• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Amir0x

Banned
Crunched said:
You seem to form really passionate opinions about the games you enjoy, and so while I may not agree 100% with the "perfect" comment in regard to SMB, it is pretty damn close. I've posted before in here about the unrecognized jumps and the twitch controls, and I disagree on "amazing design" in a handful of levels (where parts of the background blend in with actual platforms). But the more I play it, the more I enjoy it, and I'll be damned if this isn't one of the best platformers I've played in 20 years.

So, Haunted: SMB is inarguably worth buying at its $15 price tag, especially if you're a fan of rewarding and challenging platformers. It's a sort of litmus test that separates the men from the boys.

I honestly just haven't had the problems you reportedly did. All my jumps are recognized, etc. That's why I can't very well speculate about those minor control issues you have unless I experience them. It's not that I'm trying to, like, overstate it.

As far as I'm concerned, Super Meat Boy has about as perfect platforming controls as they come. I genuinely feel that way. It's one of the best platformers ever made, and the level design is constantly impressing me. Sure, with five billion levels there's gonna be a few that are kinda throwaway, but the overall consistency of quality is really remarkable. This developer showcases a level of proficiency with level design that I think is really only ever shown in the top top tier Nintendo platformers.

OnPoint

Amir0x said:
I honestly just haven't had the problems you reportedly did. All my jumps are recognized, etc. That's why I can't very well speculate about those minor control issues you have unless I experience them. It's not that I'm trying to, like, overstate it.

As far as I'm concerned, Super Meat Boy has about as perfect platforming controls as they come. I genuinely feel that way. It's one of the best platformers ever made, and the level design is constantly impressing me. Sure, with five billion levels there's gonna be a few that are kinda throwaway, but the overall consistency of quality is really remarkable. This developer showcases a level of proficiency with level design that I think is really only ever shown in the top top tier Nintendo platformers.

It's entirely possible you didn't have any of these issues. But I've had about 10 people play it by now. They've all loved it to be sure, but they all complain about the missed jump problem. It tends to happen toward the edge of an end block, I've noticed. It's just something you have to account for.

h3ro

Picked this up last night, what a blast!

Anyone else finding something oddly relaxing about this game? I was trying to get an A+ on one of the levels and felt like I was almost in a trance while doing the stage. I died about 20 times in a row, with most of them on the same jump and didn't mind at all. Speeding through a level is great, but for my first few runs, I'm going slow as heck. I'm using Commander Video to scope out the levels first, his hover is a life saver for me.

Controls are great, really accurate. I'm using the analog on the stock 360 controller, no issues here beside having some serious claw hand from keeping the right trigger pinned down for run. :lol

The soundtrack is fantastic! Definitely going to pick this one up when I have the chance. Loving the small homages in the beginning of all the different worlds. The SFII opening for world 1 was hilarious.

Amirox is currently no.1 on my xbla friends leaderboard... I'm coming for you man... I'm coming. (probably really slowly though)

Totally worth my $10. Two thumbs up. :D

Glix

OnPoint said:
It's entirely possible you didn't have any of these issues. But I've had about 10 people play it by now. They've all loved it to be sure, but they all complain about the missed jump problem. It tends to happen toward the edge of an end block, I've noticed. It's just something you have to account for.

No way. If its missing the jump, its because you hit jump too late.

OnPoint

Glix said:
No way. If its missing the jump, its because you hit jump too late.

Definitely not the case, and I'm starting to see some people are just going to stay on whatever side of the divide they are on. I've been all the way through
Cotton Alley
and it happens some of the time for sure.

Glix

OnPoint said:
Definitely not the case, and I'm starting to see some people are just going to stay on whatever side of the divide they are on. I've been all the way through
Cotton Alley
and it happens some of the time for sure.

When the pc version comes out, we can use some kind of tool that recognizes your key presses, run it over the game, capture footage of the whole thing, and figure it out.

Until then we shall agree to disagree. :D

OnPoint

Glix said:
When the pc version comes out, we can use some kind of tool that recognizes your key presses, run it over the game, capture footage of the whole thing, and figure it out.

Until then we shall agree to disagree. :D

haha deal

Amir0x

Banned
h3ro said:
Picked this up last night, what a blast!

Anyone else finding something oddly relaxing about this game? I was trying to get an A+ on one of the levels and felt like I was almost in a trance while doing the stage. I died about 20 times in a row, with most of them on the same jump and didn't mind at all. Speeding through a level is great, but for my first few runs, I'm going slow as heck. I'm using Commander Video to scope out the levels first, his hover is a life saver for me.

Controls are great, really accurate. I'm using the analog on the stock 360 controller, no issues here beside having some serious claw hand from keeping the right trigger pinned down for run. :lol

The soundtrack is fantastic! Definitely going to pick this one up when I have the chance. Loving the small homages in the beginning of all the different worlds. The SFII opening for world 1 was hilarious.

Amirox is currently no.1 on my xbla friends leaderboard... I'm coming for you man... I'm coming. (probably really slowly though)

Totally worth my $10. Two thumbs up. :D

It's really addicting, no? I am only about 50% through the game and I can't stop playing. Death never felt so good :D

Also, it's funny, at first I thought Commander Video was gonna help me, but now I'm so used to Super Meat Boy's control that I always end up dying more often than not with CV :lol

Beezy

h3ro said:
Anyone else finding something oddly relaxing about this game?
Hell fucking no.

Bought it yesterday and I beat the light world last night, but only after suffering through 6-5. Some stages are just torture.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
OnPoint said:
Yeah, I commented about this awhile ago. It only happens at the edge of a block in my experience, and I think it's related to the animation system. It's kind of a bummer but you can plan around it if you're aware of it, so it's not really a deal breaker.

Mike M

Nick N
I too can vouch for running jumps from the edges of platforms not always seeming to be recognized, but it's easily compensated for by jumping sooner.

Red

Mike M said:
I too can vouch for running jumps from the edges of platforms not always seeming to be recognized, but it's easily compensated for by jumping sooner.
There are a few situations when jumps seem to be missed. One is jumping off the edge of platforms, another is when trying to jump immediately after landing on/against a small block (usually a 1x1); here, Meat Boy will sort of "stutter" against the wall, but won't jump off of it. Sometimes jumping immediately after starting a level is not recognized. Some jumps from flat surfaces are missed right before you reach a wall, which is really the most obvious of all for me, because Meat Boy will do nothing at all except keep running into the wall in question. It's the easiest one to detect because it doesn't result in you actually dying.

Dying multiple times on normal levels doesn't really frustrate me because you instantly restart, but dying on warp zones is pretty annoying. Not the fact that you have to restart from the beginning of the warp zone--that part is fine, I'm all for the challenge. But being kicked to the map and having to sit through the intro screen over and over again, however short it may be, is really frustrating.

Other wishes: bandage indicators for completed stages (even something unlockable, like once you finish a chapter you get a checklist of stages where you missed stuff), and bandage/completion indicators for warp zones.

Godslay

Banned
Beezy said:
Hell fucking no.

Bought it yesterday and I beat the light world last night, but only after suffering through 6-5. Some stages are just torture.

Just beat 6-5 and that stage really seems like a flow stage were you can't stop to think you just have to do it. I got an A+, with a 37.59 score after about an hour worth of tries.

Haunted said:
So can someone who played both versions compare the retail release to the Meat Boy newgrounds flash? (or direct me to a link where someone has already done that).

I didn't really feel the love in the flash version, is this one markedly different, or just more of the same with new levels and characters?

Like I said, I beat everything in Super Meat Boy earlier today; I think it's one of the greatest platformers of all time, and definitely one of my top five XBLA games. I just now went and played Meat Boy, and it's nearly unplayable by comparison. The level design is nowhere near as good, and the controls have several issues:

1) The left + right arrow keys really don't work well for this type of game. At all.

2) You have zero control over how high you jump. You press the space bar, and you jump a set height. So if you want to make a small hop, you're out of luck.

3) As soon as you push the directional key away from the wall you're sliding down/up, you drop off it. This makes getting the maximum distance from a walljump awkward/impossible, as you have to jump, and *then* push the direction you want to go. In Super Meat Boy, you have to hold away from the wall for a split second before you drop off it; while this can sometimes be bad when you need to quickly get off a wall without jumping, it's a much better alternative to Meat Boy's design.

Truth be told, I'm amazed that they felt Meat Boy was strong enough to make an entire game out of, but I'm ever so glad they did.

On a side-note, it's interesting that they reused the same music from Meat Boy in Super Meat Boy, but made it a billion times better. It shows that they had some good tunes, but they weren't fully realised in Meat Boy. Super Meat Boy, on the other hand, does them incredible justice.

Red

FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Got the kid

Damn, stage 5-11 is second most frustrating stage for me so far after kid #2. I can't even finish it. I've tried every character and I still can't make it into the door in time after flipping the switch. Meat Boy and flywrench come close, but I get "pushed" out as the wall reforms, and if I go any faster I get killed by the evil meat boys falling from the ceiling pipes.

I think I'm done for the night.

Hige

Haunted said:
So can someone who played both versions compare the retail release to the Meat Boy newgrounds flash? (or direct me to a link where someone has already done that).

I didn't really feel the love in the flash version, is this one markedly different, or just more of the same with new levels and characters?
The flash version is shit. I had doubts about SMB since all I had to go on was the flash game, which had terrible controls. But I bought SMB day one since, although I don't rely on reviews, no one seemed to bring up the controls in a negative light. You won't regret SMB if you're interested in a hardcore platforming game, trust me. The controls are so much tighter compared to the flash game.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Ben2749 said:
OH SHIT.

According to the Super Meat Boy website, there's a shitton of stuff to look forward to.

First of all, there's going to be 3 Super Meat Boy tracks as DLC in Rock Band 3. That's fucking awesome, especially since after downloading the soundtrack, I was imagining how awesome that would be. I wonder which tracks they'll use...

I'm doing The Battle of Lil' Slugger (Ch 1 Boss), Betus Blues (Ch 2 Retro), and Can o' Salt (Ch 3). Daniel is doing special remixes of all three so they work better for the game. No ETA yet.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Charron said:
I'm doing The Battle of Lil' Slugger (Ch 1 Boss), Betus Blues (Ch 2 Retro), and Can o' Salt (Ch 3). Daniel is doing special remixes of all three so they work better for the game. No ETA yet.
Aw, no Hot Damned? :(

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Shig said:
Aw, no Hot Damned? :(

We talked through the project before the game was released (started right after I announced the VVVVVV tracks). Hot Damned wasn't on the sample list, so I wasn't able to consider it for the project. Ah well.

Adam J.

Lemme ask you guys this this; do you think that it's possible to beat some of the levels by sheer luck? I just got done putting around in Cotton Alley(*&$@ this level BTW) and a couple of times I beat levels by just goofing around out of desperation with random jumps, wall slides, etc...

Is the game 1080p on 360? Contemplating getting it cheap now rather than waiting for the PC verison, but ultimately I must have the best version. When does the 800 point offer expire?

Beezy

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Is the game 1080p on 360? Contemplating getting it cheap now rather than waiting for the PC verison, but ultimately I must have the best version. When does the 800 point offer expire?
I dunno if it's 1080p, but it looks clean and good. I don't see how it could look any better.

Isn't today the last day? So most likely at 5-6am.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Anyone know the differences between the PC, XBLA, and Wiiware versions of the game?

Different unlockable characters in each version. Mr. Minecraft is in PC version.

PC has level editor (not available at launch).

Xbox has "Teh Internets" which will add dozens of new levels from Edmund and later "best of" packs from PC user levels.

Disguises

Ugh, does this game not save unless you complete a world or something? I have to go through the whole of world 4 (and 2 yesterday) again because it didn't save :(. If it wasn't for the sale price and "t3h internets" I would've probably waited for the Wii version since the god damn xbox Dpad sucks money balls.

Disguises said:
Ugh, does this game not save unless you complete a world or something? I have to go through the whole of world 4 (and 2 yesterday) again because it didn't save :(. If it wasn't for the sale price and "t3h internets" I would've probably waited for the Wii version since the god damn xbox Dpad sucks money balls.

There's a save bug.

And use the analog.

dk_

Is there a definite release date for the PC version? When I googled I just found November, but no specific date.

dk_ said:
Is there a definite release date for the PC version? When I googled I just found November, but no specific date.

The last week of November is the most specific I've seen them mention. Also recently confirmed WiiWare version isn't making November because they're having trouble getting it <40MB.

Any tips for getting the bandage on dark world 3-19x? Only one I need to complete the chapter and its kicking my arse. When I try to jump back up to the bandage I just get murdered by the missiles

OnPoint

Wizpig said:
Also is World 3
referring to Canabalt in some levels?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTILjc2sOJM

World 3's intro is
The Adventures of Lolo

Also, it absolutely HAS to be
referring to Canabalt
. I thought the same thing when I played them.

Disguises said:

I want some of those.

HadesGigas said:
There's a save bug.

And use the analog.
I used the analog stick last night to grab a bandage on one level while waiting to watch a tv show. I feel for anyone who uses any part of the stock 360 controller on this one. I've been using the drumpad and can't imagine not using a proper dpad. I feel like a ninja with it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RadarScope1 said:
I used the analog stick last night to grab a bandage on one level while waiting to watch a tv show. I feel for anyone who uses any part of the stock 360 controller on this one. I've been using the drumpad and can't imagine not using a proper dpad. I feel like a ninja with it.
Yeah, but after 4+ hours your thumb starts to resemble Meat Boy. It's arcade stick or nothing for me.

Salsa

Update on other versions:

It sounds like a lot of you are still way into Super Meat Boy on Xbox LIVE Arcade, but what's up with the other versions? Team Meat has shot off a bunch of tweets with the answer to that question and more.

The WiiWare version needs to be compressed, due to Nintendo's restrictions for the service, so Wii owners will have to wait for now. It's not coming out in November, at the very least. PC gets Meat Boy -- and the Minecraft dude, as an unlockable -- during the last week of this month; only the Steam edition will have achievements. And Mac? "Later."

Glix

SS4Gogita said:
Analog feels funky to me in games like these. I've had no problems with the d-pad.

With the stock Dpad? Really? I can't even navigate menu's with that thing!!! Its the worst thing EVER.

I'd rather use a fucking NES MAX for this game then the stock 360 dpad.

(Wish I had a drumpad like that other guy)

Glix

SapientWolf said:
Yeah, but after 4+ hours your thumb starts to resemble Meat Boy. It's arcade stick or nothing for me.

I'm gonna actually try my HRAP EX with this when I get home, but I don't know if I can handle this kind of game with a stick...

I've tried Alien Hominid with a stick, and I fucking SUCK with it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I encountered some weird bug and accidentally ended up taking advantage of it. I kept trying to go after a bandage and even though I got it, AND beat the level with an A+, it doesn't display the little band-aid marker on the square. Since the bandage icon doesn't appear, the band-aid keeps reappearing since it doesn't register that I already got that one. What does go up is my total bandage count and the percentage completed. I tried a few more times to confirm and yep, it's a glitch. Why is this happening? All I want is for the band-aid marker to appear! Argh!

Amir0x

Banned
How does one get the 0.00 time glitch on leaderboard? I wasn't cheating at all but randomly got one 0.00 time applied to a level on the first chapter.

FUCKING FIX THIS TEAM MEAT GODDAMN

I got 100% on this earlier today. I thought I'd chime in and say that this is the best platformer I've played in over a decade. Amazing game.

Top Bottom