• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Haunted

POWERSPHERE said:
I played this and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's basically just N+, right?
They're both platformers, if that's what you mean.

The actual platforming in both feels completely different. Sufficient reason to play both if you're playing your platformers for the... you know, platforming.
platafoam

MjFrancis

charlequin said:
Why were people so upset about the World 4 boss again? After feeling repeatedly brutalized by the regular levels it seemed really straightforward and easy to me. :lol
The World 4 boss has a set attack pattern that requires total memorization but little skill beyond that. Dodging those attacks, once you know where they come from, is easy since it doesn't require much precision...

...much unlike World 5. I've only been working on the Light World levels (with the exception of World 1) so this is a ridiculous jump in difficulty for me. I'll have to put this game down for the evening and try it again another day, when my palms aren't so sweaty and my hands as cramped. Shit gets real in World 5.

POWERSPHERE said:
I played this and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's basically just N+, right?

Not even close IMO. I really liked N+ but I absolutely love SMB. The difficulty progression and sense of satisfaction are worlds better in SMB. N+ seems so ... static. The graphics, music, level design, enemies and environmental elements are all the same nearly the whole way through. The only thing that changes is the utter frustration of it all. I had no compelling reason to finish the last 10% of N+ whereas I want to keep going in SMB.

MjFrancis said:
...much unlike World 5.

:lol Yeah.

The world 5 boss isn't that hard, though, either, it's just irritatingly unpredictable. You keep having to hope that you trigger the right mode at the right time.

Right now I'm working on stupid Doctor Fetus. I rock at most of this level but I'm soooooo terrible at the damn "get from one wall onto the spot opposite the buzzsaw on the opposite wall" bits.

Beezy

Double checked and yeah, I got all the bandages in the game and complete every warp zone. The bandage glitch never affected my bandage count. So there's no explanation for why I only have 302 levels beaten. Hopefully they know about this problem and it gets fixed in the patch.

MjFrancis

charlequin said:
:lol Yeah.

The world 5 boss isn't that hard, though, either, it's just irritatingly unpredictable. You keep having to hope that you trigger the right mode at the right time.
I hope he's easier. My ass was kicked before I got to him, so I will probably want a break by the time I get there.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sorry, but couldn't find it. No release date for PC yet?

I can't decide which game is my masocore game of the year: this or VVVVVV. They're both so good for totally different reasons while scratching the same obsessive-compulsive, viciously brutalizing itch.

I AM JOHN! said:
I can't decide which game is my masocore game of the year: this or VVVVVV. They're both so good for totally different reasons while scratching the same obsessive-compulsive, viciously brutalizing itch.

Probably the PC version of SMB then since it slaps the two together.

alright my goal today was to get 100% on Hell and the game says 96% even though I think I've done everything...

-I got all 20 bandages
-Beat all 4 warp zones
-A+'d all Light and Dark World levels
-Beat the Boss
-Beat the Glitch Level

Is there anything I am missing, or is this just some effect from the bandage glitch problem?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheVisualizer said:
alright my goal today was to get 100% on Hell and the game says 96% even though I think I've done everything...

-I got all 20 bandages
-Beat all 4 warp zones
-A+'d all Light and Dark World levels
-Beat the Boss
-Beat the Glitch Level

Is there anything I am missing, or is this just some effect from the bandage glitch problem?

that's my goal now, do those things, ignore % and wait for patch. By the time you do that in every chapter maybe the patch drops then you'll know for sure.

Red

I AM JOHN! said:
Super Meat Boy wins for me simply because it has more content. They are both fantastic, but VVVVVV lasts two or three hours and SMB is infinitely replayable. The sheer amount of levels, alternate characters, leaderboards, and uploaded chapters pushes it way ahead.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Today I got past the first two Kid levels. Watching a vid before made me think that the last level would be the easiest of the bunch, but I'm having a really hard time with it. I can't manage the transition from the first floor to the next and timing the jumps for the pillars isn't as easy as I thought. It's also a really stressing level for your fingers since you're jumping non stop. Not through this hell just yet.

Stuneseht

BLOG UPDATE: http://supermeatboy.com/57/Super_Update_/#b
-The Xbla Title Update is being submitted to MS for approval this week and should be up by the 21st (we hope).

The Gish exclusive chapter looks brutal already :lol
g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

Creamium said:
Today I got past the first two Kid levels. Watching a vid before made me think that the last level would be the easiest of the bunch, but I'm having a really hard time with it. I can't manage the transition from the first floor to the next and timing the jumps for the pillars isn't as easy as I thought. It's also a really stressing level for your fingers since you're jumping non stop. Not through this hell just yet.

Got the Kid myself last night, for the 3rd level I was having trouble at the same spot. My solution was to hop back and forth in between the 1st and 2nd floors then time a jump off the right wall after the spike projectile comes out and clear the first set of ground spikes, then get ready to double jump the projectile. Once you get the 2nd floor down the 3rd floor is pretty easy once you figure out the best way to start it off.

Salsa

Team Meat hints at Super Meat Boy PC characters

There are a few new items on the Super Meat Boy PC front, and we need your help to figure out what they mean. Now that Captain Viridian and Mr. Minecraft have been unveiled, there are four more exclusive characters left.

Team Meat left this teaser: "one of them sticks, one of them dashes, one of them changes form and one of them isn't organic." Yeah, I don't even know. Also, "one of them might not be as indie as the rest." What's more, they posted an image detailing a handful of the new achievements.

One of them presumably has to do with the minus world levels; I'm scared. Uh, what else? Super Meat Boy is expected to hit Steam during the last week of this month, and Team Meat is hoping to get the level editor out sometime in December. I don't think these guys even sleep anymore.

Interesting...

The "not so indie" one kinda relates to my theory that they could do a Team Fortress 2 thing with exclusive items and all that.. thing is that the game is close to the Telltale Poker game, wich already does that, so idk..

Monocle

Glix said:
Holy crap. Took out kid level one this morning (XBOX is on and at home lol). I never thought I would be able to do it, what a sense of accomplishment.
Congrats. The hardest part of your task is over. The other two levels can be stupidly frustrating, but they're much more pattern-based; fairly simple to crack once muscle memory kicks in.

webrunner

SalsaShark said:
Team Meat hints at Super Meat Boy PC characters

Interesting...

The "not so indie" one kinda relates to my theory that they could do a Team Fortress 2 thing with exclusive items and all that.. thing is that the game is close to the Telltale Poker game, wich already does that, so idk..

Sticks: Probably goo ball, as surmised
one of them dashes: canabalt? robot unicorn? Maybe the not-organic one is also one of the other ones?
one of them changes form: Eversion dude? Or the Untitled Story Chick?
and one of them isn't organic: Maybe the whole cave story thing cleared up.. it would be a perfect choice and remember, he's a robot. Other than that... robot unicorn?

Not so indie: Telltale and Valve are indie-friendly, so I would guess from them before anyone else. That said.. Telltale doesn't really have any of their 'own' properties and nobody in the valve catalogue would really fit I would guess. Of course, neither does mr. minecraft. Actually.. what about Raz from Psychonauts? Double-Fine is kinda Indie but not as much as the other reps.

GWX

Man, i would love if the one who dashes turns out to be RunMan.
And I would love to play as some Valve characters in the game :)

edit: holy crap, that robot-like silhouette looks a lot like Machinarium's protagonist:
pcguys.png

and
Machinarium.jpg

webrunner

GWX said:
Man, i would love if the one who dashes turns out to be RunMan.
And I would love to play as some Valve characters in the game :)

edit: holy crap, that robot-like silhouette looks a lot like Machinarium's protagonist:
pcguys.png

and
Machinarium.jpg

Runman makes a lot of sense, actually.

Nabs

webrunner said:
Sticks: Probably goo ball, as surmised
one of them dashes: canabalt? robot unicorn? Maybe the not-organic one is also one of the other ones?
one of them changes form: Eversion dude? Or the Untitled Story Chick?
and one of them isn't organic: Maybe the whole cave story thing cleared up.. it would be a perfect choice and remember, he's a robot. Other than that... robot unicorn?

Not so indie: Telltale and Valve are indie-friendly, so I would guess from them before anyone else. That said.. Telltale doesn't really have any of their 'own' properties and nobody in the valve catalogue would really fit I would guess. Of course, neither does mr. minecraft. Actually.. what about Raz from Psychonauts? Double-Fine is kinda Indie but not as much as the other reps.

how bout Give Up, Robot?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
TheVisualizer said:
Got the Kid myself last night, for the 3rd level I was having trouble at the same spot. My solution was to hop back and forth in between the 1st and 2nd floors then time a jump off the right wall after the spike projectile comes out and clear the first set of ground spikes, then get ready to double jump the projectile. Once you get the 2nd floor down the 3rd floor is pretty easy once you figure out the best way to start it off.

Yeah I got it, finally. Kid is mine, what an ordeal.

Wizpig

I just finished the light world, at the final boss
while escaping with bandage girl the music glitched and stopped playing.

Is this a known issue?

BTW this is a little digital delivery masterpiece.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll probably get the PC version if my laptop can run it, with my 360 being gone forever and everything. I can't imagine it being very demanding on a "rig".

the inclusion of the Machinarium robot is a good thing, I like that guy

MrPliskin

Banned
Just got this last night.

FUUUUUU SO GOOD. Man, I haven't been so punished, yet so rewarded by a game in a long time. Loving it. When you finally beat a stage and see the replays stacked on each other...oh man, so good!

MrPliskin said:
Just got this last night.

FUUUUUU SO GOOD. Man, I haven't been so punished, yet so rewarded by a game in a long time. Loving it. When you finally beat a stage and see the replays stacked on each other...oh man, so good!

Yeah, the replay thing is genius. Usually when you've died a load of times you want to give up but knowing that all your deaths will make for an awesome replay pushes you to keep going.

Finally finished the game last night (or beat the light world boss anyway). Took me a while as I could only play in short bursts. Time to go for the dark world now! This games provided so much value for the price, looking forward to the pc version as well.

Apparently Captain Viridian is going to play the same way he does in VVVVVV (he can flip gravity, meaning he can fall upwards and walk along ceilings). He's going to require a ton of bandages, as his ability is game-breaking.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how the new characters will affect speed runs. Captain Viridian in particular will make some stages obscenely quick.

GWX

Ben2749 said:
Apparently Captain Viridian is going to play the same way he does in VVVVVV (he can flip gravity, meaning he can fall upwards and walk along ceilings). He's going to require a ton of bandages, as his ability is game-breaking.

Holy shit, that's awesome. Will the chapter from VVVVVV's creator be PC only?

Top Bottom