• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

The Hermit

Unlocked the goddam Kid, WTF was that...

You though Stage 2 of the Guy was the worst? Jesus, it was by far the easiest for me, died probably about 10 times, compared to the hundred of bodies the last and especially the first stage took.

I am reliefed... that was not fun at all.

Red

Baiano19 said:
Unlocked the goddam Kid, WTF was that...

You though Stage 2 of the Guy was the worst? Jesus, it was by far the easiest for me, died probably about 10 times, compared to the hundred of bodies the last and especially the first stage took.

I am reliefed... that was not at all.
I thought kid 1 was surprisingly easy, did not find it difficult at all. The second stage, my god, what a horror. The third one was like taking a break after that frustration.

JEKKI

whoo~!! started playing again today after a real long time, but I still wanna 100% the game.

made it all the way up to Stage 10 in Cotton Alley.

I swear tho... it seems the harder they stages get, the game gets super generous with the time limits.

I can sit there for days and still A+ these stages.

JEKKI said:
whoo~!! started playing again today after a real long time, but I still wanna 100% the game.

made it all the way up to Stage 10 in Cotton Alley.

I swear tho... it seems the harder they stages get, the game gets super generous with the time limits.

I can sit there for days and still A+ these stages.

Yeah, past a certain point, they're all 60 or 65 seconds; they're not designed to be challenging times, Team Meat just assumed that if you beat it once, you probably never want to do it again so free A+ for you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A Link to the Snitch said:
I'd really love to see Joe Danger in this.
A character in a game exclusive to the PS3 in a game that has been said will never come to the PS3? Don't get you hopes up.

Drkirby said:
A character in a game exclusive to the PS3 in a game that has been said will never come to the PS3? Don't get you hopes up.

Well, Joe Danger is not exclusive to PS3; it's merely due to their financial situation. They spent basically all of their allotted money until they ran out and then released it. The only thing they've mentioned in terms of porting to other systems is that they aren't interested in the 360.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, leaderboards are working for me again since this latest patch. Had to go through all of chapter 6 again to be put on the leaderboards, but all set now.

GWX

Yay! Just unlocked Runman. He's awesome, and he says "Oh Snap!" just like in the game where he came from... The only thing it's lacking is some Diddie Wa Diddie action ;)

Twig

Banned
So I just 100%'d (well, 106%'d, whatever that means) the game. What the hell is that ? world before Chapter 1? HUH?! (Is it "The Internets" and it's just not available on PC, yet?)

I really wish he wouldn't do this dumb exclusivity crap. I love messing around with the various characters.

V is disappointing, though. ):

UrbanRats

Twig said:
So I just 100%'d (well, 106%'d, whatever that means) the game. What the hell is that ? world before Chapter 1? HUH?! (Is it "The Internets" and it's just not available on PC, yet?)

I really wish he wouldn't do this dumb exclusivity crap. I love messing around with the various characters.

Yes.

JEKKI

whooo! finished all the light stages in Cotton Alley!!

despite what I said earlier, the final stage in that world is NOT easy to A+ >_<

first time completed I was 5 seconds over, when I finally got it I had less than a second to spare o_O

Dark version is next!!!

Kreed

theMrCravens said:
Finally 100% this.

Dark Cotton Valley really tested my patience.

Worst 3 levels:

- The Kid level 2
- Dark World Cotton Valley level 19 and level 15

No Skyscraper Warp Zone? I just finished this after a week's worth of attempts and felt like it was the hardest stage yet (mainly because of the length and the life limit), but now I'm a guessing that stage wasn't that difficult in comparison since I'm not seeing many complaints about this level in the topic vs the Kid warp zone. The Kid stage doesn't have "lives" right?

Kreed said:
No Skyscraper Warp Zone? I just finished this after a week's worth of attempts and felt like it was the hardest stage yet (mainly because of the length and the life limit), but now I'm a guessing that stage wasn't that difficult in comparison since I'm not seeing many complaints about this level in the topic vs the Kid warp zone. The Kid stage doesn't have "lives" right?

yeah skyscraper was a pain for awhile, mainly the jumps needed to avoid the 2 falling gears at the end of 1st stage. The 2nd stage was easy, it would have been more of a challenge if that shortcut to get down to the bandage wasnt there. The 3rd stage was pretty easy too besides that last jump down and around the spikes.

Volcynika

Twig said:

His Twitter did say earlier that if the XBLA version didn't have some exclusive stuff (like characters) there would've been no XBLA version.

Twig said:

Really?

@SuperMeatBoy said:
didnt realize how much of an ass kicker Viridian was till i saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjKg-4gnUE Ch4 no deaths SPOILERS

Twig

Banned
Right he's good for certain levels, but for most he's just too slow to be any good. Not fun to play.

i mean

DERP DERP HE SURE IS GOOD I CHANGED MY MIND UUU: edit: i realize this can be construed as me being "mad" or some shit, so i just thought i'd clarify - i don't find him particularly ENJOYABLE to play, regardless of how good he may or may not be, which is what makes him "disappointing"

It's funny watching him completely destroy those lazer eye levels, though. :3

Leunam

Bought the game over the weekend purely on word of mouth. I made it to chapter 3 with a DS3 but haven't really played beyond the second level. I'm probably going to go back to stage 1 and 2 and 100% them before I continue. Really, really enjoying it so far.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Well, Joe Danger is not exclusive to PS3; it's merely due to their financial situation. They spent basically all of their allotted money until they ran out and then released it. The only thing they've mentioned in terms of porting to other systems is that they aren't interested in the 360.

Well they did run out of money.

after going bandage hunting for a few days, i decided to beat cotton alley. The light world wasn't too difficult, but that last level was insane, definitely tests your mettle. After all that frustration, at 2 in the morning, i decided to do the dark world for some reason. My god. My reflexes at 2 in the morning definitely do to accomodate for this type of game :lol

I should also say twig, aside from the double jump characters and maybe runman, i don't really enjoy or understand the other characters. It definitely feels like they've completed the game then decided to design the extra characters. Doesn't make the game less enjoyable though. I might attempt to beat the game with each unlockable character haha

Twig

Banned
Naija is the bomb-diggity.

And, yeah, the game is DESIGNED for Meat Boy. The extra characters are just that - extras. Mr. Minecraft apparently breaks the game. I haven't used him yet since he is no longer valid for leaderboards or cheesemints. ):

Volcynika

Well I progressed some. 100%'d the first three worlds and got 90 bandages, so I unlocked Jump Man and Viridian. Woo! Though some of these levels I did try to get the bandages on (Skyscraper warp zone) I'm having trouble with. :S

Twig

Banned
Skyscraper warp zone bandages were the last two I got.

After a while (a long while) I perfected that first area, though, and it wasn't too bad from then on.

Volcynika

Twig said:
Skyscraper warp zone bandages were the last two I got.

After a while (a long while) I perfected that first area, though, and it wasn't too bad from then on.

I may have to come back to that one. I did 100% Hell, so now I just have The Rapture and The End to take care of. Then of course........Cotton Alley. Ffffffffffff

joesmokey

I think I'm reaching the limit of my skills :/.

World 4 (Hell) Dark World is completely kicking my ass and I don't know how much more patience I have to keep at it. 4-8 is especially ridiculous :(. Even worse is starting at 4-8 I'm not even really going for the bandages anymore, it's just so frustrating...

joesmokey said:
World 4 (Hell) Dark World is completely kicking my ass and I don't know how much more patience I have to keep at it. 4-8 is especially ridiculous :(. Even worse is starting at 4-8 I'm not even really going for the bandages anymore, it's just so frustrating...

4-8 (and its dark counterpart) is just a bullshit level, and not because it's hard exactly, but because it's not well designed by Meat Boy standards. It has lousy flow and a lot of the key jumps are either inobvious in a frustrating way or just overly fiddly in an irritating way.

I actually... not exactly ragequit (since I calmly turned off the game and went to do something else) but certainly quit in a state of raised ire after about half an hour of bashing my head against that level. I picked it up two days later and got through, and nothing else later on bothered me even a quarter as much, but I still think that level sucks.

joesmokey

Yeah I decided to just skip 4-8 dark world :(.

Kreed said:
I'm having a hard time with it as well. I have the first level down after a good deal of attempts, but now I keep getting stupid deaths in level 2 and can't seem to make much progress.

This brings me to a point which I'm sure many people have addressed. I absolutely hate the loading of Warp Zones (Minus Worlds as well). There's no reason you shouldn't have unlimited lives in the first level of the warp zone (or at least a simple retry screen), it takes too long to go back into it from the map every time. I also had to disable sound effects because the WARRRRP ZONEEEEE is so grating after awhile. Same with Minus Worlds, why can't you just have infinite lives? It's only one level, and getting back into the minus world takes even longer than Warp Zones.

Speaking of, there's a MInus World for World 5 right? I've done over 100 deaths in a stage trying to spawn the glitched princess, however I'm having no luck at all...

Edit: Wooo, decided to go back to 4-8 after all and finally A+'d it :D. I think I'm saving that bandage for last though :p

Holepunch

joesmokey said:
Yeah I decided to just skip 4-8 dark world :(.

I'm having a hard time with it as well. I have the first level down after a good deal of attempts, but now I keep getting stupid deaths in level 2 and can't seem to make much progress.

This brings me to a point which I'm sure many people have addressed. I absolutely hate the loading of Warp Zones (Minus Worlds as well). There's no reason you shouldn't have unlimited lives in the first level of the warp zone (or at least a simple retry screen), it takes too long to go back into it from the map every time. I also had to disable sound effects because the WARRRRP ZONEEEEE is so grating after awhile. Same with Minus Worlds, why can't you just have infinite lives? It's only one level, and getting back into the minus world takes even longer than Warp Zones.

Speaking of, there's a MInus World for World 5 right? I've done over 100 deaths in a stage trying to spawn the glitched princess, however I'm having no luck at all...
You act like the warpzone scene a huge backtracking pain in the ass 15 minute cutscene. It is literally a 5 second scene every 3 deaths. I can't even think of a game that punishes you less that that.

And yeah, there is a glitch level in world 5. I didn't worry about glitch levels and just got them all naturally when I went back to do my darkworld run. Don't understand why people try and beat the dark world along side the lightworld as the difficulty curve is far less accommodating that way.

MNC

Nabs said:
the latest patch seems to have everything working right.
Oh thank God, I took a break when it didn't update leaderboards because I was scared it didn't record it AT ALL (not even behind the scenes)

joesmokey

Holepunch said:
You act like the warpzone scene a huge backtracking pain in the ass 15 minute cutscene. It is literally a 5 second scene every 3 deaths. I can't even think of a game that punishes you less that that.
When you die frequently those 5 seconds add up :). It really isn't terrible though, I'm just spoiled by the instant restart of the normal levels.

GWX

joesmokey said:
I think I'm reaching the limit of my skills :/.

I spent a long time finishing 4-8x and getting its bandage. I hate that level, but at least I feel like I mastered it. Now Skyscraper (world 5 first warp zone)... That shit is way too hard for me.

mrgone

I really wish there were replays on the scoreboard for this game! I just spent more than half an hour trying to figure out what the trick is to peoples' ~5 second scores on 3-5X (after almost as much time getting through the level once). It's driving me nuts, I just don't see how its done. There are two keys! arhghgnllbllghgh

GWX

3-19x_El-Topo_B.jpg

Really? Fuck this bandage.

Twig

Banned
Well, I got iron man cheesemints on: Chapter 1, Chapter 1X, Chapter 2, Chapter 2X, Chapter 3, and Chapter 6. (I went for 6 'cause it only has five levels... and then I tried to do 6X and shat my pants and cried to my mommy.)

I... really doubt I'll be able to get more, but who knows. I never though I'd get any past Chapter 1, either.

GWX said:
Really? Fuck this bandage.

I did it with Meat Boy, you just have to find a good pattern thru the disintegrating bricks, making sure you leave some of the bottom row for the climb back up. Making your way down the first 2 levels should be the hardest part as once you get back in you can bounce back up towards the bandage pretty quick avoiding the rockets. Once you get down to the bottom theres one solid brick right near the entrance to the conveyor part that you can constantly jump next to, to avoid the bottom rocket launcher. If you can make it back up towards the top you can easily avoid the top rocket launcher by timing it right and jumping to the opposite wall.

I got the bandage by timing a jump from the opposite wall, holding run and letting Meat Boy slide up as much as he can then jump into the bandage slot. I actually had the most trouble getting up the conveyor belt part on the side for the longest, then I figured out once you jump up from the first conveyor if you slide on the wall you can skip the second conveyor and spikes.

smb.jpg

check out my path, its pretty easy to fake the first launcher out, my secret for the 2nd one is to either fall into or time a jump into the right-most empty hole in the second row of bricks, the launcher can't hit you there and you can fall thru easy, then immediately get to the left and try to fall to the left of that solid brick on the bottom level so you have a shield against the bottom launcher.

GWX

TheVisualizer, thanks for the tips. Once I got the bandage, got into the propeller but died in one of the saws :lol
After a bunch of tries I managed to get it. That was the most annoying bandage to get so far, since the first missile launcher has a kinda random behavior: sometimes holding right while running after spawning get me safe to the lower floor, other times the missile hit me.

Top Bottom