• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Big-E said:
Is it easy to get the 360 controller to work on pc? I have the official wireless adapter, is that all I need for the game to detect it or do I need a third party program or something?
Just turn on the controller, sync it, and you're done.

Billychu said:
I'm streaming if anyone wants to watch. But the game runs a bit slow while streaming so I'm totally blaming that on why I die so much :lol
Even though I've had worse deaths, it's still funny to watch someone else mess up. :lol

vocab

2Crisis said:
hopefully someone who has this working can help me out.

I'm trying to use my DS3 through motionjoy to get this going.

I DO have my motionjoy installed and my ds3 is recognized through that. What do I do next to get it working with meatboy?

In MJ I changed the 'select one mode' option to xbox 360 controller emulator. Do I need to hit any buttons or set anything up beyond that? Just doing that then loading meatboy does nothing.

Thanks for any help.

Load drivers > then run 360 pad emulation. Remember you have enable the 360 pad emulation, not just hit the radio button.

suikodan

I held myself from buying it from XBLA because of that:

efdff7c6.jpg

It loads but for some reason, it runs at ultra speed. I'll need to tweak that a bit but I think it's gonna be an excellent game for the cab. :D

Volcynika

Is the "Beat X World" without dying easy to tell? Like can I somehow see a level's stats and tell if I beat it without dying once?

Made it to world 4, but I haven't tackled the dark world levels at all. Oy!

barnone

End of world 1 spoiler...

The squirrel :lol :lol . My roommate stopped to watch the cutscene as the squirrels appeared. He looked at me in disgust at the end of that cutscene

vocab

Volcynika said:
Is the "Beat X World" without dying easy to tell? Like can I somehow see a level's stats and tell if I beat it without dying once?

Made it to world 4, but I haven't tackled the dark world levels at all. Oy!

That means beat the whole world without dying. So ya, it's easy to tell, because you have to play the whole world in one sitting.

Also, I'm raping the leader boards pretty badly. I have the best time in a bunch of levels.

Emitan

vocab said:
That means beat the whole world without dying. So ya, it's easy to tell, because you have to play the whole world in one sitting.

Also, I'm raping the leader boards pretty badly. I have the best time in a bunch of levels.
Same. I just completely failed a level, yet I'm the best in the world at it.

Davidion

Just beat world 1, a+, keyboard, 7 bandages including the ones in the first warp zone. Where the hell are all of these damn bandages...

This game is one of the buggiest games I've ever played on steam, talk about crashes and key problems everywhere...

Davidion said:
Just beat world 1, a+, keyboard, 7 bandages including the ones in the first warp zone. Where the hell are all of these damn bandages...

This game is one of the buggiest games I've ever played on steam, talk about crashes and key problems everywhere...

Dark world has bandages too.

HadesGigas said:
Dark world has bandages too.
I scoured first world, dark and light and a two/three warp zones. Still only found 6 bandages. They're very well hidden. I'm only away of one or two others.

Gonna play some hospital then sleep. Controls are intensely tight, game is super rewarding. I love the way you go back to light levels and think "lol I moaned about this easy shit". I dislike the shooting rock things in general, I think some levels it has been nice where it's more of a rhythm thing where you can pace yourself.. but there are some that just fuck you over and it's largely random and placed after a tough bit. The blades/salt/spikes are much more rewarding aspects of the level design.

Emitan

Wow. I'm going to stop streaming. It was impossible for me to beat one of the levels due to the performance hit. As soon as I stopped streaming it was a cake walk. I guess I'm going to have to wait until next summer when I upgrade my computer before I can do tons of streaming :(

pirata

epmode said:
For anyone who doesn't know how 360 pad emulation works, a quick tutorial:

Download the latest x360ce zip from here: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list

Extract the EXE file to your SMB folder Steam\steamapps\common\super meat boy

run x360.exe, say yes when it asks to create its files

Set up the important 360 buttons using the dropdown boxes. This part may take some trial and error but the nice thing about the program is that it instantly updates after you change a setting so you can quickly see if you're doing it right. Once the pad is doing exactly what you want, click Save

Look in the SMB folder again and rename xinput1_3.dll to xinput9_1_0.dll

This emulator will work in most games that support the 360 pad natively (except you usually don't have to rename that dll). It's lovely.

After getting my Saturn pad working, this is a pretty awesome port. 60 FPS, looks great. ...but WTF @ not including non-360 pad support at launch. Bad form!

Thanks for the hint! Yeah, I got it to work this way. The only problem is that it registers up as down and down as up, and I frankly have no idea how to correct this. Thankfully, it isn't much of a problem, since SMB only uses those buttons to navigate menus.

epmode

pirata said:
Thanks for the hint! Yeah, I got it to work this way. The only problem is that it registers up as down and down as up, and I frankly have no idea how to correct this.
Go back into x360ce.exe and choose Inverted for the up/down axis.

pirata said:
Thanks for the hint! Yeah, I got it to work this way. The only problem is that it registers up as down and down as up, and I frankly have no idea how to correct this. Thankfully, it isn't much of a problem, since SMB only uses those buttons to navigate menus.

You gotta assign one of the 'invert axis' to the D-pad. Piece of cake.

Edit: super excellent game. Just played close to 3 hours on my first sitting. I didn't blink enough so my eyes are all dry... :lol

Bebpo

Banned
This game's great, but maybe a little too hardcore for my skillz ^^; I'm used to games like vvvvvv and when pigs can fly where they are brutally hard BUT they checkpoint every room so it's just a matter of 10 seconds of perfect execution. The longer stages in this may push my patience down the road.

2Crisis

Thanks for the help getting my dualshock3 working everyone. it works perfectly now.

Super Meat boy + bombcast on in background = bliss

If ppl cannot get their Saturn pad to work, read up the instructions above and if it still doesn't work PM me if you want to know my settings in x360ce. It works, but requires a little tweakin'.

Another fun thing about this game is that difficult-looking jumps are oftentimes easier than easy-lookin jumps... cuz of the insane horizontal air speed.

Davey Cakes

The game certainly is ridiculously hardcore, and I do think it maybe takes things too far sometimes.

I enjoy a good challenge but I can only be so masochistic. With the later levels of Super Meat Boy (though mostly in the dark world), that good mix of pleasure and pain eventually does tip in favor of pain and it makes the experience a bit less enjoyable, in my opinion. I like to 100% my games, or at least get as close as possible, but doing so with SMB may prove to be beyond my means, at least in a reasonable amount of time. Truly, only a small part of the SMB-playing populace will have the skill, but more importantly, the patience to die thousands upon thousands of times in order to fully complete the game. Finishing it all is certainly possible, but my god, Team Meat only wants the most dedicated of hardcore, hours-on-end gamers to reach the plateau.

Volcynika

I got all the bandages, A+'d every light and dark level, beaten the crazy messed up level, and even beat the first world without dying, but I still have 92% complete for that level. Not sure what I'm missing...

*scratches head*

EDIT: Apparently didn't go to 100% until I exited the game and came back.

Gribbix

Billychu said:
Bullcrap. I just saw you unlock the headcrab by beating one of the early warps, but I just did that one and didn't get anything.
You get the headcrab after collecting 10 bandages.

snack

Volcynika said:
I got all the bandages, A+'d every light and dark level, beaten the crazy messed up level, and even beat the first world without dying, but I still have 92% complete for that level. Not sure what I'm missing...

*scratches head*
Maybe you're missing bandages?

Red

Rash said:
The game certainly is ridiculously hardcore, and I do think it maybe takes things too far sometimes.

I enjoy a good challenge but I can only be so masochistic. With the later levels of Super Meat Boy (though mostly in the dark world), that good mix of pleasure and pain eventually does tip in favor of pain and it makes the experience a bit less enjoyable, in my opinion. I like to 100% my games, or at least get as close as possible, but doing so with SMB may prove to be beyond my means, at least in a reasonable amount of time. Truly, only a small part of the SMB-playing populace will have the skill, but more importantly, the patience to die thousands upon thousands of times in order to fully complete the game. Finishing it all is certainly possible, but my god, Team Meat only wants the most dedicated of hardcore, hours-on-end gamers to reach the plateau.
And the world needs more such men.

Well, Steam version is completely fucked for me. Crashes randomly every three to five minutes. Won't save.

Verified game cache. Found one corrupted file, redownloaded. Crashing less now, but still crashing. Fucking crashed as I was finishing the last level of the forest without dying. Goddamn it.

Ahhh at least I'm ranked 1 on a few of the leaderboards. Or not apparently, which makes more sense. The PC leaderboards apparently just aren't organized well.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit, I tried a Dualshock, plugged in via USB adapter, and the game always registers Up and Left as being pressed - I've got this problem with no other game, and the calibration or xpadder are doing just fine.

I've got a 360 USB Arcadestick, though, but is this game playable with a stick?

Emitan

Bufbaf said:
Goddammit, I tried a Dualshock, plugged in via USB adapter, and the game always registers Up and Left as being pressed - I've got this problem with no other game, and the calibration or xpadder are doing just fine.

I've got a 360 USB Arcadestick, though, but is this game playable with a stick?
Apparently it's one of the many glitches in the game. At the moment only 360 controllers work. They're hoping to get a patch out by tomorrow.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright just started playing this and made it to the second world. So freaking good, the controls are just flawlessly responsive. God damn is it hard though, I don't know if I'm man enough to beat the meat. Yes Team Meat, feel free to use that as your tag line.

Insured

I tried validating the game install... And it replaced one file. No more crashing (at least any that prevented me from playing). Cleared all of world 1, and at 20 bandages a screen popped up and told me "unlocked teh internets", I thought it was XBLA exclusive? I surely can't see it anywhere. Does hitting 20 bandages actually unlock anything in the PC version?

Top Bottom