• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

I can't believe some people are complaining about the length and difficulty of the last Cotton Alley level... it's the last level of the game, what do you expect from a game like this? If anything I was actually disappointed as it took a little while for me to beat it but I was expecting a tougher conclusion to the game...

Nabs

Sgt.Pepper said:
How the crap some of you manage to get <10 sec in 2-8? :lol
9.18 :) i loved replaying that level to get a better time. i'm still a hair away from the top spot on my friends list :\

Amir0x

Banned
nincompoop said:
Way to be a douche. If one of the game's levels is unreasonably difficult to get an A time on due to bad design then I'm well within my rights to complain about it.

Guess it depends on what 'unreasonably' difficult means. Does it mean 'it is not within your skill level?'

Amir0x said:
Guess it depends on what 'unreasonably' difficult means. Does it mean 'it is not within your skill level?'
Nice edit. Obviously I disagreed with your original point (of it being easy to get an A on and I should abandon hope of finishing other levels) since it's the only level in the game that gave me any trouble getting an A rank. As I've explained already, the difficulty is unreasonable because not only does the level allow barely any margin for error to finish in the allotted time, but it's also more than 3 times as long as almost every other level in Cotton Alley, so you have to accomplish the equivalent of finishing three of those levels in a row just to finish that one level. There were a few other levels earlier in the game which were similarly long, but those levels gave you a lot more breathing room for getting the A rank, so their difficulty wasn't unreasonable since you could play them more carefully and take your time handling their various obstacles.

Haunted

I'm fairly certain frustration platformers like Meat Boy are one of the few genres where "suck it up and try harder" is a valid answer to difficulty complaints. :lol Difficulty spike compared to every other level in the game or not.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nabs said:
9.18 :) i loved replaying that level to get a better time. i'm still a hair away from the top spot on my friends list :\

Just tried it again. I THINK i can go faster. Let me try.

Edit:
Yup, 8.44 now.

Salsa

Nothing cheap about this game. Just keep playing and get better. The quick interface makes this fairly easy, i could repeat a level 200 times without even noticing it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SalsaShark said:
Nothing cheap about this game. Just keep playing and get better. The quick interface makes this fairly easy, i could repeat a level 200 times without even noticing it.

Which reminds me. Before playing the kid levels I had about 3200 deaths. After finally unlocking "The Kid" I had 4999 deaths.

Edit:
Now it might take around 100 deaths for me to do it again.
So yeah. You can definitely practice in this game. You can get better. Nothing cheap about it.

Toma

Sgt.Pepper said:
But seriously, how do you avoid that "jelly" thing in the way? That's the main reason I can't finish under 15. I tried going to the upper side, but I died. :lol

Edit: Could you add me too? I'd like more people with the game. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LtCohenG/home

Hm? which of the Jelly things? There are quite a few of them. And I could somehow upload the 8,44 replay if you like if someone tells me a good way to do it.

(And you need to delete the "home" from the link to get it to work. Otherwise it redirects you to the steam frontpage)

Kade

SalsaShark said:

It's one of the best uses of Groundhog Day design in static levels, I'd say. Right when you die, you just come back within a second to try again until you get it right. No loading, no menus, no bullshit. Team Meat knows what up.

Toma said:
Hm? which of the Jelly things? There are quite a few of them. And I could somehow upload the 8,44 replay if you like if someone tells me a good way to do it.

(And you need to delete the "home" from the link to get it to work. Otherwise it redirects you to the steam frontpage)
Around the mid-level there are two of those Jelly things where the way to pass is to wait for one in the way.

It's a rectangular block that has some needles underneath and you have to wall jump to pass, near the warp zone.

UrbanRats

Toma said:
Just tried it again. I THINK i can go faster. Let me try.

Edit:
Yup, 8.44 now.
I have 8.91 on that :O
guess i can't do better.

Also, how can we take screencaps in the game? tried with "print", but it's a no-go.. i guess i need fraps?

Toma

Sgt.Pepper said:
Around the mid-level there are two of those Jelly things where the way to pass is to wait for one in the way.

It's a rectangular block that has some needles underneath and you have to wall jump to pass, near the warp zone.

You mean this? Just be sure to be fast enough that the blob below is not already in the way.
210aflf.jpg

UrbanRats said:
Also, how can we take screencaps in the game? tried with "print", but it's a no-go.. i guess i need fraps?

I am running the game in window mode. There "print" seems to work. Took the screenshot with it.

Haunted

dygiT said:
It's one of the best uses of Groundhog Day design in static levels, I'd say. Right when you die, you just come back within a second to try again until you get it right. No loading, no menus, no bullshit. Team Meat knows what up.
Makes levels like the glitch worlds with their 3 lives -> return to map -> enter glitch world -> click through 3 screens bullshit all the more puzzling in comparison.

The quick return to the start makes it really painless to replay, was the same with PoP.

feel

managed to get spot 55 worldwide (360) on one of the last levels of chapter 2 (dark), and when I go to check on the other dudes that did better than me some of them have 0.00 time.. wtffff :/

Toma said:
You mean this? Just be sure to be fast enough that the blob below is not already in the way.
http://i55.tinypic.com/210aflf.jpg[IMG]

I am running the game in window mode. There "print" seems to work. Took the screenshot with it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that one. Everytime I made it there the damn thing is in the way.

I also edited my link just so you know.

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/LtCohenG/[/url]

[QUOTE=Letters]managed to get spot 55 worldwide (360) on one of the last levels of chapter 2 (dark), and when I go to check on the other dudes that did better than me some of them have 0.00 time.. wtffff :/[/QUOTE]
Must be hacking. There's someone with the name Neku/Neko that has 0.00 it every (almost?) in all the levels.

Toma

Letters said:
managed to get spot 55 worldwide (360) on one of the last levels of chapter 2 (dark), and when I go to check on the other dudes that did better than me some of them have 0.00 time.. wtffff :/

Yeah thats why I dont care about the world ranking. Damn cheaters. And thats why I love my friends list ranking :) Only good people on there.
On that note:
If anyone wants to add me, feel free:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029022097/

Sgt.Pepper said:
Yeah, that one. Everytime I made it there the damn thing is in the way.

I also edited my link just so you know.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LtCohenG/

And I am already in your friends list :p

Toma

Sgt.Pepper said:
I just checked and yep. :lol

Its a bit strange that you/me dont know all the people on your/my "friends" list but eh. Really nice to have some reliable scores from people who most likely dont cheat.

Toma said:
Its a bit strange that you/me dont know all the people on your/my "friends" list but eh. Really nice to have some reliable scores from people who most likely dont cheat.
That's because some have really different names from the ones here at GAF, and since I just left my link there; it's kinda difficult to know who is who.

You and GaimeGuy are on top in almost every level in my friend list. The only level so far I'm quite high is in 1-18x.

Edit: This game keeps crashing on me everytime I use alt + tab. It's annoying when I try to post and play the game at the same time.

Tain

Keyboard is fine for this. I played with a pad because I had one lying around, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a keyboard for this kind of game.

Nabs

Sgt.Pepper said:
That's because some have really different names from the ones here at GAF, and since I just left my link there; it's kinda difficult to know who is who.

You and GaimeGuy are on top in almost every level in my friend list. The only level so far I'm quite high is in 1-18x.

Edit: This game keeps crashing on me everytime I use alt + tab. It's annoying when I try to post and play the game at the same time.

don't alt tab, use shift tab.

vanty

Haven't really played in the past couple weeks, just went on to check leaderboards and find most of my sub-1000 times are now struggling to be under 5000 or even 10000 :lol Still have some around the 300 ranking on world 1 where I actually tried to set fast times, they used to be around 60-100 in the world when I set them.

Friends leaderboard is significantly bigger than it was as well.

I can't physically do Kid's level

I'm sorry... I just can't do it. It's too hard. I get around the middle of the first level and just blink at the wrong second and die.

Is there some sort of easy trick to it, or is just something you sit down and dedicate a day to perfect?

UrbanRats

Toma said:
210aflf.jpg

I am running the game in window mode. There "print" seems to work. Took the screenshot with it.
i'll try with windowed mode :O
Also, if you press "X+right", while on top of that rectangular, you should land precisely on one of those(the first one)blocks on the other side, from which you can jump to B.Girl, basically.
i used it to get 8.91

Toma

balladofwindfishes said:
I can't physically do Kid's level

I'm sorry... I just can't do it. It's too hard. I get around the middle of the first level and just blink at the wrong second and die.

Is there some sort of easy trick to it, or is just something you sit down and dedicate a day to perfect?

Took me 3-4 hours, 1800 deaths and a 36 hour break between level 2 and 3. Yup, practice. Unfortunately, no easy trick. Just get the pattern down.

UrbanRats said:
i'll try with windowed mode :O
Also, if you press "X+right", while on top of that rectangular, you should land precisely on one of those(the first one)blocks on the other side, from which you can jump to B.Girl, basically.
i used it to get 8.91

Really? That works? Need to try that later. My version was the walljump in the vid that I posted above if you want to know.

UrbanRats

Toma said:
Really? That works? Need to try that later. My version was the walljump in the vid that I posted above if you want to know.
smb1.jpg

Took a screen (windowed, it works :p).

Actually i don't know if it's better than your solution, because with mine, you have to wait for the slug to go over the gap and strart sliding down the right side of the rectangular, while with your method, you can jump right away.
Ofcourse we are talking about fractions of seconds here, but still.

Toma

The moment we brought this topic up my friends highscore list went from 2 people under 10 seconds to 7 people under 10 seconds :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
9-10 seconds is a walk in the park.

Edit: Kinda sucks that there seems to be enough glitches and whatnot that you can't tell where the real times begin on the global chart. I mean it might be possible to get it within the 7th second but I'm not really sure.

Inkwell

Banned
FUCK YES

After taking a break from the game, I came back and conquered dark world 3-19 and collected the bandage.

That's all I can take of this game for the night :(

Toma

Dice said:
9-10 seconds is a walk in the park.

Edit: Kinda sucks that there seems to be enough glitches and whatnot that you can't tell where the real times begin on the global chart. I mean it might be possible to get it within the 7th second but I'm not really sure.
And yeah thats why I love my friends list. And since there is no 8.30 on my friends list I demand you being on it! (So that I can keep an eye on you :p ) Steam Link is a bit up. (Please?)

8.32 right now.

Edit: Finally 8:30

But... Wallach is already at 8:22
argh.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'd like some Super Meat Boy leaderboard competition. I'm through Chapter 1 (light and dark) and I'm at the top of my friends leaderboard on all but maybe one level.

Gamertag is my username.

Toma

Wallach with 7.98 ... FU both :D
Just got 8.07 >_<

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I'm interpreting the leaderboards correctly, 7.89 is the world record.

Wallach

Might be, since the next Meat Boy is in the 5 second range which is definitely not possible. I just got 7.95. I'm getting that damn record.

Toma

Dice said:
If I'm interpreting the leaderboards correctly, 7.89 is the world record.

I had 7.89... but it didnt count. WHY DIDNT IT REGISTER AS MY HIGHSCORE. AAAAAAAAAH.

Top Bottom