• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Red

I'm getting random spurts of slowdown in the PC version. Usually during spark effects from saws. It'll turn into a slideshow for 4 seconds or so. Also skipping frames here and there, really frustrating when trying to land a precise jump.

Very disappointed in the PC release so far. Hoping for a patch asap :(
Insured said:
I tried validating the game install... And it replaced one file. No more crashing (at least any that prevented me from playing). Cleared all of world 1, and at 20 bandages a screen popped up and told me "unlocked teh internets", I thought it was XBLA exclusive? I surely can't see it anywhere. Does hitting 20 bandages actually unlock anything in the PC version?
I believe teh internets is meant to appear, but there's a bug preventing it from showing up.

Crunched said:
I'm getting random spurts of slowdown in the PC version. Usually during spark effects from saws. It'll turn into a slideshow for 4 seconds or so. Also skipping frames here and there, really frustrating when trying to land a precise jump.

Very disappointed in the PC release so far. Hoping for a patch asap :(

I believe teh internets is meant to appear, but there's a bug preventing it from showing up.

Teh internets is definitely supposed to be Xbox only, unless something has changed and they haven't mentioned it as a surprise.

Nabs

Wallach said:
Can't decide whether to grab this tomorrow or just wait until the upcoming Steam holiday sale.
probably wont be on sale until the mac version is ready. you should have just grabbed it at $10 when you had the chance.

Wallach

Nabs said:
probably wont be on sale until the mac version is ready. you should have just grabbed it at $10 when you had the chance.

Didn't realize that was a thing until you just said it. Oh well.

2Crisis

holy crap. 2.5 hours later I got the Kid

263ilgp.jpg

went through a whole bombcast while doing these 3 levels. Thank god its over. I think that added around 1000 deaths to my total.

Love this game. On screenshots the colors look kinda odd, but once it's running it totally works & fits together well.

Those black exploding drumsticks are my current worst enemy. So unpredictable.

I have no diff. running Steam version. A new version of that visual+ library (or whatever it was) took care of everything.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Am i the only one not experiencing crashes?

Aside from it crashing when i changed to windowed mode and when exiting, it works just fine.

Downloaded it tonight but can't play it tonight. After reading some stuff, I validated my install and every single time I validate, it says one file couldn't be validated and needs to be redownloaded. Anyone else getting this?

MNC

Easy_D said:

Aside from it crashing when i changed to windowed mode and when exiting, it works just fine.
I raise my hand; it crashes at the same places.

ArjanN

Megadrive said:
Downloaded it tonight but can't play it tonight. After reading some stuff, I validated my install and every single time I validate, it says one file couldn't be validated and needs to be redownloaded. Anyone else getting this?

I think that's normal for some games, because of settings/save game changes your files don't exactly match up with the dafault ones.

:D Random crashes, something to do with resizing an array.

Anyone know how to backup your saves? I don't trust them enough to patch it raw dog. Hoping it is savegame.dat in the steam folder.

1600 deaths at 24% total, guessing I suck but I'm having fun, which is rare for tough games.

Davidion

HadesGigas said:
Dark world has bandages too.

Yes, I was dumb and didn't realize where the dark world was.

I jumped into the very first dark world map and realized how the difficulty was going to be scaled going forward; I think my temple twitched a little. :lol

LOVE IT

Visualante said:
:D Random crashes, something to do with resizing an array.

Anyone know how to backup your saves? I don't trust them enough to patch it raw dog. Hoping it is savegame.dat in the steam folder.

The dat files in the steamapps folders should do it. I should probably back it up as well.

RickA238

Just got this last night (PC), and I just wanted to say that it is awesome! Much smoother gameplay than I had imagined. It looks great, very clean in 1080p as well (I doubt it runs at native 1080p on 360).

My only gripe is that you cannot natively map controls. Haven't dug through the .cfg files yet. I'll probably just Xpadder it (I use an original XBOX controller with XBCD drivers....the setup always proves to be interesting).

epmode

Easy_D said:

Same. Still, patch is almost here.

Keep the LOL PC GAMING comments coming though!
RickA238 said:
My only gripe is that you cannot natively map controls. Haven't dug through the .cfg files yet. I'll probably just Xpadder it (I use an original XBOX controller with XBCD drivers....the setup always proves to be interesting).
Controller mapping is coming in a patch, supposedly. As is the level editor. This was a obviously a rushed production.

BTW, I don't think Xpadder is going to help here. I posted earlier in this thread about 360 pad emulation (link) and that's exactly what you need to do. I also use XBCD, BTW.

Chavelo

Game has a fair share of the bugs on the PC (can't seem to properly close the game...), but WOW... Really tight gameplay, challenging yet not insane levels, awesome music by Danny Baranowsky (way better than his Canabalt music), and hilarious references to other video games...

Hopefully the patch gets sent to Steam soon enough, then it would a contender for my GOTY! XD

Also, I was thinking of making a thread on how to set up your DS3/Saturn USB/Generic USB controller to be emulated as an XBOX 360 controller with MotionInJoy and XBOXCE. Would anyone be cool with that?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah buzzsaws seem to slow down my PC. Don't know if it's because AMD has shitty 2D drivers or what.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
epmode said:
Keep the LOL PC GAMING comments coming though!Controller mapping is coming in a patch, supposedly. As is the level editor. This was a obviously a rushed production.
I thought the level editor was coming much later.

Enjoying the game so far even if I've only done the first world. I'm hoping the patch will also fix the bug preventing the settings from being remembered. Having to adjust the volume every time is a bit annoying.

Volcynika

Update on their site. Sorry for poor formatting

Hello everyone here's a long post about Steam,

It's been quite a busy night/day. I woke up at around 5PM (after going to bed at 1PM) to some people having some issues with Super Meat Boy. This was expected, and I expected today to be a sort of hellish day. So let me just cut to the chase.

The Steam Update is uploading as I write this post, it should go live sometime later in the day after it gets pushed to the production servers. This build addresses the following issues:

- CRASH ON STARTUP Several Users reported crashes on Startup. An early version of the Steam Install Script got uploaded by me that didn't fully run DirectX, also I'm not sure I had all the proper prerequisites packed in the build. Either way, I have packed in everything that should be needed for DX, as well as updated the install script. Those who have already installed the game, I'm not sure this will help you...but if you are experiencing crashes on load after you have downloaded the update. Simply Click Here and run the DirectX Web Installer.

- CRASHING DURING GAMPLAY AFTER ABOUT 3 LEVELS There was an error where save games weren't saving, mainly because a folder was missing in the installer, not sure why it got made on some builds and not others, but it was the problem. This would cause grabbing bandage girl to crash at random times as well as initial runs of the game to crash. Those of you that had problems with the game starting even after the install of DirectX, this could have been your problem. This issue has been (As long as the update makes the folder) resolved.

- STUCK RESOLUTIONS / INVALID MONITOR INPUT Users would get stuck in resolutions that their monitors would not display. Not sure what is causing this because I look at what the monitor can display, but either way I made a work around. Users can now force resolution and window settings to get the game to a working state where they can adjust them further. The commands are as follows:

-fullscreen force full screen mode
-windowed force windowed mode
-640x480 force 640 x 480 resolution
-800x600 force 800 x 600 resolution
-1024x768 force 1024 x 768 resolution

With windowed and fullscreen options, the game will default to the last res that was tried, valid or no..so if you are having problems I recommend following the steps below to fix it. (I'm sure the majority of you know how to do this, but for those that don't see below).

Go to Library, then Right Click on Super Meat Boy and go to Properties

Click on Set Launch Options

Fill in the options starting with dashes and separated by spaces in the text field

-NO BROWNIE OR DR FETUS BOSSES I'm a moron and forgot to upload the boss files for Dr. Fetus and Brownie. Players would play their stages and see no bosses. I uploaded them now, they are in.

-MENU CRASHES There were some menu bugs, mainly with the pause menu and the character select menu in game. These have been fixed

PERFORMANCE ISSUES

We have scaled the textures best we can. There are 3 modes available to the command line. The gamedoes a miniprofile thing that determines what resolution and texture detail you should be running at...but sometimes this can be wrong. To help adjust performance issues you have 3 options:

-highdetail Highest detail
-meddetail Medium detail
-lowdetail Lowest detail

-lowdetail runs fine on a netbook. I have an Asus Aspire One. 1.6Ghz Intel Atom, 1GB Ram, Integrated Intel GMA 950 inside. If I switch on low detail, the game maintains a 50-60fps for most levels. It is very playable with extremely small load times. My computer here, with an NVidia 260, Q6600 Quad Core, 6GB Ram runs the game at like 400FPS Un-VSynced. So that's basically you're range. Those are the two computers I had available during development, so they represent high end and low end.

Speaking of VSync, the game needs to be V Synced. I can't stress this enough. If you are experiencing Cutscenes running fast, or Meatboy freaking out while standing still, just switch on VSync and you'll be fine. This is something we cannot fix since Graphics Drivers can choose to ignore developer settings. I tried artifically limiting the framerate today and honestly I didn't like how it looked. It wasn't as smooth as VSynced (obviously) so...just VSync it.

If your game is running slow or you are having slow load times, just do lowdetail and a lower resolution and you'll be fine. If my little Aspire One running XP can do it, we can all do it:)

FOR TOMORROW

We didn't get the Non-Xbox 360 controller support in tonight because there were more pressing issues. It's next on my list though. I recently rewrote all of the input stuff (right around the time XBLA came out) and Direct Input got neglected. Sorry about that, but we will be supporting Direct Input controllers very very soon.

Mr. Minecraft crashes the game when chosen from the Character Select Menu. You can select him from the character select in game though.

There are various bugs with the new characters (VVVVVV, Naija, etc). These will all be addressed in the next update.

Game still crashes on Exit, this doesn't affect anything, won't corrupt a save, but yes, is annoying. Since it didn't break the gameplay of the game, I didn't address it this evening.

FINAL NOTES

Thanks to all the fans that sent us emails, Ed and I answered as many as I could (I did about 300 I think) and then got to work. I read every single one and if Ed or I don't respond, it doesn't mean we didn't see it. Doing two launches within a month is tough especially when your team consists of two people. I understand the frustration a lot of you are feeling but all I can ask is please be patient. Ed and I have been up all night trying to push a patch out that fixes issues that are preventing our fans from playing the game. Just bare with us, we're committed to getting it right. PC is not an afterthought, it was just developed on mine and Eds machines, I'm sure if we lived with all of you, all of your machines would run the game as well as ours. We'll all get there soon, I promise.

Love,

Tommy

stuminus3

Team Meat said:
I'm a moron and forgot to upload the boss files for Dr. Fetus and Brownie. Players would play their stages and see no bosses. I uploaded them now, they are in.
:lol :lol :lol

vocab

Lyphen said:
Yeah buzzsaws seem to slow down my PC. Don't know if it's because AMD has shitty 2D drivers or what.

You know, I actually use to give ati a lot of shit for 2d performance until I realized most of the 2d problems have to do with windows 7. Tom's Hardware, and the outdated fba client on GGPO client brought me to that conclusion. SMB runs fine on my 5850. I'm still questioning some of the bugs I'm running into (invisible bandages?). The buzz saws dont slow down on my comp, but it appears there is very minor initial lag on the start up (which the console version has). That's probably a design choice simply because a sound plays to let players know the saw is coming.

Overall the game is pretty damn solid.

stuminus3 said:
:lol :lol :lol

I forgot to upload the last level. Sorry guys!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
vocab said:
You know, I actually use to give ati a lot of shit for 2d performance until I realized most of the 2d problems have to do with windows 7. Tom's Hardware, and the outdated fba client on GGPO client brought me to that conclusion. SMB runs fine on my 5850. I'm still questioning some of the bugs I'm running into (invisible bandages?). The buzz saws dont slow down on my comp, but it appears there is very minor initial lag on the start up (which the console version has). That's probably a design choice simply because a sound plays to let players know the saw is coming.

Overall the game is pretty damn solid.

I forgot to upload the last level. Sorry guys!
I'm on a 5870 and the only place where I have experienced slowdown so far is the level select screen of all places :lol

Emitan

Lyphen said:
Which card do you have? My 5770 runs it perfectly fine except for a half second long stutter every half hour or so. Even the videos I recorded while streaming look ok (they're on demand if anyone wants to watch them ;) ).
My game never crashed during gameplay, only if I wanted to look at leaderboards or switch from fullscreen to windowed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
5750, on 10.11 (older than 10.10e). It was pretty noticeable on the Dark World stage with the bandage right above the middle buzzsaw (not at my gaming PC so I can't exactly tell the stage number, world 1 though).

And yeah, I may be wrong in blaming AMD, but I'm just tired of hotfixes and still having cursor corruption in SC2/HoN after a year and a half of complaints. They're my go-to blame source.

vocab

Lyphen said:
5750, on 10.11 (older than 10.10e). It was pretty noticeable on the Dark World stage with the bandage right above the middle buzzsaw (not at my gaming PC so I can't exactly tell the stage number, world 1 though).

And yeah, I may be wrong in blaming AMD, but I'm just tired of hotfixes and still having cursor corruption in SC2/HoN after a year and a half of complaints. They're my go-to blame source.

Ah cursor corruption. So good. It doesn't happen as often these days, but it exists. Hey, it isn't as bad as the infamous nvidia driver crash in Hon. My whole pug had nvidia cards, and they always crashed. One went ATI, and the other stepped up to 460 and they don't crash now. My two friends always CTD though in the middle of a team fight. Some of the big AOE fights that run at like 30-40 fps kill their computer.

pirata

Well, I just got to the warp zone with Jill in it. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get her to do her stuff. No matter what button I press, Jill won't do her "air-brake" thing I've seen people talk about. I'm playing on an SNES controller with 360 controller emulation, if that matters.

Help?

Emitan

pirata said:
Well, I just got to the warp zone with Jill in it. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get her to do her stuff. No matter what button I press, Jill won't do her "air-brake" thing I've seen people talk about. I'm playing on an SNES controller with 360 controller emulation, if that matters.

Help?
Rapidly tap the jump button.

Red

Visualante said:
Got to the boss in hell. Boss really isn't fun, if the next boss is this bad I won't play any further.
Next boss is the easiest in the game.

Hell boss I wasn't real big on... it's simple memorization, not difficult at all, but completely against the style of the rest of the game. Two steps to the left, two steps to the right, jump, repeat, etc. Kind of boring.

Holepunch

Visualante said:
Got to the boss in hell. Boss really isn't fun, if the next boss is this bad I won't play any further.
He's really not that hard at all. It's classic memorize pattern.

Tip:
If you're having trouble dodging his fistslide, jump when he blinks. You can also avoid all 4 fist pounds in a row by standing on the inner edge of the slightly raised platform.

As for me...I'm currently have the second stage of The Kid's Warpzone minimized. I really wanted to take a break but also really don't want to do the first stage again. This game...

Holepunch said:
He's really not that hard at all. It's classic memorize pattern.

Tip:
If you're having trouble dodging his fistslide, jump when he blinks. You can also avoid all 4 fist pounds in a row by standing on the inner edge of the slightly raised platform.

As for me...I'm currently have the second stage of The Kid's Warpzone minimized. I really wanted to take a break but also really don't want to do the first stage again. This game...
I've been counting the frames, it's the timing I can't do. I managed to get through the three swipes okay but then the smashes seem random.

Psy-Phi

Easy_D said:

I only get a crash when I exit, reminds me of Source games on Windows Vista/7 when not run as admin last year/beginning of this year. Game runs fine, and it should, my system beats the crap out of my 360, and I'd be disappointed to have any slow down of any kind.

Glad I waited for the PC version personally.

Nabs

Billychu said:
It should be enabled by default.

EDIT: Derp. Nevermind.
might be. i just had d3d on and i have a locked 60. heard them say everyone should force vsync, so I figured it might be an issue. not sure tbh.

edit: there's a super meat boy patch

Emitan

Nabs said:
might be. i just had d3d on and i have a locked 60. heard them say everyone should force vsync, so I figured it might be an issue. not sure tbh.

edit: there's a super meat boy patch
I thought that you just wanted it on so I was saying it was on by default and when I edited I was thinking that you wanted to force it due to the game needing it on. Now I'm just confused as to what either of us meant :lol

Top Bottom