• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Super Meat Boy is £3.00 again on Steam. Dunno what it is for the US. $5.00 or so, I imagine. Somebody want to check?

Seriously, people have NO EXCUSE not to have picked SMB up in some form before the year is up.

I'm not a computer expert, but when I hook up my laptop to my TV, with a 1080p, the game runs really slow. Is it my computer? I do the same with TF2 and there's hardly a problem...

smurfx

get some go again
god dammit super meat boy is now 3.75. would of liked paying that instead of 7.50 for a game that doesn't work.

Chavelo

nincompoop said:
Way to be a douche. If one of the game's levels is unreasonably difficult to get an A time on due to me being a whiny/weak gamer then I'm well within my rights to complain about it.
Fixed. :-3

MAN THE FUCK UP, SOLDIER. DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.... BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU.

>:-O

What's the best/cheapest pad to buy for this game? Playing the game on a keyboard is very hard for me, but I've managed to do a big chunk of world 2 levels.

I was thinking of getting a wired 360 controller but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

TheExodu5

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
What's the best/cheapest pad to buy for this game? Playing the game on a keyboard is very hard for me, but I've managed to do a big chunk of world 2 levels.

I was thinking of getting a wired 360 controller but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Just get one. Worth it in the long run, since so many games support the 360 controller.

OMG. The game is on sale for 3,50€? ARGH! Why do I have no money. Damn you Christmas. The offer will be only a day, right? Not till the 3th january, right

Hypertrooper said:
OMG. The game is on sale for 3,50€? ARGH! Why do I have no money. Damn you Christmas. The offer will be only a day, right? Not till the 3th january, right

It's a daily deal, but it was also a previous daily deal only five or so days ago. I think it was the same price. So who knows? It could pop up again.

YAAA MOTHERFUCKER I DID IT

Chavelo said:
Fixed. :-3

MAN THE FUCK UP, SOLDIER. DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.... BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU.

>:-O
You still have to admit, that particular level is BY FAR the least forgiving in the game when it comes to getting an A rank, which combined with the fact that it's around 3 times as long as the average level makes it stand out as a random difficulty spike, which constitutes bad design.

Ben2749 said:
It's a daily deal, but it was also a previous daily deal only five or so days ago. I think it was the same price. So who knows? It could pop up again.
Team Meat said on Twitter that this is the last time at this price. :p

Sgt.Pepper said:
Team Meat said on Twitter that this is the last time at this price. :p

In any case, it certainly can't be argued that they haven't given people enough chances to grab the game for a bargain price. Hell, they've even given away a shitload of free download codes on Twitter ever since the game launched on XBLA and Steam, respectively.

Just bought another copy as a gift for a friend. I despised the game at first, and I warned him that he'd have the same reaction, but once it clicked, wow.

Beezy

nincompoop said:
YAAA MOTHERFUCKER I DID IT

You still have to admit, that particular level is BY FAR the least forgiving in the game when it comes to getting an A rank, which combined with the fact that it's around 3 times as long as the average level makes it stand out as a random difficulty spike, which constitutes bad design.
The last stage in the game being one of the hardest = random difficulty spike? C'mon son. Bad design my ass. Man up.

Everyone needs to buy this. Seriously, no excuse for the best downloadable game this year.

Limbo may have the heart, Monkey Island and Perfect Dark may have the nostalgia, but this has the best overall package all round.

Beezy said:
The last stage in the game being one of the hardest = random difficulty spike? C'mon son. Bad design my ass. Man up.
If there was a reasonable buildup in difficulty leading up to it instead of it being a million times harder than the levels that came before it then it would be fine, but sudden spikes in difficulty are always bad design even if they're the final level.

nincompoop said:
If there was a reasonable buildup in difficulty leading up to it instead of it being a million times harder than the levels that came before it then it would be fine, but sudden spikes in difficulty are always bad design even if they're the final level.

I can't say I found it to be a sudden spike in difficulty. I struggled with other levels just as much, some moreso.

Have you done any of the Dark World Cotton Alley levels? If not, and you think that the last level in the Light World is "bad design", then I'd advise you to stop playing now, as the game is about to get extremely shitty.

Ben2749 said:
I can't say I found it to be a sudden spike in difficulty. I struggled with other levels just as much, some moreso.

Have you done any of the Dark World Cotton Alley levels? If not, and you think that the last level in the Light World is "bad design", then I'd advise you to stop playing now, as the game is about to get extremely shitty.
The main issue is the length; given that there's no checkpoints, the number of attempts needed to beat the level increases exponentially with the length of the level, and 4 letter word was at least twice as long as every other level in Cotton Alley. Plus there's the fact that you can't take your time at all if you want the A rank, and if you make the slightest mistake at any point in the level then it throws off the whole timing of the moving platforms and pretty much fucks you over. I haven't tried the Cotton Alley dark world levels yet but given that they're all significantly shorter I can't see them posing as much of a problem.

Twig said:
Yeah, A rank should be easy to get, not hard.
Well they should've been more consistent then, since there were only a few other levels in the game that I didn't get an A on my first time beating them and even on those levels I at least came close.

Beat the whole World 1, i'm just missing 5 bandages.

I managed to be the first one in 1-18x with 3.48 of all the people in my friend list. :D

kenta

Has no PEINS
The only reason I haven't bought this yet is because I'm not sure how well controllers are supported on Mac, if at all. Does a 360 or PS3 controller work, anyone know?

nincompoop said:
The main issue is the length; given that there's no checkpoints, the number of attempts needed to beat the level increases exponentially with the length of the level, and 4 letter word was at least twice as long as every other level in Cotton Alley. Plus there's the fact that you can't take your time at all if you want the A rank, and if you make the slightest mistake at any point in the level then it throws off the whole timing of the moving platforms and pretty much fucks you over. I haven't tried the Cotton Alley dark world levels yet but given that they're all significantly shorter I can't see them posing as much of a problem.

Have fun with the last one. It's exactly the same level as 4-Letter Word, only you start at the top. And there's a line of saws scrolling down chasing you.

kenta

Has no PEINS
HadesGigas said:
Googled: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Not sure if SMB would work with it or if you'd then need a key mapping program too. Even still, you can get your $4 worth out of the game with just the keyboard.
Well I know Google will inevitably tell me about some controller thing for Mac, I should have been more specific about asking if the developers have said anything about controller support in Mac for this game specifically

I guess I could bootcamp into Windows to play the game

kenta said:
Well I know Google will inevitably tell me about some controller thing for Mac, I should have been more specific about asking if the developers have said anything about controller support in Mac for this game specifically

I guess I could bootcamp into Windows to play the game

Throw them the question on their twitter @SuperMeatBoy

Helmholtz

smurfx said:
god dammit super meat boy is now 3.75. would of liked paying that instead of 7.50 for a game that doesn't work.
That's a pretty broad, sweeping statement that really only applies to you and maybe a few other people who are in the minority. Any small technical problems I've had with the game have been fixed with patches in a timely manner.

Helmholtz said:
That's a pretty broad, sweeping statement that really only applies to you and maybe a few other people who are in the minority. Any small technical problems I've had with the game have been fixed with patches in a timely manner.

The lesson is don't buy any non-daily deals until the last day. Even games that were on daily deal that you missed for whatever reason. There's always a possibility they'll get cheaper somehow.

I just got 20 bandages, and something popped up telling me I unlocked something. The screen went away way too fast, so I didn't get to see what it was. Can anyone tell me what I unlocked? Nothing seems noticeable.

Volcynika

Blu_LED said:
I just got 20 bandages, and something popped up telling me I unlocked something. The screen went away way too fast, so I didn't get to see what it was. Can anyone tell me what I unlocked? Nothing seems noticeable.

Probably a character. I think the head crab.

Cohsae

Blu_LED said:
Is that when it says "You have unlocked something locked" or words to that effect?
Googling says it could mean that 20 bandages unlocks the level editor, or some other feature that will be added in that big patch.

It could have been the window for Meat Ninja, a character you unlock when you get all the bandages. For some reason, the game ocassionally throws that message at you at the start of a level (even after you've unlocked him). It's very rare, and only appears for a second or so.

Haunted

electroshockwave said:
Is there a demo available for this on PC? I'm tempted to get it from steam but I want to see how the keyboard controls are first.
kdCvJ.png

X8sTc.png

iwCz3.png

D6cLB.png

Just sayin'.

Top Bottom