• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

vocab

Backfoggen said:
Ok, the fact that they just add characters in updates like that immediately redeemed the PC version.

I'm hopping we actually get teh internet chapters or chapters in general. I would love to see a vvvvvv chapter.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is one of the few games I've ever played where achievements are actually adding something to the experience. Tremendous amount of optional challenges that are actually all really good.

Wallach

EviLore said:
This is one of the few games I've ever played where achievements are actually adding something to the experience. Tremendous amount of optional challenges that are actually all really good.

I had a question about one of the achievement types - for the "Wood Boy", "Salt Boy" etc, do you just have to do the "light" side stages for that world all in one go? Or do you have to do both a "light" and "dark" side run without any deaths?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Retro stages can fuck off and die.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wallach said:
I had a question about one of the achievement types - for the "Wood Boy", "Salt Boy" etc, do you just have to do the "light" side stages for that world all in one go? Or do you have to do both a "light" and "dark" side run without any deaths?

Light side in one go.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
duckroll said:
The ones with bandages in them are the WORST. Always placed in such fucking unreasonable locations! :lol

I dont want to talk about it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
World 1 and 2 complete, light side and dark side, A+ on every level, and the the world 1 and 2 secret stages also complete. Still missing a few bandages, not sure where they are, I've gotten all the ones I've seen. Did the completing world 1 without dying achievement, which was extremely easy compared to, well, numerous individual dark side levels and the warp zone bandages and and the secret stages.

2447 deaths, 8 hours logged, and so much game left. In love <3

Anyone else with a 360 controller having issues with the jump button working correctly on occasion? I've probably died at least 50 times in the past few hours due to it not jumping when I clearly pressed the button. Nothing like this happens with any other game I use the 360 controller with. Pisses me the fuck off - for a game that requires precise controls, it's a little hard when the button press decides not to register for whatever reason.

EDIT: Oh, and the update has caused the game to crash fairly often.

OMG Aero

vocab said:
I'm hopping we actually get teh internet chapters or chapters in general. I would love to see a vvvvvv chapter.
I think they said that due to exclusivity, they can't put the internet chapters on PC. But once the level editor is out someone will just recreate those levels anyway.

I also remember them saying that the creator of VVVVVV is going to make some levels for the game.

EatChildren said:
Many levels are meticulously built for speed runs too. Because of this I find going very quickly through stages is just as easy of not easier than being slow and careful. Everything lines up nicely for clean, quick runs.

Yup. On many levels, if you run at full speed and stick the right jumps, you'll find that you can blast past the enemies and obstacles without stopping, while they would never line up for you quite the same way if you hesitate. Very satisfying.

vocab said:
Do non-completed glitch worlds stay on your map after you access them, and quit the game?

They're supposed to, at least. They stick around in the 360 version.

No he's right. Meatboy has floatyness to him. This game relies heavily on pressure sensitive movements so being spot on most of the time just won't happen.

Floatiness != lack of precision, though. Meat Boy has momentum and slipperiness, but they're predictable and neither prevents your commands from being recognized and implemented by the game instantly and in a predictable way. The game is near the top of 2D platformers in terms of responsive and consistent controls, IMO.

Emitan

Revolutionary said:
Anyone else with a 360 controller having issues with the jump button working correctly on occasion? I've probably died at least 50 times in the past few hours due to it not jumping when I clearly pressed the button. Nothing like this happens with any other game I use the 360 controller with. Pisses me the fuck off - for a game that requires precise controls, it's a little hard when the button press decides not to register for whatever reason.

I'm having the same issue. At first I thought it was because I was streaming it, but I was playing it yesterday and still had the issue.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"Okay, let's do this level."

"Ehhhh, I know I can do better than that..."

"Maybe if I maintain my speed well enough..."

"I totally lost a tenth of a second in that spot..."

*an hour passes*

supermeatboyscore3-1x.jpg

It's way too satisfying to complete a speed run of a level in this game in a way that you know you can. Visualization to completion may take several hundred attempts, but the game facilitates it so well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
fubarduck said:
You PC guys definitely have some catching up to do . . . the XBLA times for 3-1X are in the 13+ second range. ;)

We've only had 36 hours!

I feel like I'd be way better on something other than a 360 pad for this game, may have to switch to something else. Don't feel like I have enough precision with the analog stick for movement (since the dpad is basically unusable on the 360 pad) and the throw on the face buttons is maybe a bit too long for perfect jump timings, for me at least.

Red

Revolutionary said:

I raged about that problem earlier in the thread. Happens on 360 as well. Jump sometimes doesn't respond, seems random. It doesn't happen very often, but in a game that requires you to do the same motion so many times over it becomes very noticeable.

Super frustrating, I agree, and it's certainly my biggest problem with the game.

fubarduck

EviLore said:
We've only had 36 hours!

I feel like I'd be way better on something other than a 360 pad for this game, may have to switch to something else. Don't feel like I have enough precision with the analog stick for movement (since the dpad is basically unusable on the 360 pad) and the throw on the face buttons is maybe a bit too long for perfect jump timings, for me at least.

I use a TE stick. I typically don't use arcade joysticks for anything besides fighting games, but I found that the precision of a joystick + buttons is realllly useful in this game. I feel like it helps me think about my movement and improves my accuracy on button presses/holds. Also, my fingers don't get tired.

Crunched said:
I raged about that problem earlier in the thread. Happens on 360 as well. Jump sometimes doesn't respond, seems random. It doesn't happen very often, but in a game that requires you to do the same motion so many times over it becomes very noticeable.

Super frustrating, I agree, and it's certainly my biggest problem with the game.

No offense, but I don't think it's a fault of the game. I think you guys just might not understand the game's jump mechanics. There are times when a jump is not allowed. Different depending on character, of course.

Beezy

EviLore said:
We've only had 36 hours!

Have you even tried the dpad? It works just fine. I never went back to the analog stick after trying it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
EviLore said:
I've been loving my Street Fighter IV Fightpad on this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, I actually just got done giving my SF4 TE stick a shot, and was able to wall jump off the bottom edge of a wall perpetually, which I was in no way able to do with the 360 pad.

Holepunch

fubarduck said:
You PC guys definitely have some catching up to do . . . the XBLA times for 3-1X are in the 13+ second range. ;)

I think we will, once we start getting in that competitive spirit. And in that spirit,
Evilore.png

Hope you don't mind:D

The guy above us though? He's the only guy in the world right now who unlocked Mr. Minecraft. Who in case you haven't seen from his video, is as broken as shit.

Red

fubarduck said:
No offense, but I don't think it's a fault of the game. I think you guys just might not understand the game's jump mechanics. There are times when a jump is not allowed. Different depending on character, of course.
It's possible my controller's A button is worn out, but there's definitely something stopping me from jumping some of the time. There have been similar reports from others here. Most of the time the controls are pitch perfect, and then I hit A and nothing happens.

I use meat boy almost exclusively (love the speed he gets over the other characters). On 360 I've played up to halfway through Cotton Alley in the light world and finished the first three dark world stages, as well as all levels in teh internets. I've finished the first level and halfway of the second on two different PCs, with a few dark world stages here and there. I think I've played enough of the game that I'm confident in saying there is a problem with occasional missed jumps. I'm not at 100% like some here, but I'm past the point where misunderstanding the controls would have been a possibility.

Not trying to attack you for suggesting that, mind :lol

Just trying to support my argument. There are times where meat boy simply won't respond. It's not game breaking, but it's annoying.

Billychu said:
Nope. I've beaten the first three worlds so far and I'm pretty sure he's allowed to jump while running on a flat surface :lol

Yeah. It's not like every missed jump results in a death. Sometimes I jump before a wall and meat boy just continues running into it without ever leaving the ground. There have been plenty of runs into blades, needles, and bottomless pits, where I know I pressed A goddammit and meat boy just smiles and dives off the edge, and I sit there looking disgusted saying to myself "what in the fuck?"

Emitan

fubarduck said:
Nope. I've beaten the first three worlds so far and I'm pretty sure he's allowed to jump while running on a flat surface :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
But yeah I'll wait until proper non-360 controller support is patched in before playing further, I think.

webrunner

Beezy said:

PC leaderboards are fucked. I don't think I wanna double dip anymore.

Maybe there should be two leaderboards.

STEVE ONLY and NO STEVE.

Or just put a line between the Steves and the Steve-Nots.

Emitan

webrunner said:
Maybe there should be two leaderboards.

STEVE ONLY and NO STEVE.

Or just put a line between the Steves and the Steve-Nots.
I haven't checked the leaderboards since the patch (would crash about 30 seconds after view them), but this sounds ridiculous and needs to be fixed. I'm not yelling at the developers, just suggesting that it needs to be added to their list of things to fix.

Bebpo

Banned
You guys with jump problems, check if you're running d3doverrider, rivatuner, or any program that is forcing v-sync/triple buffering in the background. That cause jump delays and other minor timing issues.

fubarduck

Billychu said:

I'm on the last world, played all light and dark before it, have top 50 times on a lot of stages, and I've never not been able to jump on a flat surface. Seems kind of bizarre that it would never happen to me after playing that much if it's a real problem. Are you on 360 or PC?

I'm on 360 if that wasn't clear.

Holepunch said:
The guy above us though? He's the only guy in the world right now who unlocked Mr. Minecraft. Who in case you haven't seen from his video, is as broken as shit.

Holy. SHIT. How is Meat Ninja disabled on leaderboards, but Steve enabled? That's absolutely insane; he puts every other character to shame. It's not even like he looks particularly difficult to use. Characters like Tim, Alien Hominid, and Spelunky can take huge shortcuts in levels, but their abilities require a bit of skill to use (especially Spelunky, who fittingly benefits the most in levels that call for his ability), but anybody can walk up to a wall and press a button to remove it.

I agree that Steve should have his own leaderboard. His ability would make for some fun competition between Steve players, but as it is, there's no reason to use anybody else in 95% of levels, which fucks over people who want to play "properly" and get good times.

Suddenly the PC achievements for beating each of the first 5 worlds without dying don't look so hard...

Emitan

fubarduck said:
I'm on the last world, played all light and dark before it, have top 50 times on a lot of stages, and I've never not been able to jump on a flat surface. Seems kind of bizarre that it would never happen to me after playing that much if it's a real problem. Are you on 360 or PC?

I'm on 360 if that wasn't clear.
I'm on PC. Occasionally I can't jump, and I do understand your point that sometimes you can't jump. But some of the times the input fails are at points where I'm 100% sure I should be able to jump. 99.9% of the time it works flawlessly.

jiien

Just a quick question, that may have been answered before, so sorry!

I just want to make sure, you don't have to get the bandage in the same run that you A+ a level, right? If I A+ a level, and then select repeat when it's replaying, it will save my A+ status, and then I can just figure out how to get the bandage without dying, right?

Davidion

jiien said:

I just want to make sure, you don't have to get the bandage in the same run that you A+ a level, right? If I A+ a level, and then select repeat when it's replaying, it will save my A+ status, and then I can just figure out how to get the bandage without dying, right?

Yes, you can do them separately.

Emitan

jiien said:

Yes. Whenever you complete a level, A+ it, or get the bandage, it's saved.

just came in here to brag that I am a freshly minted GOLDEN GOD on 360 AKA 100%'ed the entire game. Currently ranked 189 in the world and am working on speedrunning the entire game to get higher on the leaderboard.

If anyone on 360 still plays and want some leaderboard comp feel free to add me, my GT is The Visualizer

Top Bottom