• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Apoc29

I got The Kid. Didn't do it all in one go, that would be too torturous. I found that the more times I beat the first Kid stage, the easier and more fun it became, despite how many tries it took to get it in the first place. Now that I've finally beaten all 3, I feel a sense of emptiness, like now my skill at beating the first stage is wasted since I don't have to do it anymore :(.

TheExodu5

Banned
Apoc29 said:
I got The Kid. Didn't do it all in one go, that would be too torturous. I found that the more times I beat the first Kid stage, the easier and more fun it became, despite how many tries it took to get it in the first place. Now that I've finally beaten all 3, I feel a sense of emptiness, like now my skill at beating the first stage is wasted since I don't have to do it anymore :(.

I beat it all in one go last night, and proceeded to do all of Rapture + The End afterward. My hands were hurting so badly.

MjFrancis

Beezy said:
3 face buttons? All you need is X for run and A to jump. Keep the tip of your thumb on X and use your joint to press A. Dpad control is much better than analog in this game imo.
Well, I've been playing this game all wrong then. I'll try out the Rock Band controller this evening, thanks.

Beezy

catfish said:
so anyone found much use for the extra characters apart from meatboy yet?

I've found about MAX 4 bandages that require the kid or tim to get, but found 0 use for bit trip runner, alien hominid (don't even know how to use him) or gish.
I've had to use bit.trip, Jill, and Tim for a few bandages. That's about it. There's also a later stage that I was able to get through in like a second with Spelunky.

Why were people so upset about the World 4 boss again? After feeling repeatedly brutalized by the regular levels it seemed really straightforward and easy to me. :lol

Davey Cakes

Nekobo said:
I love this game. I've only had my 360 for less than two months, but this is already my favorite game so far.
I've been playing an X360 since 2006 and I think Super Meat Boy is one of the best games I've played on it.

I'm generally unimpressed with the typical X360 fare, which is why SMB stands out. It's just my kind of game. Seeing as it's pretty much an upgraded flash game, I find it quite simple compared to the heavy-hitting superhyped AAA games, yet I also find it as compelling if not more so.

Beezy

9 stages, 3 warp zones, and 6 bandages until I've done everything in this game. Currently ranked 501 on the leaderboards. I'm trying to beat everything and hopefully break 100 on the leaderboards by tomorrow.

Beezy

Um... how many levels are in this game? I only have a few things left to do, but there's no way that my total levels beat are gonna add up to 305 or 307. Did everyone in the top 100 glitch the game or is there something I'm not seeing?

Edit: Wtf? My total levels beat just jumped from 288 to 299. Whatever, as long as I break 100.

I AM JOHN! said:
So... anyone have any advice for how to open the Warp Zone in 2-12?

When you get the key all the way to the right, a key will fall to the left of the platform where the warp is, you have to time your jump right to get the key as it is falling.

Keyser Soze said:
When you get the key all the way to the right, a key will fall to the left of the platform where the warp is, you have to time your jump right to get the key as it is falling.
Aw man, you're a hero. <3

Relatedly, is there any way to get the Warp Zone in 3-7 as Meat Boy? I was able to do it as CommanderVideo (and it's the only time I've ever used a character other than Meat Boy for anything), but I'd really love to know if there's some awesome guy who managed to get it as him.

I AM JOHN! said:
Relatedly, is there any way to get the Warp Zone in 3-7 as Meat Boy? I was able to do it as CommanderVideo (and it's the only time I've ever used a character other than Meat Boy for anything), but I'd really love to know if there's some awesome guy who managed to get it as him.

Ahahaha, I'd like to know that too. I think that's the only time I've switched characters for anything too.

Kreed

Mike M said:
Alien Hominid does seem nigh useless, though I imagine he might be slightly less so if you used a turbo button for his power?

Alien Hominid's power is really useful on devices that propel you into the air, like the fans and the treadmills (you just have to be careful not to over do it and fly off the screen).

Beezy

Finally did every single thing that there is to do in this game. I didn't have anymore save problems, but it says I only beat 302 levels. Why does this game hate me? I should be like 70-80 on the leaderboards now. :(

Is there a glitch stage for Cotton Alley?

Beezy said:
Finally did every single thing that there is to do in this game. I didn't have anymore save problems, but it says I only beat 302 levels. Why does this game hate me? I should be like 70-80 on the leaderboards now. :(

Is there a glitch stage for Cotton Alley?
Are you SURE that you've done all warp zones? Even if a world says 100%, doesn't mean that you've actually done everything if you've encountered the bandage glitch at one point.

Beezy

AndyMoogle said:
Are you SURE that you've done all warp zones? Even if a world says 100%, doesn't mean that you've actually done everything if you've encountered the bandage glitch at one point.
I'll check again, but yeah I think so. How else would I have got all 101 bandages and unlocked every character? I've never encountered the bandage glitch either.

POWERSPHERE said:
I played this and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's basically just N+, right?

no

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
POWERSPHERE said:
I played this and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's basically just N+, right?

smells like lies

Beezy

So I just checked. I got 2 bandages in 3 warps in the first 5 worlds. I also have every character so I had to complete the character warps in each world. I also got the bandage in Cotton Alley. I did all 6 glitch levels and and got A+ on every light and dark level in each world. Yet the leaderboards show that I only completed 302 stages.

This shit is... fucking ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Beezy said:
I'll check again, but yeah I think so. How else would I have got all 101 bandages and unlocked every character? I've never encountered the bandage glitch either.

you 'ave!

you 1 page ago said:
This is the 3rd or 4th FUCKING time that this shit didn't save for me. This time it happened after I beat the first 12 Cotton Alley stages in the dark world, all stages that I never wanted to play again. I don't know what I keep doing to trigger this shit. My fingers and wrist are in pain for nothing. I would've probably got 100% already if it wasn't for this bullshit.

that's the glitch right there. I have 102% on the forest. I really got 100% but now have 102% with no way to solve it until the patch.

If I was you I'd just keep looking, wait for the patch, then review. Not sure anyone knows the exact specifications of the glitch.

Beezy

catfish said:
you 'ave!

that's the glitch right there. I have 102% on the forest. I really got 100% but now have 102% with no way to solve it until the patch.

If I was you I'd just keep looking, wait for the patch, then review. Not sure anyone knows the exact specifications of the glitch.
Damn, I guess I have no choice but to wait for the patch. Bandages aren't levels though, so it still makes no sense to me. I'm gonna be gone for about 2 weeks after tonight, that's why I wanted to complete this game so quickly and rank in the top 100. Hopefully it gets patched by the time I get back.

MjFrancis

Update on my Rock Band controller usage... works like a charm, and I'm finally playing the game in a fashion befitting it's heritage. Feels good.

What doesn't feel good are the two small blisters I've suffered on each ring finger. The controller is small, and I suppose I'm gripping it far too tightly. Game gets me tense! But it's more manageable now that I'm not trying to use both the X button and the right trigger. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
since I never play SFIV anymore I started using my modified SE stick to play this, surprisingly good.

So I unlocked 'THE INTERNETS" today.

Noticed 2 uploaded worlds. Entered the first, 360 froze. Went back and the first was gone... :(
MjFrancis said:
Update on my Rock Band controller usage... works like a charm, and I'm finally playing the game in a fashion befitting it's heritage. Feels good.

What doesn't feel good are the two small blisters I've suffered on each ring finger. The controller is small, and I suppose I'm gripping it far too tightly. Game gets me tense! But it's more manageable now that I'm not trying to use both the X button and the right trigger. :lol
Where can I buy this?

Matll

POWERSPHERE said:

Pretty much my thoughts. I 100% Super Meat Boy a while ago and apart from the useless alternate characters and the lack of multiplayer this is pretty much N+. Then again both of them are excellent games but imo N+ is slightly better.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Matll said:
Pretty much my thoughts. I 100% Super Meat Boy a while ago and apart from the useless alternate characters and the lack of multiplayer this is pretty much N+. Then again both of them are excellent games but imo N+ is slightly better.
The Kid and Tim are actually useful.

SMB tends to be a lot more puzzel-y than N+, because the path through isn't always obvious at a first glance. There's a discovery phase to the level, and new objects and mechanics are introduced throughout the campaign.

vermadas

I thought the controls in N+ were tighter, but with the small sacrifice in control you gain a lot more speed and agility with Meat Boy.

Meat Boy has a much more varied color palette. Though this isn't always to its benefit, as some levels use a background color scheme that does not contrast with the foreground enough. I think I noticed this the most in Hell.

I think Meat Boy has more creative level design.

Meat Boy's soundtrack is eons better than N+.

N+ has co-op, Meat Boy does not.

The death animations for the N+ ninja are much more satisfying (and sometimes laugh inducing) than Meat Boy's blood splat.

Beezy

The floaty controls in N+ never feel as precise as SMB's controls. I feel like I have complete control over everything I do in SMB. Also, SMB actually has some type of personality and humor, better music, and a better art style. I can't compare level design because I only got like halfway through N+ before I stopped playing.

I just found that if you hold run and jump when Gish touches a ceiling, he can "glide" across the ceiling for an unlimited amount of time (he drops when you release one of the buttons). That makes him a bit more useful than I previously thought, as while it's rare you'd need to stick to a wall, being able to travel across ceilings might help with a few stages.

GWX

There's a run/dash button in this game? Makes sense I guess, the best way to fix the super sensitive controls of the flash version (that I played so much, despite the issues). Well, I'll get used to it.

Glix

Holy crap. Took out kid level one this morning (XBOX is on and at home lol). I never thought I would be able to do it, what a sense of accomplishment.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
see5harp said:
Seriously...going from Super Meat Boy to that game was a terrible terrible experience.
yeah :/ I purchased it with my other 800 to make up the special for october. Oh well, I got pinball FX out of it as well and pinball fx was worth 1600 imo, so no big loss.

N+ seems OK, but meatboy is just so awesome to control and fast that the floaty-ness is really bothersome for me in N+, couldn't play more than a minute of it. Maybe once I 100% meatboy.

see5harp

catfish said:
yeah :/ I purchased it with my other 800 to make up the special for october. Oh well, I got pinball FX out of it as well and pinball fx was worth 1600 imo, so no big loss.

N+ seems OK, but meatboy is just so awesome to control and fast that the floaty-ness is really bothersome for me in N+, couldn't play more than a minute of it. Maybe once I 100% meatboy.

Luckily I played the demo first, and yes Pinball FX2 is good.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I may buy a Bluetooth controller and get my Classic Controller Pro working for PC for SMB. Other than buying an adapter for one of my SNES controllers, it would seem like the best fit.

Top Bottom