• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

fresquito

I've checked the Achivements and some of them require beating a world without dying. I've died in every world I've played (multiple times), so I guess it's not exactly "never" die in a world. But I want to ask what's the deal here.

I'm thinking it probably means getting a reply in each stage where there're no dying SMBs.

syllogism

fresquito said:
I've checked the Achivements and some of them require beating a world without dying. I've died in every world I've played (multiple times), so I guess it's not exactly "never" die in a world. But I want to ask what's the deal here.

I'm thinking it probably means getting a reply in each stage where there're no dying SMBs.
You've to complete all the levels, in any order, without dying or returning to the world selection screen. You can return to the level (not world) selection screen after beating a level and use any character except the 100 bandage one. Supposedly you can even switch character during a level if it looks likely you are going to die and it won't count as a death.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Has anyone unlocked Captain Veridian yet? I'm pretty much incapable of accomplishing something like that, but I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems that he either breaks a level, or more likely, makes it damn near impossible. It is kinda funny to see him flip up and die by flying off screen. I wish there was cheat codes for chumps like me so we could at least have a chance to play as our favorite characters.

fresquito

syllogism said:
You've to complete all the levels, in any order, without dying or returning to the world selection screen. You can return to the level (not world) selection screen after beating a level and use any character except the 100 bandage one. Supposedly you can even switch character during a level if it looks likely you are going to die and it won't count as a death.
Thanks. That's pretty hardcore, if you ask me :lol

joesmokey

I'm trying to use the 360 controller adapter on my laptop (Windows Vista) and I'm having trouble getting the correct button layout. For example, A is assigned to B, and B is assigned to X.

Is there anyway to custom map the buttons so they are correct? I've never had this problem before as on my PC the button layout was fine. This is my first time using the controller with my laptop.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damnit.

I am 100% convinced that the clock is fucked up. I have become the zen master of that level. I figured out how to eliminate 2 jumps while keeping forward movement and I can tell by where the last enemies are on the platform that I am way faster than I was before, but it's telling me I got 8.3x which is either complete bullshit, or my 7.81 was complete bullshit. I guess I'm just going to treat this like a regular platformer unless there is a patch that top players (us, it would seem) confirm as fixing it.

Dice said:
Damnit.

I am 100% convinced that the clock is fucked up. I have become the zen master of that level. I figured out how to eliminate 2 jumps while keeping forward movement and I can tell by where the last enemies are on the platform that I am way faster than I was before, but it's telling me I got 8.3x which is either complete bullshit, or my 7.81 was complete bullshit. I guess I'm just going to treat this like a regular platformer unless there is a patch that top players (us, it would seem) confirm as fixing it.
I don't think you can use the enemies as a guide because sometimes you spawn slightly later and the enemies will have moved a bit more or less.

syllogism said:
Someone should pick a new speed running map, I feel like playing but need a motivation

I would like to see gaffers try (2-8x) grape soda, my time is 9.98. I could maybe improve it, but I don't feel like it until someone beats me :D.

I am getting obsessed with trying to beat everyones top score in my friend list.

UrbanRats

A+ed all the hospital (light&dark) i was doing the glitch stage, but i gave up, my right thumb is painfully sore.
I'll take a break.

Added a few people who posted their IDs, I'm _cem in steam. Will be interesting to join the speedrunning crew after I 100% the game :D

which I hope will be pretty soon!

Salsa

Any of you guys trying the iron man runs btw ?

i got these after the game came out:

8MkZV.png

Think im gonna keep doing them now

Holepunch

Every time I get into speedrunning this game I get too obsessive and HAVE to check how I stack up globally. Then I have a difficult time trying to figure out who's legit, who's bugged and who the hackers are. It's gotten more annoying now that hackers can break times in ways that aren't 0.00 but still close to what looks possible. Then I run into Steve levels and it just sucks all remaining motivation out of me. Running Steve just isn't fun, and I'd rather keep my slowass Meatboy record rather than erase it for a mediocre Steve time. So between Steves and hackers I really only hope on to compete with against GAF occasionally.

Oh, it just so happens I have decent record of 6-5 Omega. Last I checked it was the best legitmate record on there but it could've (should've) been broken by now. I'm Football Charlie on there, if someone wants to start another speedrun war.

Tucah

you speak so well
Bought this last night and have been playing it a lot today, such a fantastic game. I love platformers, and although I've never been very good at them, punishing platformers such as this are some of my favorite. I don't mind trying again and again and again because I still feel like I'm slowly getting better. Incredible game, great work Team Meat.

Just finished world 2, what an awesome boss fight (especially the music!). I notice I am terrible at finding those hidden bandages. It has been hard to progress due to the addiction of speed runs. Wallach you are quite a challenge, but I made sure I top your scores those times it was possible for me :D.

Hmm the second special level is much easier than the first, quite odd.

Dice

Ugh, my game is buggin out on 3.20. When I'm just standing there, SMB keeps shaking and going bubububububu like he is perpetually landing or something. I think in relation to whatever is making him do that, sometimes the jump button doesn't do anything. It is ruining the level when trying to get the bandage because you have to wait for the gun to fire and then jump... or he doesn't jump and it shoots him in the face as he stands there going bubububububu.

Wallach

Dice said:
Ugh, my game is buggin out on 3.20. When I'm just standing there, SMB keeps shaking and going bubububububu like he is perpetually landing or something. I think in relation to whatever is making him do that, sometimes the jump button doesn't do anything. It is ruining the level when trying to get the bandage because you have to wait for the gun to fire and then jump... or he doesn't jump and it shoots him in the face as he stands there going bubububububu.

This happens to me also on one of the dark levels in world 6 (I think it's 6-3x). I had to run it in windowed mode for it to quit but that causes other problems (including very obviously changing certain timings and input response). Be careful that you aren't forcing triple buffering in d3doverrider either because that also seems to fuck with all of the game's timings, as does NOT running vsync (the game is unplayable without vsync on my machine if its in fullscreen).

Nabs

Dice said:

that happens to me whenever i try to live stream the game. playing in windowed mode helps.

storafötter said:
I would like to see gaffers try (2-8x) grape soda, my time is 9.98. I could maybe improve it, but I don't feel like it until someone beats me :D.

I am getting obsessed with trying to beat everyones top score in my friend list.

HOW.

edit: best i can do is like 15.xx with runman. :(

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
oh great and mighty gaf members, i need your help. i am trying to use my ps3 controller to work with my PC and i tried to use motion joy but i could only get it working once. is there any other solution out there?

An-Det

Such a fantastic game. I just finished world 6, working on Cotton Alley now and going back for earlier Dark World levels. Some of the levels in World 6, holy shit. :lol

JoeFu

Banned
Was trying to unlock the kid today :( . I beat the first level and pretty much mastered it however I suck at the second stage. I hate it. No other level have I had to be this precise. Oh well.

shadowcomplex said:
oh great and mighty gaf members, i need your help. i am trying to use my ps3 controller to work with my PC and i tried to use motion joy but i could only get it working once. is there any other solution out there?
360 mode.

Also, go into the Motioninjoy settings and enable the controller. I have to do that each time for some reason. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

Dice

The gameboy zone in the salt factory is kicking my ass, or rather the second bandage challenge is. I can't tell you how many times I've watched him just slide off the end of those bricks instead of actually jumping off, and in the small handful of times I did manage to wall jump off the last inch to get the bandage, it shoots him out of the screen so I'm pretty bad at figuring his return speed and smash right into the buzzsaw. What an asshole place to put the bandage. :lol

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
DaBargainHunta said:
360 mode.

Also, go into the Motioninjoy settings and enable the controller. I have to do that each time for some reason. It's annoying, but it is what it is.
it won't enable i try but to no success.

Dice

blame space said:
I think I said "are you fucking kidding me" to my TV when I saw that bandage.
Save that phrase for dark world factory. Holy fucking meat shards.

Just beat the light
Cotton land.
. I was about to break the fucking controller but I finally beat it. Just didn't get an A+ in one level.

UrbanRats

Dice said:
The gameboy zone in the salt factory is kicking my ass, or rather the second bandage challenge is. I can't tell you how many times I've watched him just slide off the end of those bricks instead of actually jumping off, and in the small handful of times I did manage to wall jump off the last inch to get the bandage, it shoots him out of the screen so I'm pretty bad at figuring his return speed and smash right into the buzzsaw. What an asshole place to put the bandage. :lol
super-meat-boy-bandage-guides-for-all-worlds-2.jpg

This?

Dice

UrbanRats said:
No, the gameboy level in the salt factory.

Here:

i8ntC.jpg

...and of course while I was taking this shot I decided to try again and I got it. :lol

I wonder if there's a way to make the bandages show up if you've gotten them already. I really enjoy getting the bandages and I don't really want to start a new game.

Top Bottom