• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Snuggler said:
I tried it, and this is partially to blame on the game running slow on my laptop, but it's not great. They pretty much start the game with an image of a 360 controller, it seem damn near impossible to pull of the precision wall jumps and movement with the arrow keys and spacebar. Plus, as far as I can tell, they don't let you configure the controls. VVVVVV was acceptable on a keyboard, but I don't think SMBoy will be.

I might try the Motion Joy thing, but I doubt I'm wizard enough to make it work.
The wall jumps are easier for me with the keyboard, it just starts hurting my hands faster.

Poyunch

I took a break from the game but I was able to reach Rapture and A rank all the stages so far with the keyboard controls. This is all Light World though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just got this from steam, and it just crashes over and over, won't even start. I've updated my card drivers and let it update itself, don't know what to do really...

fubarduck

Woohoo! New member of the Golden God achievement here (XBLA). Full clear, A+ on all levels including glitch worlds. Now to finish up Teh Internets and patiently await more DLC :))

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just hope that someday I can play this proper and be man enough to unlock Captain Viridian.

if only there were cheat codes...

Xdrive05

Just bought this and blasted my way to chapter 3. Luckily I have a wired 360 controller ... playing with thumbstick. Holy hell at the chapter 2 boss! Probably took me 40 tries. Amazing game and a steal at three bucks.

JRPereira

Just under 130 deaths in, and have gotten A+ on every level I've visited so far. Great stuff. My right thumb's down for the count though, so I'll have to pick it up again tomorrow.

Helmholtz

GaimeGuy said:
I am now trying to unlock the kid.

Holy fucking shit.
Don't expect to get him in a day unless you're a god. It took me many hours spread over a week or two to finally get good enough at part one. I finally finished it today. If you can beat part one, you should be okay with parts two and three, but part two is a bit of a bitch too.

BTW people talking about keyboard controls: I agree, this game really needs a controller. I've tried keyboard, ps3, and 360, and 360 controller is by far my favorite (I use the analog).

Volcynika

First time I tried to get The Kid, performance issues made the second level impossible. (I was streaming it, so that was expected.)

Second time, took me about an hour max to beat all three levels, I think. Not that bad.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Beat the first level of The Guy. The second stage, as many of you know, has four elevators of death( with the spike layouts of the 1st and 4th being the same (but the elevators heading in opposite directions. Likewise with #2 and #3), with a nasty long jump in the middle.

I can get through elevator 1 pretty consistently, die probably 2/3rds of the time on the 2nd elevator, and have never been able to come close to making the longjump. Any tips on the longjump? I'm not able to establish a timing at all on this jump

Think I'm going to call it a night, but I might just leave the game open in steam and say to hell wtih my playtime, as I don't want to have to deal with the 1st level again (even though I know I'd probably be able to beat it relatively quickly now that I've done it once). Hopefully the game doesn't crash on me :lol

Helmholtz

GaimeGuy said:
Beat the first level of The Guy. The second stage, as many of you know, has four elevators of death( with the spike layouts of the 1st and 4th being the same (but the elevators heading in opposite directions. Likewise with #2 and #3), with a nasty long jump in the middle.

I can get through elevator 1 pretty consistently, die probably 2/3rds of the time on the 2nd elevator, and have never been able to come close to making the longjump. Any tips on the longjump? I'm not able to establish a timing at all on this jump

Think I'm going to call it a night, but I might just leave the game open in steam and say to hell wtih my playtime, as I don't want to have to deal with the 1st level again (even though I know I'd probably be able to beat it relatively quickly now that I've done it once). Hopefully the game doesn't crash on me :lol
The long jump didn't give me any trouble, surprisingly. Make sure you are holding run when you do it, you're basically tapping jump once, and when you're dipping down in the middle of that spike up top, tap jump again. Consult this video to give you a better idea. For me it was elevators 2 and 3 that gave me the most trouble.

SmokyDave

Goddamn this game is good. I pre-ordered it on Steam aaaages ago but only got round to playing it this weekend. I can't believe I waited so long. Only made it to the 4th world so far but I'm having a blast. Yesterday I spent nearly an hour making a 5:00 into a 4:99. It was fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Megadrive said:
This game also is one of those games that make you go "OKAY!!!!! I WILL GET THIS!!" *dies on first hazard*

yeah, and you stop for a moment and think "this time, I will fucking nail it" and seconds later you die again in the exact same spot

these games can be unhealthy

aeolist

Banned
So I've gotten like 4 or 5 bandages and according to the achievement list the character unlocks require 50-100

Are there ways to get more at once or are there just a billion levels in the game?

aeolist said:
So I've gotten like 4 or 5 bandages and according to the achievement list the character unlocks require 50-100

Are there ways to get more at once or are there just a billion levels in the game?

There's 300ish levels. 20 bandages per world.

Hylian7

I'm loving this game so far. I bought it from the Steam and am playing it with a PS3 controller. If you wish to do the same, make sure you use "Xbox 360 Controller Emulator" on DS3Tool if you have it installed.

fubarduck

DanteFox said:
quick question: is this game for sale on wiiware?

No, they are planning to release it on Wiiware, but are having trouble getting the game under the file size limit. If you're patient, it's supposed to be on the way though.

Zomba13

Gifted this to a friend last night as it was on his wish list. I was thinking about whether or not to double dip then remembered he bought me killing floor a while back so I gifted him this as thanks.

Empty

picked this up this morning on xbla because of the deal. been basically playing non-stop and am at the hell world right now. just in awe of how well this game controls, how great the level design is, how fun the fast pace in movement, jumping right back in after death and moving you from new level to new level makes it, and how clever the replay mode is. super well designed, pure platforming goodness and i'm loving it.

ChryZ said:
Bloody good value. Bought. Went on a mini shopping spree and also got VVVVVV and World of Goo.

Trifecta. You are set for a while, friend.

Crazy sale actually reminded me to get back to SMB after being hung up on one of the Rapture levels. Finally up to the World 6 boss, but after spending at least a fucking hour on 6-5 I was done for the night.

After playing for an hour or two yesterday and some deliberation I've come to the conclusion that this game is fantastic. The core mechanics are so solid, but the presentation really puts it over the top.

Question: Are all levels beatable with Super Meat Boy? Some seem a bit easier with some other characters, but I might just be tricking myself.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
prodystopian said:
After playing for an hour or two yesterday and some deliberation I've come to the conclusion that this game is fantastic. The core mechanics are so solid, but the presentation really puts it over the top.

Question: Are all levels beatable with Super Meat Boy? Some seem a bit easier with some other characters, but I might just be tricking myself.
Yes, although there are bandages and a few warp zones iirc which are unreachable using super meat boy (basically all of these unreachable bandages can be obtained with one of the characters that has a double jump, from what I've encountered. I'm only on World 5 light world and 2/3rds of the way through world 3 dark world, though)

Beezy

Helmholtz said:
Don't expect to get him in a day unless you're a god. It took me many hours spread over a week or two to finally get good enough at part one. I finally finished it today. If you can beat part one, you should be okay with parts two and three, but part two is a bit of a bitch too.

BTW people talking about keyboard controls: I agree, this game really needs a controller. I've tried keyboard, ps3, and 360, and 360 controller is by far my favorite (I use the analog).
Ridiculous. It'll take hours, but getting him is perfectly doable in a day. Don't attempt it as soon as you find that warp zone though. Play through most of the game first.

are PC gamers still trying to play games designed for pads with their keyboards?

suck it up PC warriors. pads are better for SOME games. i stress SOME (see i even capitalised it).

syllogism

I'm playing with the keyboard despite owning a pad and I'm easily A+:ing every level, getting into top 100 without much effort and about to beat the first Kid level

SmokyDave

syllogism said:
I'm playing with the keyboard despite owning a pad and I'm easily A+:ing every level, getting into top 100 without much effort and about to beat the first Kid level
Just think how much better you'd be doing if you played it properly!

Please don't kill me M&KB GAF, I'm just a misguided fool!

Davidion

SmokyDave said:

I haven't played this game much but I went through world 1 regular and dark and world regular with a keyboard with little issues.

Might plug in my SNES pad to see if it makes a difference, though for now I really can't be arsed.

UrbanRats

SmokyDave said:

A KB&M defence force can't exist, regarding SMB.
I refuse to believe it.

I have the 360 version already and was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it off Steam. $3.75 isn't much at all, but are there any features in the PC version that isn't in the 360 one?

Big Papa Husker said:
I have the 360 version already and was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it off Steam. $3.75 isn't much at all, but are there any features in the PC version that isn't in the 360 one?

+ a bunch of alternate characters, + level editor (eventually), - TEH INTERNETS.

Awesome! I was planning on getting this on Steam eventually. Hell of a deal so early in it's release. Glad I didn't get it for the 360.

iam220

This game is quite fun and one of the few games that had me screaming at the screen as I tried to jump over obstacles.

plagiarize said:
are PC gamers still trying to play games designed for pads with their keyboards?

suck it up PC warriors. pads are better for SOME games. i stress SOME (see i even capitalised it).

oh god this game sucks so much with a keyboard. It's so much better with the pad, even though the d-pad on the ps3 tore my thumb after just 20 minutes of playing :lol

Speaking of which, is there a way to do button config in this game? I'd like to remap some of the buttons on my ps3 controller.

UrbanRats said:
A KB&M defence force can't exist, regarding SMB.
I refuse to believe it.
they always exist. if they can't play the game better on KB&M they will often criticise THE GAME.

remember, there are people that STILL play racing games on PC using KB&M.

KB&M is a symbol for PC gaming, and a good one, but some people also have an irrational dislike of pads as an alternative, but then they try and play platformers and racing games or beat em ups with mouse and keys and bitch about it.

every pc gamer should have a 360 pad. if the game controls well with KB&M *or* pad there really shouldn't be room for complaint.

Mileena

Banned
Any way to get this working properly with a dualshock 3? The pad works in game but I can't change the controls and R3 is jump/I can only move with the analog. It's a mess trying to play like this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just died...700 times...trying to complete 7-20. Didn't. I'm fine until the parts with the sawblades that barely stick out of the floor and you have to do a perfect timing jump at full speed to get over them. I'm really inconsistent with those, and then the whore of a game throws in MOVING ones too. Agghhhh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
plagiarize said:
they always exist. if they can't play the game better on KB&M they will often criticise THE GAME.

remember, there are people that STILL play racing games on PC using KB&M.

KB&M is a symbol for PC gaming, and a good one, but some people also have an irrational dislike of pads as an alternative, but then they try and play platformers and racing games or beat em ups with mouse and keys and bitch about it.

every pc gamer should have a 360 pad. if the game controls well with KB&M *or* pad there really shouldn't be room for complaint.
360 controller is objectively better for Super Meat Boy on so many levels but I don't think every PC gamer needs a 360 controller. It's an advantage, but only in rare cases like this do I like using my 360 controller over KB/M.

Wallach

EviLore said:
Just died...700 times...trying to complete 7-20. Didn't. I'm fine until the parts with the sawblades that barely stick out of the floor and you have to do a perfect timing jump at full speed to get over them. I'm really inconsistent with those, and then the whore of a game throws in MOVING ones too. Agghhhh.

I hate running into a level that seems to cockblock you. Last time I played that was Skyscraper for me. Somehow I fuck up stage 2 every time. It shouldn't even be that hard, but it owns my ass for free.

Top Bottom