to form really passionate opinions about the games you enjoy, and so while I may not agree 100% with the "perfect" comment in regard to SMB, it is pretty damn close. I've posted before in here about the unrecognized jumps and the twitch controls, and I disagree on "amazing design" in a handful of levels (where parts of the background blend in with actual platforms). But the more I play it, the more I enjoy it, and I'll be damned if this isn't one of the best platformers I've played in 20 years.

So, Haunted: SMB is inarguably worth buying at its $15 price tag, especially if you're a fan of rewarding and challenging platformers. It's a sort of litmus test that separates the men from the boys.

Top Bottom