• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I heard of this bandage glitch, but this is just... weird. I collected a bandage, unlocked Tim from Braid and when I returned to the main menu the level didn't have a marker on it. Returned, and I could get the same bandage again. And again. Wow. And this counts towards my total. It's baffling how this got into the game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
thanks team meat for the coming patch and new levels.

are there some PC games a bit like this to play? Allthese characters, do they come from good games?

Wizpig

Creamium said:
I heard of this bandage glitch, but this is just... weird. I collected a bandage, unlocked Tim from Braid and when I returned to the main menu the level didn't have a marker on it. Returned, and I could get the same bandage again. And again. Wow. And this counts towards my total. It's baffling how this got into the game.
Yeah well return to dashboard, the game actually stopped saving a lot of time ago.

I don't think the game can become broken where you can find, say, 99 bandages but the 100th one is glitched... or something like that.
Am i wrong?

I've really been enjoying the game although I already know I'm not skilled enough to get 100%. One thing I think the developers have done a great job on is adjusting the scale of difficulty as you work your way through the game.

Mike M

Nick N
My wife is sooooo sick of the stream of obscenities I unleash upon this game.

Making slow progress. So far I've 100%'d chapters 1 and 2, and at least got A+ rankings on Chapter 3's Light World levels. Still at least 5 bandages to get (1 I'm pretty sure will need Ogmo to get, it doesn't seem even possible with Meat Boy. 3 in warp zones. 1 in that level where the key is behind Bandage Girl in a very tight space and then you have to backtrack past the rocket launcher ), think I'm going to tackle those before moving on.

I can't help but wonder how long I can keep up 100%ing each chapter. Everything has been doable so far, but it's getting to the point where I'm dying a lot more in the Light World and dying a WHOLE lot more in the Dark World levels, and it's only chapter 3. Amazingly thus far I haven't felt much frustration, but that may change...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mike M said:
My wife is sooooo sick of the stream of obscenities I unleash upon this game.

Making slow progress. So far I've 100%'d chapters 1 and 2, and at least got A+ rankings on Chapter 3's Light World levels. Still at least 5 bandages to get (1 I'm pretty sure will need Ogmo to get, it doesn't seem even possible with Meat Boy. 3 in warp zones. 1 in that level where the key is behind Bandage Girl in a very tight space and then you have to backtrack past the rocket launcher ), think I'm going to tackle those before moving on.

I can't help but wonder how long I can keep up 100%ing each chapter. Everything has been doable so far, but it's getting to the point where I'm dying a lot more in the Light World and dying a WHOLE lot more in the Dark World levels, and it's only chapter 3. Amazingly thus far I haven't felt much frustration, but that may change...

I played like that, then I switched to 'OK, beat light world' -> Now unlock an entire world of dark world. Now beat dark world. Now go and find all those bandages.

Also, for 100% must you A+ the dark world?

Mike M

Nick N
Preeeeety sure you just need to beat the level in Dark World, but I could be wrong. I know Glitch levels don't count, which is good, because I still can't beat those.

My strategy of getting 100% before moving on may have hit a significant snag though, there's that level where the bandage is clear up on the ceiling with the moving saw blade launchers on the far right hand wall. Pretty sure you need The Kid's double jump? Or maybe Alien Hominid and a turbo fire button...

You don't have to get A+ ranks in the Dark World to get 100%. But are you really willing to settle for anything less? Besides, I didn't find many A+ ranks all that difficult once you get the knack down for beating a level. Dark World levels in particular, are often easier if you're fast.

saelz8 said:
Team Meat Twitter - Attention Internets: The Steam Version of Super Meat Boy will have 30+ achievements! all legit, most rejected by MS for their difficulty.

As if I needed any more of a reason to double-dip. I've beat the game completely, so I wonder if there will be any achievements that call for even more than that. Maybe beat the whole game within a certain amount of deaths? Or beat a whole chapter within a time limit?

To be honest though, I wouldn't even need any extras to convince me to double dip. The game is so damn good that I'll happily jump at any excuse to start over from scratch. Hell, if the Wii version isn't horribly gimped (which, according to the official website, it seems it will be unless it gets a full retail release), I'll even triple dip.

EDIT: Oh man, according to the SuperMeatBoy twitter, the PC/Mac versions will have "Iron Boy" achievements for every chapter. Holy shit. I tip my hat to anybody who can get all of those, especially if there's one for
Cotton Alley

Beezy

I don't get this game sometimes. In chapter 4 (hell), I got A+ on every light and dark stage, beat all 4 warps and got all 20 bandages. I even beat the glitch level. Yet it says 98% complete.

Did this happen to anyone else?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Beezy said:
I don't get this game sometimes. In chapter 4 (hell), I got A+ on every light and dark stage, beat all 4 warps and got all 20 bandages. I even beat the glitch level. Yet it says 98% complete.

Did this happen to anyone else?

just wait for the patch. nearly here.

I had a breakthrough last night, I didn't beat the first kid level yet, but I made it to the very last jump 3 times (and lost my nerve) but I'm reasonably sure I can deal with the 2 columns of doom with a reasonable success rate now, so now it's just a matter of calming down and doing it, which I will do next time I have a chance to play meatboy.

I'm slowly coming to believe that I can actually 100% this thing.

Davey Cakes

I've completed a large chunk of the game. Beat The End's light world and played a tiny bit of Cotton Alley. Unlocked all but four characters. I've completed 100% of Worlds 1, 2, and 3, and I'm currently working on 4. Basically, I'm just going world by world now, finishing everything in each one before moving on.

This game is really fun and satisfying. It provides and interesting combination of enjoyment and frustration (pleasure and pain). I was nearly addicted today, and had to force myself to stop. Sometimes it hurts to play this game, yet I always need more, and always need to finish what I start. It's like gaming crack, honestly, and I haven't experienced a game like this for a long time. You can say I was addicted to, for example, Super Mario Galaxy 2, but that was in a bit of a different way.

Obviously, playing SMB reminds me of a couple of years ago when I played through Jumper and Jumper 2. Those games were addictive for me as well. I'm just the kind of guy who loves platforming games, and I do have a soft spot for the challenging ones.

Also, I'm still loving that I paid just 10 dollars for Super Meat Boy. Such a great value.

FerranMG

I'm working my way towards beating dark world (ie, completing 65 dark world stages).

I did 100% world 1, 2 and 3, but there are already a few stages in world 4 that are kicking my butt badly.
Mind you, I beat C.A., and I got the Kid. But there's some shit in The Hell's Dark World that fucking kills my patience.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got to the final boss (light world) last night. World 5 is incredible. I didn't like ch4 all that much, but ch5 introduces a new mechanic or enemy every few stages (gotta love those repulsors) and has some really well designed levels. I completed world 6 faster than I thought, but the boss is giving me somewhat of a headache.

I've yet to play a bunch of what came out this year, but it's gonna be really hard to top this as my goty. Platforming perfection. And so much content.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Creamium said:
I got to the final boss (light world) last night. World 5 is incredible. I didn't like ch4 all that much, but ch5 introduces a new mechanic or enemy every few stages (gotta love those repulsors) and has some really well designed levels. I completed world 6 faster than I thought, but the boss is giving me somewhat of a headache.

I've yet to play a bunch of what came out this year, but it's gonna be really hard to top this as my goty. Platforming perfection. And so much content.

I actually hate them and fans. Makes speed running for A+ feel so random

Amir0x

Banned
Wizpig said:
Probably a Goo ball from World of Goo as a PC character?

Btw:

THANK FUCKING GOD.

I actually stopped playing at World 4 because I didn't want to accidentally upload anymore 0.0 scores. I beat all levels and collected all bandages up to this point so let's DO THIS

Nose Master

Unlocked the darkworld boss after a few hours today. Level itself is fairly simple (compared to some of the darkworld turret levels :lol). Never gonna 100% this game, but the dark world boss level should be easy enough.

Does fetus ever actually get close enough to hit you? I've never gotten hit by one of his rockets, ever.

eek5

man.. i can only play 3-4 levels at a time max before i either rage too much or my hand cramps up :lol

i'm pretty sure i'm going to be in never going to 100% this game crew :(

Mike M

Nick N
Knuckled down last night and swept the remaining Light World bandages of the Salt Factory. Had a few "Ah ha!" moments there as I figured out how to use the nuances of the physics to make seemingly impossible grabs.

The bandage in The Grundle turned out to be ludicrously easy, but the tile set for the third chapter doesn't do a great job at times of differentiating between ceilings that are solid and which ones are only in the background. If I hadn't accidentally jumped up through a gap in a different level, I never would have known that the trick in The Grundel is to head outside the building and drop in from above the bandage.

I think I've settled for getting 100% on the Light World before tackling the dark, then repeating for the next chapter if only for grabbing all the bandages and unlocking more characters earlier in the game.

eek5 said:
man.. i can only play 3-4 levels at a time max before i either rage too much or my hand cramps up :lol

i'm pretty sure i'm going to be in never going to 100% this game crew :(
same. 15-20 minutes is about my threshold for playing. i have to be careful not to pass the point of "pissed off" into "pissed off and repeatedly trying the same fucking thing that isn't fucking working but it fucking worked the first goddamn time i just got really unlucky on that last jump and fucking goddamnit!"

weepy said:
Is there any way I can save the game manually without the autosave feature?

It's been reported (and my experience backs this up so far, but don't take this as gospel) that the game forces an autosave whenever you choose "save replay" after beating a game, thereby locking in any content you've cleared up to that point. I just save replays after every level and go delete them later.

Rabbitwork said:
same. 15-20 minutes is about my threshold for playing.

I've been actually making much more total progress since I started playing in 20 minute increments. :lol

Monocle

The Kid is so great for earning those elusive A+'s. Even though he's slower than Meatboy, his double jump makes a lot of the tricky bits a breeze. That added bit of maneuverability makes a huge difference.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Going to jump back into this once the patch is out. Doing a bandage run through light/dark up to world 6 or i was until the bugs.

noquarter

Just picked this up and was playing it. Guess I should have looked in here or online more before buying it, that damn bandage glitch has caused me to have to replay all of Hell and now I'm going to have to replay some more random stuff from today.

Like the game other than that. Hopefully the patch comes out soon.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
interesting...a very up close interview towards the end

It sucks they gotta jam the game into such a small file for the wiiware version, hopefully they can do something special for it to stand out

They should just go retail man, fuck the 39 megs.

Retail + added multiplayer or something. Something really cool and exclusive to justify price.

SalsaShark said:
They should just go retail man, fuck the 39 megs.

Retail + added multiplayer or something. Something really cool and exclusive to justify price.

They already tried multiplayer for the Xbox version and said "it wasn't fun".

Salsa

HadesGigas said:
They already tried multiplayer for the Xbox version and said "it wasn't fun".

Yeah i know, but im just trying to think what could justify retail price. Im predicting they are gonna go with that. The idea of compressing the game to 40 megs is just impossible.

I've been slowly working my way thru the game since getting it at launch, not having too much trouble getting A+'s in all Light and Dark Worlds with Meat Boy and collecting a ton of bandages, but I think I've finally my match with the last 3 or 4 Dark World levels in World 5 "The Rapture" ...absolutely brutal

That interview is hilarious. :lol

SalsaShark said:
Yeah i know, but im just trying to think what could justify retail price. Im predicting they are gonna go with that. The idea of compressing the game to 40 megs is just impossible.

They could release it as a budget game, and add an extra chapter or two. I think that would more than justify the slight price increase.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the light world yesterday, halfway through dark and almost completed the bandage girl stages. I'm trying to unlock The Kid now, I'm amazed I almost made to the end of the first level already.

There are moments while playing this game when I consider it the best platformer I've played, maybe ever. There is so much painful fun to be had in this game, I love it to bits.

Captain Viridian from VVVVVV confirmed for PC version!

And Terry Cavanagh is going to make a new chapter.

vvvvvv.jpg.jpg

FerranMG

Finally beat the Dark World Boss.

I've got all the achievements except the one about getting 100% done. Right now I'm not even thinking about doing that, I've already suffered too much beating some dark world levels. :D

Best game I've played this year, absolute GOTY so far. Loved every bit of it.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
HadesGigas said:
Captain Viridian from VVVVVV confirmed for PC version!

And Terry Cavanagh is going to make a new chapter.

*sigh* FINE. I'll buy the game twice. Bastards.

Watch, they're gonna add a TF2 hat or something now.

Ganondorfo

This game has maybe the best videogame soundtrack of the year, damn why cant every videogame have amazing music like this one.

Nabs

Charron said:
*sigh* FINE. I'll buy the game twice. Bastards.

Watch, they're gonna add a TF2 hat or something now.

they did say something about an extra for steam fans. that would be awesome (and probably get them a shit ton of sales).

Top Bottom