• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Jubern

I totally agree too. I really liked the Huckies despite them being pretty much just Gundam ripoffs. So naturally I liked the Ashe, but the EX-Exbein... not so much. The basic frame is nice but otherwise the suit is waaaay too busy with those sliders all over and the (IMO) stupid sword. Nope nope nope.

I didn't play that much of OE, only like half of Chapter 1 before being a bit bored and switching to something else. I was thinking of waiting until the entire thing was available to see the reactions and it looks like I made the right call...

I finished my first MK3 playthrough over the week-end. I actually liked the game!
I'm not a "no upgrade" person but it made me wonder how one would go about it because by the end, my unupgraded grunts were getting destroyed in one hit and did crap damage.
I like how height actually plays a significant role in the game. I don't remember MK2 doing that but I didn't get very far in it.

Here's to hoping all the possession states and their awesome music make it to the OG "mainline".

I love how one of the first comments in the Exbein Ashe video is complaining how XXbein is lamer and it sucks we don't keep Exbein Ashe. Because it's so true. That sprite is ridiculously awesome. Whereas XXbein is dumb football robot >_<

This is so true. I was a bit underwhelmed by XeXbein (however you romanize that) because Ashe was so great.
Also, as someone who's been bitching for 15 years for Time Diver (Ingram's theme) to return, I think Ing's themes were actually better (as opposed to Cobray's in Alpha 3).

CorvoSol

I totally agree too. I really liked the Huckies despite them being pretty much just Gundam ripoffs. So naturally I liked the Ashe, but the EX-Exbein... not so much. The basic frame is nice but otherwise the suit is waaaay too busy with those sliders all over and the (IMO) stupid sword. Nope nope nope.

I didn't play that much of OE, only like half of Chapter 1 before being a bit bored and switching to something else. I was thinking of waiting until the entire thing was available to see the reactions and it looks like I made the right call...

OE is okay in small doses. My chief complaint is just that you basically have to spam your accuracy improvement spirits because the game skews accuracy hilariously in the enemy's favor. Also the shift to 3d models has severely reduced the quality of attack animations from Z2.

I love how one of the first comments in the Exbein Ashe video is complaining how XXbein is lamer and it sucks we don't keep Exbein Ashe. Because it's so true. That sprite is ridiculously awesome. Whereas XXbein is dumb football robot >_<

I must be the only one who liked the Ashe's upgrade. XXbein had everything the Ashe had and more (including a better T-Link Saber).

Jubern

Masou Kishin 3 bombed pretty hard, huh. Yesterday I was surprised to see the Vita version going for 2000 yens used in Akiba, but checking the prices on Amazon is even worse: PS3 version 1340 yens, PS Vita 2082 yens... NEW.

I'm temped to grab it TBH. I kinda liked Masou Kishin I but didn't played II, is this one any good?

Jaeger

Yea, I love the Ashe. There's just something about a "wounded" looking mecha that does something to me. Plus, dat cape.

I like Ex Exbein, but not nearly as much as the Ashe.

Speaking of sprites, I'm putting together a few more. Any request (2nd OG)?

Shouta

The Exbein has a better motify and look is the big reason it's better visually. It's a Knight and the cape helps it a lot. The Xexbein doesn't have a concept to it and just crams stuff on. It basically looks like an even fuglier version of Providence/Legend Gundam.

I would've preferred the sliders to be attached to various sections of the body instead of just the back to give it a more normal look.

I wouldn't mind the MX sprites if you can. At least, better than the crappy job I did, lol.

Jaeger

The Exbein has a better motify and look is the big reason it's better visually. It's a Knight and the cape helps it a lot. The Xexbein doesn't have a concept to it and just crams stuff on. It basically looks like an even fuglier version of Providence/Legend Gundam.

I would've preferred the sliders to be attached to various sections of the body instead of just the back to give it a more normal look.

I wouldn't mind the MX sprites if you can. At least, better than the crappy job I did, lol.

I agree about the Providence/Legend Gundams. I knew it reminded of something, for better or worse. Even the worst designs look wonderful in SD Sprite form shooting blasts all over the place.

What sprites you want in particular from MX?

Shouta

Garmraid Blaze. Hugo's version would be nice (can't remember the letter, lol).

Oh wait, brainfart. the Xexbein has too many sliders is the issue. It looks like a spikeball. I'm misremembering it because I don't really use it as much as I do other units. It might look ok if they dropped the positioning of the sword so it didn't stick out.

Jaeger

Garmraid Blaze. Hugo's version would be nice (can't remember the letter, lol).

Oh wait, brainfart. the Xexbein has too many sliders is the issue. It looks like a spikeball. I'm misremembering it because I don't really use it as much as I do other units. It might look ok if they dropped the positioning of the sword so it didn't stick out.

Gotcha. And the MX version over the 2nd OG version?

That's what they did though. There are some on both legs, arms, shoulders and waist as well as the back. All of XXbein's attacks are imo better where as the Ashe only has one interesting attack (T-Link Saber).

The way it uses the Sliders for its attacks is pretty interesting and how it seems to use weapons from previous Huckebeins. Since my JP knowledge is significantly impaired I don't know if the Sliders were developed for the XXbein specifically or if Ing just jacked them from that carrier. The black hole buster cannon was from one of the destroyed Huckebeins if my memory isn't failing me. This seems pretty fitting to me for an avenger.

I understand that people might just like the Ashe more but I think the direction they went with its upgrade has some good points to it.

Shouta

Gotcha. And the MX version over the 2nd OG version?

2nd OG version.

That's what they did though. There are some on both legs, arms, shoulders and waist as well as the back. All of XXbein's attacks are imo better where as the Ashe only has one interesting attack (T-Link Saber).

The way it uses the Sliders for its attacks is pretty interesting and how it seems to use weapons from previous Huckebeins. Since my JP knowledge is significantly impaired I don't know if the Sliders were developed for the XXbein specifically or if Ing just jacked them from that carrier. The black hole buster cannon was from one of the destroyed Huckebeins if my memory isn't failing me. This seems pretty fitting to me for an avenger.

I understand that people might just like the Ashe more but I think the direction they went with its upgrade has some good points to it.

Read my follow-up post.

CorvoSol

Oh, Layzner is in OE? Well that's a definite plus. Layzner was one of my favorite series I didn't know anything about in J. The mech looks like a Gundam with a weird hat on.

Read my follow-up post.

Hmm.

I think we're nearing the end of the upgrade paths for most if not all of the originals. By next game I'm expecting that all of the SRWA3 originals will have theirs (I can't see them leaving out Cobray for another game). It's been a long while since I played the game so I'm not sure who's left really.

Maybe they'll add something for the older characters that didn't really get anything new in 2nd OGS.

Bebpo

Banned
They'll just make new originals upgrade units for the characters. That'll be the main draw of OGs series down the line is to see stories that ended and unit upgrade paths that ended in their own games get extended further with new stories and new upgrades. We've already seen that for a couple of the units like Excellence Rescue and Crazy Missile Pack edition of Gungrust Kai for Irm.

Would like to see Kyosuke get a new upgrade down in a game or two. His Alt Eisen Reise has sucked for a while.

They'll just make new originals upgrade units for the characters. That'll be the main draw of OGs series down the line is to see stories that ended and unit upgrade paths that ended in their own games get extended further with new stories and new upgrades. We've already seen that for a couple of the units like Excellence Rescue and Crazy Missile Pack edition of Gungrust Kai for Irm.

Would like to see Kyosuke get a new upgrade down in a game or two. His Alt Eisen Reise has sucked for a while.

Makes sense.

As for Kyousuke, he and Excellen could both use something new. I wouldn't mind if the Shura characters ended up coming back too.

I want to see Folka's Ialdabaoth in HD.

Shouta

I suspect as we move into the Z-verse and the post-W games, older folks will be getting better mechs. So 3rd OGs and after. None of the current mechs really compete with the later ones in high specness.

Even around the time of MX and D, the older ones don't really compare.

Jubern

What about... Making another OGverse? I mean there's really only so much mechs and characters you can cram into that thing without overdoing it. The only problem I'm seeing is that all the popular/iconic OG chars are already in the current OGverse, so it might be hard to make people care for another one.

On another note, I ordered MKIII!. Vita version since I play my portables a lot more.

Jubern

Received Maso Kishin III. I'm not really surprised, but despite ordering from Amazon directly (and not a 3rd party), it's still the first pressing with the Valsione v. Inspector skin ahah

To the backlog it goes.

Trophy lists are up for Dark Prison and the action game that comes with it. Expectedly, no plat for Dark Prison, which mostly copies/pastes OG 2nd trophies. Nothing to write home about as the characters with specific trophies were already known and EX Hard and Special modes are confirmed but I'd have been surprised by the opposite.

I guess the Terius trophy might be hard if there are too few missions to level up? And if Terius is his usual sucky self.

http://www.exophase.com/game/&#1247...#12503;&#12522;&#12474;&#12531;-ps3/trophies/

http://www.exophase.com/game/&#1247...2823;&#25126;og-infinite-battle-ps3/trophies/

TimeKillr

Okay so I'm wondering what the hell Dark Prison is - I figured you guys would know :)

I apparently suck and I can't find a lot of info online in english, so... You apparently can't buy the game alone, you have to get it on PSN, otherwise it comes with Infinite Battle? Is it sort of an expansion pack to OG2? Or is it a standalone game? Is it a full-fledged game or is it something smaller?

I'm so crazy confused with this. :(

Shouta

Dark prison is only available with Infinite Battle for now. It's supposed to be available later as a download.

TimeKillr

Dark prison is only available with Infinite Battle for now. It's supposed to be available later as a download.

Alright, but is it a full-fledged game or is it some sort of expansion to OG2? Akurasu, which is my typical source, still has nothing on Dark Prison, so....

Shouta

Alright, but is it a full-fledged game or is it some sort of expansion to OG2? Akurasu, which is my typical source, still has nothing on Dark Prison, so....

DLC Expansion to 2nd OGs. It's basically like OG Gaiden or Alpha Gaiden but delivered in the most appropriate format.

Bebpo

Banned
DLC Expansion to 2nd OGs. It's basically like OG Gaiden or Alpha Gaiden but delivered in the most appropriate format.

We don't know this yet.

If it's just a romp through La Gies land re-using the units we already ran into their with almost no new units and maybe just a couple of new animations...that's more like low-content, low-budget DLC that we saw a lot this generation.

OGG and @G were decently meaty SRW games with more than a handful of new units and new animations. They were basically full on SRW games just half the size.

Now it's true that Dark Prison may secretly have a ton of new units and new attacks and be this big epic SRW game. But there's no info indicating that so far.

Shouta

We don't know this yet.

If it's just a romp through La Gies land re-using the units we already ran into their with almost no new units and maybe just a couple of new animations...that's more like low-content, low-budget DLC that we saw a lot this generation.

OGG and @G were decently meaty SRW games with more than a handful of new units and new animations. They were basically full on SRW games just half the size.

Now it's true that Dark Prison may secretly have a ton of new units and new attacks and be this big epic SRW game. But there's no info indicating that so far.

I'm not talking about the actual content and how meaty it is. Gaiden games are simply ones that are side-stories to a main title and are not necessary to understanding the main flow of the story but add richness to it. Both Alpha Gaiden and OG Gaiden are those types of games to their respective mainline titles although they're substantial in gameplay.

We don't know this yet.

There are videos on youtube/niconico showing a bunch of the new units/attacks. I have no idea how long it is though. Maybe something close to OG Gaiden (which was previously mentioned above)?

I'm going to wait for the downloadable release, since I don't have any interest in Infinite Battle.

My copy of Infinite Battle/Dark Prison might come today. Not really sure, the status hasn't changed since it was sitting in San Francisco customs on Saturday.

Wouldn't play it today, anyways. Go Hawks.

Shouta

Looking at the vids folks have put up for Dark Prison, looks like they didn't half-ass it. New characters, new mechs, new animations. Good stuff SRW team.

Bebpo

Banned
Looking at the vids folks have put up for Dark Prison, looks like they didn't half-ass it. New characters, new mechs, new animations. Good stuff SRW team.

Glad to hear it. Will play this when it's downloadable w/o crappy other game.

Shouta

Glad to hear it. Will play this when it's downloadable w/o crappy other game.

It's short though. It seems like 10 usable units overall and 30 stages or so from what I'm gathering. I saw the unit Selena is piloting and the attacks for it and she has an amazing cut-in for its final attack.

Bebpo

Banned
It's short though. It seems like 10 usable units overall and 30 stages or so from what I'm gathering. I saw the unit Selena is piloting and the attacks for it and she has an amazing cut-in for its final attack.

Wait, what. Man, we have the opposite definition of short. 10 playable units total over 30 maps? Sounds dragged out and long. If there's only 10 units I'd honestly want a campaign no longer than 15 maps total.

Shouta

Wait, what. Man, we have the opposite definition of short. 10 playable units total over 30 maps? Sounds dragged out and long. If there's only 10 units I'd honestly want a campaign no longer than 15 maps total.

First few maps are always junk though so it's really 20-25 maps honestly. And I think it's probably 10 max, but maybe a variety of them but I dunno, I don't have the game.

Those 10 units are pretty much the ones we already knew about. There's only one new unit and it's
a customized MP Huckebein
. I probably shouldn't have spoiled myself so much because now I'm having trouble justifying buying this for 3000 yen...

Top Bottom