• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

TheExodu5

Banned
I bitched about the lack of controller support and PC neglect, but I take it back. I've never seen such a fast response from a developer in my life. Team Meat is doing a great job of keeping the community up to date.

Props, Team Meat!

Emitan

TheExodu5 said:
I bitched about the lack of controller support and PC neglect, but I take it back. I've never seen such a fast response from a developer in my life. Team Meat is doing a great job of keeping the community up to date.

Props, Team Meat!
I left my PC on when I left for work so I'll have a patched game when I get home. What exactly did they fix? Is it just basically what they said in the blog post or are there patch notes?

Visualante said:
Holepunch said:
He's really not that hard at all. It's classic memorize pattern.
I've been counting the frames, it's the timing I can't do. I managed to get through the three swipes okay but then the smashes seem random.
Okay so I tried jumping over his hands a few time and was missing, so I assumed you had to wall jump on the edge of the platform which is significantly harder. I watched a video and realised you could jump over. An hour wasted.

TheExodu5

Banned
Billychu said:
I left my PC on when I left for work so I'll have a patched game when I get home. What exactly did they fix? Is it just basically what they said in the blog post or are there patch notes?

I assume the blog post is accurate. What matters though is that they're actively working on fixing all of the issues. Reading through hundreds of feedback e-mails and getting a patch out within less than a day is impressive. We're not left in the dark like with most developers.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Cursor disappears when a controller is plugged in. Yay!

TheExodu5 said:
I assume the blog post is accurate. What matters though is that they're actively working on fixing all of the issues. Reading through hundreds of feedback e-mails and getting a patch out within less than a day is impressive. We're not left in the dark like with most developers.
Yup, these guys have been great. Valve took a month and a half to fix the heavy/pyro/soldier infinite shotgun reload glitch. Bioware release Mass Effect 1 with a 256x256 texture for Garrus' face and never fix it. Then they release Dragon Age with a memory leak that takes 8 months to fix, but causes crashes on AMDs with more than two cores. Katauri and 2K Games mess up widescreen in King's Bounty (no 16:9) and Bioshock 1/2 (no 16:10).

Team Meat? Two guys doing the work of two dozen, and faster.

stuminus3

Lyphen said:
Katauri and 2K Games mess up widescreen in King's Bounty (no 16:9)...
I'm starting to suspect that if I put the words "widescreen" and "King's Bounty" together in the search bar that every single post returned would be yours. :lol

I understand completely, though (I'm on a 16:9 monitor too).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
stuminus3 said:
I'm starting to suspect that if I put the words "widescreen" and "King's Bounty" together in the search bar that every single post returned would be yours. :lol

I understand completely, though (I'm on a 16:9 monitor too).
:lol All the posts that show up on Google are secretly my alts too. Russian, English, French, whatever language, it's me out there complaining.

I can't get the jump in Chapter 5: stage 11. Flip the switch after dealing with 2 monsters, float past the blade... but then the door has shut!!

HALP

Edit: Oh now I notice the game has a button for running >_<

Red

perryfarrell said:
I can't get the jump in Chapter 5: stage 11. Flip the switch after dealing with 2 monsters, float past the blade... but then the door has shut!!

HALP

Edit: Oh now I notice the game has a button for running >_<
How have you gotten that far in the game without running? Can you even pass the third level in the forest without the run button?

Crunched said:
How have you gotten that far in the game without running? Can you even pass the third level in the forest without the run button?

I HAVE DISCOVERED THE HARD WAY THAT YOU CAN GET TO 5-11 WITHOUT EVER RUNNING

:lol

fml...

perryfarrell said:
I HAVE DISCOVERED THE HARD WAY THAT YOU CAN GET TO 5-11 WITHOUT EVER RUNNING

:lol

fml...

I... I don't even know what to say. I can't even fathom that. Not only would it be SO much harder, half the fun of the game is the high speed and fast pace. It's why you feel like such a ninja when you make that perfect run.

Holepunch

I think I found checklist guideline way to find the bandages in worlds.

Maybe I'm going heavy on the spoiler tags, but I'm doing it!
-Every world has 4 warpzones, 3 in the light, 1 in the dark
-Every Retro Warpzone has 2 bandages in them. The character warpzone has none.
-A level can only contain one bandage at most.
-A level with a warpzone in it does not have a bandage, and vice versa.
-I believe there are 7 bandages in light world regular levels, and 7 in the dark. Need verifying

So 6 bandages in the warpzones, 7 in the light world, 7 in the dark, none on the glitch levels or boss levels or character warpzones. Without having to check levels with warpzones, it should make the hunt much easier.

Happy Hunting!

Also I got the kid. I can't believe people double dipped and are planning to do it again. I am never, ever going back there. What is wrong with you people?

vanty

What is this thing you supposedly unlock for 20 bandages? It said "Unlocked English" I think, but nothing extra seems to be available.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
Holepunch said:
I think I found checklist guideline way to find the bandages in worlds.

Maybe I'm going heavy on the spoiler tags, but I'm doing it!
-Every world has 4 warpzones, 3 in the light, 1 in the dark
-Every Retro Warpzone has 2 bandages in them. The character warpzone has none.
-A level can only contain one bandage at most.
-A level with a warpzone in it does not have a bandage, and vice versa.
-I believe there are 7 bandages in light world regular levels, and 7 in the dark. Need verifying

So 6 bandages in the warpzones, 7 in the light world, 7 in the dark, none on the glitch levels or boss levels or character warpzones. Without having to check levels with warpzones, it should make the hunt much easier.

Happy Hunting!

Also I got the kid. I can't believe people double dipped and are planning to do it again. I am never, ever going back there. What is wrong with you people?

It's 11 bandages for the light world, 9 in the darkworld and i'm pretty sure there is at least one bandage in a level with a warpzone. Also there was a level on the xbox that had two bandages in it but I think that may have been a mistake since it only counted one.

epmode

Kulock said:
I was surprised to read this and did a search, isn't this the fix, or are you talking about something else?
As far as I know, there's no way to have the face work in all aspects of the game. It's an incredible oversight and it keeps me from having him in my party.

I'm still kind of amazed that they never patched it. Thanks, Bioware.

Helmholtz

Blu_LED said:
I have to play in 1024x600 just to get a good frame-rate. Really odd that this game is straining my system so much.
You try installing new video drivers? Not sure whether it would help or not. I don't think you should be having problems running the game well unless your PC is super old.
Anyway, I'm having a blast with this game. I've been trying to A+ every level, and so far I've been able to, but I've just started Hell and it seems like it won't be an easy feat. Some of the bandages are so fucking hard to get too :(

Nabs

Blu_LED said:
I have to play in 1024x600 just to get a good frame-rate. Really odd that this game is straining my system so much.
check supermeatboy.com and lower your settings? (-lowdetail)

Bebpo

Banned
So this game is amazing. But the best levels imo are the guest levels specifically tailored to each guest character's abilities. I love them.

Does every guest character have a set of 3 stages? I unlocked the half-life crab through bandages, so does that mean I won't get a set of 3 half-life crab stages?

Also is there only one guest character warp per world? In the first world I had 3 retro warps and 1 character.

fubarduck

Rash said:
The game certainly is ridiculously hardcore, and I do think it maybe takes things too far sometimes.

I enjoy a good challenge but I can only be so masochistic. With the later levels of Super Meat Boy (though mostly in the dark world), that good mix of pleasure and pain eventually does tip in favor of pain and it makes the experience a bit less enjoyable, in my opinion. I like to 100% my games, or at least get as close as possible, but doing so with SMB may prove to be beyond my means, at least in a reasonable amount of time. Truly, only a small part of the SMB-playing populace will have the skill, but more importantly, the patience to die thousands upon thousands of times in order to fully complete the game. Finishing it all is certainly possible, but my god, Team Meat only wants the most dedicated of hardcore, hours-on-end gamers to reach the plateau.

I'm on the last world and have been "completing" everything, with A+ on every stage, all bandages, etc. My cycle is Light World, Dark World, bandage gets, then boss.

The game IS ridiculously hard but even in the last world it hasn't really become unmanageable. A really hard stage may take 30 minutes to complete. The Kid took me a couple of hours. I've maybe put 20 hours into the game so far though, and I'm almost finished with a full run. I've never gotten so much bang for my buck out of an XBLA game.

Reminds me of being a kid again. No forgiveness (like it should be!).

Holepunch

Nedjoe said:
It's 11 bandages for the light world, 9 in the darkworld and i'm pretty sure there is at least one bandage in a level with a warpzone. Also there was a level on the xbox that had two bandages in it but I think that may have been a mistake since it only counted one.

Counting warpzones yeah it's 11:9. Not sure about the other two things you said.

Anybody encounter a level with a bandage and a warpzone?

duckroll

So I didn't pre-order this for 9.99 because I played the Meat Boy flash game and didn't like it. That was probably a mistake. Now the game is 14.99 on Steam. I've been debating between buying it now, and waiting until the Holiday sale where it will probably be on sale again. But then I started thinking. If I buy this for 14.99, rather than at a sale price, does the team get MORE money from that one sale? Because I kinda already feel bad for the 5 buck Indie Story Pack I bought being so fucking cheap. Thoughts?

vocab

duckroll said:
So I didn't pre-order this for 9.99 because I played the Meat Boy flash game and didn't like it. That was probably a mistake. Now the game is 14.99 on Steam. I've been debating between buying it now, and waiting until the Holiday sale where it will probably be on sale again. But then I started thinking. If I buy this for 14.99, rather than at a sale price, does the team get MORE money from that one sale? Because I kinda already feel bad for the 5 buck Indie Story Pack I bought being so fucking cheap. Thoughts?

Meat boy flash fucking sucked cocks. This is much better. Wait for christmas if you want a deal, buy now if you don't care about $5.

Also, I unlocked English, the replacement for teh internets. How do I access it?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
duckroll said:
If I buy this for 14.99, rather than at a sale price, does the team get MORE money from that one sale? Because I kinda already feel bad for the 5 buck Indie Story Pack I bought being so fucking cheap. Thoughts?

Yes. Valve takes a flat percentage regardless of what the price is.

vanty

duckroll said:
If they get say 60% of $15 now, they'd still get that percentage of a likely $5 or $7.50 in a holiday sale. So the devs definitely get more money if you buy it now instead of on sale.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
vocab said:
Also, I unlocked English, the replacement for teh internets. How do I access it?

I got a notification that I had unlocked teh internets when I was playing yesterday. Was that a bug?

Holepunch

EviLore said:
I got a notification that I had unlocked teh internets when I was playing yesterday. Was that a bug?

I got the same thing. I guess now you unlock English!

I really wonder how much effort went into this port to have things like that left in, bosses left out and a third of the PC exclusive characters broken. I mean I'm glad they're patching it but how did this happen in the first place?

TheExodu5 said:

Or the 360 version, which is still waiting for the first title update. :lol

Nabs

Holepunch said:
I got the same thing. I guess now you unlock English!

I really wonder how much effort went into this port to have things like that left in, bosses left out and a third of the PC exclusive characters broken. I mean I'm glad they're patching it but how did this happen in the first place?

There's 1 person handling all the code. He created the game from the ground up. At least he's fixing everything he can.

charlequin said:
Or the 360 version, which is still waiting for the first title update. :lol

Yeah, I think that patch has been done for a while now, it's just up to microsoft to release it <3 steam.

Helmholtz said:
You try installing new video drivers? Not sure whether it would help or not. I don't think you should be having problems running the game well unless your PC is super old.
Anyway, I'm having a blast with this game. I've been trying to A+ every level, and so far I've been able to, but I've just started Hell and it seems like it won't be an easy feat. Some of the bandages are so fucking hard to get too :(
It's not really that old of a computer. Here are the specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
E8135 @ 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 2.98 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2400

Helmholtz

duckroll said:
Okay thanks. I think I'll grab it then. :)
Awesome. I don't see why you wouldn't like it...unless you hate dying a lot :D . It's a truly excellent game.
Also, can you PC meatboy players add me, Steam ID is Jamboots. Would love to compare scores :p

slayn

needs to show more effort.
still not out on direct2drive? bleh. The "release date" keeps delaying every time I refresh the page.
I've never used them before and I certainly won't be using them again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Woohoo, beat everyone else's World 1 scores again (sorry Volcynika!). I need to stop checking the leaderboards so I can progress through the game.

Top Bottom