• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Salsa

HadesGigas said:
Captain Viridian from VVVVVV confirmed for PC version!

And Terry Cavanagh is going to make a new chapter.

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/files/assets/000/073/158/header_wide/vvvvvv.jpg.jpg[/ img][/QUOTE]

Came to post this. So awesome.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Mr Minecraft had me thinking of who any new secret characters would be on the Wii. Nintendo supposedly came to Team Meat before they even started a commercial sequel so they obviously have a high opinion of them.

Would Nintendo even allow any of their properties to be used like Mario or Wario, who can fart-jump. I've read they declined Team Meat's offer of Reggie as a character too.

Salsa

Thnikkaman said:
Mr Minecraft had me thinking of who any new secret characters would be on the Wii. Nintendo supposedly came to Team Meat before they even started a commercial sequel so they obviously have a high opinion of them.

Would Nintendo even allow any of their properties to be used like Mario or Wario, who can fart-jump. I've read they declined Team Meat's offer of Reggie as a character too.

I doubt we'll see Nintendo characters.

GWX

Thnikkaman said:
You're probably right, but it's nice to dream.

They should put Kirby in. Special ability: can't die.

but seriously, it would be awesome if it had Nintendo characters

Glix

Is Super Meat Boy a victim of its awesome cameos?

I haven't played it in over a week, ever since it led me to BIT.TRIP.RUNNER. BTR might have even BETTER music than SMB if that is even possible.

OnPoint

Glix said:
Is Super Meat Boy a victim of its awesome cameos?

I haven't played it in over a week, ever since it led me to BIT.TRIP.RUNNER. BTR might have even BETTER music than SMB if that is even possible.

In my opinion it BTR definitely has better music, but they're different styles for different types of games. SMB has an incredible soundtrack.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finally in the mans club for real men.

The kid unlocked! Shit that was a nightmare, by the time I actually made it to the top level on level 3, I did it first go, I spent sooo much time getting the 2nd layer/level of level 3 sorted.

My xbox stayed on for a whole weekend cause I passed level 1

Thnikkaman said:

Considering there's some pretty risque content in Super Meat Boy (a rather excessive amount of blood/violence, Dr. Fetus, Jill's origins/cutscene, etc), I doubt Nintendo would be willing to associate any of their characters with it.

Besides, I doubt Nintendo would be willing to lend out their characters for an indie game like this. Super Meat Boy has definitely performed above expectations, but it's nowhere near popular enough to warrant the inclusion of Mario/Kirby/etc.

HadesGigas said:
Captain Viridian from VVVVVV confirmed for PC version!

And Terry Cavanagh is going to make a new chapter.
vresize.png

Nessus

My Xbox 360 S decided to start working again, so I've been sparingly playing Super Meat Boy for an hour or less each night.

God damn the dark world levels are hard. And the requirements for A+ on some light world levels seem almost impossible, even on the first world.

I am absolutely in love with retro gaming this gen.

Between this, Limbo, Braid, Bit.Trip Runner, Contra Rebirth, and upcoming Retro City Rampage this is shaping up to be my favorite gen since SNES/Genesis.

Nessus

Ben2749 said:
Considering there's some pretty risque content in Super Meat Boy (a rather excessive amount of blood/violence, Dr. Fetus, Jill's origins/cutscene, etc), I doubt Nintendo would be willing to associate any of their characters with it.

Besides, I doubt Nintendo would be willing to lend out their characters for an indie game like this. Super Meat Boy has definitely performed above expectations, but it's nowhere near popular enough to warrant the inclusion of Mario/Kirby/etc.

Yeah, I was thinking if anything a character like Jett Rocket would be far more likely. The theme is definitely small/indie devs, not 800 pound mascots.

Platy

Is it wrong that i want to get this game because of Gish, Commander Video, Castle Crasher dude, Captain Viridian and Commander Video ?
and maybe a little bit more of Commander Video xD

Salsa

Maybe a TF2 character for PC version ? :lol not indie but i'd dig it

I could see them do the whole "pre-order get a TF2 item!" thing if the Telltale Poker game wasnt coming so soon.

Anyone get the bandage in 2-6X? It's all-black with the red background and fan RIGHT above the bandage. Can't get enough downward momentum to carry me straight down through the current.

nvm - Got it. Figures. As soon as I post...

I stood above and to the right of the fan. Jumped up and dropped. You just have to cut it close to the blades...

JEKKI

5-1 warp zone stage...

arrrgh~!!!!

finally beat it after retry after retry after retry for like an hour???

I also beat "The Kid" warp zone, which was like 100x easier than 5-1 warp >_<

Beezy

Chapter 5's dark world and warpzones are kicking my ass. I only have 4 more dark stages to do but haven't had the patience to complete any of the warps. What makes it even worse is that they have the last 6 bandaids that I need. :(

Besides that, I have 3 dark stages in chapter 6 to complete, 2 glitch stages, and the dark world of Cotton Alley. That's gonna be torture. I A+ every stage that I do btw. Never settle for less. Hopefully I can break the top 100 on the leaderboards when I'm done with everything. I'm ranked in the 900s and 93% done with the game atm.

MjFrancis

I bought this game after downloading the XBLA demo, and I have to say I'm quite satisfied. I enjoy a solid platformer from time to time, but the indie hype train was quite the hurdle to get past before I would even get this game a shot. I'm glad I did.

I spent roughly two hours and under 500 lives (holy shit) just going through the first level (light & dark) and most of the second level. I can't tell you the last game I played where my thumbs were left so sore after such a length of time. Obtaining all of the achievements will be a pleasure, granted I'm not thwarted by the time the later levels arrive. It's amazing to thing how difficult the Steam achievements will be! As most people in this thread have noted, the game is insanely difficult but appropriately rewarding. Since the levels don't last long, dying isn't as frustrating as it would be in other games - it makes the game relatively more accessible, while still retaining it's tough-as-nail mechanics for speed runners and such.

The controls are a big part of the learning curve in this game - at the end of two hours of play, I'm finally getting a solid feel for how the analog stick handles. I would try out my properly d-pad-equipped Rock Band controller, but the right trigger seems really necessary, rather than fumbling my way through three face buttons all of the time. It might be worth it to check it out if anyone else here has had success with this setup on Super Meat Boy.

I'm hoping the Wii release is disc-based, because I won't think twice about double-dipping if it is.

Beezy

MjFrancis said:
The controls are a big part of the learning curve in this game - at the end of two hours of play, I'm finally getting a solid feel for how the analog stick handles. I would try out my properly d-pad-equipped Rock Band controller, but the right trigger seems really necessary, rather than fumbling my way through three face buttons all of the time. It might be worth it to check it out if anyone else here has had success with this setup on Super Meat Boy.
3 face buttons? All you need is X for run and A to jump. Keep the tip of your thumb on X and use your joint to press A. Dpad control is much better than analog in this game imo.

Beezy said:
3 face buttons? All you need is X for run and A to jump. Keep the tip of your thumb on X and use your joint to press A. Dpad control is much better than analog in this game imo.

Exactly. Part of the rush of this game is that is builds perfectly on the run/walk/jump mechanic first brought to us by Miyamoto in 1985. Satisfying then, just as satisfying now. Fucking classic. :D

Beezy

This is the 3rd or 4th FUCKING time that this shit didn't save for me. This time it happened after I beat the first 12 Cotton Alley stages in the dark world, all stages that I never wanted to play again. I don't know what I keep doing to trigger this shit. My fingers and wrist are in pain for nothing. I would've probably got 100% already if it wasn't for this bullshit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Beezy said:
This is the 3rd or 4th FUCKING time that this shit didn't save for me. This time it happened after I beat the first 12 Cotton Alley stages in the dark world, all stages that I never wanted to play again. I don't know what I keep doing to trigger this shit. My fingers and wrist are in pain for nothing. I would've probably got 100% already if it wasn't for this bullshit.

you keep getting a bandage and then dying.

Seriously, if you get a bandage and then die without completing the level, save yourself the trouble and keep playing that level until you've completed the level with bandage then quit back to the home screen.

Beezy

catfish said:
you keep getting a bandage and then dying.

Seriously, if you get a bandage and then die without completing the level, save yourself the trouble and keep playing that level until you've completed the level with bandage then quit back to the home screen.
*smacks forehead*

I was trying the warpzone in 5-1 before I gave up and went to Cotton Alley. FUCK!

I'm beating this game tomorrow.

datamage

Bah, I finally got around to buying this today, and now I think I should've waited for the Steam version. (Had no idea about the extra characters.)

Game was quite a surprise however. Love it! :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
datamage said:
Bah, I finally got around to buying this today, and now I think I should've waited for the Steam version. (Had no idea about the extra characters.)

Game was quite a surprise however. Love it! :D

but apparently xbox live has the extra content (teh internets)

Salsa

catfish said:
but apparently xbox live has the extra content (teh internets)

Pretty sure those will be recreated (if not released by Team Meat themselves) with the PC level editor.

PC version is the definitive version, there's no way around it. Having it one month earlier for Xbox owners was still worth it though.

JEKKI

I beat Chapter 5, skipped the dark stages and went straight to chapter 6.

man, it's almost insulting how easy chapter 6 is after all the crap the rest of the game puts you thru o_O

Atomski

Stackboy said:
I'm going to double up and buy the PC version as well. One of my fave games of the year.

Think I may double dip as well. I want to see how it runs on my laptop though. Hopefully there will be a demo.

Any word on 360 patch yet? I want to go back and get bandages but got annoyed with save bug.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Pretty sure those will be recreated (if not released by Team Meat themselves) with the PC level editor.

PC version is the definitive version, there's no way around it. Having it one month earlier for Xbox owners was still worth it though.

I dunno

The PC and Mac versions of the game will have a level editor at some point. My personal goal is to get the Editor out no more than 6 months after the PC version ships. I want it to be good and easy to use. One of the things we are planning on doing is a “Best of User Made Levels” pack for the Internets where Ed and I pick out our favorite user made levels and put them in the Internets.

sounds like users will be making them on the PC and it will get released on xbox....

Q: Will the internets levels be playable on the pc?

A: Once the level editor is out all user made chapters and bonus levels released there after will be avalible for download free of charge.

sounds like xbox gets the most content for quite a while however much later the PC levels will pickup. I love the game (one of the best of the year) but I don't know if I'll be playing it 6 months after release still on the PC.

link here

http://supermeatboy.com/38/Teh_Internets_/

catfish said:
I dunno

sounds like users will be making them on the PC and it will get released on xbox....

sounds like xbox gets the most content for quite a while however much later the PC levels will pickup. I love the game (one of the best of the year) but I don't know if I'll be playing it 6 months after release still on the PC.

link here

http://supermeatboy.com/38/Teh_Internets_/

PC will be the best version once the level editor is out. The Xbox exclusive levels will be able to be remade in the editor if someone wanted to go to the trouble of doing so, just that contractually Ed can't do it himself. This is assuming there is a replacement "sticky" character in the PC version for Gish, since there will be a Gish chapter that requires stickiness.

Also there will be a VVVVVV themed chapter for PC made by the guy who made VVVVVV.

SpacLock

HadesGigas said:
PC will be the best version once the level editor is out. The Xbox exclusive levels will be able to be remade in the editor if someone wanted to go to the trouble of doing so, just that contractually Ed can't do it himself. This is assuming there is a replacement "sticky" character in the PC version for Gish, since there will be a Gish chapter that requires stickiness.

Also there will be a VVVVVV themed chapter for PC made by the guy who made VVVVVV.

People who like to play on the couch - XBLA is the best version.
People who don't mind where they play - PC is the best version.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
how? it seems like a pain to drag your PC all the way over to next to your couch

do you use extension cords?

PC is in desk next to HDTV. I can still use it with a 19 inch monitor without moving it (wich is why im doing now since the TV is in the living room, just using a regular CTR TV in the room since i just have a Wii).

I like my PC gaming to be close anyway. I was just saying that the couch shenanigans isnt really relevant at this point.

HadesGigas said:
This is assuming there is a replacement "sticky" character in the PC version for Gish, since there will be a Gish chapter that requires stickiness.

Gish isn't in the PC version? Why? Because he's such a well known Xbox mascot? :S

MrNyarlathotep said:
Gish isn't in the PC version? Why? Because he's such a well known Xbox mascot? :S

The six characters you unlock with bandages are exclusive to each version. Having exclusive characters was apparently also part of the deal with MS, so they decided to give all three versions exclusive characters to be fair.

As for why he chose to put Gish in the XBLA version, I don't know. I'm figuring a gooball from World of Goo will replace him in either the PC or Wii version.

OMG Aero

HadesGigas said:
This is assuming there is a replacement "sticky" character in the PC version for Gish, since there will be a Gish chapter that requires stickiness.
They said on Twitter that one of the new PC characters will have Gish's sticky abilities.
It'll probably be a goo ball from World of Goo or something.

HadesGigas said:
The six characters you unlock with bandages are exclusive to each version. Having exclusive characters was apparently also part of the deal with MS, so they decided to give all three versions exclusive characters to be fair.

As for why he chose to put Gish in the XBLA version, I don't know. I'm figuring a gooball from World of Goo will replace him in either the PC or Wii version.

Seems really odd to have a game that is such a part of the PC indie scene to have XBLA exclusives of games that have never been available outside of the PC.

A gooball makes more sense for the Wii if thats the case (as at least the wii has WoG).
I guess the little dude from Lost Winds would make a good Wii character too.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Seems really odd to have a game that is such a part of the PC indie scene to have XBLA exclusives of games that have never been available outside of the PC.

A gooball makes more sense for the Wii if thats the case (as at least the wii has WoG).
I guess the little dude from Lost Winds would make a good Wii character too.

Well could be he couldn't find a suitable "sticky guy" familiar to Xbox fans he could get. I can't really think of any.

Or he just really likes Gish cause it was his first big game and wanted it in the version that comes first.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so anyone found much use for the extra characters apart from meatboy yet?

I've found about MAX 4 bandages that require the kid or tim to get, but found 0 use for bit trip runner, alien hominid (don't even know how to use him) or gish.

Mike M

Nick N
catfish said:

I've found about MAX 4 bandages that require the kid or tim to get, but found 0 use for bit trip runner, alien hominid (don't even know how to use him) or gish.
While not many bandages REQUIRE the use of other characters, there are certainly instances where their use can make it a whole lot easier. Captain Video's hovering, Jill's air brakes and Ogmo's double jump at the very least are all super useful on occasion (Though I can see Ogmo being rendered obsolete once The Kid is unlocked, though from what I can tell Ogmo's double jump is more for gaining distance and the Kid's is more about height?).

Gish I haven't actually used yet, though I've never run into a situation where I was really lamenting my inability to stick to walls. Alien Hominid does seem nigh useless, though I imagine he might be slightly less so if you used a turbo button for his power?

Tim hasn't been particularly helpful for me either...

vermadas

catfish said:

There was a warp in one of the dark world levels that I could only get to with bit trip runner. But yeah, I have not even touched Gish, Jill, Alien Hominid, or Tim yet.

Top Bottom