• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Nabs

Dice said:
And now I will interpret the language of level design. A message from Team Meat:

nHbyg.png

This level doesn't scare me anymore!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's not my wrists, but my palms and the joins of my middle and ring fingers. I just end up gripping the controller way too tight and I can't help myself. An arcade stick would be a dream.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That is hilarious but I can't keep watching after killing so much bandwidth via Steam sale. I'm not even watching korean shows now.

Wallach

Sgt.Pepper said:
Wallach is amazing. How the hell does he get 7.78 in 2-8 and 7.45 in 2-15? :lol

Fueled by rage and practice. Mostly rage.

That's mostly all I enjoy about the game though, doing levels fast. I don't know if I'll ever bother with the bandages and stuff.

Wallach said:
Fueled by rage and practice. Mostly rage.

That's mostly all I enjoy about the game though, doing levels fast. I don't know if I'll ever bother with the bandages and stuff.
Still, very impressive records. It motivates me to go for my highest record so I don't end up raging. :lol

Platy

I just want to say that in my pc, Super Meat Boy is praticaly unplayable in maps with rotating saws.

But plays Portal perfectly... and this don't make any sense =P

An-Det

Fucking hell, The Kid level 2 is damn impossible. The first was difficult but doable, the second I just can't get. The third elevator (going down) is evil, I can't get the timing for it at all.

I wish I had taken note of how many deaths I had before starting The Kid, because it's going to be really high after I'm done.

Wallach

An-Det said:
Fucking hell, The Kid level 2 is damn impossible. The first was difficult but doable, the second I just can't get. The third elevator (going down) is evil, I can't get the timing for it at all.

I wish I had taken note of how many deaths I had before starting The Kid, because it's going to be really high after I'm done.

I died more times on that exact elevator thing than anything else in those levels. Literally the first and only time I got past it I cleared the level.

Chavelo

I got a request... can anyone who plays SMB with an arcade stick post their impressions? Wanna see if there's any pros and cons between a stick and an Xbox 360 pad. :-3

An-Det

Wallach said:
I died more times on that exact elevator thing than anything else in those levels. Literally the first and only time I got past it I cleared the level.

Yeah, that elevator was cruel. I finally beat it now. The third level doesn't seem horrible, but my hands are so tired now. :lol

El Sloth

Banned
salva said:
I'm about to break the fucking controller. Darkworld levels are just raping hard.
The fucking truth. I don't rage though, well not against the game anyways. I always feel like a moron when I keep fucking up something I know I can do.

This game is still so much fun. Unlocking stuff, the insane places they put bandages, and all the retro stuff is really fun and cool. Gatdamn is it hard though.

Teh Internets section where you can use Gish is frustrating as all hell though.

Sgt.Pepper said:
That bandage in 2-18. That has to be impossible with Meat Boy. I mean, what?
Naw, it's very possible. Just have to be really patient with the lasers and then the rest is pie.

W Hudson

OK so I finally got to the Kid's warp zone, thanks to this thread I was familiar with its exceedingly high degree of difficulty, but my question is just how useful is he as a character? If you really need him I will likely go ahead and complete his level now, if not I will probably wait until later. Gave it about 10 attempts, could only get about 1/2 through the first level. Seems like a bitch to do.

W Hudson said:
OK so I finally got to the Kid's warp zone, thanks to this thread I was familiar with its exceedingly high degree of difficulty, but my question is just how useful is he as a character? If you really need him I will likely go ahead and complete his level now, if not I will probably wait until later. Gave it about 10 attempts, could only get about 1/2 through the first level. Seems like a bitch to do.
I exclusively use Meat Boy and The Kid :lol. He definitely makes some specific levels much easier.

W Hudson

salva said:
How do you unlock the kid?

You have to first unlock his warp zone in chapter 5, then beat 3 levels of pretty insane difficulty. See post 3702 for a picture of the first level in his warp.

W Hudson

darkpaladinmfc said:
I exclusively use Meat Boy and The Kid :lol. He definitely makes some specific levels much easier.

Thanks for the response. Although I was hoping to get a bunch of "he's useless" responses so I could just go back later. :D

Gestahl

W Hudson said:

The other guy is basically correct in that Kid and Meat Boy are head and shoulders above the other basic characters, but I found some appreciation for Naija in a couple of levels. I was able to bypass a huge chunk of one of the Rapture Dark World levels with her, and probably saved me a fair bit of grief from having to deal with those face chomper monstrosities.

Finally got Golden Boy and the 100 bandage character today. Only achievements left are the Ironman attempts, and there is no way in hell I'm going through all of those.

Elixist

Chavelo said:
I got a request... can anyone who plays SMB with an arcade stick post their impressions? Wanna see if there's any pros and cons between a stick and an Xbox 360 pad. :-3

Probably been mentioned ,but the game plays perfectly with stick. I got the SF4 cheapo sticks and it plays like a dream. The actual joystick part on these SF4's is supposed to be good quality and it feels like it, very responsive and satisfying. The actual buttons are a little mushy but responsive. As for pros and cons I had played to the fifth world on 360 analog when my sticks arrived and it took me about half hour to get used to stick and its a little more snappy and precise for movement imo. Big buttons on the stick are funner to press too. So if your thinkin of jumpin on a stick for this i fully recommend the madcatz SF4 edition stick as its improved the game for me.

edit: this is the sticks that I got that were recommended to me for entry level in the stick thread here on gaf, price wnet up about 30 bucks since christmas tho: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M22VCU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 , I've enjoyed them alot and its made for some intense matches with my bro of SSF4

An-Det

I finally beat level 3 and unlocked The Kid. With the effort I put into that, I'm tempted to put it onto my resume. I just checked my death count, it's at 4006; I think it was just over 2000 before I started these three levels. :lol

I started drinking sometime during the second level, and around a half hour into level 3 I'm a bit tired as well. The moving spike walls were getting blurry and started looking like this. Needless to say I'm glad I beat it.

2unvnd2.jpg

Anth0ny

So I just finally downloaded this shit.

and I'm fucking hooked after one world. Can't put the controller down. Good lord this is amazing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AppleMIX said:
Well the I wanna be the guy levels certainly live up to its pedigree.
not really. The spikes don't shoot out of the walls

also, someone showed this to me:

sYPo7.jpg

:lol

Cohsae

GaimeGuy said:
not really. The spikes don't shoot out of the walls
Oh god can you imagine if you got to the end of the first stage and a spike/apple/zangief flew out of nowhere and killed you?
Broken controllers everywhere.

GaimeGuy

Cohsae said:
Oh god can you imagine if you got to the end of the first stage and a spike/apple/zangief flew out of nowhere and killed you?
Broken controllers everywhere.
I have a feeling that the patch which adds the levels being designed by Michael O'Reilly might incorporate some of of these "features" :lol :(

Fireblend

Banned
Loving this game so much :lol 100%'d The Hospital yesterday and now I'm at 92% with The Salt Factory, I think I'm missing some bandages and a warp zone(?).

Edit: wait, I'm pretty sure The Salt Factory should be 100% (got all As, all bandages)... why is it stuck on 96%?

GaimeGuy

Fireblend said:
Loving this game so much :lol 100%'d The Hospital yesterday and now I'm at 92% with The Salt Factory, I think I'm missing some bandages and a warp zone(?).

Edit: wait, I'm pretty sure The Salt Factory should be 100% (got all As, all bandages)... why is it stuck on 96%?

do you have all 4 warp zones unlocked and completed?

Ultimatum

Banned
Does anybody know how to stop the game crashing? It says something about dumping the data (I only remember because it says hehehe after the word dump :lol ). It seems to occur more when I play the boss level at the end of chapter two (I can't finish the level before it crashes...). Really annoying...

Monocle

W Hudson said:
Thanks for the response. Although I was hoping to get a bunch of "he's useless" responses so I could just go back later. :D
Hate to admit it, but I might even prefer the The Kid to Meat Boy, which would make him my favorite character in the game. He's a bit slow compared to Meaty, but god DAMN is his double jump useful! A godsend for grabbing bandages. A miracle in any level with a lot of hazards. In short, definitely worth the agonizing effort to unlock. And I say this as an unworthy cur who took 8+ hours to do it.

Monocle

darkpaladinmfc said:
I feel lucky for getting The Kid in about an hour. Maybe in 10 years or something I'll try again :lol.
I'm condemned to at least one more run to repay the friend who spent a long time trying (and for all that effort, failing) to get me through The Kid's second and third levels. I tell you, those three labyrinths of torment encapsulate some of the best gameplay to be found anywhere. Absurdly unforgiving, but brilliant. There's nothing like that "in the zone" feeling you get after spending twenty minutes or so in a state of heightened concentration trying to clear one of The Kid's levels.

Pyrokai

So is this game still on sale on XBLA? I don't have my Xbox connected to the Internet because it's really difficult for me to do so (far away from a router and don't feel like running a cable through my house) but I really want this game. And with the cancellation of the WiiWare version (crosses fingers for retail), I guess I have to get this on XBLA.

Couple questions though:

1. Does this game use the 360 control stick or the D-pad (or both) for movement? I don't like the D-pad on the 360, but I was wondering if using the control stick is comfortable.

2. I could potentially also get it on Steam, but I have a Mac. Yes, I know that a Mac version is coming so that's good and all, but I don't know how to connect a, say, PS controller to a Mac. I'm not asking on advice on how to do it, I just want to know if it's difficult or not. I just don't want to play with the keyboard for a platformer.

3. Yes, I was hoping to use the Classic Controller for this game :p

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Pyrokai said:
So is this game still on sale on XBLA? I don't have my Xbox connected to the Internet because it's really difficult for me to do so (far away from a router and don't feel like running a cable through my house) but I really want this game. And with the cancellation of the WiiWare version (crosses fingers for retail), I guess I have to get this on XBLA.

Couple questions though:

1. Does this game use the 360 control stick or the D-pad (or both) for movement? I don't like the D-pad on the 360, but I was wondering if using the control stick is comfortable.

2. I could potentially also get it on Steam, but I have a Mac. Yes, I know that a Mac version is coming so that's good and all, but I don't know how to connect a, say, PS controller to a Mac. I'm not asking on advice on how to do it, I just want to know if it's difficult or not. I just don't want to play with the keyboard for a platformer.

3. Yes, I was hoping to use the Classic Controller for this game :p
You can buy it through http://www.xbox.com/.

The game works better on the analog stick, same as N+ did.

epmode

Princess Skittles said:
You can buy it through http://www.xbox.com/.

The game works better on the analog stick, same as N+ did.
That's because the 360 pad has one of the worst dpads in existence. SMB works really well with a Saturn pad!

edit: Oh, this is about the console version. Analog is fine I guess.

Top Bottom