• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Tunavi said:
Mac version was supposed to be out in January, along with the level editor. I don't want to get too demanding and I don't want them to rush it, but its really taking longer than I had hoped.

Pretty much. I've given up on waiting in anticipation and now I am just waiting.

I have way too many deaths. 75% done (100% light, 50% dark world) and I'm at 12000 deaths. Someday I'll get the Golden God achievement I promise!

jintek

Banned
^Don't feel bad man! I'm at about 15,000 deaths on my XBLA version (after Expert Remix and all other DLC), and at about 12,000 on my Steam version...both 106% plus glitch levels completed.

Dark Cotton Alley, Dark Rapture. Kid, and a few Remixed levels were indescribably difficult to master. And even though it's not the hardest 2D platformer I've played, it's def my favorite of the masocore genre.

jintek

Banned
Need to do the mandatory brag.

I just unlocked Girl Boy (beat Cotton Alley Light World without dying), and Zombie Boy (beat Rapture Dark World without dying)!!! It was INSANE! I'm talking non-stop playing for hours everyday, Steam hours played went from 64 to 87.

It feels good, very good! :)

Now onto Dr. Fetus Boy and Impossible Boy. And my Sega Saturn USB 2004 model is still holding up quite nicely.

jintek said:
And even though it's not the hardest 2D platformer I've played, it's def my favorite of the masocore genre.

Maybe because Super Meat Boy is hard for the right reasons. Most masochist games put difficulty over gameplay, as the ultimate design goal is to be as difficult as possible while still being possible to beat. Super Meat Boy is about being as difficult as possible while still being fair and fun.

jintek

Banned
Ben2749 said:
Maybe because Super Meat Boy is hard for the right reasons. Most masochist games put difficulty over gameplay, as the ultimate design goal is to be as difficult as possible while still being possible to beat. Super Meat Boy is about being as difficult as possible while still being fair and fun.

I'd agree w/ that, which is why it's pretty much my favorite up there w/ Mega Man 2/9. Super Ghouls and Ghosts was certainly harder than SMB, but required just as much skill/memorization from a different direction, same goes for MM. I actually think DKCR borders on masochist too at times. Battletoads can simply fuck off, never again...that game actually made me cry tears as a kid... :(

But anyway, I agree Super Meat Boy is usually pretty fair and up there with DKCR for the best 2D platformers this gen.

I really like DKCR, but I actually think the difficulty hurts it, as it has a lives system, and the levels are longer/the gap between checkpoints can be too long. Difficulty becomes a bad thing when the penalty for failure is too large of an inconvenience. It's not an issue prevalent throught the whole game, but it certainly becomes an issue in later stages, and particularly in the K-levels, where there are no checkpoints at all, and if you want to use Diddy, you have to start up another level to get him first, and then quit out (which is a piss-poor design choice; *every* level should have a DK barrel right at the start, as far as I'm concerned).

Oh, and then there's the
Mirror Mode
you unlock when you beat the game, which takes the game well into the "bad" masochistic territory.
No Diddy Kong, no items, and only one unit of health, meaning touching anything results in death.
That shit isn't fun.

jintek

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I really like DKCR, but I actually think the difficulty hurts it, as it has a lives system, and the levels are longer/the gap between checkpoints can be too long. Difficulty becomes a bad thing when the penalty is too large of an inconvenience. It's not an issue prevalent throught the whole game, but it certainly becomes an issue in later stages, and particularly in the K-levels, where there are no checkpoints at all, and if you want to use Diddy, you have to start up another level to get him first, and then quit out (which is a piss-poor design choice; *every* level should have a DK barrel right at the start, as far as I'm concerned).

Oh, and then there's the
Mirror Mode
you unlock when you beat the game, which takes the game well into the "bad" masochistic territory.
No Diddy Kong, no items, and only one unit of health, meaning touching anything results in death.
That shit isn't fun.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I did think the respawn transition was handled quite nicely in DKCR, it made the constant deaths a bit more bearable. And I actually think (if Retro does a sequel) they should take hints from Meat Boy's controls and implement them into Diddy, so there's a big difference between DK and him...and would also make using each one to find secrets even better. The "bonus rooms" could also take a hint from Meat Boy, I'd rather real short challenging one-screen levels than banana collecting...

All in all, after I did complete the game on
Mirror Mode
, I think in a lot of ways DKCR is harder than SMB, there's more depth and mastery in controlling DK's weight and rhythm. And I'm still working on my Time Attacks. Only real complaint from me, other than the BRUTAL difficulty repeating long K levels in MM, would be the loading screens. Retro found a way to mask that in MP, so hopefully they can implement a "Bayonetta-type loading activity" to make the transition better. Something Meat Boy did very well with, aside from the obligatory cutscene entering any map...

expert4.jpg

Yeah so I finally got to this today. Heres the rundown of my emotions.

1. Hey cool, that thing I saw on GAF awhile back, yay!
2. Oh man, this is pretty tough.
3. Well hey, just like any of the other hard ones I've done so far, if I sit here long enough, I'll get it.
4. GRRR
5. Contemplates throwing controller against wall, tv or the nearest human skull I can find.
6. Smoke break.
7. Ok lets do this.
8. NO.
9. Not only NO, but FUCK NO.
10. FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Exuro

I finally got that level down. It's the second one I'm having a pain in. Going up and down the elevator is almost impossible for me. I've gotten through the first part a few times but then I always screw up on the second half.

EDIT: Thought that was the IWTBTG level. Where is that level?

oatmeal

Banned
Browns Town said:
expert4.jpg

Yeah so I finally got to this today. Heres the rundown of my emotions.

1. Hey cool, that thing I saw on GAF awhile back, yay!
2. Oh man, this is pretty tough.
3. Well hey, just like any of the other hard ones I've done so far, if I sit here long enough, I'll get it.
4. GRRR
5. Contemplates throwing controller against wall, tv or the nearest human skull I can find.
6. Smoke break.
7. Ok lets do this.
8. NO.
9. Not only NO, but FUCK NO.
10. FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Took me about...3 hours to finish it.

And then there's two more after that.

Nicktals

Banned
It was funny that I finally had to get used to releasing the run button in order to master super meat boy's version of the kid's level. I never strategically used it much, but getting used to actually letting go of run made that level much easier for me.

oatmeal said:
Took me about...3 hours to finish it.

And then there's two more after that.
Wow let me suck your dick! Fuck that level, and the last level. I'm never going back to finish that game.

Proud to be small time.

jintek

Banned
For me that level was easier w/ Meat Boy... o_O

That said, it probably took me well over 500-1000 tries to do w/ The Kid, so I was used to it. And I'm much better with Meat Boy in general.

I need help. :-(

I got a new PC last week, and I've bought and installed Super Meat Boy, as I wanted a reason to play through it again.

However, I'm having issues with slowdown, even though the computer I got is supposedly pretty good, and I would have thought it would be more than adequate for playing a game like SMB. Unfortunately, I know jack about computer specs and such, so I was wondering if any of you guys could take a look and let me know what you think?

Acer Aspire M5300

Processor:
- AMD Phenom™ II X6 1035T Processor
- 2.6 GHz (up to 3.1 GHz with Turbo Core technology)
- 2.0 GHz HT (4000 MT/s)
- 6MB L3 cache

Operating System:
- Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM:
- 4GB installed DDR3 RAM (1333 MHz)
- 8GB maximum RAM capacity

Graphics card:
- ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Graphics
- 512MB dedicated video memory

Hard drive:
- 1TB SATA 5400rpm

Optical disk drive:
- DVD Rewriter

Memory card reader:
- Yes

USB:
- 8 x USB 2.0 ports

FireWire:
- No

Modem/Ethernet:
- 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port

Wi-Fi:
- 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Bluetooth:
- No

Video interface:
- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x VGA
- TV output
- 1 x HDMI (digital video/audio)
- 1 x VGA (analogue video)

Extension card slot:
- 1x PCI
- 1x PCI-E x16

Sound:
- Onboard soundcard

Software included:
- Microsoft® Office 2007 Trial with Microsoft® Works
- Acer Arcade™ Deluxe
- Acer eRecovery Management
- McAfee® Internet Security Suite 2009 Trial
- MyWinLocker®

I tried in full-screen, and I think I had the same issue in a window, but most of the time when I try changing the resolution/window settings, I get an error message saying that a mini-dump has been sent off, or something.

I've just this second uninstalled it, and I'm now reinstalling.

jintek

Banned
Force V-Sync (wait for vertical refresh) in your ATI Control Center, close out ALL background apps, or make exclusions for Steam/SuperMeatBoy.exe in your firewall/AV. You could also try enabling Triple Buffering in your video card's option.

Once that is done try running the game at 1280x720 resolution.

See if that helps your slowdown.

Also, if you are getting the mini-dump on boot, try and reinstall the newset DirectX webinstaller drivers. ;)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ben2749 said:
I tried in full-screen, and I think I had the same issue in a window, but most of the time when I try changing the resolution/window settings, I get an error message saying that a mini-dump has been sent off, or something.

I've just this second uninstalled it, and I'm now reinstalling.

I get bad framerates when running in a window, but it runs flawlessly when full screen.

jintek said:
Force V-Sync (wait for vertical refresh) in your ATI Control Center, close out ALL background apps, or make exclusions for Steam/SuperMeatBoy.exe in your firewall/AV. You could also try enabling Triple Buffering in your video card's option.

Once that is done try running the game at 1280x720 resolution.

See if that helps your slowdown.

Also, if you are getting the mini-dump on boot, try and reinstall the newset DirectX webinstaller drivers. ;)

I don't know what you just said, so I'm going to assume you're swearing at me in some foreign language. That's just uncalled for.

Seriously though, closing down all other apps and allowing SMB in my firewall didn't make any difference. And I wouldn't know how to go about the other things you mentioned.

That said, I found that right clicking SMB in Steam, going to Preferences, and entering "-lowdetail" and "-windowed" in the Launch Options window has helped a lot. It would be nice to be able to play full screen, and in maximum detail, but it's not a huge deal, especially in a game with SMB's visuals.

The game did crash on me about an hour or so ago though, and gave me an error message (I forget what it was, but it wasn't the DirectX one; I had that a couple of times when fiddling with some settings). But I haven't had that again since, so I'm hoping it was a one-off.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

Oh, and how do I back up my save data? When I was fiddling with the resolution options earlier, I found that certain ones would cause the game to crash, and when I closed the game and opened it again, it would try and start up the game in the resolution I had changed it to, which again caused an immediate crash. The only way around it was to delete the file with my save data, but of course that meant I lost all progress. I don't want this happening again if I decide to try and change the resolution.

On another note, I just unlocked something, and I thought it was Teh Internets, as it was a red "planet" with a Forever Alone face. It made me laugh, but it seems it wasn't Teh Internets, as that's still locked. Anybody know what that was?

Tunavi said:

I can't fucking wait for the Level Editor to hit. Since I just got the PC version, the wait hasn't bothered me, but I sure hope it comes soon.

I got Little Big Planet 2 recently, and while I enjoy the creativity/sharing aspect, the controls and physics are so awful, it made me pine for the Super Meat Boy level editor.

SmokyDave

I was loving this game until I hit world 7 and took a break for a while. A month or so has passed and now every time I fire it up the game seems fucking brutal and it puts me off.

Still, best soundtrack I've heard in a long, long time.

Statistics (XBLA) (roughly since I don't feel like turning on my console)

Rank (Time): 681 (~3900 seconds)
Deaths ~18,000 (I let lots of my friends play)

Total Progress: 103%

Light World: 100%

Dark World: 100%

I am now in the Golden God Club

My thumb is killing me but..

eQRQJ.jpg

Wool

I just got Steam, and this is the first game I got for it. Very impressed so far, it's great to be back to PC gaming!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Ben2749 said:
I don't know what you just said, so I'm going to assume you're swearing at me in some foreign language. That's just uncalled for.

Seriously though, closing down all other apps and allowing SMB in my firewall didn't make any difference. And I wouldn't know how to go about the other things you mentioned.

That said, I found that right clicking SMB in Steam, going to Preferences, and entering "-lowdetail" and "-windowed" in the Launch Options window has helped a lot. It would be nice to be able to play full screen, and in maximum detail, but it's not a huge deal, especially in a game with SMB's visuals.

The game did crash on me about an hour or so ago though, and gave me an error message (I forget what it was, but it wasn't the DirectX one; I had that a couple of times when fiddling with some settings). But I haven't had that again since, so I'm hoping it was a one-off.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

Oh, and how do I back up my save data? When I was fiddling with the resolution options earlier, I found that certain ones would cause the game to crash, and when I closed the game and opened it again, it would try and start up the game in the resolution I had changed it to, which again caused an immediate crash. The only way around it was to delete the file with my save data, but of course that meant I lost all progress. I don't want this happening again if I decide to try and change the resolution.

On another note, I just unlocked something, and I thought it was Teh Internets, as it was a red "planet" with a Forever Alone face. It made me laugh, but it seems it wasn't Teh Internets, as that's still locked. Anybody know what that was?

In bios make sure "cool and quiet" is disabled.

jintek said:
For me that level was easier w/ Meat Boy... o_O

That said, it probably took me well over 500-1000 tries to do w/ The Kid, so I was used to it. And I'm much better with Meat Boy in general.
Must have been a crazy replay.

jintek

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Must have been a crazy replay.

If I could have viewed/saved the original replay I would have, unfortunately none of the warp zones offer you replays... You'd think if there was one replay to have, it'd be the Kid warp zone, but go figure.

And I've actually now completely the Kid's warp zone three times (both my Steam accounts, and on my 360), so my full death toll in those is probably insane. But you do really feel like you've been through the ringer after completing that.

...and my game crashed once while I was on the Kid's 3rd level!!!

As for the level editor, to be honest I don't even care anymore it's like DNF at this point. We can still use devmode for those who really want to make levels. I'm much more excited for the level portal actually.

saunderez

After a long hiatus I finally beat The Lament of Larry and the first level of The End. Such a rewarding feeling to complete each and every level at this end of the game. I'm not usually a masochistic gamer, I tend to throw in the towel when things get tough and take a break, but this game I'll easily have 100 attempts at a level before even thinking about it.

Hixx

Finally finished the story mode. Can't remember why I stopped, the level I loaded up I did in 3 goes... anyway the last world, apart from maybe the boss was surprisingly easy. And then the boss was essentially trial and error. Loved it though; completed the 'last' level just as Monkey Island 2: SE finished downloading but decided to have a go at Cotton Alley. Level 3 gave me a headache, so many things to watch...

Top Bottom