• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Nabs

HadesGigas said:
Ok internet detectives, get to work:

augraa.png

i think i see a goo :)

Mar

I'm in for a second dip just because of the VVVVVV guy. I love that game.

The circular cutout on that image though made me think of Wizball. If that actually happened and the wizard from Wizball was in the game, well, I'd cum buckets.

ArjanN

Mar said:
I'm in for a second dip just because of the VVVVVV guy. I love that game.

The circular cutout on that image though made me think of Wizball. If that actually happened and the wizard from Wizball was in the game, well, I'd cum buckets.

I'm guessing it's a World of Goo ball, mostly because he'd also play pretty much identical to Gish.

I wonder how the VVVVVV guy works, because if he actually plays like in VVVVVV I don't think he could even beat most of the levels, since he had no normal jump.

ArjanN said:
I'm guessing it's a World of Goo ball, mostly because he'd also play pretty much identical to Gish.

I wonder how the VVVVVV guy works, because if he actually plays like in VVVVVV I don't think he could even beat most of the levels, since he had no normal jump.

His ability is the same as in VVVVVV, but I'm guessing he'll have a normal jump too.

As for the silhouettes, I think it's safe to say that the circular one is a Goo ball. We already know that we're getting a sticky character, so it's a perfect fit.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Ben2749 said:
His ability is the same as in VVVVVV, but I'm guessing he'll have a normal jump too.

And even if he doesn't, as long as he doesn't have to be on a surface to flip it could function just like a jump. And it'd let him still clear most of the levels.

Patch can't come soon enough. Wanted to speed run the third world today, but then I looked at the leaderboards and noticed the first stage has over 500 0.0 times. Wouldn't be surprised if it's even worse with the other levels...

Did complete the fourth world by now though, and the boss fight wasn't too hard once you figured out his patterns. Kinda disappointing it was basically Simon Says instead of something that didn't rely to heavily on trial and error, as the obstacle course bosses in the previous worlds were great.

Charron said:
And even if he doesn't, as long as he doesn't have to be on a surface to flip it could function just like a jump. And it'd let him still clear most of the levels.

I doubt he could flip in mid-air. That would mean he could fly, and although Team Meat have said that he'll require a lot of bandages to unlock as his ability breaks the game, being able to fly would break it *completely*. There'd be very few stages where he wouldn't be the best character to use.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Ben2749 said:
I doubt he could flip in mid-air. That would mean he could fly, and although Team Meat have said that he'll require a lot of bandages to unlock as his ability breaks the game, being able to fly would break it *completely*. There'd be very few stages where he wouldn't be the best character to use.

Well if your intent is to break the game.... :p

But yea, he probably has the standard jump/walljump that everyone has. Which now makes me wonder if you could flip from a wall....

ArjanN

Mike M said:
He can't jump either.

I would be surprised if he couldn't flip in midair, bit probably just the one flip.

He needs a jump or be able to flip in the air, because otherwise he can't even get past any obstacle that doesn't have a ceiling over it.

Ionic

Does anybody else think the circle will actually turn out to be the ball from Within a Deep Forest? Also, I'm confused. I thought there were only going to be 6 new characters, but now we have a total of 7. And that little thingy next to the Machinarium bot looks like a Headcrab, though I'm not sure how that's supposed to work out.

ArjanN

Bottom row middle one could be the elephant from the Achievement Unlocked games.

Or a headcrab.

Or a parasite from Alien Swarm.

Salsa

Mike M said:
He can't jump either.

I would be surprised if he couldn't flip in midair, bit probably just the one flip.

Im guessing he'll be able to jump AND flip, but only when he's on the ground.

How much longer is the game 800 points? I'm trying to light a fire under my friend's ass so that he buys it. He's already played the demo and loves it.

ArjanN said:
Bottom row middle one could be the elephant from the Achievement Unlocked games.

Or a headcrab.

Or a parasite from Alien Swarm.

I was thinking the elephant, but I'm not sure what his gimmick would be.

Anyways, the characters alone are making it hard for me to not double or even triple dip D:

Rad-

Ben2749 said:
How much longer is the game 800 points? I'm trying to light a fire under my friend's ass so that he buys it. He's already played the demo and loves it.

One more week I think.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat Cotton Alley today. I was watching some yt vids and read a helpful shortcut for stage 8. You can skip the middle section of that level entirely by just jumping from the first lower saw pillar to the next, also making the par time really easy. The middle section made this one of the most annoying CA levels (last one I had to beat actually) so I was glad this was possible.

All in all CA's doable compared to some of the later warp zones and dark world stages

vermadas

I finally finished Cotton Alley yesterday also. I had tons of trouble with the last stage. Which wasn't really that difficult, there were just so many places where you could fuck up :lol

The dark world levels in the second half of world 5 have gotten enormously frustrating. I was thinking I might be able to beat all the dark world levels before putting the game down, but I think I've hit my wall with 270 stages complete.

Nabs

Psychotext said:
Any update on the patch ETA?
waiting for ms approval. so maybe next week?

on the pc side they added 33 new achievements to steam with 3 of them hidden (I didn't know you could do this). preorder either tuesday or wednesday. should be 10 bucks.

Working on the last light world level before Fetus. I'm close, but not quite there.

I have 66 dark levels down, nearly all of them aced. Starting to look like I'm coming close to the top of my skill range, though. I hope I can get that true ending achievement.

Anyone have a tip on the bandage in 3-19X? Does it require the ninja or some other high-level unlock character. I just can't figure how I can get meat boy into that tiny little space in the upper corner....

Finished the light world stages. World 5's boss wasn't that difficult actually; just stay on one of the moving platforms next to the buzzsaws and you can basically 'exploit' the patterns all the way. Only need to jump when it's about to approach one of the top saws too. Most of the time, anyways...

Psychotext said:
Any update on the patch ETA?
The devs said it should be out on the 21st. Wish they could've released it a lot sooner, though.

GWX

Sweet, Head Crab is in! Also, the game's description on Steam says the level editor and level portal will be released January 2011.

Apoc29

LordPhoque said:
It would be cool to have more 360 exclusives characters, the guy from Limbo would be nice.
Really, the kid from Limbo? What would his ability be...shortest jump? :lol Gravity flip would be cool though, if they couldn't put Captain Viridian in the first place.

MicVlaD said:
Finished the light world stages. World 5's boss wasn't that difficult actually; just stay on one of the moving platforms next to the buzzsaws and you can basically 'exploit' the patterns all the way. Only need to jump when it's about to approach one of the top saws too. Most of the time, anyways...

The devs said it should be out on the 21st. Wish they could've released it a lot sooner, though.
It's not going to be out on the 21st, because that's a Sunday. They probably meant the week of Nov 21st.

It's not really up to them when it's going to be released anyway. The patch has to go through MS's certification process before it can be released.

JimboJones

Ben2749 said:

You could always give him some money towards it.

RadarScope1 said:
Anyone have a tip on the bandage in 3-19X? Does it require the ninja or some other high-level unlock character. I just can't figure how I can get meat boy into that tiny little space in the upper corner....

had the same problem, you just need to time a jump from the opposite wall and slide up the wall into the bandage...of course that's easier said then done with homing missiles coming at you too

TheVisualizer said:
had the same problem, you just need to time a jump from the opposite wall and slide up the wall into the bandage...of course that's easier said then done with homing missiles coming at you too

Wow. That's gonna take some precision. Then you've got to make it all the way back through with most of your cover blown. Ugh.

Edit: FUCK YEAH. JUST GOT IT. NINJA, MOTHERFUCKER! Sometimes you just have to step away and come back to it. Tried this for so long last night and never even got the bandage. Made it to the exit after my first grab. Fucking love this game.

RadarScope1 said:
Wow. That's gonna take some precision. Then you've got to make it all the way back through with most of your cover blown. Ugh.

Edit: FUCK YEAH. JUST GOT IT. NINJA, MOTHERFUCKER! Sometimes you just have to step away and come back to it. Tried this for so long last night and never even got the bandage. Made it to the exit after my first grab. Fucking love this game.

congrats I remeber thinking there was no way I was getting that one, posted in here looking for ideas then got it after figuring out a strategy, Figured I'd have tapped out by now but I'm going for the full 100% and its within reach for me.

jgkspsx

Despite really not going for the meat/blood/bandage/fetus aesthetic, I was won over by the demo. And by CmdrVideo, if we're going to be entirely frank.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Aww yeah, what do you think is its special ability?

Ed: Just a thought, could the character with the floating "hair" be Naija of Aquaria? Just the whole water angle...and dashing?

Goo ball:

wog.jpg

It was accidentally leaked early today, so we decided to jump in and announce it officially.

The Headcrab will be a playable character in Super Meat Boy, exclusive to Steam.

We asked Valve about this almost half joking and they were totally down. (We LOVE Steam...like...a lot. MS is the hot chick you hook up with, Steam is the girl you spend your life with). The Headcrab will replace Gish as the 1st unlockable bandage character. Much like Gish, he will stick to walls but also have more horizontal jumping power as a head crab should.

Those of you wondering, the Steam version of Super Meat Boy's official release date is Nov. 30th (as you can see from the countdown above) and be priced at $15... BUT!

As a gift to fans we will be taking preorders on Steam starting the 23rd at 33% off ($10). So much like our XBLA release SMB fans will get a early buy discount.

Some of you (trolls) may be thinking "HAY HEADCRAB ISNT INDIE, FUCK YOU SELLOUT ASSHOLES" Well....I dare you to turn down a Headcrab. They are adorable.

For those of you without Steam, we have a special character for you. All non-Steam (PC and Mac only) versions of Super Meat Boy will feature....

A Goo Ball from World of Goo!

The Goo ball will be basically identical to Gish, accept obviously cuter.

That leaves 2 more unknown characters left.. who could they be? First person to guess 'Splosion Man gets punched in the face.

Stay tuned!

http://supermeatboy.com/59/You_ve_got_Headcrabs_/#b

Top Bottom