• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I was playing it a bit offline earlier and unlocked both CommanderVideo and the Head Crab. Will that mean those achievements will forever be grey?

TheExodu5

Banned
catfish said:
haha

you wait until you can make it through half of the first level, then you start getting REALLY mad.

I completed it, the 3rd level is freak material.

Once you understand the timing of the 3rd level, it's by far the easiest.

duckroll

I was doing one of the stages on World 4 where I noticed a recurring bug which I had also previously noticed in some other stages. In some very narrow horizontal passages, sometimes Meat Boy randomly dies when approaching the passage. This can be totally random and annoying because there's no reason the passageway should kill you.

Has anyone else encountered this? The stage in question here is the one where there's a moving platform at the start, and it goes into a short narrow passage before coming out and dropping down a lava waterfall. You have to then avoid the missiles being fired and get back on the platform before it goes into another narrow horizontal passage. There are buzzsaws you have to climb and jump to avoid next, after which you go through another narrow passage before reaching Bandage Girl.

Played this stage a ton of times, and twice I encountered instant death as the moving platform approached the first narrow gateway. One other time I got all the way to the very end flawlessly only to randomly explode and die as the platform moved into the final narrow gateway right before Girl. It's really weird, and I'm wondering what could be causing this...

TheExodu5

Banned
duckroll said:
I was doing one of the stages on World 4 where I noticed a recurring bug which I had also previously noticed in some other stages. In some very narrow horizontal passages, sometimes Meat Boy randomly dies when approaching the passage. This can be totally random and annoying because there's no reason the passageway should kill you.

Has anyone else encountered this? The stage in question here is the one where there's a moving platform at the start, and it goes into a short narrow passage before coming out and dropping down a lava waterfall. You have to then avoid the missiles being fired and get back on the platform before it goes into another narrow horizontal passage. There are buzzsaws you have to climb and jump to avoid next, after which you go through another narrow passage before reaching Bandage Girl.

Played this stage a ton of times, and twice I encountered instant death as the moving platform approached the first narrow gateway. One other time I got all the way to the very end flawlessly only to randomly explode and die as the platform moved into the final narrow gateway right before Girl. It's really weird, and I'm wondering what could be causing this...

You sure the platform isn't somehow crushing you? That's the basis for the death, though maybe its unfounded in your circumstances.

Emitan

duckroll said:

Earlier in the thread, someone said if you stand in the middle of the platform you won't die. It's some bizarre physics glitch.

Helmholtz

duckroll said:

I'm not entirely sure what level you're talking about, and I don't have time to check, but maybe a buzzsaw or something isn't displaying? I remember a weird glitch happening after I alt-tabbed back into the game where one of those robotic eye thingy's lasers was invisible.
Edit: probably not the case judging from the above posts

duckroll

TheExodu5 said:
You sure the platform isn't somehow crushing you? That's the basis for the death, though maybe its unfounded in your circumstances.

Actually I'm pretty sure either the platform or the ceiling is somehow crushing me. Logically that would be what triggers the death. My issue is with how it seems to be a glitch as opposed to an intended pitfall.

Billychu said:
Earlier in the thread, someone said if you stand in the middle of the platform you won't die. It's some bizarre physics glitch.

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one who has experienced it. I wonder if it's something specific that's bugged which they can fix, or if it's some general problem which is harder to correct or pinpoint.

Red

duckroll said:

Yeah, it's happened to me on the same level across 360 and PC. Saved the replay on PC for posterity. At least it's an easy stage, so an accidental death doesn't do much to frustrate.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hrm, upon further testing the TE stick doesn't feel like the greatest choice because of the distance between left and right on the joystick. Need really responsive motion between the two for air control in this game. Gonna order a couple different kinds of alternative usb gamepads to try out.

fubarduck

EviLore said:
Hrm, upon further testing the TE stick doesn't feel like the greatest choice because of the distance between left and right on the joystick. Need really responsive motion between the two for air control in this game. Gonna order a couple different kinds of alternative usb gamepads to try out.

Interesting . . . I gotta say for me it's 100x better than the 360 pad, but of course the 360's D-Pad isn't the mecha of gaming pads. I feel like a Dual Shock 3 would be great too actually, lol.

Why isn't Quote (Cave Story) in this? That would have been PERFECT. Regardless, I need to get this soon. What kind of joypad are GAFfers finding to be best for this game?

theultimo

Green Scar said:
Why isn't Quote (Cave Story) in this? That would have been PERFECT. Regardless, I need to get this soon. What kind of joypad are GAFfers finding to be best for this game?
Quote isn't because they did not want him to sadly. I'm using the 360 gamepad...used to it from 360 version.

I'm using this for the pc (and 360) version:

20090104020700qS6m.jpg

Comes with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B19BIO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works really well with this game.

Heh, if anything it's actually too small. :) It's about the size of an NES pad. It is great for this game though, I do prefer using it over an arcade stick. Comes in handy for other stuff too.

Red

MNC said:
SON OF A BITCH. CARTRIDGE DUMP, FIRST BANDAGE. IT IS JUST PLAIN ANNOYING.
I couldn't get it on 360, but got it after a few minutes of trying on PC :lol

I agree, it's a pain. Seems impossible at first.

I don't think I can do the rapture. 17 levels to make it to the boss is just too much for me.
I don't have the time, until Christmas break. By then I think I'll be done with the game.

Shame I really wanted to play with Josef and Mr. Minecraft.

TheExodu5

Banned
EviLore said:

May I suggest a SNES gamepad? Fantastic d-pad for 2D platformers.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Once you understand the timing of the 3rd level, it's by far the easiest.

that actually wasn't my experience. I'm one of the low minority that had issues with 'why the fuck didn't he jump I pressed jump'

had some baaad problems with this level. The xbox ran for 2 days, Not sure how much actual playtime though.

MNC said:
SON OF A BITCH. CARTRIDGE DUMP, FIRST BANDAGE. IT IS JUST PLAIN ANNOYING.

yeah that one had me stumped for awhile on 360, you got to hold run while you wall jump off one of the single blocks and pull back a little at the beginning of the wall jump to get that extra bit of height in your jump. It's a pain wall jumping those blocks tho as the wall detection is really stingy as I slipped down too many times when I thought I caught the block perfect for a wall jump.

The one in the 3rd level of the that warp zone is a lot easier...

Davey Cakes

I feel that Super Meat Boy is probably one of the only 2D platformers I've played where controlling with a stick seems more appropriate than with a d-pad. Something about the physics and movement.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rash said:
I feel that Super Meat Boy is probably one of the only 2D platformers I've played where controlling with a stick seems more appropriate than with a d-pad. Something about the physics and movement.

Good luck doing The Kid with a stick.

Wallach

catfish said:
that actually wasn't my experience. I'm one of the low minority that had issues with 'why the fuck didn't he jump I pressed jump'

had some baaad problems with this level. The xbox ran for 2 days, Not sure how much actual playtime though.

While I agree with him that the 3rd stage was easier than the first two, I also had quite a lot of problems with the game registering jumps on that one. I even saw the fucker jump DOWN instead of UP on a double jump which doesn't even make sense. I've seen plenty of other weirdness in this game, like dying on the second glitch stage when I touched a ceiling during a jump that had lava on the other side, and straight-up running through a stationary saw blade on the ground (after another instance of not recognizing the jump input) which didn't kill me.

UrbanRats

i had only one glitch so far.
In a stage, i couldn't jump (mashed the A button for 10 seconds, nothing), then reloaded the stage and everything worked, never had that problem again (or any other bug, for that matter).

Volcynika

Firehead said:
Dammit. Game crashes when trying to enter Rapture now. I wanted to attempt to get The Kid again...

SuperMeatBoy Team Meat
Newest update breaks the Rapture, it has a missing sound file. Avoid it for now, I will push another update tonight.

duckroll said:

I was the one talking about this before, its so bad that I cant actually get past that point without dying, it happens with similar platforms in later Hell levels for me too. Supposedly standing in the middle helps, but it hasn't helped me.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
I have never had a misregistered jump.

Happens a lot in this game. Only happens in certain situations though (start of spawn).

IWBTG is way worse though. The double jumps barely work half the time because of buggyness nature of that game.

Bebpo

Banned
So apparently the latest pc patch broke the game for me. Whenever I click on rapture, which is the world I'm on, the game now crashes.

I also get the swirling windows icon hovering from the moment I run it.

Game was working great pre-patch! :( Now I can't play :(

Gribbix

Bebpo said:
So apparently the latest pc patch broke the game for me. Whenever I click on rapture, which is the world I'm on, the game now crashes.

I also get the swirling windows icon hovering from the moment I run it.

Game was working great pre-patch! :( Now I can't play :(
Yeah, they mentioned that the latest patch broke The Rapture on their Twitter account. A new patch should be up tonight:
Team Meat said:
Newest update breaks the Rapture, it has a missing sound file. Avoid it for now, I will push another update tonight.

TheExodu5

Banned
vocab said:
Happens a lot in this game. Only happens in certain situations though (start of spawn).

Jumps don't register off the spawn because Meat Boy spawns a little bit off the ground. You need to wait for him to land.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
Good luck doing The Kid with a stick.
It's so much easier doing the kid's levels with a stick compared to the 360's d-pad. So much easier. But then I guess that's like saying it's easier shoveling dirt with a shovel instead of a rabid squirrel.

jett

D-Member
EviLore said:

dude, you can use a dual shock 3 with motionjoy.

Top Bottom