• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Nicktals

Banned
Man...this game. Was going through worlds 6 and 7...thought i had played for an hour...it had been 4.

ridiculous. Really looking to add some friends who have played this game...brand new to 360. Will probably be playing a LOT of XBLA games...GT is Nicktals.

Meadows

Banned
I'll start off by saying I'm a console playing peasant so excuse me for any ignorance here on forward.

I bought Super Meat Boy off Steam and whenever I try to run it I get a Runtime error. I googled it and got directed to update my DirectX but that didn't do anything (yes, I've restarted my laptop).

Any ideas?

Meadows

Banned
Nabs said:
you should probably start by letting us know what kind of system you're on

Toshiba Satellite P300, Windows Vista. Anything else?

And yeah, try not to be too short with me because I rarely play games anymore as it is and this is my first foray into it for a while. (about two years since I last played a serious PC game).

Wallach

Meadows said:
Toshiba Satellite P300, Windows Vista. Anything else?

And yeah, try not to be too short with me because I rarely play games anymore as it is and this is my first foray into it for a while. (about two years since I last played a serious PC game).

First try to just verify the installation. Right-click Super Meat Boy in your Games list -> Properties -> Local Files tab -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. See if any files fail verification; if so Steam will automatically start downloading anything it needs to replace. After those finish downloading try running the game again.

Meadows

Banned
Wallach said:
First try to just verify the installation. Right-click Super Meat Boy in your Games list -> Properties -> Local Files tab -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. See if any files fail verification; if so Steam will automatically start downloading anything it needs to replace. After those finish downloading try running the game again.

Ok, just done that and it said that 1 file needed to be re-downloaded. Did it and then tried to run it and it failed. Anything else up your sleeves?

EDIT: I keep verifying integrity and it keeps saying one file failed and needs to be downloaded. Downloads it, and then fails on start up.

Nessus

I had to download a 360 gamepad driver to get it working on PC. The game wouldn't start otherwise, it'd just look like it was launching, my status would go green like I was in a game, then it'd just go blue again.

Wallach

Meadows said:
Ok, just done that and it said that 1 file needed to be re-downloaded. Did it and then tried to run it and it failed. Anything else up your sleeves?

EDIT: I keep verifying integrity and it keeps saying one file failed and needs to be downloaded. Downloads it, and then fails on start up.

Try updating DX and VC through the provided packages in the Super Meat Boy -> Prerequisites folder (DXSETUP.exe and vcredist_x86.exe). So with a Steam install that is generally something like C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\super meat boy\Prerequisites.

Meadows

Banned
Wallach said:
Try updating DX and VC through the provided packages in the Super Meat Boy -> Prerequisites folder (DXSETUP.exe and vcredist_x86.exe). So with a Steam install that is generally something like C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\super meat boy\Prerequisites.

Nope, not working. Thanks again for the help so far.

Fox318

Nessus said:
I had to download a 360 gamepad driver to get it working on PC. The game wouldn't start otherwise, it'd just look like it was launching, my status would go green like I was in a game, then it'd just go blue again.
Thats odd I haven't had that problem.

Wallach

Meadows said:
Nope, not working. Thanks again for the help so far.

Have you tried changing the launch options to see if it is only the default settings crashing you?

Right click Super Meat Boy in Games list -> Properties -> Set Launch Options and paste this in the line:

-windowed -640x480 -lowdetail

Meadows

Banned
Wallach said:
Have you tried changing the launch options to see if it is only the default settings crashing you?

Right click Super Meat Boy in Games list -> Properties -> Set Launch Options and paste this in the line:

-windowed -640x480 -lowdetail

hi.jpg

YES! Thanks mate, appreciate it. Happy new year to ya

Wallach

Meadows said:
http://thenextweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hi.jpg

YES! Thanks mate, appreciate it. Happy new year to ya

Good to hear it's running at least, even if not fullscreen. Just as a heads up the settings we used there can be modified:

-windowed
-fullscreen

-640x480
-800x600
-1024x768

-lowdetail
-meddetail
-highdetail

You might be able to get the game to look a little better without crashing by bumping up to 1024x768 and increasing the detail, and you can just switch back if you set one that causes the crashing again. Unfortunately I'm not sure what's causing your crash at default settings; someone mentioned a missing XInput file causing their crash, so you could look into that if you want to try and still track down that issue.

This games is really more fun than I could have anticipated, and it feels even better to play after a frustrating session of Gran Turismo 5. :)

oatmeal

Banned
Got it today, played through the first world and finsihed the first world's Retro zone or whatever.

Addicting so far. Shit.

fresquito

I'm going slowly through this. I love it, but in short spurs. Today while playing in Hell and beating a stage, I got a message saying I unlocked something that wasn't previously unlocked. It was like a big angry red ball. And it's not a character, it's not a new world and I don't really know what it is.

Anyway, I've unlocked some characters, but I always play as a piece of super meat. Cool.

Vlad

fresquito said:
I'm going slowly through this. I love it, but in short spurs. Today while playing in Hell and beating a stage, I got a message saying I unlocked something that wasn't previously unlocked. It was like a big angry red ball. And it's not a character, it's not a new world and I don't really know what it is.

Anyway, I've unlocked some characters, but I always play as a piece of super meat. Cool.

Ah, that reminds me, I've gotta look up what the heck that unlock was. I think I got it at 20 bandages, and it said something like "You have unlocked something locked".

Smash88

Banned
Just beat Super Meat Boy + Cotton Alley. Awesome, Awesome stuff.

Now to go back, get all the bandages, warpzones, and last but not least THE DARK WORLD!

Maybe...maybe if I am in the mood the no death runs, but I doubt it. :lol

GWX

Vlad said:
Ah, that reminds me, I've gotta look up what the heck that unlock was. I think I got it at 20 bandages, and it said something like "You have unlocked something locked".

Super Meat World, coming later this month.

WEGGLES

Dacvak said:
Super Meat Boy two-disc soundtrack available now: http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/album/super-meat-boy-double-cd-special-edition-soundtrack

Linked on Reddit, if that's your thing.

I've got a buddy who's on this soundtrack. I bought the download-only one (as well as this one), and it's pretty solid.
Love the comment on Reddit pointing out the album arts reference....

As though Pink Floyd is some obscure band.

Also: between sales and shit. I got the CD of the soundtrack and the game for less than the cost of the game its self. :D

MoFuzz

Pink Floyd Album cover is awesome!

There is a little dot that is to the left of chapter 1 on the world map, what is it and how do I unlock/access it?

Playing Steam/PC version if that matters.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
MoFuzz said:
Pink Floyd Album cover is awesome!

There is a little dot that is to the left of chapter 1 on the world map, what is it and how do I unlock/access it?

Playing Steam/PC version if that matters.

That's related to the Level Editor maps, which are coming soon. I think that's what you unlock when you get 20 bandages and it puts up the creepy message, 'cause Teh Internets unlocks at 20 bandages on the XBox version.

MoFuzz

Charron said:
That's related to the Level Editor maps, which are coming soon. I think that's what you unlock when you get 20 bandages and it puts up the creepy message, 'cause Teh Internets unlocks at 20 bandages on the XBox version.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Unlocking every little thing in this game has become my obsession. 0_o

User33 said:
Does anybody have any tips for
4 Letter Word?
. Last light level I have to beat.

that's the last Cotton Alley one right?

just keep hammering away at it, I had the most trouble at the very top making those jumps over the small saws in the floor against a low ceiling, just had to dial in the timing for that, the rest of the level isn't bad once you get the right touch for each jump

once you get the timing down for everything you should be able to be constantly moving throughout the level only really stopping at the part where the blade bounces diagonally to allow it to bounce up over you

Smash88

Banned
I played this game for 14 hours straight. I'm dead tired, and going to bed.

I beat the game using only Meatboy (99%). The Kid I used to only reach bandages on levels where you need double jump.

supermeatboy.jpg

All Dark and Light levels, Warpzones... I also finished The Guy from IWBTG in under 35 minutes. I found it easy, don't know why everyone is having a hard time getting him.

All that is left is the finishing of levels without dying. Which is easy with Minecraft Guy or Captain Viridian. Or I could unlock is using the SAM Manager.

Anyways I'm off to bed!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
We have a cyborg among us. He may not know what he is, so nobody tell him.

Carm

epmode said:
Saturn USB pad! They're usually on Ebay, cheap.

I don't know if SMB has been updated to work with non 360 pads but if you run into trouble with anything else, download this to emulate the 360 pad: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Follow up on the controller. I finally got my saturn controller in the mail today but I have a question. When you shake the controller should the buttons rattle? Doesn't happen with my 360 controller and I want to make sure this one is fine. It seems to play fine though. D-pad is night and day from 360 one.

Kweh

Thought I'd attempt to do some more Dark World levels today, but I've gotten a new 360 since I last played it and my save game doesn't work.

0%

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Kweh said:
Thought I'd attempt to do some more Dark World levels today, but I've gotten a new 360 since I last played it and my save game doesn't work.

0%

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Oh shit... I've not tried mine since I got the new console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Go on then GAF, i'll bite and blind buy this. But first you must answer me these riddles...

I don't have a 360, so - Mac or PC? Is it gentle on the specs required (have a core u2/intel IGP laptop). Finally, playable on keyboard or does it really need a controller? If so, what's best? I have a wiimote or PS3 controller available, or I could go out and buy something - 360 PC pad or something else?

Vlad

mrklaw said:
Go on then GAF, i'll bite and blind buy this. But first you must answer me these riddles...

I don't have a 360, so - Mac or PC? Is it gentle on the specs required (have a core u2/intel IGP laptop). Finally, playable on keyboard or does it really need a controller? If so, what's best? I have a wiimote or PS3 controller available, or I could go out and buy something - 360 PC pad or something else?

I have no idea how the specs are for the game, but I know it runs perfectly fine on my near-3-year-old laptop.

For controls, the game will recommend (every single time you run it, actually) that you play it with a gamepad, but I haven't had any issues with my laptop keyboard, yet. The only problems I've encountered have stemmed more from the game's design than anything else. There's no in-game way to reconfigure the keys (you have to edit a text file) and remapping the keys only works for gameplay. Menus are still controlled by the default keys, so the experience can be a little awkward when you're (for example) using z/x to control the game, but have to switch to shift/space when dealing with menus. Nothing dealbreaking, though.

Helmholtz

mrklaw said:

I highly recommend a controller. I use a wired 360 one and it works perfectly, but you can also use a PS3 one if you download motionjoy.

UrbanRats

mrklaw said:

You don't have to choose, AFAIK.

I think I've hit the wall where the game isn't fun for me anymore.

I mean, I loved the ride until now, and it's not a matter of being too difficult. I am sure with enough time and patience I can get through the rest of the dark world stuff. I'm just not having fun doing it, so I'm done.

Still the best controlling platformer since Mega Man Zero 2.

mrklaw said:

If you buy it on steam you get free access to both versions.

Top Bottom