• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That was me. Anyway, I'm going crazy trying to beat the first glitch world. For whatever reason I can't seem to figure out how to jump from one side of the floating pillars and land on the other side. I feel like this should be one of the later glitch worlds.

I never hurt my thumb on the d-pad like some have said, but I find that the stick on the 360 controller is much more responsive and accurate. Somehow he jumps with the quickness I want from him far more if I'm using the stick. The ergonomics for the button side totally blows for a game focused on A and X; I really feel like B and Y would be soooo much more comfortable. As it is, I have to keep all my fingers curled down under the trigger or I end up putting a lot of pressure on the index side of my middle finger and it gets sore.

UrbanRats

Dice said:
That was me. Anyway, I'm going crazy trying to beat the first glitch world. For whatever reason I can't seem to figure out how to jump from one side of the floating pillars and land on the other side. I feel like this should be one of the later glitch worlds.
Just beat it, a few minutes ago.
It's not easy, to be a Forest level, yeah.. but at least it gives you an achievment.
To get over that jump you're talking about, i used the background art as a reference, so i could nail the jump everytime i failed ahead in the level.

Here's how i did it, specifically (sorry for the crappy photoshop quality):
smb.jpg

SmokyDave

enzo_gt said:
What's the special button using the 360 pad? I'm doing Jill's Warp Zone, and can't progress because X and the right trigger aren't doing her special D:
I'm fairly sure that you do Jill's special by tapping the jump button to 'air brake' as you fall through the air. There isn't a 'special' button, that I'm aware of.

Dice said:

If you haven't already played later glitch levels, this is definitely a hard one. Ch2's is very easy in comparison.

Davidion

UrbanRats said:
It's not easy, to be a Forest level, yeah.. but at least it gives you an achievment.
To get over that jump you're talking about, i used the background art as a reference, so i could nail the jump everytime i failed ahead in the level.

I'm through world 2 and I haaaaaaate this level. It's the only one I haven't been able to beat thus far.

Volcynika

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1141619p1.html

Super Meat Boy fans are in for a meaty treat. Starting sometime in mid-January, a free content update for the PC version of the game will become available. The update adds, among other things, a level editor, an online level portal, and a new chapter called "Super Meat World."

Below is the full detailed list provided by Team Meat:

A fully supported Super Meat Boy level editor.

- Players will be able to create anything they have seen level wise ingame (minus bosses)

- Players will be able to lock levels so they are only playable with specific characters.

- When a player completes his level (validating its possible to beat) he will gain the option to upload it to the level portal.

An online level Portal.

- Players will have the ability to sort and play user made levels by date, difficulty and over all fun.

- Difficulty is internally calculated by the number of times users die before completing the level.

- Over all fun is calculated by users voting 1-5 stars on level completion.

This update will also include the addition of "Super Meat World" a chapter that will unlock with 30 bandages and appear on the over world map before the 1st chapter of the main game.

- Super Meat World will act as a Hub for full chapters hand picked by Team Meat.

- All chapters uploaded to Xbla after this update will be featured here.

- Select chapters will also be uploaded to Xblas "internets" chapter as well.

- Many selected chapters will be character specific and created by designers like Matt Thorson (jumper / give up robot), Gaijin Games (bit.trip series), Michael "Kayin" O'Reilly (I wanna be the guy) and many more.

But! by far the coolest aspect of Super Meat World is your ability to "Enter the Unknown".

Enter the unknown is a PC specific feature that grabs random user made levels from the level portal and arranges them in order of difficulty.

- When Players enter the unknown they will choose what difficulty they want to play.

- The unknown will only feature levels ranked 3+ on over all fun factor.

- Every time you play will be a totally new set of levels, endless content.

Holepunch

Enter the Unknown sounds amazing, I just hope the PC will have a big enough community of map editors to support "endless gameplay".

Glix

UrbanRats said:

smb.jpg

I did this level with the keyboard yesterday. Just sayin! :p

EDIT: That sucks so bad about the Wii version.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Does anyone have the logical USB DUALSHOCK keybinds for PC?

9hN7y.png

keyboard
{
up="up";
down="down";
left="left";
right="right";
jump="space";
special="shift";
}

gamepad
{
jump="4";
special="2";
useanalog="true";
}

Bound these two so far

4 = Square = jump

2 = X = run

If anyone finds the commands for the MENUS post them here please.

ex. confirm command, leader boards, dark world etc etc so that I can bind them properly.

I HATE the dualshock for this game, I would rather use my 360 controller but I don't have the adapter... At least the DS is a ton times better than the KB.

legend166

One level to go until I A+ on all light world levels.

Is that actually an achievement? I mean, I have no idea if I'm good or bad at the game.

r.gun

Neo Member
Slayer-33 said:
Does anyone have the logical USB DUALSHOCK keybinds for PC?

9hN7y.png

Bound these two so far

4 = Square = jump

2 = X = run

If anyone finds the commands for the MENUS post them here please.

ex. confirm command, leader boards, dark world etc etc so that I can bind them properly.

I HATE the dualshock for this game, I would rather use my 360 controller but I don't have the adapter... At least the DS is a ton times better than the KB.

Just have it emulate the 360 controller through MotionJoy.

Mr Jared

UrbanRats said:

http://b.imagehost.org/0971/smb.jpg

An easier way to do this is to make that first jump exactly how you drew it out, then leap over the spikes and veer all the way to the right to go under the remaining platform. You should grab the side of the ledge you need to land on, so just mash A as you approach it.

Inkwell

Banned
I wanted to 100% the game, but that's not going to happen. Got to one of the later levels in the chapter 3 dark world and there's no way I'll be able to fucking beat it. Even if by some miracle I do, I won't be able to get the god damn bandage that's in it. Even with the more difficult levels, I've felt like I could eventually beat them (and collect the bandage/get to the warp zone). I know it's going to get a hell of a lot harder too. I don't even want to finish it now. Fuck this game.

samoset

Damn game crashed on me after completing the First level of the guy. :(
Not angry though immediately reloaded the game and re-beat the first level and went on to complete the rest of it. :)

OK so I have a few questions.

1. In world 1-5x (dark world) are there infinite bandages? I keep getting bandages and they keep coming. I am at 44 bandages and I havent even played a different world yet.

2. I beat the warp zone in 1-5 and it said she was someplace else and doesnt show I completed it. What is this about?

Inkwell said:
I wanted to 100% the game, but that's not going to happen. Got to one of the later levels in the chapter 3 dark world and there's no way I'll be able to fucking beat it. Even if by some miracle I do, I won't be able to get the god damn bandage that's in it. Even with the more difficult levels, I've felt like I could eventually beat them (and collect the bandage/get to the warp zone). I know it's going to get a hell of a lot harder too. I don't even want to finish it now. Fuck this game.

don't give up, these same levels you are commenting on seemed impossible to me too when I first saw them but a little effort and perseverance and they are all beatable, if I was able to get 100% on the game then anyone should :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Inkwell said:
Talking about 3-19x I assume.

Believe in yourself. I did <3

ChryZ said:
Played the first batch of levels. Awesome game, so much fun. Looks great even up to 1920x1200. Tried only my trusty DS2 via USB adapter so far and meat boy controlled beautifully. Tonight I will try the Saturn USB pad, I'm expecting great things.
Plays so Damn well with a Saturn controller

Llyranor

The controls are really spot-on. Very nice.

Favorite game feature is the replays. Hilarious stuff as you watch your legion of meatboys jump around dying all over the place.

Decided to demo the game on the 360.
Not feeling it. Seems like the kind of game that would just make me angry after awhile. I get enough of that in 2D shooters.
I recognize its quality but eh. Well Team Meat got some of my money anyway thanks to the insane Steam sale.

Team Meat is giving away some Steam key codes on Twitter. Gogogogogo

Edit: Latest one: GN82E-CAQ24-M98EA-WFJ6Y-H9VFG

Edit 2: XBLA code: P T Q R F 6 C T C M 4 K G C M G M P W C Q X V X Z

Just started playing the game an hour ago. I can't say I am having loads of fun playing it, but it is decent in its own right. The controls are good and the levels are well designed. I am sure it will get better as I progress, at least I hope so (as I love platformers).

One question about leaderboards, are people cheating or is it my idea (0 seconds completion).

Well I hate the controls! I can't seem to be able to climb walls with my controller (dual shock 3). I know how it works (jump, turbo, jump, turbo), but it's somewhat cumbersome and frustrating to be forced to do it for longer stretches of time. I also tried different configurations and I just really hate it.
VVVVVV (which I bought at the same time) is so much more fun (game mechanic wise).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
uh, there is basically never a moment in this game where you can't just throw your finger on the run trigger and play.

jump at a wall. you will slide on it. now press the jump button and hold the stick toward the wall. voila, you have climbed a wall.

Cardigan

Phantast2k said:
Well I hate the controls! I can't seem to be able to climb walls with my controller (dual shock 3). I know how it works (jump, turbo, jump, turbo), but it's somewhat cumbersome and frustrating to be forced to do it for longer stretches of time. I also tried different configurations and I just really hate it.
VVVVVV (which I bought at the same time) is so much more fun (game mechanic wise).
I've had some problems using the DS3 for wall jumping, too. I've found that when I use the analog stick the jump button randomly will not be recognized. Using the dpad seems to fix that. Sucks, cause I'd rather use the stick like I do on the 360.

Jirotrom

Sgt.Pepper said:
Team Meat is giving away some Steam key codes on Twitter. Gogogogogo

Edit: Latest one: GN82E-CAQ24-M98EA-WFJ6Y-H9VFG

Edit 2: XBLA code: P T Q R F 6 C T C M 4 K G C M G M P W C Q X V X Z
So pissed... talk about the worst time to do this, I was fast asleep lol

MjFrancis said:
6-5 Light World is tearing me a new one. Anyone who claims this game is easy is a dick. There, I said it.
Just finished it, the last 3 levels were so unforgiving. Labeling this as an "easy" game is just bullshit talk.
edit: finished with 1287 deaths oO

MNC

Don't know why people are having trouble with Omega, it's just as difficult (=challenging!) as the rest of some of the levels. Cotton Valley is far more annoying :( Fuck the rocketmonsters that split up. Those are the real culprit assholes.

Top Bottom