• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dice said:
7.81.... bitch. :D

Yeah. Well... *goes to bed*

(Crazy. We are 28, 31 and 35 in world ranking. That makes which legit ranking? 5th, 8th and 12th? Not bad.)

vanty

Wallach is the only non-Aussie I have on my friends list due to his help with gifting, and he's the top time on almost every stage out of my 20 or so friends with the game :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Toma said:
(Crazy. We are 28, 31 and 35 in world ranking. That makes which legit ranking? 5th, 8th and 12th? Not bad.)
There are no legit times (5.62 impossible) with Super Meat Boy for the character icon. Thus, I think I have #1 in the world for SMB time. ^_^

Edit: And I definitely kept trying for better than 7.81 but couldn't get it. Now my hand is cramping like crazy because of the shitty ergonomics of the 360 controller for playing in this specific way. It would be sooooo much better if I could use the Y & B buttons or have A be run and X be jump. Team Meat please patch in custom button mapping.

Kntj

This game is surprisingly demanding on pc. Barely works on my laptop and meat boy randomly goes through a wall and dies, wtf. I have it on xbla though and it's propably my GOTY :) Played The Kid levels yesterday, took me 2-3 hours in total.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dice said:
There are no legit times (5.62 impossible) with Super Meat Boy for the character icon. Thus, I think I have #1 in the world for SMB time. ^_^

Edit: And I definitely kept trying for better than 7.81 but couldn't get it. Now my hand is cramping like crazy because of the shitty ergonomics of the 360 controller for playing in this specific way. It would be sooooo much better if I could use the Y & B buttons. Team Meat please patch in custom button mapping.

Same here. But i rather want to use R1 instead of R2 on my dualshock3.

mokeyjoe

Kntj said:
This game is surprisingly demanding on pc. Barely works on my laptop and meat boy randomly goes through a wall and dies, wtf. I have it on xbla though and it's propably my GOTY :) Played The Kid levels yesterday, took me 2-3 hours in total.

Really? Works great on my netbook, and that's about as low as you can go.

Kntj

mokeyjoe said:
Really? Works great on my netbook, and that's about as low as you can go.

hmm. Is there some setting other than resolution that I didn't notice?

edit: It's now somewhat playable after setting it to 640x480 and closing almost all other programs.

Haunted said:
kdCvJ.png

Just sayin'.

For a game that talks trash about how much better gamepads are every time you start it up SMB has pretty lousy gamepad support. I'm using xpadder right now because it's easier than editing the config file to get my Saturn pad working. Also, without any gamepad plugged in I still get 360 button prompts.

Also also, it's bizarre to see the 360 controller with it's jacked up d-pad held up as the gold standard for 2d platformers.

mokeyjoe

Kntj said:
hmm. Is there some setting other than resolution that I didn't notice?

I don't think so. It was very playable at 1024x600 but I dropped the res to 640x480 as there's not much of a difference on a 10" screen and the framerate is more like 60fps at standard def. I wasn't going to buy it but on the developers page he said he tested it on his netbook and it ran fine, and I can attest to that. Maybe you have driver issues or something.

edit - that link also mentions slowdown on some systems - might be helpful.

edit2 - also explains custom button mapping for those who were interested.

Holepunch

Dice said:
7.81.... bitch. :D
7.61s

Sorry to interrupt your guy's Meat-a-thon but that level's record belongs to Naija. I mean I guess if you don't like winning you can keep playing Meat Boy, but us real pros play with a little fish girl.

Holepunch said:
7.61s

Sorry to interrupt your guy's Meat-a-thon but that level's record belongs to Naija. I mean I guess if you don't like winning you can keep playing Meat Boy, but us real pros play with a little fish girl.

I've been using Runman and Naija a lot lately. It's fun. Don't be afraid to use other characters, people!

Twig

Banned
Holepunch said:
7.61s

Different characters should have different leaderboards. Be more fun that way, IMO. I could use the character I like and still compete on the same level as someone using a clearly superior character!

Beezy

CaptainAhab said:
For a game that talks trash about how much better gamepads are every time you start it up SMB has pretty lousy gamepad support. I'm using xpadder right now because it's easier than editing the config file to get my Saturn pad working. Also, without any gamepad plugged in I still get 360 button prompts.

Also also, it's bizarre to see the 360 controller with it's jacked up d-pad held up as the gold standard for 2d platformers.
When a game only uses the directions left and right, the 360 dpad is perfectly fine.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Beezy said:
When a game only uses the directions left and right, the 360 dpad is perfectly fine.
Except its much quicker to whip the analog stick left to right than to tap the D-pad in a direction when it had a chance of "arcing" its way from left to right, taking more time to switch directions. In the heat of SMB platforming, I would rather not take that risk.

Beezy

enzo_gt said:
Except its much quicker to whip the analog stick left to right than to tap the D-pad in a direction when it had a chance of "arcing" its way from left to right, taking more time to switch directions. In the heat of SMB platforming, I would rather not take that risk.
You have tiny thumbs or something? I slide my thumb from left to right, I don't tap anything. I never lift my thumb off the dpad while playing this game. I used the analog when I first got the game and the dpad is much quicker the way I use it. I A+'d the whole game this way.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Beezy said:
You have tiny thumbs or something? I slide my thumb from left to right, I don't tap anything. I never lift my thumb off the dpad while playing this game. I used the analog when I first got the game and the dpad is much quicker the way I use it. I A+'d the whole game this way.
Nope. Even sliding the 360 D-pad can be horrendous, best way to describe the 360 D-pad is unpredictable, because most of the time, it is. Maybe I'm just still feeling the hurt caused from playing 2D fighters with the D-pad, hoping it'd get better.

yeb

<_<

5p0k1c.png

>_>
... Naija can be pretty crazy. The hardest part was that I got to the last blob so fast I had to wait on it until I could scrape by as narrowly as possible.

For some reason, my time on the leaderboards never matches my actual time. It's always a little too fast or too slow. This time, it was consistently about 1/10th of a second below my actual run. I was seeing 6.9x times on the leaderboard when I was actually getting 7.0x, and now it shows my time as 6.86 I think. Is there any reason for that?

ArjanN

Beezy said:

When a game only uses the directions left and right with a separate jump button, a pad isn't even really any better than keyboard controls anyway.

Out of all the games I've picked up on the cheap SMB is by far the one I have enjoyed the most so far. A great platformer and am loving the difficulty and satisfaction you get when you finally beat a level (am playing on keyboard). Almost feel bad picking up such a great game for $3.75, may end up gifting it to some friends as well.

Beezy

ArjanN said:
When a game only uses the directions left and right with a separate jump button, a pad isn't even really any better than keyboard controls anyway.
You would think that, but it feels terrible with a keyboard imo.

syllogism said:
100% with the keyboard, you better work on your keyboard skills
I think I'll just use the superior controlling method as Team Meat intended.

Kade

Beezy said:
You would think that, but it feels terrible with a keyboard imo.

I think I'll just use the superior controlling method as Team Meat intended.

Developers always intend for things to be played a certain way but high-level players disregard that and alway come out on top.
emot-smug.gif

Twig

Banned
syllogism said:
100% with the keyboard, you better work on your keyboard skills
Just because I CAN do it with an inferior control scheme doesn't mean I SHOULD.

I'm happy with my superior control scheme, thanks. Go troll elsewhere, TROLL.

syllogism

Especially in a game like this that doesn't have multiplayer and good leaderboard times don't require a certain control scheme to be used

Dice

1) Just woke up and my hand ain't right. I'm going to have to find a better way to play this game until they fix the crappy controller layout. Also going to take a break from it until my hand feels normal again.

2) Different characters really should have different leaderboards. Competition needs standardized parameters.

3) Inconsistency between displayed time and leaderboard time? Can we get confirmation on this? I've just been playing until I get something that feels faster then backing out to the map to see what it was, but if there is inconsistency that kinda spoils competition for me. I'd hate to think that I actually did beat my best time last night and ruined my hand doing so but it didn't register correctly.

4) Team Meat, why make us watch the entire replay or back out to see what we got? The time we got should be clearly displayed during the kidnapping animation before the replay.

5) I like how it seems they had no idea just how fucking serious we'd get. :lol

fresquito

This game is devilish (no news here). I'm very glad I bought it. However, I'm thoinking about using my arcade stick instead of the regular Xbox360 pad. Just for the sake of it! :lol

Dice

fresquito said:
This game is devilish (no news here). I'm very glad I bought it. However, I'm thoinking about using my arcade stick instead of the regular Xbox360 pad. Just for the sake of it! :lol
Now I wish I still had mine. Legendary games require such things.

Dice said:
1) Just woke up and my hand ain't right. I'm going to have to find a better way to play this game until they fix the crappy controller layout. Also going to take a break from it until my hand feels normal again.

2) Different characters really should have different leaderboards. Competition needs standardized parameters.

3) Inconsistency between displayed time and leaderboard time? Can we get confirmation on this? I've just been playing until I get something that feels faster then backing out to the map to see what it was, but if there is inconsistency that kinda spoils competition for me. I'd hate to think that I actually did beat my best time last night and ruined my hand doing so but it didn't register correctly.

(1) I personally like the controller layout, not used to games where running hasn't been made on the left side while jump is lower or on its right. Lets me use my thumb resting on both buttons. Also to add i've never used the 360 D pad before on platformers and got very big hands.

(2) a good point as some of them they play very different, and have both dis/advantages

(3) That happened to me yesterday, so I agree with this too. However I wish they delete all the obvious cheaters spamming every leaderboard. That would make it easier to see what is the right world record, as it hurts the times we achieve. It bothers me that I should be much lower than 15 on the ranking.

nekosaur

Dice said:

4) Team Meat, why make us watch the entire replay or back out to see what we got? The time we got should be clearly displayed during the kidnapping animation before the replay.

5) I like how it seems they had no idea just how fucking serious we'd get. :lol

This. Like you said it seems like they didn't realize how big the competition/leaderboard aspect of the game would be.

Such a simple thing like displaying the time after finishing the level is a glaring omission. Sitting through the whole replay for your time feels very counter-intuitive to their implementation of instant respawn.

edit: Also, is it just me or can you not restart the level while the replay is playing? It seems like you can only do it immediately before the replay starts, or at the end of it?

Kade

I want to see how the hell you guys are doing 2-8 in >8 seconds. I could have got somewhere in the 8s but I screwed up one of my jumps badly.

Fireblend

Banned
So I got this from a friend yesterday and just 100%'d World 1. Feels good, I love how rewarding this game is. The keyboard layout totally sucks (my hands ache), I wish I was home so I could use my gamepad, but I'll have to get used to it until februrary, ouch.

Edit: in case anyone wants to add me on steam, my id is Fireblend, same as here. :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fireblend said:
So I got this from a friend yesterday and just 100%'d World 1. Feels good, I love how rewarding this game is. The keyboard layout totally sucks (my hands ache), I wish I was home so I could use my gamepad, but I'll have to get used to it until februrary, ouch.

Edit: in case anyone wants to add me on steam, my id is Fireblend, same as here. :D
Dude, edit the button config

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\super meat boy\buttonmap.cfg (or wherever your steam folder is located)

Fireblend

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Dude, edit the button config

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\super meat boy\buttonmap.cfg (or wherever your steam folder is located)
Seriously? I looked around some forums and they didn't mention this could be done. Now I feel like an idiot for not looking there like with any other game in the first place. :lol thanks.

Dice

dygiT said:
I want to see how the hell you guys are doing 2-8 in >8 seconds. I could have got somewhere in the 8s but I screwed up one of my jumps badly.
Pro tips:

1) Go faster. If you are on the ground or a wall longer than the minimum time required to jump off, you're doing it wrong.

2) Move forward. As in less up and down motion, more forward motion. Now I can do it using one less platform than I did my fastest time with, but it is slower because it has more time moving up and down. My fastest time has less of that and also involved skipping off the top of things rather than real jumping. Very difficult to finesse since he likes to jump so much.

3) Restart if you clip something. Just like hitting a wall in a racing game, just forget about that being a legit run in serious competition. It doesn't matter that he quickly returned to full speed, a clip slowed you down, and actually affects his momentum in the next jump whether you notice it or not.

Man now I'm going crazy with the idea of playing this with an arcade stick. It would be so perfect, and I have a wireless keyboard that wouldn't really work for this game. I hope the guy I sold my HRAP3 SA to is enjoying it.

farnham

Banned
anyone having problems paying on steam

i had problems with my credit card AND my paypal account

they just wont let me pay them money

wtf

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
farnham said:
anyone having problems paying on steam

i had problems with my credit card AND my paypal account

they just wont let me pay them money