• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

ajjow

My 1st time playing this.

A revolutionary game with poor controls. It really feels like otheM though. You can easily see the influence of the directpr.

I wish gameplay was by myamoto.

Anyway, enjoying and almost over.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well it took me 8 hours, but I finally completed the game with 100% items for the first time ever! :D

BLIURgICcAIEmaz.jpg

Sanic

Lol, but really, all I personally was thinking about during the end of Super Metroid was how Other M felt like something that took the story thread full circle. I was seriously thinking "why doesn't Samus care about the baby?" or "what are her thoughts on the events that had just transpired?" Other M answered those questions for me.

I'm serious.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm at around 90% items...missing 1 Energy tank and I think 4-5 missile packs.

How many total are there? I have 175, I believe.

(EDIT)
Also that power bomb in Lower Norfair...the one with the ceiling door thaty ou need to come from, but the map gives no indication where that leads.

How many total are there? I have 175, I believe.

I believe its 230, going off memory.

(EDIT)
Also that power bomb in Lower Norfair...the one with the ceiling door thaty ou need to come from, but the map gives no indication where that leads.

EDIT for your EDIT:

if memory serves me right again, there is a long vertical shaft near that location with an invisible hole on the left hand side that the morph ball can fit in, this does not show up on the x-ray scope. (though that may be for a different power-up... bah i need to refresh myself on this game)

Daingurse

I've played this game several times before, but I cannot for the life of me master the wall jumping. Fuck this!

Haha, wall jumping is a bitch. I got it down fine eventually, but that shit wasn't remotely intuitive. Just got the muscle memory down after awhile.

so what Ive been asking myself for quite some time - Can you get out of Ridleys hideout without going through the big ass room that filled itself with lava earlier? Til now I always took the damage and went through there, lol...

oatmeal

Banned
so what Ive been asking myself for quite some time - Can you get out of Ridleys hideout without going through the big ass room that filled itself with lava earlier? Til now I always took the damage and went through there, lol...

Hah! I was wondering this yesterday as I went through there.

Instro

Yes there is a hidden exit at the top of the area with the rolling stone balls.

Socreges

Banned
Yes there is a hidden exit at the top of the area with the rolling stone balls.
Funny thing about this exit is that I found the other side FIRST, well before I'd even reached Lower Norfair. I spent a good 20 or so minutes hunting around the area to find out how to get to the other side (which is blocked by 'crumbling blocks') before giving up, so it was cool to exit Lower Norfair and end up reaching that area.

Socreges

Banned
Lol, but really, all I personally was thinking about during the end of Super Metroid was how Other M felt like something that took the story thread full circle. I was seriously thinking "why doesn't Samus care about the baby?" or "what are her thoughts on the events that had just transpired?" Other M answered those questions for me.

I'm serious.
My "what" was in response to, in order of severity:

1. "I wish gameplay was by Miyamato"
2. "It really feels like Other M"
3. "Poor controls"

iidesuyo

I'm playing this game again after many, many years.

Maybe I've aged too much, but I have problems keeping the orientation. Some areas have blue rocks, others have orange blocks, but they very much look the same. I look at the map and have no clue what is supposed to be where. It's unlike Castlevania SotN where every area has a complete distinct look and feel.

The gameplay is driving me nuts. Often precision is needed when the game just cannot deliver it.

Instro

I'm playing this game again after many, many years.

Maybe I've aged too much, but I have problems keeping the orientation. Some areas have blue rocks, others have orange blocks, but they very much look the same. I look at the map and have no clue what is supposed to be where. It's unlike Castlevania SotN where every area has a complete distinct look and feel.

The gameplay is driving me nuts. Often precision is needed when the game just cannot deliver it.

...Sounds like Metroid not Super Metroid.

To be honest, the jumping controls can be a little wonky. It's not very precise, space jumps require an unnecessary amount of timing, and wall jumps... well, we all know about the wall jumps, I'd imagine.

Because something requires fine timing, doesn't mean it isn't precise. Lack of precision would imply that you cannot get consistent result even when doing something correctly. You shouldn't be able to spam Space Jumps and Wall Jumps without putting in a little effort.

Kunan

Because something requires fine timing, doesn't mean it isn't precise. You shouldn't be able to spam Space Jumps and Wall Jumps without putting in a little effort.
To be fair, some things like releasing run a split second before run and jump feels a bit unnecessary. I always found space jumps to either be perfectly simple or awful depending on the room shapes. Also, the grappling beam took awhile to master and, even after that, there were still many areas where I would fail repeatedly over and over and over due to the split second timing required, for some areas, at the height of the swing.

Great game though!

Kangi

Because something requires fine timing, doesn't mean it isn't precise. Lack of precision would imply that you cannot get consistent result even when doing something correctly. You shouldn't be able to spam Space Jumps and Wall Jumps without putting in a little effort.

Tbqh, I don't see the point of having being able to actually jump correctly be some type of hurdle. Maybe some people like the challenge, but personally, I don't like spending five straight minutes in a room because I need to pull off a deathly accurate series of wall jumps. And that's as someone whose favorite genre is platformers.

Overall, that and the fact that
you can't leave Tourian after using the last save point
are my only two major gripes about the game.

beril

Tbqh, I don't see the point of having being able to actually jump correctly be some type of hurdle. Maybe some people like the challenge, but personally, I don't like spending five straight minutes in a room because I need to pull off a deathly accurate series of wall jumps. And that's as someone whose favorite genre is platformers.

Overall, that and the fact that
you can't leave Tourian after using the last save point
are my only two major gripes about the game.

You don't ever really need to walljump unless you're speedrunning and sequence breaking though. Except once if you go down to the walljump tutorial animals in brinstar. In that case you need to perform exactly one walljump to get back up. Maybe if you're aiming for 100% as well, but I think you should be able to get everything without it once you get spacejump. It's supposed to be a tricky technique for skilled players; having super easy MMX or NSMB style walljumps would kill the point of having it there to begin with

FlyFaster

the controls are pretty tight, not sure what some of you are going on about.

and the one guy with the "orange block" comment... seriously? SM has more variance in locations then many modern games.

Kangi

Maybe if you're aiming for 100% as well, but I think you should be able to get everything without it once you get spacejump.
Well, yes, I'm mostly referring to getting collectibles. But I don't feel that spacejump solves everything, either; as said above, it's still tricky to pull off in certain rooms.

It's supposed to be a tricky technique for skilled players; having super easy MMX or NSMB style walljumps would kill the point of having it there to begin with

Again, I just don't personally understand the point of it needing to be difficult to master. It seems like an unnecessary layer of difficulty (through sheer frustration) for a simple jumping mechanic. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't feel like the game would lose anything if they removed the strict timing walljumps and, in some cases, spacejumps require. All I can say is that needing to conquer the controls is a reason why I won't go through a second runthrough.

tand the one guy with the "orange block" comment... seriously? SM has more variance in locations then many modern games.

To be fair, it's sometimes difficult to remember if a room was in Brinstar or Norfair. Those two in particular are similar in places. Otherwise yes, there's plenty of variety.

Again, I just don't personally understand the point of it needing to be difficult to master. It seems like an unnecessary layer of difficulty (through sheer frustration) for a simple jumping mechanic. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't feel like the game would lose anything if they removed the strict timing walljumps and, in some cases, spacejumps require. All I can say is that needing to conquer the controls is a reason why I won't go through a second runthrough.
Some people enjoy the challenge of learning and mastering these techniques, which as was already pointed out, are mostly not necessary to complete the game. So while making these techniques easier would please some, others would view it as dumbing the game down and lose interest.

Look at it like this, if these techniques were easier you would do a second play-through, but I wouldn't. However, as the game is currently designed, you won't play it a second time, but lots of us have played it countless times because we find that challenge rewarding. Developers are making games easier and easier to the point where they are completely disposable; I for one am glad that games like Super Metroid exist.

Kunan

Just finished it today. Was my first playthrough (was 8 and didn't know any better when it came out lol). This game really is as good as people claim man; no rose tinted glasses are necessary. What a fantastic experience!

The best feels were finding another missile upgrade in the blocks right behind a current one. I only got about 67% in nearly 7 hours. I think I could probably beat it in 2 hours or so in a second playthrough.

It only took me (almost) 20 years, but I finally 100% finished this tonight. All item upgrades and energy tanks found.

M6Vb3aY.jpg

Decided to play it again on PC as I don't have a WiiU. That was 4 days well spent this week.

Now to try Mother Brain. I remember her being really easy. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

To be honest, the jumping controls can be a little wonky. It's not very precise, space jumps require an unnecessary amount of timing, and wall jumps... well, we all know about the wall jumps, I'd imagine.

Space Jumps are far easier in this game than Zero Mission and Fusion.

As for walljumps... use the stick!

led4lyfe

It took me about 12 years to realize the correct way to juggle the space jump. I still get annoyed by jumping forward and not activating the spin jump, I will never figure out why that happens.

Yuterald

Haven't really sat down and given this game a serious playthrough in years, but I just downloaded the Wii U version since it was on sale and played a good amount of it this morning. Such a fucking perfect game still. I always wanted to 100% the game under 3 hours as it's something I've never done when I was younger. I just got the Power Bombs and my time is at 57 minutes. I know I could do better, but how's that for not having played the game in many years? =D

Roo

God damn... can't believe this game is kicking my fucking ass again.
I beat it a few years ago but using the gamepad is giving me a hard time.
For some odd reason, I can't get to work the spacial jump hence I can't get the wave beam.
Any ideas about how to do it? I press (A) when the jump it's on its highest peak... nothing.

Don't know what else to do. infuriating :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5kiXuJ_4Ng#t=6m50s

Edit: nevermind... I give up. I'll do it the long way... power bomb and grappling beam first ¬¬'

Natetan

Is wall jumping really that difficult? I still can't pull off a fair amount of more advanced techniques regularly, wall jumping isn't a problem. Once you figure out the timing it's not hard. With space jump I usually kind of swirl for lack of a better description when going vertical to make sure it doesn't stop.

Kangi

God damn... can't believe this game is kicking my fucking ass again.
I beat it a few years ago but using the gamepad is giving me a hard time.
For some odd reason, I can't get to work the spacial jump hence I can't get the wave beam.
Any ideas about how to do it? I press (A) when the jump it's on its highest peak... nothing.

Don't know what else to do. infuriating :(

The spacejump? You don't jump when it's at its peak, you jump after you fall a bit from the peak. Yes, it's stupid.
But apparently people like it that way.

Though the video you linked doesn't seem to be a spacejump, it seems to be a walljump trick, and... yeah, good luck with that. I wouldn't know how to execute that. I can hardly do normal jumping portions without getting frustrated. ("STOP OVERCORRECTING, DANG IT.")

Playing SM for the first time after playing Metroid 1 and Retro's games and it scratches an itch no other game has done for me. A good blistering itch. The sense of dread and atmosphere is great.

It's making me want to make a game that focuses on exploration on an alien world, surviving using what vegetation is around. Prometheus, despite its problems, gave me that feeling. Moon with Sam Rockwell also had that too.

I hear how NASA is preparing to colonize Mars by 2037 and can only wonder about the moments of silence and homesick of the astronauts, how much good material that could make for a game. I feel like that in moments of Dark Souls, just that heartbreaking feeling of loneliness.

Don't mind me, just thinking aloud, love to hear others thoughts on a Metroid built for the 21st century beyond the Prime games.

oatmeal

Banned
Is there a good way to beat Ridley?

He's always been the problem I would have with a speed(ier) run. I have to load up on Energy Tanks to fight him and still only end up with 1 or 2 full.

Natetan

Is there a good way to beat Ridley?

He's always been the problem I would have with a speed(ier) run. I have to load up on Energy Tanks to fight him and still only end up with 1 or 2 full.

He jumps up and down on his tail. Stand on the very edge of the platform away from the direction he's facing and just blast up with super missles while he bounces around like an idiot.

(There's an energy tank in the room after ridley by the way)

Ein Bear

Just finished playing through this and Metroid Prime back-to-back. Damn, there really is no finer one-two punch in gaming. A new Metroid is my number one dream for E3.

nkarafo

Playing SM for the first time after playing Metroid 1 and Retro's games and it scratches an itch no other game has done for me. A good blistering itch. The sense of dread and atmosphere is great.

It's making me want to make a game that focuses on exploration on an alien world, surviving using what vegetation is around. Prometheus, despite its problems, gave me that feeling. Moon with Sam Rockwell also had that too.

I hear how NASA is preparing to colonize Mars by 2037 and can only wonder about the moments of silence and homesick of the astronauts, how much good material that could make for a game. I feel like that in moments of Dark Souls, just that heartbreaking feeling of loneliness.

Don't mind me, just thinking aloud, love to hear others thoughts on a Metroid built for the 21st century beyond the Prime games.
Yup, the feeling of isolation you get by exploring a hostile planet without anyone to aid you is one of the best things about this game's atmosphere. This is why i didn't like the later games so much. Especially OtherM which is the biggest offender of this. By trying to make it appeal more to the mainstream, not only they dumbed down the gameplay (there's basically not much exploration), they also introduced a bunch of crappy characters in order to make it a "story driven game" because mainstream games are like that, you know, all games need no be melodramatic, with stupid cliched plots, stereotypical characters, etc.

Just had my best run ever. I shit on phantoon and ridley where they usually give me trouble.

Im about to go for the ending but Im missing one single missile pack.

Time to go searching. Fuck my life.

Exactly, Nkarafo. I found this video of an indie game set on Mars. I'm wondering if it'll be able to capture that same feeling of the quiet moments of Metroid. And it also has a female protagonist. It's called "Lacuna Passage," continuing the tradition of strange sci-fi titles.

Looks really good. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YT0BFcvVwAI#t=0s

Yeah, Other M is just a bowl of sadness. Their heart was in the right place in trying to create a dramatic sci-fi saga with "emotions!" but Metroid isn't about that. It's about you (Samus) up against nature and the secrets of the ground you stand on, not the secrets of Samus' high school diary.

I love the idea of a game allowing you to be an actual scientist/archaeologist. Bringing items back to your ship, scanning, trying to break rocks open, looking for life.

There's that game set in a jungle where you have to perform chemistry for antidotes to survive. It's called Miasmata, made by two brothers. Definitely has a steep learning curve, but very interesting. It's kinda like a game built around exploring the Lost island.

Edit: I also want to add The Forest on Steam Greenlight, an atmospheric game by yourself also set in a jungle with some Minecraft elements, I guess, but on an HD level. Looks like it has potential: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143803558

Absolutely, Daingurse. Playing SM for the first time shows you how ahead Nintendo and Yoshio Sakamoto were.

Daingurse

Exactly, nkarafo. I found this video of an indie game set on Mars. I'm wondering if it'll be able to capture that same feeling of the quiet moments of Metroid. And it also has a female protagonist. It's called "Lacuna Passage," continuing the tradition of strange sci-fi titles.

Looks really good. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YT0BFcvVwAI#t=0s

Yeah, Other M is just a bowl of sadness. Their heart was in the right place in trying to create a dramatic sci-fi saga with "emotions!" but Metroid isn't about that. It's about you (Samus) up against nature and the secrets of the ground you stand on, not the secrets of Samus' high school diary.

I love the idea of a game allowing you to be an actual scientist/archaeologist. Bringing items back to your ship, scanning, trying to break rocks open, looking for life.

There's that game set in a jungle where you have to perform chemistry for antidotes to survive. It's called Miasmata, made by two brothers. Definitely has a steep learning curve, but very interesting. It's kinda like a game built around exploring the Lost island.

When I was requesting a game like an expedition months ago, people should have recommended Super Metroid. It hit all the right beats. It was a truly alien world. Nintendo give me a sense of isolation and exploration, give me another Super Metroid!

casmith07

Number 2 on my Top 10 games of all time. Yes, it's that good. Have it on cart on SNES, will buy on VC strictly for GamePad play while laying in bed.

Anybody rating this game anything less than 10/10 needs to be checked for traumatic brain injuries.

What an amazing game. I had the original cart on my Super Nintendo, but the game definitely did not resonate with me at all at that age. I really don't like the Virtual Console pricing, so I was really glad to be able to download this for thirty cents.

It took me eight hours to finish with 78% completion.

I have the luxury of owning Metroid Prime Trilogy, but those games didn't click with me, either. I even completed and enjoyed Metroid: Other M before I completed the original Metroid Prime (which seems to be regarded as the best). I still haven't beaten Echoes and haven't even started Corruption.

However, I think Super Metroid made me understand the isolation and atmosphere that is so important to Metroid fans. I forced myself to finish Metroid Prime, but now, thanks to Super Metroid, I remember it more fondly than before.

Socreges

Banned
For those of us requesting, specifically, another SUPER Metroid, and not just Metroid, how would that game be created while being unique enough to not just be a retread of the Super Metroid experience? Another alien world with a similar atmosphere? Maybe SR388 - claustrophobic, but modernized?

I'd actually love a Zero Mission type reboot of Metroid 2, though I have no idea if that makes sense.

If we get another 2D Metroid, and I'd consider us lucky, I think it would be along the lines of Metroid Fusion. An excellent game, but not Super.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For those of us requesting, specifically, another SUPER Metroid, and not just Metroid, how would that game be created while being unique enough to not just be a retread of the Super Metroid experience? Another alien world with a similar atmosphere? Maybe SR388 - claustrophobic, but modernized?

I'd actually love a Zero Mission type reboot of Metroid 2, though I have no idea if that makes sense.

If we get another 2D Metroid, and I'd consider us lucky, I think it would be along the lines of Metroid Fusion. An excellent game, but not Super.

Basically, I'd want another game with really moody atmosphere, and the same kind of pacing. I felt like Zero Mission was too brisk, and Fusion wasted time on story and lacked the oppressive atmosphere (though I liked both games quite a bit.) Also, no hand-holding. Please.

From what little we've seen of A Link to the Past 2, I feel like Nintendo knows exactly how to pull this sort of thing off... they just need to apply that to this series.

Top Bottom