• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tryckser said:
Just finished it, the last 3 levels were so unforgiving. Labeling this as an "easy" game is just bullshit talk.
edit: finished with 1287 deaths oO

I am playing world 4 right now and I am at 3000 deaths. But yeah, mostly due to getting good times, and not just getting through the levels.

And thanks to the ones who already added me :)

syllogism

Mr Killemgood said:
For anyone that has SMB on Steam:

Are the leaderboards like XBLA? If so, how many people are on them?
Yes, though there are probably more cheaters. Currently it looks like there are 111k players with leaderboard entries, though most probably haven't played much.

smurfx

get some go again
hey i bought super meat boy and installed it but when i try to run it i get this message.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

i have vista 32bit. is this a driver problem? anybody else have this problem before?

So I apparently got a 250 GB Holiday bundle Xbox 360 S last night. Totally unexpected. Also got a combo card with three months of Live and 800 points. Since this game is on sale and looks interesting, I figured I'd ask my question in this thread.

Is Super Meat Boy any good?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ConradCervantes said:
So I apparently got a 250 GB Holiday bundle Xbox 360 S last night. Totally unexpected. Also got a combo card with three months of Live and 800 points. Since this game is on sale and looks interesting, I figured I'd ask my question in this thread.

Considering most of GAF won't STFU about how good it is... yeah it's pretty good. It's got that weird Geometry Wars kind of "one more go" addictiveness, cranked up to 11, and on top of that it's a pretty good platformer, with tons of indie fan service, even if it doesn't take any bold risks or anything.

Oh and it's incredibly difficult. Since you have an Xbox 360, I suggest you try the demo out and see for yourself.

I really hope that Super Meat Boy makes it to the Wii as a retail game. Super Meat Boy is one of the best games this year, and certainly the best 2D platformer in a long time (it even tops Donkey Kong Country Returns, which I also love). I want as many people as possible to play this and see how great it is, and to give Team Meat as much exposure and success as possible.

At first I was upset that they ruled out a sequel, but between Teh Internets and the level-editor in the PC/Mac versions, I think they're right; there's nothing they could really add with a sequel. Not without completely changing the core gameplay, which would just spoil it; SMB is so good because of it's simplicity.

ConradCervantes said:

The simplest way of putting it is that it's the best 800 points you can spend right now.

syllogism

I rage quit 6-5x. It's amazing how good I can be at 90% of the level and how bad at 10%. Of course it doesn't help I was pretty tired and was, for most of the time, trying to use three different shortcuts. Only Skyscraper, 6-5x and 6x boss fight left until 100%

With the keyboard!

UrbanRats

syllogism said:
I rage quit 6-5x. It's amazing how good I can bet at 90% of the level and how bad at 10%. Of course it doesn't help I was pretty tired and was, for most of the time, trying to use three different shortcuts. Only Skyscraper, 6-5x and 6x boss fight left until 100%

With the keyboard!
6-5 is also particularly long, for a SMB stage.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
So I just got 100 bandages for the second time, and good god, Steve is ridiculous. He's completely broken, free-win-on-almost-every-level good. Shame I already beat all the levels I can use him on, but he can certainly get leaderboard scores that are unbeatable by any other character on certain levels.

Game is so much better with a gamepad; it's like day and night.

Beat The Forest in light world, now to finish it in Dark World. I've died more getting bandages than getting A+ in most levels so far. Especially 1-10x, fuck those walls.

Dr.Hadji

Man there to way too many control niggles to call these controls anywhere near perfect. Oh and levels go from pretty good to 11 when bullet bills, dog bullet bills, and laser eyes are introduced.

and back down to pretty good when they are gone

smurfx

get some go again
would be nice if i could play this game. tried it on my cousins pc and it didn't work. now i tried it on my laptop and it didn't work as well. at this point i have pretty much given up. it was only 7.50 but i would of preferred spending that money on a game that worked.

smurfx said:
would be nice if i could play this game. tried it on my cousins pc and it didn't work. now i tried it on my laptop and it didn't work as well. at this point i have pretty much given up. it was only 7.50 but i would of preferred spending that money on a game that worked.

Yeah I've tried installing the game on two PCs and a laptop. Still won't work.

Wallach

Grrr... run into yet another engine bug on 6-3x. Not going to bother trying to figure out what the fuck the problem is tonight. Who knows what it is this time.

epmode

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah I've tried installing the game on two PCs and a laptop. Still won't work.
I didn't have this problem myself but maybe this will help?
Allright I got mine to start working, here's what I did.

I went to the super meat boy folder in steam and went into the properties tab.

In here you can manually run the directX setup.exe and two files at the bottom that start with V...something.

Run these three files and then start it back up again in steam. It works for me now and it is amazing!
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/supermeatboy/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-57549603&pid=604976

I hear this worked for a bunch of people.

Wallach said:
To my knowledge, it can't be earned with Meat Boy.
I decided this must be true a couple hundred deaths ago. I tried with floaty rainbow dude for a bit and then gave up. Are there unlockable characters that can
double jump
?

Wallach

blame space said:
I decided this must be true a couple hundred deaths ago. I tried with floaty rainbow dude for a bit and then gave up. Ate there unlockable characters that can
double jump
?

Yeah. I know there's more than one character that can grab that one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wallach said:
Yeah. I know there's more than one character that can grab that one.
Kind of weird that there's like 3 to 4 characters, which each have their special ability as a double jump.

Helmholtz

enzo_gt said:
Kind of weird that there's like 3 to 4 characters, which each have their special ability as a double jump.
The jumps feel different though I think. For example I believe Ogmo's is more horizontally oriented where The Kid's is more vertical. Could be imagining things though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
celebi23 said:
Ok, I'm completely stuck in this part. How the fuck am I supposed to get over these spikes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQCKWB8GMA&t3m45s

Every time I try doing that rotating jump move, I hit the spikes :lol
Running start, jump, and as soon, or even before you reach the top of your jump, don't hesitate to initiate your second jump, because it will give you the most length. Gotta keep cutting it close that way. TBH, I found the level before that much more frustrating.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I unlocked the kid, but I can't beat the first level of Rapture's first warp zone :lol

FML

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have the 3rd level from the kid open since 24 hours. I cant beat it and dont want to close the game to play the 1st and 2nd again....

Toma said:
I have the 3rd level from the kid open since 24 hours. I cant beat it and dont want to close the game to play the 1st and 2nd again....
The third level should be the easiest one IMO. Just try to memorize how you should do your jumps for clearing each of the moving spike traps so that you can consistently get to the uppermost level without dying. The third spike trap was the trickiest one for me, but eventually I got it, just take your time and don't rush it.

Unlocked the The Kid zone today. Played it for about 45 minutes and it's great how you become progressively better and start to feel like the greatest gamer ever.
But then I still couldn't even beat the first stage and eventually I rage quit.

Toma

slaughterking said:
Unlocked the The Kid zone today. Played it for about 45 minutes and it's great how you become progressively better and start to feel like the greatest gamer ever.
But then I still couldn't even beat the first stage and eventually I rage quit.
Yeah took me about 1:20h to manage the first one and about 50 minutes to manage the second one. I still havent beaten the 3rd though. Its driving me NUTS.
And thanks for the advice elementman :)

Been playing this game more and I am now very addicted. Manage to be on the top 15 on one level (2-8x), with bit trip runner :D.
I notice how the game is getting more and more difficult by the level. Great game that keeps getting better.

Out of curiousity, can you use your replays and upload it online? Not sure where steam games are at.

Haunted

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Decided to demo the game on the 360.
Not feeling it. Seems like the kind of game that would just make me angry after awhile. I get enough of that in 2D shooters.
I recognize its quality but eh. Well Team Meat got some of my money anyway thanks to the insane Steam sale.
Yeah, it appeals to a pretty specific subset of people who enjoy platformers.

It's a bit barebones for my personal liking, but I appreciate the tight controls. The cerberus/missiles they introduce in Hell were the first time I really didn't want to continue playing the game. Hated them, also hated the rockets of N+, which are the same mechanic.

It's a good frustration platformer condensing it all down to the basics, but with all the great platformers released this year, it's kind of an also ran for me.

edit: I very greatly enjoy the homages in the world intros, though! Street Fighter one cracks me up every time.

WTF at the 'A' time for the last level in Cotton Alley. Do you have do the entire level without stopping to get to the top in 45 seconds? That's really fucking unreasonable.

syllogism

nincompoop said:
WTF at the 'A' time for the last level in Cotton Alley. Do you have do the entire level without stopping to get to the top in 45 seconds? That's really fucking unreasonable.
A flawless run takes about 38-39 seconds, so you can stop a few times. Dark world version is actually easier as it's just the same thing, but with the difficult parts first and a more generous time limit.

Also, Skyscraper doesn't seem too bad after all. I can do the first level on my first life 90% of the time and usually get at least to the candy on the second level on the first life as well.

_Bro

Banned
nincompoop said:
Cry more.

Volcynika

nincompoop said:

Uh, I did it just fine.

syllogism

Skyscraper done and got Golden God, phew

#92 overall on leaderboards and there are probably 20-40 cheaters ahead of me

e: I suppose a lot of them are just mr. minecraft users

Top Bottom