• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Crunched said:
How does he not have Living in the Past if he's at 100%? He'd be missing bandages from the warp zones.

Hm, he has Old School, so it must be a bug.
Yes he mentioned it a while ago that it's bugged.

Wallach

Game fucking crashed while I was doing the escape stage of The End. Not going back to this until they get yet another patch out.

duckroll

I think Team Meat had very good intentions when they decided to patch the game every day after launch. Unfortunately, they seem to have learnt the hard way that if you keep releasing minor patches every day without having a good buffer for testing each patch, small unintended mistakes can lead to breaking the game regularly as a result.

I'll rather they spend a bit more time on the testing process before releasing a patch, and instead of patching stuff in every other day, a general fix/tune-up every week or every two weeks is more than enough.

snack

UrbanRats said:
Currently, i'm using the 360 with the analog, i wonder if it's better with the ps3 d-pad.
The PS3 D-Pad is very precise. There's no way I'm playing this game on the PC with the 360 analog. I can't stand it.
Lyphen said:
Weird, my the cursor is back ingame. Except now it's always the "waiting" wheel.
Same here. I got it to disappear after fiddling with my MotionJoy settings though.

Arozay

Noticed something while playing 3-19x, hold right on spawn until death, every second spawn you'll die without even getting a floor down. Something to do with the turret reset I'm guessing.

Wallach

Zaro said:
Noticed something while playing 3-19x, hold right on spawn until death, every second spawn you'll die without even getting a floor down. Something to do with the turret reset I'm guessing.

I've noticed similar timing things on other stages. I want to say it was a world 5 light stage, where you start right next to three sets of +-shaped cannons; if you hold right and dash from each spawn point, every 2nd or 3rd life (can't recall) you'll die to the turret, while the others you won't. It wouldn't really surprise me if they make micro-adjustments like this given the game's shtick.

Helmholtz

I spent hours today trying to do The Kid's warp zone. I can get pretty far in the first stage - up to this point:
25aqaut.png

but I can't make that long ass jump across to the safe spot below. I'm doing it like that picture tells me to afaik, anyone have any tips? I almost always die on the spikes at the top. I've only made it to that safe patch 2 times and I didn't do it like the picture, I just dropped down and somehow double jumped over. I can't repeat that strategy though.
God this is really pissing me off :lol I'm done for today. I swear I accumulated over 1000 deaths from this level alone.

Red

Helmholtz said:
I spent hours today trying to do The Kid's warp zone. I can get pretty far in the first stage - up to this point:
25aqaut.png

but I can't make that long ass jump across to the safe spot below. I'm doing it like that picture tells me to afaik, anyone have any tips?
God this is really pissing me off :lol I'm done for today. I swear I accumulated over 1000 deaths from this level alone.
The pic is showing the easiest way, though it is possibly to not go left to wall grab, and simply use your extra jump to head right and over the spikes.

You'll get it eventually. I didn't have much trouble with the first kid stage, and that part in particular didn't bother me. I did it the way the pic says to. My best advice is to keep trying. Persistence pays off in Meat Boy. Each little tweak you make with every attempt brings you one step closer.

I may be misunderstanding where the problem is. Are you getting to the lower platform? If so, the timing there is similar to the jumps in Ogmo's warp zone.

Wallach

Helmholtz said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/25aqaut.png
but I can't make that long ass jump across to the safe spot below. I'm doing it like that picture tells me to afaik, anyone have any tips?

I don't jump onto that little wall there on the left of your circled area. I make a second jump from just underneath the lower hanging spikes and it takes me far enough to get to the lower area on the right.

Edit - I don't know if that is easier or harder for most people but it is much easier for me. I feel like there is a lot of slush in terms of adjusting momentum in mid-air in this game so I try to do it as little as possible.

Helmholtz

Okay guys thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I have a question though, if I hold right trigger when I jump in mid-air will I go further?

Red

Helmholtz said:
Okay guys thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I have a question though, if I hold right trigger when I jump in mid-air will I go further?
Yeah, same as holding X. It will increase your momentum.

TheExodu5

Banned
Helmholtz said:
25aqaut.png

but I can't make that long ass jump across to the safe spot below. I'm doing it like that picture tells me to afaik, anyone have any tips? I almost always die on the spikes at the top. I've only made it to that safe patch 2 times and I didn't do it like the picture, I just dropped down and somehow double jumped over. I can't repeat that strategy though.

Hold run when you get to that point. You'll go a lot farther.

Helmholtz

TheExodu5 said:
Hold run when you get to that point. You'll go a lot farther.
Yup, that's what I've been doing wrong. If I just drop down and do a single double jump while holding run I can make it across. Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish this level once and for all :p

Beezy

Helmholtz said:
Yup, that's what I've been doing wrong. If I just drop down and do a single double jump while holding run I can make it across. Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish this level once and for all :p
...why aren't you holding down the run button at all times?

MNC

What did the two most recent updates do?

1. Fixed tofu boy.

2. ???? Fix the rapture crash?

Edit: I was hoping for a leaderboard fix and replay fix..... All is still fucked here :(

2Crisis

woo, its 4am but all 100 bandages are mine! The character you get really is incredibly awesome and totally breaks the game haha.

By far the hardest bandage for me was the 5-17 dark world. I _HATE_ the missile launchers.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GWX said:
Seems like Steam is downloading the whole game again for me. 231MB. I wonder why...
Unfortunately, that seems to be how their patching works. Everything is stored in two .dat files.

GWX

Lyphen said:
Unfortunately, that seems to be how their patching works. Everything is stored in two .dat files.

The weirdest thing is that nothing changed after the update. And worse, I just unlocked Jill and the achievement didn't unlock :(

edit: fixed a typo

Red

MNC said:
What did the two most recent updates do?

1. Fixed tofu boy.

2. ???? Fix the rapture crash?

Edit: I was hoping for a leaderboard fix and replay fix..... All is still fucked here :(
What do you mean about fixing tofu boy? Does he move properly now? Or is it just a leaderboard fix?

MNC

Crunched said:
What do you mean about fixing tofu boy? Does he move properly now? Or is it just a leaderboard fix?
Tofu boy didn't load on med and low detail. I'm on meddetail for extra fps so...

For me, all that's left is replays and leaderboards. Leaderboards have an empty string, replays don't play at all and have 0/0/0 0/3/0 as dates, and stuff.

Helmholtz

Beezy said:
...why aren't you holding down the run button at all times?
Uh, because The Guy warp zone is impossible to do if you hold run the entire time? I do hold it when I'm playing meatboy levels though, A+'d most of the light world levels.

OnPoint

Helmholtz said:
Uh, because The Guy warp zone is impossible to do if you hold run the entire time? I do hold it when I'm playing meatboy levels though, A+'d most of the light world levels.

Untrue. I rarely ever let off the run in this game and that includes the Kid's warp zone.

hank_tree

OnPoint said:
Untrue. I rarely ever let off the run in this game and that includes the Kid's warp zone.

Fair enough. It's definitely easier without holding the run button but whatever floats your boat.

Helmholtz

OnPoint said:
Didn't know you could beat it with run held the whole time. I was just basing what I said on the guide team meat linked to which tells you to run two times.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
darkpaladinmfc said:
My Super Meat Boy is broken now... Won't recognise my gamepad even though it did before, and I get no sound once I go to the main menu.

There's a bug right now where the sound settings change themselves to zero when you get to the title screen. Just go into the sound settings and change them back.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
EviLore said:
There's a bug right now where the sound settings change themselves to zero when you get to the title screen. Just go into the sound settings and change them back.
I get the opposite actually :lol. Sound is way too loud and full of static.

Edit: Holy shit, crazy impossibly high values, pic incoming

No pic, I guess, but sound was at around 400k out of 100. Changed it to 100 for both and it seems to be sticking.

EviLore said:
Thanks, but my controller still won't work :(.

snack

darkpaladinmfc said:
PS3 controller with MotionJoy emulating a 360 controller. Has been working perfectly since release day, only just started having problems when the sound got bugged.
I'm using the exact same. Hmm... Try plugging in the PS3 first then turning on the MotionJoy application. Sometimes when doing it the other way around, the game won't recognize the controller.

toythatkills said:
Where, oh where, is the Xbox 360 patch? Wasn't it submitted like a month ago or something?
Shouldn't 360 owners be used to waiting a month or two for patches on XBLA, because Microsoft quality assurance. Where quality is assured TM.

MNC

To be honest, I'd have preferred the whole quality patch thing now... I'd rather wait a few days for a proper patch (except for drastic things like crash on startup) then get a new patch everyday that fixes one thing, but breaks two.

MNC said:
To be honest, I'd have preferred the whole quality patch thing now... I'd rather wait a few days for a proper patch (except for drastic things like crash on startup) then get a new patch everyday that fixes one thing, but breaks two.
There's always the option to say "don't auto update" when you're happy with how the game is going. And then you can wait for forums/twitter to confirm or deny any issues with particular setups.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, the patch a day thing is getting annoying, especially since they're all over 100MB. Good call on the auto-update thing, going to disable them and stick to Lara Croft and some other games until I know I'm getting a working patch.

Top Bottom