• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

iam220

corkscrewblow said:
Any way to get this working properly with a dualshock 3? The pad works in game but I can't change the controls and R3 is jump/I can only move with the analog. It's a mess trying to play like this.

I'm using a ds2 so the button config is not as messed up for me, your best bet is to emulate the 360 controller.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/blog/xbox-360-controller-emulator?page=1

I tried the emulator available here: (the one that requires placing xinput dll files into the executable directory)

http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4

but it didn't work :(

syllogism

SMB uses only left/right for movement, so the difference between pad and keyboard is pretty insignificant. I imagine most of you have just played a lot more with pads and it's thus easier. On some levels keyboard might even be better because using two fingers and bigger buttons for left/right movement can be more precise. That is not to say you should use keyboard, but I think you overstate the difference.

e: that is NOT to say

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
syllogism said:
SMB uses only left/right for movement, so the difference between pad and keyboard is pretty insignificant. I imagine most of you have just played a lot more with pads and it's thus easier. On some levels keyboard might even be better because using two fingers and bigger buttons for left/right movement can be more precise. That is to say you should use keyboard, but I think you overstate the difference.
Air control and most of all, jumping is 3x less of a pain in the ass using a controller. Controls feel much tighter, and you always jump when and where you want to using controller where some places don't work out as well using the keyboard.

syllogism

enzo_gt said:
Air control and most of all, jumping is 3x less of a pain in the ass using a controller. Controls feel much tighter, and you always jump when and where you want to using controller where some places don't work out as well using the keyboard.
Space is a terrible button for jump, so the first thing I did was remap it to somewhere more convenient (Z)

iam220

syllogism said:
SMB uses only left/right for movement, so the difference between pad and keyboard is pretty insignificant. I imagine most of you have just played a lot more with pads and it's thus easier. On some levels keyboard might even be better because using two fingers and bigger buttons for left/right movement can be more precise. That is to say you should use keyboard, but I think you overstate the difference.

My negative impression playing this game with keyboard came from not being able to use the w,a,s,d keys and being force to use my right hand on the arrow keys. I haven't used my right hand to control movement since 1997. So it was awkward for me, I know I can emulate a joystick and remap the keys how ever I please but I'd rather just plug in my controller.

syllogism said:
Space is a terrible button for jump, so the first thing I did was remap it to somewhere more convenient (Z)

remapped it within the game? how?

Beezy

EviLore said:
Just died...700 times...trying to complete 7-20. Didn't. I'm fine until the parts with the sawblades that barely stick out of the floor and you have to do a perfect timing jump at full speed to get over them. I'm really inconsistent with those, and then the whore of a game throws in MOVING ones too. Agghhhh.
noob

The small sawblades are easily the hardest parts of that stage.

Davidion

iam220 said:
My negative impression playing this game with keyboard came from not being able to use the w,a,s,d keys and being force to use my right hand on the arrow keys. I haven't used my right hand to control movement since 1997. So it was awkward for me, I know I can emulate a joystick and remap the keys how ever I please but I'd rather just plug in my controller.

There are pretty clear cut .ini files in the game directory. I can't check where right now since I'm not home.

My jump and turbo is X and Z. Using the spacebar is a joke.

syllogism

iam220 said:

Not within the game, the game directory has a cfg file that you can edit to change the binds. I've played a lot of difficult 2d platformers using arrow keys (N+, I Wanna Be The Guy and emulator games) so I'm used to it.

Davidion

iam220 said:
doh thanks guys, newbie mistake not checking the ini's. I'm guessing they also allow for joystick mappings?

There are two cfg/inis, one is for pads and the other for KB. I *assume* you can use the pad one to map sticks, though you might just want to use something like xpadder.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
syllogism said:
Yup, also that sounds like a relatively sound solution. I still feel like instant push of the A button on 360 is better though.

Zozobra

I'm not really a platforming guy at all, but this is probably the best $3.75 I've spent in a long while :D

Although I don't think I'd be saying that if I didn't have a gamepad.

Shai-Tan

Banned
plagiarize said:
every pc gamer should have a 360 pad.

or PS3 controller emulating 360. motionjoy works well and they finally got signed drivers so no need to put windows in test mode or disable driver signing on every boot in 64 bit windows

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the special button using the 360 pad? I'm doing Jill's Warp Zone, and can't progress because X and the right trigger aren't doing her special D:

Shai-Tan said:
or PS3 controller emulating 360. motionjoy works well and they finally got signed drivers so no need to put windows in test mode or disable driver signing on every boot in 64 bit windows
if you like. i do personally enjoy getting the correct button prompts, but obviously if you're familiar enough with a 360 pad anyway, i doubt you'd be confused and press cross instead of X.

An-Det

Bought SMB yesterday. At least count I had played for 83 minutes played and just under 400 deaths, averaging to about 15 seconds per life minus time spent in menus. Great game, really enjoying it, but damn. :lol

ArjanN

UrbanRats said:
A KB&M defence force can't exist, regarding SMB.
I refuse to believe it.

*Raises hand*

Well, in this case not the mouse obviously, but keyboard works just as well as a controller for 2D platformers.

The real advantage for controllers is with games like DMC4.

jdmonmou

really glad i spent $3.75 on this during the steam special yesterday. i was hesitant to spend $15 on this since i wasn't sure if i would like the game, but at $3.75 i couldn't walk away from that deal. really like the game so far (even though my thumb is sore from pressing the a button on my gamepad so much) :D

Instro

This games difficulty reminds me of I Wanna Be The Guy, especially the Dark World levels. Shits totally awesome.

Also, WAAAAAAARP ZONE makes me laugh ever time :lol

MoFuzz

Lovin' this game so far. Shit is tough, but rewarding!

Any word on Steam Cloud support from the devs? It seems ideal in a game like this where you can just pick up and play a few levels at any time.

It'd make hopping back and forth between netbooks, notebooks and desktops a breeze since it has fairly low system requirements.

Wallach

Beezy said:
noob

The small sawblades are easily the hardest parts of that stage.

How much is there after that? I had a chance to play for a little bit and A+'d all of Cotton World except that one, I only had time to try it for a few minutes and only saw the stage up to the moving set of tiny blades.

I still can't beat Skyscraper. It will probably wind up being the last thing I actually beat in this fucking game.

Twig

Banned
syllogism said:
SMB uses only left/right for movement, so the difference between pad and keyboard is pretty insignificant. I imagine most of you have just played a lot more with pads and it's thus easier. On some levels keyboard might even be better because using two fingers and bigger buttons for left/right movement can be more precise. That is not to say you should use keyboard, but I think you overstate the difference.

e: that is NOT to say
I've played more 2D platformers on keyboard than I have with a gamepad (and in fact prefer keyboard, in general).

Something about Super Meat Boy just feels broken with a keyboard.

Wallach

So, I'm stuck on 7-19X and after playing this for like 30 minutes I checked out a YouTube video for this and in their video the timing on the fucking blocks is way slower. I don't think it's even possible to touch Meat Boy with the timings as they are in my game; I know D3DOverrider was fucking up my timings before but I have that turned off. Is there anything else known to fuck with the timings?

Edit - OK, turning off AA in CCC made it even worse, and now the closing block line catches up to the open block line before that even reaches the top row... fucking christ.

Edit #2 - Fixed it by running in windowed mode. Beat it on the first god damned try when it was actually working. Fuck this engine.

So, I just started playing and I don't think I understand floor fans. 2-14 seems impossible to consistently get right. I watched a video and still don't understand what I'm doing different that allows them to control their height and momentum.

EmCeeGramr said:
So, I just started playing and I don't think I understand floor fans. 2-14 seems impossible to consistently get right. I watched a video and still don't understand what I'm doing different that allows them to control their height and momentum.

u go higher the closer you jump into the "jetstream". To maximize ur height make sure its a running jump.

Instro

EmCeeGramr said:

You basically go way higher if you start closer to the actual fan, it take a bit of work to get used to.

Wallach

100% Cotton Alley w/ A+. Dark side level design fucking blows compared to light side, in my opinion. At least the last stage wasn't that bad.

In 24 hours, this went from a frustrating, horrible torture-fest in my mind to one of my personal GOTYs. Once it all clicked for me, that was it. Amazing game. So glad I got it for dirt cheap during yesterday's sale.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm trying to 100% everything as I go, but the game is seriously kicking my ass. I'm only on the world 2 dark world, and I'm seriously getting close controller smashing. The game is fun if I'm just trying to beat each level, but getting under the time limit or collecting bandages can be frustrating as hell. It wouldn't be so bad if the game randomly didn't let me jump or didn't make me stick to walls when I jump simply because I'm right next to them.

Rubenov

So I missed the Steam sale yesterday... any chance it will come up again soon or should I just ibte the bullet for full price?

Wallach

Rubenov said:
So I missed the Steam sale yesterday... any chance it will come up again soon or should I just ibte the bullet for full price?

Well, there's a chance it will come around again on the last day of the sale (Jan. 2nd). It will remain at $7.50 (half off) until then so you could just wait until then and see if it does, and if not grab it before it goes back up to full price.

Rubenov said:

It will either come back on the last day (Jan 2) or not at all, and either way it's still half-off ($7.50) for the rest of the sale, so there's no harm in waiting to see if it comes back, and if not buying it at the $7.50 price.

ChryZ

Played the first batch of levels. Awesome game, so much fun. Looks great even up to 1920x1200. Tried only my trusty DS2 via USB adapter so far and meat boy controlled beautifully. Tonight I will try the Saturn USB pad, I'm expecting great things.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Rubenov said:

I would agree that waiting till the last day of the sale is a good idea, as one year prior they put up the best sellers again, and this one very likely sold very well at that price, but you shouldn't worry about feeling ripped off at 7.50. Sure, you'll feel like you missed out, but in the scheme of things, it's only 3.75, and more importantly, the game is worth full price.

I was blown away with how smooth and polished the overall experience was. Great platformer, even if it is a pain in the butt.

Kreed

Beezy said:
Ridiculous. It'll take hours, but getting him is perfectly doable in a day. Don't attempt it as soon as you find that warp zone though. Play through most of the game first.

I beat the warp zone as soon as I got to it (Skyscraper was much more difficult IMO due to the live limit) and I am glad that I did. Playing through the rest of the levels with The Kid has been fun and made that warp zone worth all the trouble. Earning Kid after finishing most of the game just makes it getting him less exciting IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wallach said:
New update added the World of Goo goo ball as a character. Type "ballgoo" at character select to unlock.
Why can't they add these characters permanently to the character select screen? Goo ball and tofu boy and stuff?

You think about this game.. you say to yourself, "this will be a fun game to play for a few minutes.."

Then a couple hours pass and your thumb feels like it's been up a tight butt hole.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ahem.

Rn6X2.png

Top Bottom