• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Red

UrbanRats said:
Man, the 3 lives in the first glitch level(forest) are such bullshit.
There's only one level and you can try as much as you want, so they have no purpose, other than waste your time between one try and the other, which defeat one of the best things about SMB, istant respawn.
Yeah, it's a weird choice and pretty awkward.

Wallach

UrbanRats said:
Man, the 3 lives in the first glitch level(forest) are such bullshit.
There's only one level and you can try as much as you want, so they have no purpose, other than waste your time between one try and the other, which defeat one of the best things about SMB, istant respawn.

I don't care for it either, both on the retro and glitch stages.

I can understand it in the Retro stages, because at least there they serve a purpose (it forces you to play through all three levels within a set amount of attempts), but since the Minus levels are standalone, a finite amount of lives just means you have the inconvenience of going back to the map screen, and having to select the level again and wait for it to start up again. There's really no reason for it.

Yaweee

Ben2749 said:
I can understand it in the Retro stages, because at least there they serve a purpose (it forces you to play through all three levels within a set amount of attempts), but since the Minus levels are standalone, a finite amount of lives just means you have the inconvenience of going back to the map screen, and having to select the level again and wait for it to start up again. There's really no reason for it.

Yeah, it sticks out as an unnecessary design choice. In the case of the Minus levels, it adds nothing at all except wasted time, and and in the Retro stages they add very little.

I beat the game (World 6 Light, at least) last night. I thought the last stage sucked. Throughout the rest of the game you can jump right back in attempt after attempt, but the final boss fight is filled with way too much waiting.

What is the World 6 intro a parody of? I recognized the other five chapter intros, and the ending.

Nabs said:
Hmmm. I don't have the kid anymore. Anyone else run into that problem? :lol :(
When I unlocked him the other day he didn't stay unlocked. Had to do it again. Seems like he has stayed unlocked now.

Have fun reliving the nightmare. :lol

EDIT: :lol He is gone again for me as well. Its not the saving, its every time the game updates. Officially tired of this.
EDIT2: Lost Headcrab as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Since the latest patch, all of my new times aren't actually showing up on the leaderboards :|

The Kid disappearing from save files looks to be widespread. I'm a bit annoyed by all these small glitches/issues but SMB is still the only game I've felt like playing recently. Quite addicting.

On another note: I really dislike falling down spiked corridors (or up them, VVVVVV).

So my autistic 8-year old cousin came over today. He's a big fan of platformers, as he's played Super Mario 64 to death on his fathers laptop through Project64 with a mouse/keyboard.

He walked in on me playing Super Meat Boy on my 360. I started him off at level 1-1 and handed him the controller. I then watched as he slowly began to progress through the levels, going up and over the learning curve. Before the end of his visit today, he had beat Chapters 1 and 2 Light worlds and their Bosses... all by himself. I'd never seen him have so much fun before.

He now can't wait to come back to continue playing in Chapter 3 so see what happens next. Only thing is, I'm going to buy him the PC Version of SMB on Steam for his father's laptop as a surprise. Way to go Team Meat, you just snagged yourself one more fan :D

Anyone getting crashed eveytime you check the worldwide leaderboards? I tried 5 times and everytime it crashed on me. =/

I need more people too for my leaderboard my ID is ltcoheng.

haven't seen it posted yet, I was playing the 360 version yesterday, trying to improve my times on all levels since I got the 100% and I noticed every level my time saved 0.10 seconds faster than I actually finished with. For instance, when I finished a level with 6.92 seconds, it would save to the leaderboards as 6.82.

Also managed to beat all the glitch levels I didn't have beaten and A+'d all the Gish levels except the last one, that one is a pain in the ass. Anyone know if World 7
Cotton Alley
has a glitch level? I retried on of the levels where I could see
Meat Boy
as soon as the level loaded and never saw any glitching.

Helmholtz said:
Oh man, if I actually unlocked The Kid and then lost him...
let's just say I wouldn't be happy.
Looks like it will be fixed. :D
For those of you who lost The Kid to the recent patch, he isn't lost. I backed up your save file before the patch. Next patch will restore.
about 3 hours ago via web
This applies to any character lost, don't worry they are still backed up. Next update will restore them all.
about 3 hours ago via web

vanty

TheVisualizer said:
haven't seen it posted yet, I was playing the 360 version yesterday, trying to improve my times on all levels since I got the 100% and I noticed every level my time saved 0.10 seconds faster than I actually finished with. For instance, when I finished a level with 6.92 seconds, it would save to the leaderboards as 6.82.
It's the same on PC as well with the .1 second difference. Not sure what's the cause, but considering it's the same for everyone it's no big deal.

TheVisualizer said:

Also managed to beat all the glitch levels I didn't have beaten and A+'d all the Gish levels except the last one, that one is a pain in the ass. Anyone know if World 7
Cotton Alley
has a glitch level? I retried on of the levels where I could see
Meat Boy
as soon as the level loaded and never saw any glitching.

No, only worlds 1 to 6 have glitch levels.

By not dying for a whole chapter, does that mean that you have to:

A. Do it the first time

B. Do all levels in order, without dying and then restarting

Or C. By beating every level without dying once?

duckroll

A Link to the Snitch said:
By not dying for a whole chapter, does that mean that you have to:

A. Do it the first time

B. Do all levels in order, without dying and then restarting

Or C. By beating every level without dying once?

I don't think it has to be in order, but you need to beat every single level in a chapter continuously without dying inbetween. Which means you can start on stage 10 and do a bunch, then go back to the world map and do stage 5-9, then go back to the world map and do 1-4. But you cannot die or quit inbetween.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
God, playing through 6-5 (Omega) was just nirvana for me. The way I was flying through the earlier parts of that level after a million tries was surprising even myself as I did it. What a perfectly constructed level.

I lost Josef with the last update, which really sucked since I saw a couple of portals/bandages I wanted to try to get to with his robo-spin. Meh. :/

A weird thing happened when I was playing one of the Dark World levels in the Salt Factory, though. I don't remember the name of the level, but it was the one where you had to use the "boost pad" things on the walls to fly over long gaps while trying to catch the falling keys out of mid-air. Anyway, when I started that level, this picture popped up on the screen with a sound cue with Meat Boy wearing an eyepatch and a hat or something, and it said "In the year 20XX..." at the top. What's up with that?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
yikes, this game is alot of fun xD, 30% complete ( light ) and already 400 deaths :D.

This game is THE perfect podcast game ^^

2Crisis

Corky said:
yikes, this game is alot of fun xD, 30% complete ( light ) and already 400 deaths :D.

This game is THE perfect podcast game ^^

haha so true. Problem is I end up playing too much meatboy and run out of podcasts.

Also, for anyone that has 100% on this
after getting meat ninja, how do you use the teleport? hitting the button for special does nothing for me. Is it bugged? on youtubes I see him teleporting through stuff.

MNC

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I lost Josef with the last update, which really sucked since I saw a couple of portals/bandages I wanted to try to get to with his robo-spin. Meh. :/

A weird thing happened when I was playing one of the Dark World levels in the Salt Factory, though. I don't remember the name of the level, but it was the one where you had to use the "boost pad" things on the walls to fly over long gaps while trying to catch the falling keys out of mid-air. Anyway, when I started that level, this picture popped up on the screen with a sound cue with Meat Boy wearing an eyepatch and a hat or something, and it said "In the year 20XX..." at the top. What's up with that?
....What the fuck?

Capndrake

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Get all 100 bandages and you'll unlock him.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rez said:
God, playing through (or was it 6? It was in the 5 level "The End" bit) 7-5 (Omega) was just nirvana for me. The way I was flying through the earlier parts of that level after a million tries was surprising even myself as I did it. What a perfectly constructed level.
Omega is the best constructed level in the game...especially the Dark World version. It's amazing how everything lines up so perfectly.

GWX

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Something like that to me in other stage, but it was a Mortal Kombat reference instead. They don't mean anything though, those references (like the Mega Man one you got) are just easter eggs.

Glix

I'm a little stuck in the dark world of Level 4. There are few that are really driving me batty. After I beat the kid, and
cotton alley
I thought I was ready for anything.

Also, I've been playing the flash original at work, and I'm on the additional level pack and once you get to the "hard" levels, it just gets so freakin brutal. I have claw hand.

joesmokey

Holy crap I finally unlocked The Kid :lol.

Levels 2 and 3 gave me such a hard time. Level 2 I mainly kept doing stupid deaths over and over again (dying while doing the jump across the stage, etc.). Level 3 I had to take a break because my thumb couldn't perform the quick double jump maneuver anymore :lol.

Man that was tough yet very satisfying. Time to take a break for a bit...

GWX said:
Something like that to me in other stage, but it was a Mortal Kombat reference instead. They don't mean anything though, those references (like the Mega Man one you got) are just easter eggs.

No, it's a peek at a character you unlock when you get 100%. Although I have no idea what purpose that message serves, or why it exists. It's vague, confusing, incredibly random, very rare, and continues to appear even after you've unlocked him. Very odd.

charlequin said:
6-5 is an awesomely designed level and a punishing (but fun) encapsulation of everything you've (hopefully) learned to date playing the game. Don't hate. :p
It was good except the drop after the key. I agree with you except that drop. It wasn't fun it was luck.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
randomlyrossy said:
Thought some of you might appreciate this bandage guide that some of the guys I work with wrote. Complete with helpful images showing you exactly where they are.

Anywhere here's the link.

XBLA Fans: The Complete Super Meat Boy Bandage Guide

thanks dude! I'm going to beat the dark worlds first then go back for a bandage run, I'm to old to have the patience to actually search each level for them and finishing with 19 is infuriating.

deleted

EviLore said:
Since the latest patch, all of my new times aren't actually showing up on the leaderboards :|

Same problem for me.

And when starting the game, it mutes everything automatically. I have to set everything back to normal manually. It was fine for me before the patch :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Volcynika said:
I got to The Kid's level 2 and the game crashed.

I raged but couldn't ragequit since the game did it for me!

:(
well.... it saved you from having to see what level 3 looks like. bRUTAL

Finally 100% this.

Dark Cotton Valley really tested my patience.

Worst 3 levels:

- The Kid level 2
- Dark World Cotton Valley level 19 and level 15

Top Bottom