• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Amir0x said:
How does one get the 0.00 time glitch on leaderboard? I wasn't cheating at all but randomly got one 0.00 time applied to a level on the first chapter.

FUCKING FIX THIS TEAM MEAT GODDAMN
I think if you switch characters at the very start at the level(randomly), it'll freeze at 0.00. I'm assuming that it'll randomly just save it as 0.00 out of all the times it could happen(when it happens to me, it says 0.00, but if you beat the level, it'll give you your actual time).

Mimir

pelicansurf said:
I encountered some weird bug and accidentally ended up taking advantage of it. I kept trying to go after a bandage and even though I got it, AND beat the level with an A+, it doesn't display the little band-aid marker on the square. Since the bandage icon doesn't appear, the band-aid keeps reappearing since it doesn't register that I already got that one. What does go up is my total bandage count and the percentage completed. I tried a few more times to confirm and yep, it's a glitch. Why is this happening? All I want is for the band-aid marker to appear! Argh!
This fixed itself for me after I quit the game and started it back up.

Beezy

Oh god, I encountered those yellow glitch stages for the first time today. I was able to beat the one in the ch2, but the final part in ch1's glitch stage is retarded. It's a good thing that they don't count towards your percentage completion.

Amir0x

Banned
Beezy said:
Oh god, I encountered those yellow glitch stages for the first time today. I was able to beat the one in the ch2, but the final part in ch1's glitch stage is retarded. It's a good thing that they don't count towards your percentage completion.

They don't?

Ch1 glitch stage is a fucking BITCH. But actually the end part is really easy, if you concentrate.
All you need is to time your jump and position yourself in between the two dropping blades, and then once you're in the middle of them, it's a simple affair to time your wall jump properly to the top.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Glix said:
With the stock Dpad? Really? I can't even navigate menu's with that thing!!! Its the worst thing EVER.

I'd rather use a fucking NES MAX for this game then the stock 360 dpad.

(Wish I had a drumpad like that other guy)

Yes, with the stock d-pad. I'm at something like 146 levels completed, all with the d-pad.

Edit: Just checked. 162 levels.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Mimir said:
This fixed itself for me after I quit the game and started it back up.
it was nice while it lasted...

2pq1img.jpg

(Completion: 132%, Bandages: 44/20)

They're now considering if they should release the game on WiiWare in a somewhat inferior state or release it as a $20 retail disc.

lots of hubbub about the Wiiware delay, we are trying to gauge what we could do with the size we have without turning the game into crap

if the game had less music, lower rez and no online features. would this totally turn you away from the game?

i guess what we are asking is, if the wiiware version was clearly the least ideal version to buy, would you still buy it? or just get SMB pc

if we decided to try to find a publisher & do a boxed version for $20 (with extras) but come out later on the wii, would you hold out?
http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy

Beezy

People have problems with the dpad in this game? I hardly ever use the 360's dpad for anything, but it's perfectly fine for me wen playing this game. I could never play this with the analog stick.

Amir0x said:
They don't?

Ch1 glitch stage is a fucking BITCH. But actually the end part is really easy, if you concentrate.
All you need is to time your jump and position yourself in between the two dropping blades, and then once you're in the middle of them, it's a simple affair to time your wall jump properly to the top.
Nah, I got 100% on chapter 1 before I even knew these glitch stages existed. I'll try what you said.

Glad I don't have to settle for a gimped/late version. We're talking about a 2D game with fairly basic graphics by today's standards. Crazy to think it will be held back for arbitrary reasons in the year 2010. Nintendo really seems behind the curve when it comes to stuff like this.

RadarScope1 said:
Glad I don't have to settle for a gimped/late version. We're talking about a 2D game with fairly basic graphics by today's standards. Crazy to think it will be held back for arbitrary reasons in the year 2010. Nintendo really seems behind the curve when it comes to stuff like this.

Really all stems to Nintendo not investing in a larger flash harddrive. As a result, WiiWare needs to be less than 40mb to fit. They really can't fix that without booting from SD cards, but that won't happen, because some people don't have SD cards. So they are technically behind the curve so much this gen because when you can't update whole OSs due to poor online structure, you're stuck behind the curve for a long time.

I think it would do them good not to release a WiiWare version that is gimped, at least not as gimped as it would be if they force it to fit. Fans are already a bit annoyed that they are missing out on the earlier release and losing content, as is. If they choose a Retail version with a few extras, it might work better in their favor.

RadarScope1 said:
You only get 350 MB or something like that on the Wii to store games and saves on. Nothing they can do about it at this point.

AndyMoogle said:
You only get 350 MB or something like that on the Wii to store games and saves on. Nothing they can do about it at this point.

If Nintendo really wanted to couldn't they open up SD/USB support for running games? People can run pirated/"backed up" games off them, but Nintendo only supports a lame method where it copies the game over to internal memory instead.

AniHawk

Well this fucking blows. In the Ch5 boss fight, whenever the second thing kills itself, the game acts like I died and restarts the fight.

seady

HadesGigas said:
They're now considering if they should release the game on WiiWare in a somewhat inferior state or release it as a $20 retail disc.

http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy

I think they would do better sale-wise and quality-wise if they do a $20 retail release. I am sure a lot of people would love to have a hardcopy of the game with extra content - especially there is no retail version available for any systems.

I have the XBLA version so there is no reason to get the gimped Wiiware one, but if it is retail with a nice boxart with extra content then that's a different story.

AniHawk

Definitely deserves a retail release.

I wouldn't buy it again, but the game should hit retail. Hopefully the bugs are fixed by then too.

AniHawk

So I got back to my game, and my save data since I started today had erased. Warp zones, glitch thing, A+ runs, all gone. It was basically all of Ch5 too. Also, when I got to the Ch5 boss it was doing that weird bullshit again, and glitching out in other bad ways (like it leaped over the saws and me over to the pit area to the far left of the screen, and became the ground).

Shame, I was really enjoying this game up until Chapter 5. At the Ch6 boss now.

AniHawk

Beat it. A couple more bugs showed themselves at the last part of Chapter 6. That was a very frustrating end to a very good game. Gonna have to unwind a lot before I start Vanquish. Thinking either Kirby or Metroid Prime should do the trick.

I'd happily buy a retail version of Super Meat Boy on Wii, so long as it had some extras.

Charron said:
I'm doing The Battle of Lil' Slugger (Ch 1 Boss), Betus Blues (Ch 2 Retro), and Can o' Salt (Ch 3). Daniel is doing special remixes of all three so they work better for the game. No ETA yet.

YES! Can o' Salt is my favourite track in the game! I hoped it would make it in. :D I hope it isn't changed too much though; I love it as it is. I have to admit I wasn't all that keen on the Meatcraft remix in the OST.

I also guessed that Battle of Lil' Slugger would make it in, simply because it's such a good fit.

Out of curiosity, how are you involved with Super Meat Boy?

Davey Cakes

Amir0x said:
They don't?

I found it even simpler to just
use the right blade hitting the ground as a cue to leap over the spikes and run into the right wall. No worrying about placing yourself smack in the middle. If the timing is right, you can just make your jump, land on the right wall, and then wall jump to the top all in one motion, pretty much.

That's the thing about this game. Some challenges can be approached in different ways with different strategies based purely on timing. Visual and audio cues are just as important as the pure instincts of the player to land somewhere a certain way.

Wizpig

Beezy said:
What are those?

Luigiv

TheUnknownForce said:
Really all stems to Nintendo not investing in a larger flash harddrive. As a result, WiiWare needs to be less than 40mb to fit. They really can't fix that without booting from SD cards, but that won't happen, because some people don't have SD cards. So they are technically behind the curve so much this gen because when you can't update whole OSs due to poor online structure, you're stuck behind the curve for a long time.

I think it would do them good not to release a WiiWare version that is gimped, at least not as gimped as it would be if they force it to fit. Fans are already a bit annoyed that they are missing out on the earlier release and losing content, as is. If they choose a Retail version with a few extras, it might work better in their favor.
How little credit do you give Nintendo to make competent decisions? If Nintendo could physically boot games straight off the SD card they would have done it with firmware 4.0, people too stingy to shell out $3 for a 2GB card be damned.

The reason they don't introducing it would literally break many of the games on the service. VC and WiiWare games are designed to run off the internal flash memory which is very fast and reliable in performance, so Developers can factor the exact length of load times into their designs. By comparison, SD cards are not consistent at all, with load times varying from dog slow to tolerable, which means unless the games are designed to take in variable loading speeds into account, they won't work properly off of SD cards.

Anyway, on topic, I am disheartened to hear that the WiiWare version isn't working out for them the way they hoped. Such a shame too, given that the game was originally WiiWare exclusive to begin with. Well, guess I'll wait and see as to what happens. If we get a Gimped WiiWare version, I'll just go with the PC version. If we get that enhanced retail version, I may feel inclined to purchase that (though I don't really see that happening, given the added risk involved).

Davey Cakes

There's no point in releasing a noticeably gimped version of the game for WiiWare. It's not like this is just any multiplatform downloadable game that's missing a small feature for WiiWare, i.e. achievements. It will be a game with noticeably lower levels of quality and content. Team Meat could strip the game down and sell it for $5 even, but that's really doing the game an injustice.

I'd rather see a nice Super Meat Boy box on store shelves, honestly. If there's enough content in it, people will buy.

I love this game so much. I beat it a couple days ago, now I'm just finding bandages and warp zones that I missed, and some Dark World levels I haven't done yet. It's so fun, I've 100% the first three worlds so far, trying to do them all.

Monocle

The Kid is mine after nearly a full day of torturous effort. By far my proudest gaming achievement in this generation.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Ben2749 said:
YES! Can o' Salt is my favourite track in the game! I hoped it would make it in. :D I hope it isn't changed too much though; I love it as it is. I have to admit I wasn't all that keen on the Meatcraft remix in the OST.

I also guessed that Battle of Lil' Slugger would make it in, simply because it's such a good fit.

No idea how changed it'll be. Daniel's the composer, not me, I'm staying totally hands-off about the remixing part of the project.

Lil' Slugger was actually Edmund's "we have to do this one" track. Not that I disagree with the selection, but that was practically a foregone conclusion.

Ben2749 said:
Out of curiosity, how are you involved with Super Meat Boy?

...this is about it, really. :lol I talked with Terry Cavanaugh about the VVVVVV soundtrack, he and Edmund are friends, so Edmund wound up talking to me about the Super Meat Boy soundtrack. So now I've got six indie video game soundtrack songs to do for Rock Band. Just kinda happened. Don't have any special connections or anything, I just do a thing that they're interested in. (And something Magnus and Daniel were willing to participate in.)

lowrider007 said:
ARGHHHHHHHHH.jpg

AGHHHHHHHHH!!!, seriously, this section on 6-5 is such a pain in the ass, been trying this for 4 hours now, I can get to this point with my eyes closed now but getting down from there is soooo hard :-(

Absolute torture, that one. Until you start to check out Dark World levels and off course, teh internets. Fucking trolls. :lol

I eventually did it by doing the 'halfway push jump' from side to side and then was (finally!) able to finish the level. Very, very carefully. :')

It's a good thing I check in advance whether my game saves (it did that to me twice), because shit would gotten real if it hadn't saved that one.

I do find the whole "will he jump?" at times to be very frustrating. It doesn't really help that the height of the jump is determined by the same action. In particular the 'half push' is hard to get right in a hurry.

For me it is anyway.

Kamillio

Neo Member
Well, on my quest to 100 percent this game, the road is getting more and more difficult. I've managed to 100% the light world without too much trouble, only missing a few A+ ranks. But I'm only on world 3 dark and it's ramping up fast. FEELS GOOD MAN

weepy

Is there any way I can save the game manually without the autosave feature? I just returned to my gave with almost half of my A levels gone. Color me upset...

lowrider007 said:
ARGHHHHHHHHH.jpg

AGHHHHHHHHH!!!, seriously, this section on 6-5 is such a pain in the ass, been trying this for 4 hours now, I can get to this point with my eyes closed now but getting down from there is soooo hard :-(

All you have to do is jump to the little bit of the side platform Meat Boy is standing on in the photo, then slide down, and easily avoid the buzzsaws.

Top Bottom