• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

LordPhoque said:
Easier but still hard. Spent 1h on each.
Wow. It took me a few minutes for level 1.
I found the second one insanely harder, and raged a bit.

Anyway, I'm trying to get 100% in Ch 4: Hell, but it seems stuck to 96%.
I found all the bandages, got all A+, saved flywrench and done the weird yellow level.
Is this another bug, or am I missing some secret not found in other Chapters ?

Stuneseht

theMrCravens said:
Wow. It took me a few minutes for level 1.
I found the second one insanely harder, and raged a bit.

Anyway, I'm trying to get 100% in Ch 4: Hell, but it seems stuck to 96%.
I found all the bandages, got all A+, saved flywrench and done the weird yellow level.
Is this another bug, or am I missing some secret not found in other Chapters ?

It's a bug. Who knows when the patch is coming:lol

I decided to preorder this game on Steam after hearing so much about it here, but I'm not really looking forward to using the arrow keys to play the game, since it seems like it will require a lot more accuracy than that. Is there any way to get a DualShock3 to work with it?

TheExodu5

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I decided to preorder this game on Steam after hearing so much about it here, but I'm not really looking forward to using the arrow keys to play the game, since it seems like it will require a lot more accuracy than that. Is there any way to get a DualShock3 to work with it?

Download the MotionJoy drivers.

Emitan

brain_stew said:
The Motionjoy joy drivers have an integrated 360 controller emulator. So any game that supports the 360 controller (which is just about any game with controller support these days, including Meat Boy) will work plug and play without any configuration.
Wow, that's awesome. I only have one 360 controller and I'd love to use my DS3 has a second controller.

vocab

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

If arrow keys were the only option to play the game, I wouldn't even bother. The flash version was awful because of it. I just can't use movement keys with my right hand, and I hate playing cross handed. Let me bind my movement keys damnit.

I would go so far as to say there's no way in hell anyone could get through the latter stages of SMB with arrow keys. You'll be nothing but frustrated by using them once you get so far into it. The game demands a true d-pad.

snack

I've never heard of MotionJoy until now. I guess I don't have to buy a PC-exclusive gamepad anymore then. PS3 DS3 it is.

Salsa

snack said:
I've never heard of MotionJoy until now. I guess I don't have to buy a PC-exclusive gamepad anymore then. PS3 DS3 it is.

ive been rocking a DS2 since forever. It even has the start button broken :lol does the job though

TheExodu5

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
I would go so far as to say there's no way in hell anyone could get through the latter stages of SMB with arrow keys. You'll be nothing but frustrated by using them once you get so far into it. The game demands a true d-pad.

If you're good, sure you can. Arrow keys are still faster than a d-pad, just not as intuitive.

Myself, I'll be rocking a SNES controller. :D

snack

TheExodu5 said:
If you're good, sure you can. Arrow keys are still faster than a d-pad, just not as intuitive.

Myself, I'll be rocking a SNES controller. :D
May I ask where you get a SNES USB controller? :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Scarecrow said:
don't dawdle, it'll only get you killed. only use the spaces b/n floors as resting spots, but try to go across each floor as quick as you can.

I was going to suggest the opposite. :|

Just try to move past 1 set of spikes per pass of the crushers. They come at very regular intervals, so it's pretty intuitive to get the timing down. On the second level, when you're moving away from the crushers, just jump as soon as you land.

Backfoggen said:
Any tips for the third Kid stage?

Just get the rhythm down. The walls come fast, but once you learn to time the double-jump to avoid them, and understand where you can stop and where you can not, you'll make it through.

So looking through the MotioninJoy thing, do I need a bluetooth adapter to get this to work with my DS3 or can I just have it hooked it to the computer with the USB cord?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ugh, I can't get it to work. I know this is really off-topic, but I don't want playing the game to be any harder than it is. Whenever I open up the DS3 Tool it says "No Device found!" even though the controller is hooked up to the computer via USB and has the lights on it flashing and is recognized by the computer.

I installed the latest version as the instructions said and made sure it was the right one for 32-bit systems, but it won't do anything with the controller or recognize it in the slightest. I loaded the drivers with the DS3 Tool program, too. What's wrong?

I'm lost with this Motionjoy thing as well. I installed the drivers, the program says it was successful, but still not response from the controller.

entremet

So how are you guys going for 100 percents? Are you doing the light world first and then tackling the dark worlds? Or are you doing each chapter, both light and dark, before hundred percenting the next chapter?

I already preordered the game; I must say Amir0x opinion of the game in the DKCR thread called my attention.

Thanks for the info about MotionJoy drive, first time I ever heard of it. :lol

Holepunch

entrement said:
So how are you guys going for 100 percents? Are you doing the light world first and then tackling the dark worlds? Or are you doing each chapter, both light and dark, before hundred percenting the next chapter?
I have a three part plan.

1) Get through lightworld any means necessary. Don't worry about times
2) Go back and A+ and bandage every level
3) Beat the Dark World
4) Try to beat each world without dying once for the achievements and crying myself to sleep when I inevitably fail.

Also, what's all this talk about using D-pads? I thought analog stick was the way to go. I'm using a 360 controller and there is no way in hell I'm using that D-pad.

Holepunch said:

3) Beat the Dark World
4) Try to beat each world without dying once for the achievements and crying myself to sleep when I inevitably fail.

Also, what's all this talk about using D-pads? I thought analog stick was the way to go. I'm using a 360 controller and there is no way in hell I'm using that D-pad.

I like using an arcade stick, myself.

entremet

Holepunch said:

3) Beat the Dark World

I guess number 5 would be to A+ and bandage each Dark World level?

TheHakku

Holepunch said:
I can't imagine using the stick. Even though I hate the design of the d-pad, I feel more in control.

The only time I have ever used a d-pad to play this game was when I played it using my SF4 fightpad that I usually use for 2D games, but I didn't find it very comfortable to use so I went back to using the analog stick on the regular pad. The game just feels right on the 360 pad to me, and I don't have a single problem pulling off anything I want to do; not that I'm not dying all the time or anything, but it's not a control issue as it is an "oh God why are these Dark World levels so hard?! ;_;" one.

entremet

Holepunch said:
I wasn't aware the dark world had bandages or A+ rankings.

QQ
Seriously? :lol

You're in a for a treat my friend. It's not possible to fully complete a world without getting A+ and bandages for its Dark World equivalent.

TheExodu5

Banned
Holepunch said:

Since you only need to do left-right on the d-pad, the 360 d-pad works fine. Still, most of us are talking about using it with a SNES controller or DS3. :)

I'm willing to bet keyboard would work great if you could get accustomed to it as well. While not as intuitive as a d-pad, you should be able to react a lot faster with the arrow keys as opposed to a d-pad.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Saturn pad has shitty ass buttons, for a platformer, and the d-pad only really shows it's strength for fighting games, IMO. Super Meat Boy is just left-right, so any old d-pad is fine. Personally, I love the SNES d-pad, so it's my choice.

SNES controller, Classic Controller Pro, and Dualshock 1/2/3 should all do great, since they have a nice left/right d-pad and very comfortable buttons (and the diamond layout is kind of a necessity in a game where you need to hold run all the time).

UrbanRats

It's ok if i wait until the end to preorder this?
The point is, i want to first check tomorrow's sales, but i'm afraid Steam might remove the preorder offer a few hourse before realese, and lose the 9€ deal.
Could it happen? Or they set the regular price, precisely when the game can be downloaded?

Holepunch

UrbanRats said:
It's ok if i wait until the end to preorder this?
The point is, i want to first check tomorrow's sales, but i'm afraid Steam might remove the preorder offer a few hourse before realese, and lose the 9€ deal.
Could it happen? Or they set the regular price, precisely when the game can be downloaded?
Well it depends what you're trying to do.

If you're seeing if Steam has a deal on something besides Meat Boy that you might want more then wait. Steam isn't precise about when they release games and they won't adjust the price until they do. A lot of people still got the preorder price and bonus for Poker Night at the Inventory buying it on the day of it's release, because it wasn't released until the evening.

If you're hoping Meat Boy will go on further sale, it won't. The creators specifically said in order to not screw over their fans the price won't be any lower than it is now until at least after the holidays sale. You would be waiting a while.

UrbanRats

Holepunch said:
Well it depends what you're trying to do.

If you're seeing if Steam has a deal on something besides Meat Boy that you might want more then wait. Steam isn't precise about when they release games and they won't adjust the price until they do. A lot of people still got the preorder price and bonus for Poker Night at the Inventory buying it on the day of it's release, because it wasn't released until the evening.

If you're hoping Meat Boy will go on further sale, it won't. The creators specifically said in order to not screw over their fans the price won't be any lower than it is now until at least after the holidays sale. You would be waiting a while.
the first one you said.

Thanks. :)
Actually, i doubt something can top SMB, on tomorrow's sale, but i wanted to wait, just to be sure. ^^

So this is my first steam pre-order. I won't be home when the game unlocks (assuming it does so in 13 hours like steam is telling me). Will the game automatically start downloading if I leave steam open?

Volcynika

MvmntInGrn said:
So this is my first steam pre-order. I won't be home when the game unlocks (assuming it does so in 13 hours like steam is telling me). Will the game automatically start downloading if I leave steam open?

Unless there's a setting I missed, no, it does not. It just becomes another uninstalled game on your library of games.

Holepunch

MvmntInGrn said:

It's only 300 megabytes, probably not worth leaving Steam on anyways.

Top Bottom