• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

So I just got A+ on every level of the light and dark worlds. I'll just say this: Fuck the cotton land. Holy shit.

I just need all bandages and will 200/200 this game. Fuck this game!

Fireblend

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
do you have all 4 warp zones unlocked and completed?
Yep. Looking around, it seems to be a common bug and can happen in any world. You beat the whole world (even the glitch level) and it's still stuck on 96%. Sucks, but it seems you can still get the 100% completion achievement, so it's only visually annoying.

So uh, I already got all bandages and beat all levels and 3 worlds are stuck on 96%. My total progress is 102% and I didn't get the 100% achievement.

This is bullshit.

Edit: I might be missing a portal in chapters 2 and 3. Any of you nice enough to point to me the portals in these chapters? Thanks

Can some Steam men of meat add me so I can fill out my friends leaderboard? I'm up to world 2 but I think I have some good times already (hopeless in getting bandages though).

My steam id is sheikh212

Sill4

toasty_T said:
Can some Steam men of meat add me so I can fill out my friends leaderboard? I'm up to world 2 but I think I have some good times already (hopeless in getting bandages though).

My steam id is sheikh212
Done.

The End's Fetus boss fight had me raging. Fuck that.

Then I got to Cotton.......

..............fuck.

Anyone have this game crash fairly often on them? I've had it happen twice within 15 minutes of playing. Microsoft Security Essentials did want me to submit the executable for evaluation when I first launched it.

El Sloth

Banned
Holy shit, I had seen pics of The Kid levels, but gotdamn. So much pain.

I'm watching I Wanna Be The Guy speedrun videos to make these levels seem less scary. That game is insane.

I played the hell out of 2-8x Grape Soda and I still can't get under 10s despite getting pretty close.

I think I winded up at rank 42 or so. I could really use a Grape soda now.

Sill4 said:
Done.

The End's Fetus boss fight had me raging. Fuck that.

Then I got to Cotton.......

..............fuck.

I found the End boss fights to be pretty easy, especially if you jump over the first line of moving saws, as then you can rush ahead, without worrying about Dr. Fetus, and you're no longer "trapped" between the two lines of saws, so you have more breathing room.

I haven't even beat the level normally. Strangely, when you get to the final switch, the first line of saws passes right through you.

UrbanRats

Ben2749 said:
I found the End boss fights to be pretty easy, especially if you jump over the first line of moving saws, as then you can rush ahead, without worrying about Dr. Fetus, and you're no longer "trapped" between the two lines of saws, so you have more breathing room.

I haven't even beat the level normally. Strangely, when you get to the final switch, the first line of saws passes right through you.
I beat the level normally (i guess), but i think the first part was ok, the second part was annoying, because of the fact that i couldn't quit when i wanted, unless i was willing to do the Dr.Fetus part from the start(at least, i guess you couldn't do that, since i didn't).

Manik

About halfway through now - Just completed the light world levels in Hell and think I've already developed early onset arthritis from gripping the pad so tightly.

The more times I die on each level, the more I'm determined to sit there until it's complete and I can sit and laugh hysterically at how it's finally done. Or the determination just builds and builds before it boils over into a huge ragequit.

And 15 minutes later, I'm back for more.

Someone else said it best when they said that when you finally nail a level you feel like a ninja. I don't think any game exemplifies this more than SMB. Truly, truly awesome :D

Now for the Dark Levels of Hell. *gulp*

Beezy

What do you guys use to get the PS3 controller working on PC? I can just use my 360 controller, but I rather use the rechargeable controller.

salva said:
Finally 200/200 this bitch. Oh my God, that was quite difficult.
Don't just 200/200. A+ every level and get every bandage. Learn true pain. :lol

Carm

Apparently I posted this in the wrong thread last night so reposting.

So, I picked up Super Meat Boy for the PC during the Steam sale going on and tried to play with my 360 wired controller. This won't do, won't do at all, any recommendations for a solid plug'n'play controller with good a d-pad and comfortable buttons that aren't hard as a rock and round?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Beezy said:
What do you guys use to get the PS3 controller working on PC? I can just use my 360 controller, but I rather use the rechargeable controller.

MotioninJoy.

The only annoying thing about it is you have to switch to analog mode and then back to 360 emulator mode every time you reboot. If you leave it in 360 emulator mode and don't switch back and forth after a reboot the controller won't be recognized.

Beezy said:

200/200 this game requires you to A+ every level so...I did!

I died over 5000 times in total. I'm never touching this game again.

Edit: by 200/200 I mean getting all the achievements for it.

epmode

Carm said:
Apparently I posted this in the wrong thread last night so reposting.

So, I picked up Super Meat Boy for the PC during the Steam sale going on and tried to play with my 360 wired controller. This won't do, won't do at all, any recommendations for a solid plug'n'play controller with good a d-pad and comfortable buttons that aren't hard as a rock and round?
Saturn USB pad! They're usually on Ebay, cheap.

I don't know if SMB has been updated to work with non 360 pads but if you run into trouble with anything else, download this to emulate the 360 pad: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Beezy

salva said:
200/200 this game requires you to A+ every level so...I did!

I died over 5000 times in total. I'm never touching this game again.

Edit: by 200/200 I mean getting all the achievements for it.
Oh ok, cool. It's possible to get 200/200 without completing every level thanks to the glitches.

Killthee said:
MotioninJoy.

The only annoying thing about it is you have to switch to analog mode and then back to 360 emulator mode every time you reboot. If you leave it in 360 emulator mode and don't switch back and forth after a reboot the controller won't be recognized.
thanks a lot

An-Det

My roommate messaged me on Steam while he was playing, and said "SUPER MEAT BOY IS HARD. YOU MONSTER". His tears as he plays it are delicious.

Killthee

Jirotrom said:
where is the list that shows your recent purchases?
Are you talking about Steam? Login and go here or click on your ID on the top right of the website and then Account details.

Gribbix

Here's a pretty interesting interview with Team Meat (Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes):
I didn’t know you did the character design for Braid.

McMillen: Yeah, I designed Tim. I actually did all of the animations for the game as well. It was a long process, though. I worked with Jon [Blow] for a year on it and did all of the animation and all of the character design. Then, once David [Hellman] came in and did all of the background stuff, Jon wanted that style to go through everything. David just painted over my sprites. It wasn’t sprites like 8-bit sprites. It looked more like a cartoony style. Not painterly.
What has the process of working with Microsoft been like?

Refenes: Working with Microsoft has been very difficult. We have fought to try to get what we were owed, not money or anything, it’s nothing like that. What we were owed as far as promotion and promises that were made and all that stuff. It’s difficult to get those. Working with Steam is amazingly easy and straightforward. There’s no headache at all. They know how to promote a sale, and they know how to treat their developers. Microsoft doesn’t do that as well. They’re kind of falling in that department. I don’t know why. They thought our game was going to do a lot worse than what it did. It’s not that our game did bad. Our game did very very well. They just didn’t expect it to do well. They expected it to be a short burst flame that just kind of went away.
Will your next game be another huge project or do you hope to do something a little quicker?

Refenes: I think our next game, we’re both kind of half and half about this,will be a smaller game on a handheld or something. Not like iPhone or anything. Just so we can develop on a new system and develop a new game. Kind of like eating the ginger between sushi entrees. Just kind of cleanse it, make a new little game, and then start on the next big one. I think development-wise we’ll approach it the same way. Regardless of the size of the game we’ll just start it and if we like it a lot it will get bigger and bigger and bigger. If we feel like we can just do it, get it out there, and be happy with a smaller game then we’ll just do that. We’re two guys and we don’t have to answer to money people. We have plenty of money once we get paid. That’s really all we need to make the next game is just comfort and time. We’ll have all of that.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Does anyone know if this will still be available for 800 microsoft points tomorrow?

Wizpig

Refenes: I think our next game, we’re both kind of half and half about this,will be a smaller game on a handheld or something. Not like iPhone or anything.
DS/3DS plz.

@K2Valor: it should be 1200 already.
"Starting today and running until December 31st"...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So now that I remapped the jump and run keys from their incredibly awkward positions I'm finally having an absolute blast with the game.
Its not as hard as I thought it would be; I just got to world 4 and there are only about three or four levels that took me more then thirty tries. But the level of control in the game is incredible, its probably 2D platformer perfection.
Don't know if its because my first platformers were played on PC, but I don't find playing with the keyboard to be problematic at all.

Nicktals

Banned
Holy crap getting The Kid was frustrating. Took me sooo long on that first level.

I agree that this game can make you feel like a ninja, but after what felt like 1000 tries, I felt more like a remedial student in a beginner's karate class.

Nicktals

Banned
Oh, also...My hands are hating me today because of a marathon session yesterday.

Also, I'm new to the 360...Still have 0 friends. If anyone recognizes me from here, or just wants to add some decent people...My gamertag is Nicktals. Interested to see all the friend inegration the 360 can offer. Sounds pretty cool for SMB.

TheOGB

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
So now that I remapped the jump and run keys from their incredibly awkward positions I'm finally having an absolute blast with the game.
Its not as hard as I thought it would be; I just got to world 4 and there are only about three or four levels that took me more then thirty tries. But the level of control in the game is incredible, its probably 2D platformer perfection.
Don't know if its because my first platformers were played on PC, but I don't find playing with the keyboard to be problematic at all.
HOWWWWW

Killthee

TheOGB said:
There's a config file (buttonmap.cfg) under the installation folder you can edit to modify the keys. Open it with notepad, edit, and save the file. You can only modify a few keys cause most of the keys are hardcoded into the game.

TheOGB

Banned
Killthee said:
There's a config file (buttonmap.cfg) under the installation folder you can edit to modify the keys. Open it with notepad, edit, and save the file. You can only modify a few keys cause most of the keys are hardcoded into the game.
oh my god thank you so much

Carm said:
Alright, looking over Ebay for that Saturn usb pad, how the hell am I suppose to know which ones are legit and which are knockoffs? Seems all, or most are out of china heh.

Like this one, good price but is it legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Original-SE...pt=US_Vintage_Video_Games&hash=item5ade152d63

That D-pad on the Neo Geo pad looks nice, but man that's a pricey controller.

see that sticker on the back that says SLS, that's how you know its legit. Thats also the same color scheme I got for mine

Draft

I'm probably just being a homer (and sitting closer) but WOW this game looks much more detailed @1080p on my PC than it does on the Xbox.

Like, I can now see those waterfalls in the hospital are old syringes. I used to think they were just scrap metal or something :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
salva said:
The thing with this game is that the more you play it the better you get at wall jumping.
And jumping through tiny gaps between buzzsaws. I remember a few bandages and A+ runs I was trying for had me blazing through some crazy stuff in their levels and I thought to myself "hey... didn't this stuff used to be hard? buzzsaws! lol!"

Top Bottom